Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Brexit and Trump could be good news for Canada’s tech scene

http://qz.com/846857/tech-jobs-in-ca...ump-in-the-us/

Some good news.

By 2019, it’s estimated there will be 182,000 job openings in Canada’s tech sector—and no Canadians to fill them. Better-known for maple syrup, snow-capped mountains, and head-of-state heartthrob Justin Trudeau, Canada is also home to a vibrant tech sector that is crying out for workers. And Donald Trump’s unlikely presidency may already be helping Canadian tech firms fill those spots.

On the night of Nov. 8, as many Americans realized that Trump was going to be elected president of the United States of America, a flood of hundreds of thousands of visitors crashed Canada’s immigration website. People were presumably looking for ways to relocate to Canada and escape whatever Trump has in store for the four years ahead.

But in fact, Americans accounted for just half of the surge in visits to the immigration website—visitors from other parts of the world made up the other half. But why?

Options for foreign workers looking to emigrate are narrowing. June’s Brexit decision in Britain was based in on a desire to tighten the UK’s border and restrict its flow of immigrants. Indeed, the future of the European Union, the world’s largest trade zone, is in question as anti-immigrant, right-wing parties in the Netherlands and in France seem poised for victory in 2017. In the US, on top of vowing to build a wall with Mexico and deport immigrants, Trump has promised to clamp down on the H-1B visas that bring 85,000 skilled international workers into America each year.

Meanwhile, across Canada, 71,000 tech companies are responsible for over 7% of Canada’s economic output and 5.6% of Canada’s total employment. Meanwhile, across Canada, 71,000 tech companies are responsible for over 7% of Canada’s economic output and 5.6% of Canada’s total employment: Technology now typically employs more people than mining, oil and gas, and forestry sectors combined. Canada, with its reputation for tolerance and openness to diversity and immigration, has been called one of the world’s last “safe harbors.” Add an almost unlimited demand for skilled workers across the country, and it’s easy to see why Canada could become the next hub for the globe-trotting workforce.

“Donald Trump has definitely been a topic of conversation here in Seattle,” says Dan Gunn, chief executive officer of VIATEC, a Canada-based community organization and 16,000 square-foot technology accelerator. In the days following the US election, Gunn was spending time in Seattle for Startup Week. “There are questions about what Trump means for tech and for tech workers in the States. Highly skilled workers from around the world, particularly visible or religious minorities who had their sights set on moving to the US, might look to Canada for opportunities instead.”

As head of VIATEC, Gunn helped build a thriving technology sector in Victoria—a small Canadian city of about 350,000 people located on an island just to the north of Seattle. Once known mainly as a sleepy government town and destination for retirees and tourists, Victoria is now home to a thriving tech scene that has attracted everyone from global giants like Amazon and Schneider Electric to game developers such as Kixeye and a Change.org satellite office.

Just like the rest of the Canadian technology sector, Victoria—nicknamed “Tectoria”—has plenty of job openings. “Canada is growing, a thriving innovation sector, and advanced technology has become the number-one industry in Victoria,” Gunn says. “Nearly 900 companies employ over 23,000 people here. And they’re always hiring.”

Across Canada, the need for workers is currently so great that a number of employers and industry organizations have banded together with the Canadian government to launch Go North Canada. The initiative is an attempt first and foremost to lure some of the more than 350,000 Canadians who work in Silicon Valley (as well as Canadians in other parts of the US) back home.

“Canadian companies are currently looking to fill three different kinds, of roles: technical talent, experienced sales and marketing talent, and people in leadership roles who have experience scaling up companies,” says Heather Galt, vice president for human resources at Communitech, an Ontario technology-startup hub, who is helping promote the Go North Campaign across Canada. Galt says that Canada can often offer a better quality of life compared to working in the US: It has better schools, lower commute times, and a stunning natural environment.

The Trudeau government has also announced a new strategy to make it easier for companies to recruit foreign tech talent.
    Compared to the H-1B visa process in the US, which can take about six months to set up, it normally takes nine months or more for foreign tech workers to receive a Canadian work visa.

“Dealing with red tape is the number-one obstacle to bringing foreign talent to Canada,” says Noah Warder. Warder leads operations at Sendwithus, a Victoria-based startup that builds tools for email marketing. “It’s much easier to bring Canadians north of the border,” he says.
    Could potentially be great news. I would love to see the best and brightest from all over the world choose Canada. Especially with anti immigrant tensions rising elsewhere.

As a Canadian I certainly talented individuals to apply to Canada. We can always use more diversity.

Deleted
    All BS btw Just people posturing

Didn't google announce that it would invest in the UK?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tennisace

Wow Tenn!!!! Thats amazing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Didn't google announce that it would invest in the UK?
    Pre Brexit? Why would they do so now.

New workers coming on a work visa, fine.

Importing more TFW's, not fine.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Americans are not leaving the US. They do this every election no matter who wins.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Could potentially be great news. I would love to see the best and brightest from all over the world choose Canada. Especially with anti immigrant tensions rising elsewhere.

As a Canadian I certainly talented individuals to apply to Canada. We can always use more diversity.
    Tennis what is a better metric for getting tech success, venture capital or diversity?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre Brexit? Why would they do so now.
    Google announced it this month.

You realise that Brexit wasn't a vote to halt immigration entirely, don't you? We will still let in workers who have skills we want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Tennis what is a better metric for getting tech success, venture capital or diversity?
    Does not compute, does not compute!
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Another mis-quote of Trump deporting immigrants... It's only illegal immigrants ffs...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broski View Post
    Another mis-quote of Trump deporting immigrants... It's only illegal immigrants ffs...
    It also infers that Polish plumbers not being eligible to work in the UK, will somehow damage the British tech industry. The article seems to be a load of ballcocks.

Ugh. Doesn't that say more about the Canadian education system if you can't get kids into STEM to fill these "182,000" jobs?

Also, wouldn't you want the better candidate instead of a "diverse" one?
    I get that you want to be inclusive, but you can't hire someone based on skin color or sex to make yourself look PC and have unqualified people in positions that matter to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It also infers that Polish plumbers not being eligible to work in the UK, will somehow damage the British tech industry. The article seems to be a load of ballcocks.
    My thoughts exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck with that. The people will soon realize that Canada's Winters suck. Why you think Silicon Valley is in California? It's always temperate there, and the weather is always good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    I get that you want to be inclusive, but you can't hire someone based on skin color or sex to make yourself look PC and have unqualified people in positions that matter to the world.
    You can if you are a racist/sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm a British tech worker considering my options. Canada is one of those. Debate in this country is currently being led by hate rags like the Daily Mail playing to the lowest common denominator. 48% of those who voted, voted to Remain and are now being branded Remoaners who shouldn't have a say in the future of their country despite the vast majority of topics of critical importance related to Brexit being unclear, unstated, and not voted on during the campaign (e.g. Single Market access, rights of EU citizens living in GB and vice versa, passporting rights for UK Financial Services etc).

The atmosphere is toxic and the loudest and most xenophobic voices are the ones most being listened to. As a highly educated professional couple, my wife and I would have no trouble getting jobs and visas to live in Canada or Australia. Close friends (also IT workers) have already emigrated to Portugal, disgusted at the tone of the debate here. Wealth creators, high net work individuals and those with skills will take the options open to them. If the government continues to pursue Hard Brexit and take us out of the Single Market (as has been suggested both by the EU and the UK is now likely), the economic impact will be devastating- if the jobs aren't here, those with skills that are in demand in places like Canada will take those skills where they are desired.

In short, you may think this is about Polish plumbers- in reality it's about an entire strata of British society (the strata that generates significant tax revenues that pay for the upkeep of the state) that may well choose to avoid the decade of chaos and uncertainty that beckons, by going to countries more welcoming of their talents and skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gilfanon View Post
    I'm a British tech worker considering my options. Canada is one of those. Debate in this country is currently being led by hate rags like the Daily Mail playing to the lowest common denominator. 48% of those who voted, voted to Remain and are now being branded Remoaners who shouldn't have a say in the future of their country despite the vast majority of topics of critical importance related to Brexit being unclear, unstated, and not voted on during the campaign (e.g. Single Market access, rights of EU citizens living in GB and vice versa, passporting rights for UK Financial Services etc).

The atmosphere is toxic and the loudest and most xenophobic voices are the ones most being listened to. As a highly educated professional couple, my wife and I would have no trouble getting jobs and visas to live in Canada or Australia. Close friends (also IT workers) have already emigrated to Portugal, disgusted at the tone of the debate here. Wealth creators, high net work individuals and those with skills will take the options open to them. If the government continues to pursue Hard Brexit and take us out of the Single Market (as has been suggested both by the EU and the UK is now likely), the economic impact will be devastating- if the jobs aren't here, those with skills that are in demand in places like Canada will take those skills where they are desired.

In short, you may think this is about Polish plumbers- in reality it's about an entire strata of British society (the strata that generates significant tax revenues that pay for the upkeep of the state) that may well choose to avoid the decade of chaos and uncertainty that beckons, by going to countries more welcoming of their talents and skills.
    I voted remain, we lost, shit happens and you play with the cards you are dealt. If you want to leave, then leave, nobody is going to stop you leaving unless you have a serious criminal record.

Quote Originally Posted by Broski View Post
    Donald Trump has spoken against imported skilled workers saying that they lower salaries for American workers, He also proposed increased requirements for skilled workers visa. He's also advocated getting rid of it altogether which is not any better.

“I know the H-1B very well. And it’s something that I, frankly, use, and I shouldn’t be allowed to use it. We shouldn’t have it. Very, very bad for workers. And second of all, I think it’s very important to say, well, I’m a businessman and I have to do what I have to do. When it’s sitting there waiting for you, but it’s very bad. It’s very bad for business in terms of — and it’s very bad for our workers and it’s unfair for our workers. And we should end it." - Donald Trump - 3/10/16.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2016-11-28 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Donald Trump has spoken against imported skilled workers saying that they lower salaries for American workers, He also proposed increased requirements for skilled workers visa.
    That isn't wrong though. Companies like apple love hiring people from other countries to steal jobs Americans could do. Trump is dry humping apple, giving the finger to china for manipulating currency and lax labor laws, telling Europe to foot their share of the bill, and enforcing immigration policies already in place, and If he is able to reign in some of these corporations who take advantage of globalism to skip taxes then he will be the best president ever. He is the king of debt and tax code so he should know where the loopholes and falts are. Can't wait for him to officially step in office.