Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I voted remain, we lost, shit happens and you play with the cards you are dealt. If you want to leave, then leave, nobody is going to stop you leaving unless you have a serious criminal record.
    That's exactly my point- people who can leave if/when the shit hits the fan will, because the highly skilled have options that those on low incomes don't have. Hence the article is not 'ballcock', but is simply making the point that if Canada makes itself attractive to people from the UK and US seeking a more progressive political environment to live, work and raise a family in, by reforming its immigration policies and reducing wait times for visas, it will have an opportunity to plug its tech skills gap, therefore making Brexit and Trump good for the Canadian IT sector. I think that's a fairly uncontroversial proposition and I'm surprised people in this thread seem to believe the article is saying something crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    What so like an electric syrup warmer? Drone poutine delivery? Cybernetic Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    That isn't wrong though. Companies like apple love hiring people from other countries to steal jobs Americans could do. Trump is dry humping apple, giving the finger to china for manipulating currency and lax labor laws, telling Europe to foot their share of the bill, and enforcing immigration policies already in place, and If he is able to reign in some of these corporations who take advantage of globalism to skip taxes then he will be the best president ever. He is the king of debt and tax code so he should know where the loopholes and falts are. Can't wait for him to officially step in office.
    omg, you do realize that Donald Trump does not actually do his own finances right? He has an expensive accountant like every other rich person to take advantage of loopholes. So you want his accountant for President?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    omg, you do realize that Donald Trump does not actually do his own finances right? He has an expensive accountant like every other rich person to take advantage of loopholes. So you want his accountant for President?
    Well.. Trump hired him so he has good taste in accountants.

That isn't wrong though. Companies like apple love hiring people from other countries to steal jobs Americans could do. Trump is dry humping apple, giving the finger to china for manipulating currency and lax labor laws, telling Europe to foot their share of the bill, and enforcing immigration policies already in place, and If he is able to reign in some of these corporations who take advantage of globalism to skip taxes then he will be the best president ever. He is the king of debt and tax code so he should know where the loopholes and falts are. Can't wait for him to officially step in office.
    People from other countries are not 'stealing jobs Americans could do'- companies understand that a breadth of experience, knowledge and skills comes from recruiting globally, particularly in the highly skilled end of the jobs market. An American designed the Zune. A Brit designed the iPod and the iMac, and helped turn Apple into the giant it is today. But I guess in Trump's America Ive would have been turned away at the border?

Labelling China a currency manipulator and withdrawing from TPP will bring a short term feel good factor and potentially an economic boost, particularly if paired with the kind of Keynesian stimulus that Republicans have fought against for 8 years, but in 2 years time when inflation is running at 5% and wage growth has nosedived people might start to see the downside of trashing the country that makes all the goods Americans love to consume.

Every US President since the foundation of NATO has complained that Europeans need to pay more in. The answer is not, however, to undermine the value of NATO as a deterrent and embolden NATO's enemies (particularly Putin) by trashing the principle of mutual defence. Trump thinks he's playing hardball, while in reality he is playing right into Putin's hands.

I'm amazed that Americans genuinely believe that a man so invested in his company that he emblazons every building he creates with his name in 60 foot letters will do anything to reign in Corporate tax avoidance when that would explicitly undermine his own business empire. This is a man who believes tax avoidance is 'smart' after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Some good news.

Could potentially be great news. I would love to see the best and brightest from all over the world choose Canada. Especially with anti immigrant tensions rising elsewhere.

As a Canadian I certainly talented individuals to apply to Canada. We can always use more diversity.

The United Kingdom will never be anti-immigrant.

What you dont seem to understand is that Brexit puts England in line with Canadas current immigration policy.....we get to pick the skilled workers, and only the skilled workers.

You personally, being Canadian, have never experienced an open border immigration policy.

A vote for Brexit, is a vote for the same system Canada uses.

Well.. Trump hired him so he has good taste in accountants.
    I order Indian food, I eat said Indian food therefore since I ordered good Indian I am a master Indian chef

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I order Indian food, I eat said Indian food therefore since I ordered good Indian I am a master Indian chef
    Exactly. /10chrs

Quote Originally Posted by gilfanon View Post
    That's exactly my point- people who can leave if/when the shit hits the fan will, because the highly skilled have options that those on low incomes don't have. Hence the article is not 'ballcock', but is simply making the point that if Canada makes itself attractive to people from the UK and US seeking a more progressive political environment to live, work and raise a family in, by reforming its immigration policies and reducing wait times for visas, it will have an opportunity to plug its tech skills gap, therefore making Brexit and Trump good for the Canadian IT sector. I think that's a fairly uncontroversial proposition and I'm surprised people in this thread seem to believe the article is saying something crazy.
    Canada was poaching skilled workers when Trump was just a candidate, now that he is going to be president there's a feeding frenzy on who is going to attract those workers. I am not sure why some people don't understand that people with those skill sets are in high demand worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Pre Brexit? Why would they do so now.
    Google will now invest in the UK.

The reason is that corporation taxes are subject to universal EU laws.

England are now free to lower corporate taxes and attract big business like never before.

Big companies choose to operate from countries with lower taxes.

If anything, England will take business with them, it is the EU that is in trouble when it comes to attracting business because all EU members are shackled with imposing larger taxations.

Which is hugely unattractive.

Theres a lot of mad people in here. I for one welcome any skilled laborers. Nothing wrong with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BourneWolf View Post
    The United Kingdom will never be anti-immigrant.

What you dont seem to understand is that Brexit puts England in line with Canadas current immigration policy.....we get to pick the skilled workers, and only the skilled workers.

You personally, being Canadian, have never experienced an open border immigration policy.

A vote for Brexit, is a vote for the same system Canada uses.
    Thats not a bad thing, we have a great immigration policy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that the article alleges that the Canadian immigration website crashed, on the night of the US election, due to somehow coincidentally a sudden stampede of people from other parts of the world to immigrate to Canada on that very night, kind of raises a big red flag of skepticism from me on the author's credibility.

And Canadian people know full well why Canada isn't more populated. It's a huge country geographically, with beautiful landscapes, generally very nice people, etc. But it's the cold. If I'm a company looking to outsource, I'd probably prefer to do it in a much lower cost country than Canada though. Canada's wages aren't nearly that much lower than the US to make it worthwhile to outsource there. So I'd either stay in-house or go much lower LCC. I see tech doing well there just for domestic needs primarily as it has globally. But I'm not sure I see a reason to believe it would be anything extraordinary, or affected as much as people believe by Brexit or Trump. A company basing fundamental business decisions on election results that sway in the wind every 4-8 years isn't likely to be a company that's around for long.

Quote Originally Posted by BourneWolf View Post
    Google will now invest in the UK.

The reason is that corporation taxes are subject to universal EU laws.

England are now free to lower corporate taxes and attract big business like never before.

Big companies choose to operate from countries with lower taxes.

If anything, England will take business with them, it is the EU that is in trouble when it comes to attracting business because all EU members are shackled with imposing larger taxations.

Which is hugely unattractive.
    Your analysis misses a few key points:

1) Tech companies like Google may be attracted by low taxation rates, but that's academic anyway as tech companies pretty much choose their effective tax rate based on how they move their profits around.

2) Google might be investing, but that investment does not necessarily bring benefits to the UK economy (see 1 above, or take a look at how much Google paid HMRC last year in corporation tax). The real question is whether traditional companies whose profits are more concrete (car manufacturers for example) will invest. So far the signs are not good given that the government has had to effectively guarantee single market access (with a likely cost to the exchequer if Single Market access is lost and car companies have to be compensated) to retain investment.

3) The model you're describing is essentially the Irish model. The difficulty with the UK competing on those terms with Ireland is a) Ireland has access to the single market, b) Ireland has already attracted many of the companies the UK would be courting and c) building your economy on the basis of a fight to the bottom on tax rates is not the best way of building in sustainability unless you're Lichtenstein and have a population of 15 men and a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Theres a lot of mad people in here. I for one welcome any skilled laborers. Nothing wrong with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats not a bad thing, we have a great immigration policy.
    Obtaining the best workforce is the same as picking the best players for a sports team. Its always a winning move.

TennisAce thinks that Brexit is an anti-immigrant strategy, when it is the complete opposite.

It is a pro-skilled immigrant strategy.

Too many people buying in too the Left Wing propaganda of "racism" i am afraid.

England is in a very healthy position short term, with the pound being weaker, labour and exports are currently cheaper, which attracts yet more business.

England has a high level of education in its workforce and management, which will eventually see the pound increase again.

At that moment, other countries will be dependant on our exports, we will have some of the most skilled workforce and management on the planet, and well, that will be that.

A prosperous nation.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no proof that shit wil hit the fan though, the whole doom and gloom scenario is being overplayed.

If people think Canada's current administration is a good thing, then I'd advocate we offered to help with their airfare. Trudeau is still batting for a discredited identity politics agenda whilst the rest of the West is kicking it into touch - the man praised Fidel Castro for fuck's sake, who used to put homosexuals into labour camps, his inability to maintain a consistent political thought is staggering - even France is going right wing. France!

There is no proof that shit wil hit the fan though, the whole doom and gloom scenario is being overplayed.

If people think Canada's current administration is a good thing, then I'd advocate we offered to help with their airfare. Trudeau is still batting for a discredited identity politics agenda whilst the rest of the West is kicking it into touch - the man praised Fidel Castro for fuck's sake, who used to put homosexuals into labour camps, his inability to maintain a consistent political thought is staggering - even France is going right wing. France!
    lol the way people have started turning on him here is absolutely hilarious to me.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yet the "progressive political environment" that Tennisace loves can't even match Israels venture capital, despite Israel being much smaller. Pragmatism beats idealism

You can if you are a racist/sexist.
    But only right-leaning folks are racists and sexists! Oh, also all Trump supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    lol the way people have started turning on him here is absolutely hilarious to me.
    People can glammour it up as racism as much as they like, but the truth is, nobody enjoys working two jobs at 60+ hours per week, living in a crummy apartment with zero money left over at the end of each month because it all goes on bills, just to see immigrant + family move into the big house down the end of the street.

The Left Wing lost because they forgot to respect the majority of the workforce and the value of hard graft. They took it for granted, and the workforce gave the Left Wing the middle finger.

Karma was served.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a British tech worker considering my options. Canada is one of those.......

As a highly educated professional couple, my wife and I would have no trouble getting jobs and visas to live in Canada or Australia.......
    Are you educated enough to see your own hypocrisy I ask? That Canadian system you laud, Australian system admire is the very one Brexit advocates for the UK.
    Canada and Australia would be far less attractive to you if instead of highly selective immigration policies any unskilled penniless Tom Dick and Harry could move and live in them.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"