Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post
    I. Amon Amarth I would say is folk metal?
    No. Not remotely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    All the bands I posted are melodic death metal. They might vary a little bit and drift towards/incorporate other genres, but at their core, they are melodic death metal bands. Amon Amarth, though often mistaken for a viking metal band, are a melodic death metal band. No confusion there.
    Last time I checked stuff like viking metal and pirate metal aren't genres.

Amon Amarth is MDM, with viking inspired lyrics, just as Alestorm is folk/power (I think?) with pirate themed lyrics. There's a lot of bands which focus on a specific theme in their albums.

http://www.metal-archives.com/ @ xogen

Very nice site, I often go there when I find a new band, browse a bit, learn new stuff.

Also it dooesn't really matter much what genre a band is. If you like it, it's good enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thoroughly hate how Viking Metal essentially has become something like shitty folky black metal.

Initially, Enslaved called themselves Viking Metal because, well, they weren't satanic and didn't want to call their music black metal despite it having striking similarities. Now, it's just a bunch of crap instead.

My track of the day, something different to all this dire death metal tosh. A true legend in the business, this is Saxon with the title track from their latest album, "Battering Ram".

At the moment I keep switching between 2 kind of genres. The Goregrind type and Black.

EDIT:

Might as well post this, because I've actualy been listening to them again since a few weeks. Seen them live twice, got to know the vocalist. They're really nice guys!
    Last edited by Gereorth666; 2016-11-28 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    all this dire death metal tosh.
    You really can just post without insulting harsh vocals

Edit: I don't know why I know them, but Teethgrinder seems really familiar. I'll give them a listen when I'm not the "DJ" at work.
    Last edited by Gib Lover; 2016-11-28 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    You really can just post without insulting harsh vocals
    I try to, but it's just so bloody awful I can't help myself

I actually do click on each of the vids posted here in the hope of finding a band I don't know about and that would interest me, nothing so far I'm afraid - it's all just noise without any musical ability as far as I can tell.

As a salve to your ego, this is about as extreme as I get, music wise -

Last edited by Davemetalhead; 2016-11-28 at 08:45 PM.

It has nothing to do with my ego, it's just annoying when over half your posts are shitting on what most of this thread likes. Like if you want to be the token trad guy, that's more than fine.

Also you dislike harsh vocals and call it noise/trash, but you post a band that has been grindcore, melodic death and straight death. Okay.
    Last edited by Gib Lover; 2016-11-28 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    What are some of the "heavier" bands you like? Maybe we can point you towards more stuff like that.

This is a melodic death metal band/album I really like. Atleast it says on the description it's MDM. Came out 3 weeks ago. :P Listened to it like 6 times? If you know something similar I'm happy to listen.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently this one came out this year as well. Tbh, I quite prefer the older stuff. This is far too straight forward for my tastes. No slide guitar, no cajun, no death n roll.

=/

Deleted
    I try to, but it's just so bloody awful I can't help myself

I actually do click on each of the vids posted here in the hope of finding a band I don't know about and that would interest me, nothing so far I'm afraid - it's all just noise without any musical ability as far as I can tell.

As a salve to your ego, this is about as extreme as I get, music wise -

Noise without any musical ability? You're just contradicting yourself here when posting this link.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post

This is a melodic death metal band/album I really like. Atleast it says on the description it's MDM. Came out 3 weeks ago. :P Listened to it like 6 times? If you know something similar I'm happy to listen.
    Did a few glimpses, I like this. I'll check them out.

Sometimes, you just need some Tech Death
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Noise without any musical ability? You're just contradicting yourself here when posting this link.
    Except this era Carcass actually constructed songs, you know, with riffs and all? Instead of just noise, which is how they were in their first two albums - they came of age with "Necroticism ..."

Track of the day, and time for some cheese ...

Deleted
    Except this era Carcass actually constructed songs, you know, with riffs and all? Instead of just noise, which is how they were in their first two albums - they came of age with "Necroticism ..."
    You do know nobody at all will take you serious with that attitude?

Peter just left In Flames.

What a sinking ship

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not many care, but Dutch Soulburn (the band is an Asphyx train wreck pretty much) new album is quite dividing opinions. I personally think it's at times pretty good, but overall it's a little repetitive.

10+ Year Old Account

Figured I'd post a song from one of my favourite albums of all time.

Folk/power influenced MDM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    You do know nobody at all will take you serious with that attitude?
    I don't really understand this attitude many of the old metalheads have. Some of my friends are also entirely the same and dislike anything new. I'm glad I am not stuck in the eighties and nineties anymore. Metal has evolved so much since then, and the genre is incredibly diverse nowadays. I certainly don't like all sub genres either, but music is so subjective that it is really pointless to argue over quality without some sort of frame of reference.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-11-30 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Peter just left In Flames.

What a sinking ship
    I think it's kind of sad what they've turned into. I mean they used to be a really solid band but unfortunately, everything they've done since Come Clarity has been trash in my opinion. I wasn't that much of a fan of CC either but it had some decent tracks in it.
    In Flames is a prime example of what happens when bands take their sound evolution or maturity if you will too far.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    snippy
    I hear some black in the Wintersun s/t as well. Excellent album, absolutely annihilates Time I.