Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Yes it should be limited by 2 potions use in fight. (potions only useable in combat). There are fights where pre-pot is totaly useless.

Deleted
    tank not even able to do pulltimer always when not having permission and anyone with the permission can do pull time so lets keep the tank part out ;p and if it's so important to pot you can talk about it before starting.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjl View Post
    There is no elegant way to get rid of prepotting without some retarded non-transparent conditions like "if you are in a raid zone and get into combat while pot buff is active it goes on permanent cd for duration of combat".
    so currently the potion cooldown is determined by:

if in combat
    -- lock potions
    else
    -- 60s cd

how to fix:

if in combat and combat time > 5 seconds
    -- lock potions
    else
    -- 60s cd
    Last edited by pmkaboo; 2016-11-29 at 03:22 PM.

I think you should be able to use 25 potions per fight.

- Alchemist

Deleted
    Lol why are you pre-potting in pugs? None of that content requires consumable use

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised it has stayed around for this long. Making them only usable in combat seems fair to me. Though I can see it being "outsmarted" in extreme cases with saving a trash pack before boss pull just so you can pot at the end of clearing..

Deleted
    At this point, probably. Make potions useable as much as any other CD - adjust cooldown/power if needed and pre-potting goes away. Pre-potting is kind of silly, and only a workaround to not being able to use them more often anyway. Also take their shared CD off other consumables because a lot of them make no logical sense and just reduce flexibility.

To sum up:
    All power potions share a CD, no 1-per-fight rule.
    Any non-power useable items have their own independent CD.

Alternatively, power potions only useable in combat and keep a number limit.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-11-29 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Lol why are you pre-potting in pugs? None of that content requires consumable use
    Good point. I mean, if everyone played to their fullest in pugs, then there wouldn't be a reason to complain on forums about how bad pugs are.

As for the actual topic, I'd wager that pre-potting was an unintended approach by players, and not enough of a problem for Blizzard to care much about at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    Is this "technique" outdated or clunky? I play heal main spec but when I do off spec DPS i always prolonged power pre pot but every time the tank doesn't drop combat or doesn't DBM pull not going to lie it irritates me. Sure you can say 'GiT GUD TANK PROLUM SOLVD" but realistically this isn't a adequate solution for the problem entirely when you run with hundreds of pugs.

Anyway should they change the way this works? I know its not a big issue but its something that is so easily fixed and its something we also use over and over and over again so anything that can help make these hundreds of dungeons feel more smoother should be addressed especially if its such a small, very easily fixed thing.
    Sure you can say 'GiT GUD TANK PROLUM SOLVD"

I say 'GiT GUD DPS PROUM SOLVD' pay attention and you will know when the tank pulls. Especially when you pre pot Prolonged Power which lasts a minute there is no real harm prepotting 3 secs before pull or 0.5 seconds before pull.

But I dont like pre-potting either. I think they should just give potions a reasonable cooldown. Maybe 3-5 minutes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I'm surprised it has stayed around for this long. Making them only usable in combat seems fair to me. Though I can see it being "outsmarted" in extreme cases with saving a trash pack before boss pull just so you can pot at the end of clearing..
    Remove buff at end of combat. Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    IMO a good change would be putting combat potions on the same CD as Invisibility potions, maybe make their CD reset on a raid wipe / upon death or put a debuff on the player which prevents use of combat potions for another 10 minutes similar to sated debuff.

Potions should have a tactical use, not "before the pull and once during the fight".

Invisibility potions lock you out of combat potions for 10 minutes anyway, it's a minor change to the system .... they could buff combat potions to compensate.
    That would actually be terrible. Invisibility potions and combat potions are totally different from each other. Skipping whole fights is much more meaningful than enchaning your abilities during a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Yes pre-potting is a bad design and should be changed.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Actually that's somewhere that Blizzard could really save players from themselves. Consider the start of Legion where people would waste tens of thousands (due to inflated potion prices) on a raid night pre-potting on pulls that had a snowball's chance in hell to result in a kill. Why? Just because it's just something you do. If they hadn't come up with BoS trader in 7.1 I would've ran out of gold (started Legion with 150k on a freshly transferred char) long ago and consequently would've stopped raiding as well. Farming for 2+ hours for every raiding hour is just too 2006 for me.
    Blizzard does not need to "Save the players from themselves". Players can make their own decisions. This is a game. If you make a wrong decision that is tied to a game mechanic (and not e.g. to a social interaction) it has no consequences whatsoever. Let players make their own decisions please.

Blizzard should just make pots useable twice and thats it.

I liked to run in as if I were going to pull, and then I stop. See lots of shit happen. High funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Yes it should, its annoying to have to check and see if people are using 2 pots every fight and if they're using their second pot in a proper place. Simple solution, make it so pot CDs don't start until after the pot ends, if the player is in combat then the CD doesn't start until after combat ends. Or as I saw above make it so pots can be used twice per fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Blizzard does not need to "Save the players from themselves". Players can make their own decisions. This is a game. If you make a wrong decision that is tied to a game mechanic (and not e.g. to a social interaction) it has no consequences whatsoever. Let players make their own decisions please.
    It doesn't matter what you think, because Blizzard saves players from themselves all the time. It's a consideration in almost every system they introduce - "how far will the most dedicated push this and do we need to curb that behaviour at some point?"

It's why we've had things like valor caps, arena point caps, why there were almost AP caps, why some things are time-gated or non-repeatable.

We're already seeing a ton of blow-back against unlimited M+ and unlimited AP farm, because players just don't know when to stop and they are going to blame the developer when an unlimited (or expensive in time/resources) system stops being fun or viable.

Not that I agree with the poster on the solution to potions, but you're 100% wrong that Blizzard doesn't need to consider the implications of any given game mechanic (including potions - which is why they currently have a 1-per-combat rule).

It's naive to think they'll change their own behaviour, rather than get mad at the devs, maybe look for exploits, then eventually stop playing.

Deleted
    It's a clunky mechanic that feels wrong from an immersion standpoint, and which also appears to only make the game less enjoyable (requiring more farm per raid hour). I don't see any good reason why it shouldn't be removed. In general I also hope that raiding costs can be reduced, or that it benefits in terms of gold can be boosted. It makes little sense that arguably the most challenging content in the game is discouraged so heavily in terms of gold. I'm losing it by about 10k a week, and I'm not even raiding hardcore and use potions and food conservatively.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Good point. I mean, if everyone played to their fullest in pugs, then there wouldn't be a reason to complain on forums about how bad pugs are.
    Why would you actually ever need to (pre-)pot in Normal/Heroic raid? Or in a dungeon group?
    I can kinda buy it in high-level M+..but c'mon now. Complaining about pug tanks wasting your pots is silly.
    The content is not designed for consumables in the first place. Just stop the tryharding already and relax, you can still kill everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iskariott View Post
    Blizzard should just make pots useable twice and thats it.
    How would that help with pre-potting?!

They should just put a flat 3 to 5 min CD on potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Why would you actually ever need to (pre-)pot in Normal/Heroic raid? Or in a dungeon group?
    Have a look around warcraft logs at normal mode raid content. That you aren't playing to your utmost doesn't mean than everyone else is following suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    It doesn't matter what you think, because Blizzard saves players from themselves all the time. It's a consideration in almost every system they introduce - "how far will the most dedicated push this and do we need to curb that behaviour at some point?"

It's why we've had things like valor caps, arena point caps, why there were almost AP caps, why some things are time-gated or non-repeatable.

We're already seeing a ton of blow-back against unlimited M+ and unlimited AP farm, because players just don't know when to stop and they are going to blame the developer when an unlimited (or expensive in time/resources) system stops being fun or viable.

Not that I agree with the poster on the solution to potions, but you're 100% wrong that Blizzard doesn't need to consider the implications of any given game mechanic (including potions - which is why they currently have a 1-per-combat rule).

It's naive to think they'll change their own behaviour, rather than get mad at the devs, maybe look for exploits, then eventually stop playing.
    I know they already do it, and it is and always was bad that they decided how players have to spend their time or that they force players to play alts because at some point there is nothing left to do for mains (because everything is restricted).
    So lets hope they have changed their opinion on this.