Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I don't really understand this attitude many of the old metalheads have. My friends are also entirely the same and dislike anything new. I'm glad I am not stuck in the eighties and nineties anymore. Metal has evolved so much since then, and the genre is incredibly diverse nowadays. I certainly don't like all sub genres either, but music is so subjective that it is really pointless to argue over quality without some sort of frame of reference.
    Had a friend of mine who was exactly the same. He's around 40, I am 27 myself, so I missed the 80/90s era. I started listening to metal during the Gothenburg era, around midway. But I love finding new bands. Listening to new albums. Discovering new bands is what intrigues me. That friend of mine just doesn't listen to the newer stuff (The modern metal sucks argument). Well, dig deeper, stay away from mainstream bands and listen to the underground bands. Bands who make music they want to make it. Not stay stuck listening to that first In Flames album.

Now ofcourse, I still have my favourites (First 2 Insomnium albums for instance), but it doesn't stop me from listening to the newer stuff.

How old are you btw?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Peter just left In Flames.

What a sinking ship
    I can't even listen to In Flames anymore. What a shitty albums they keep producing. Come Clarity was their last album I really liked.

The "problem" (which isn't a problem at all, honestly) with Dave isn't that he is stuck in the old days, it's that he actively shits on harsh vocals and calls black/death trash noise. You can love old music all you want and even dislike modern music or the trends metal has taken since the mid 80's till now, it just gets annoying when you have to keep mentioning it. It's like a vegan, we get it you're vegan you don't need to mention it every chance you get and shame people for eating meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Had a friend of mine who was exactly the same. He's around 40, I am 27 myself, so I missed the 80/90s era. I started listening to metal during the Gothenburg era, around midway. But I love finding new bands. Listening to new albums. Discovering new bands is what intrigues me. That friend of mine just doesn't listen to the newer stuff (The modern metal sucks). Well, dig deeper, stay away from mainstream bands and listen to the underground bands. Bands who make music they want to make it. Not stay stuck listening to that first In Flames album.

Now ofcourse, I still have my favourites (First 2 Insomnium albums for instance), but it doesn't stop me from listening to the newer stuff.

How old are you btw?
    Exactly, it is what I like the most as well about listening to metal. Constantly discovering new bands like Uada, Oathbreaker and Waldgefluster this year. I am 44 years old, grew up with thrash metal like Metallica, Testament, Overkill, Metal Church, etc, and thrash remains one of my favorite genres to date.

I know the guitarist of Insomnium by the way, he lives in the same city as I do. Though, recently I have seen him very little. Guess he is very busy nowadays with Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-11-30 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    That's the modern kind of melo-death I'm not too familiar with, since it doesn't do anything for me. Marweinicus probably has some recs for you in this case though. Aside from that I'd still advise you to give the bands in my previous post that you didn't know a try as well as the band that Duilliath posted. You could try these if you don't know them already:

I don't know really. I find it so difficult to compare bands. Just gotta check out my favourites list and scroll through that if you have my music taste

Can't go wrong with Allegaeon though. These guys make some sick albums. What did you think of Proponent for Sentience?

Speaking of Uada, apparently their concert on the 26th got broken up by an antifa riot. Sucks for the fans

It's nice to keep seeing new stuff. Sadly enough I don't see enough I like.
    Also.. Why are people talking shit about each others metal prefference? If you think it sounds like noise, doesn't make it noise.

Here's a shit ton of stuff I listen to. Hope there's no limit on video links one can post.
    Spoiler: 

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Gereorth666; 2016-11-30 at 04:05 PM.

Nails are good. I remember listening to that Ingested album years ago. It was alright.
    There's not really a limit to how many videos you can post at once, but put them in [collapse][/collapse] to avoid clutter and keep the time it takes to load the page reasonable.

You might like these guys, though I guess most of them are rather well known:
    Spoiler: 

I'll do that from now on Thanks for the tip!

And I actualy know all of them. Seen Cattle Decapitation live twice.
    Also, did you think Admoniable Putridity really needed a remaster on their album? I don't think they did.

Maybe you'll like this as well. Randomly bought an album of them once. Turned out to be a good purchase.

I'd really like to see Cattle Decap live at some point. I agree, Abominable Putridity didn't have to remaster their album. I can hear a slight difference, but I think the original is already battering enough, lol.

I'm also not much of a brutal/slam death guy. Abominable Putridity is the most you'll get from me, I'm afraid. There are some more exceptions like these guys though:
    [videoyoutube;MKCDMobDhrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCDMobDhrY[/video]

Absolutely crushing and technical album.

I also really liked this track last year, but the rest of the album was pretty unremarkable, imo.
    [videoyoutube;GDVwQ0mf1AY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVwQ0mf1AY[/video]
    Oh, quite a surprise! Well, I might have a few things that could be new to you. But I just have to post an obvious one.

So now that we had that, time for some other ones.

Origin's Entity album is pretty great. I like Gorgut's Obscura and Colored Sands is alright too. I don't really care about the rest of their output. Psychomancer is new to me, but they don't really do anything for me.
    That's a shame. I thought that Psychomancer gave me something I haven't heard in a long while. Different. A lot my music turns out to be Slamming, Goregrind, Grindcore related. Never realised that.
    But I did come across this. It's especially this song that I really like, not sure why.

Almost forgot to post about this one as well. Something I came across years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might like Wormrot. They're fairly entertaining.

Also, after the shit that Nails pulled, I'll never support them. Fuck that band.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: New Ash Borer streaming in full: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ns-black-metal

afaik Nails has done a lot of shady shit, like "breaking up" to cancel a tour, then going back on the breakup, the singer is apparently a total dude-bro highschool bully. I don't give much if any credence to identity politics, SJW culture, etc. but some of the shit he's said is pretty bad.

I still bought their newest album on vinyl because it was $8 though, no ragrets.

They are playing the cluster that is Hellfest 2017, too.

I dug the latest release at least enough to grab a special edition of it for real cheap, not like I go out of my way to listen to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about them just randomly cancelling their European tour or something? I forgot what it was.
    Yup. Just "broke up" and disappeared off the face of the planet to dodge a whole European Tour. Never gave any reason why. Just reform randomly some time later with a split EP with Full of Hell. Meant that a mate of mine suddenly lost one of the biggest draw on his festival. Fuck that shit.

I've never heard of either of those. Can't say that they really do anything for me, but they didn't sound bad at all. I'm sorry, I'm just very picky. Most people in here have given up on recommending stuff to me, lol.
    Hey, I barely know your exact music taste, and I already managed to post something you thought was "not bad".

EDIT:

Maybe you'll enjoy more BM.

Last edited by Gereorth666; 2016-11-29 at 11:17 PM.

Woods of Desolation owns, Gnaw Their Tongues are alright.

I've always wondered if the girl on the Abyss cover in your avatar is Chelsea Wolfe, looks kinda like her.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Listen to this, thank me later.

Thanks!

I'm not too fond of the vocals, though - LaBrie is fucking perfect imo.

That being said, any other stuff like this from you? I'd be delighted. I'll dive into Haken when I finish digging through all DT albums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Thanks!

I'm not too fond of the vocals, though - LaBrie is fucking perfect imo.

That being said, any other stuff like this from you? I'd be delighted. I'll dive into Haken when I finish digging through all DT albums.
    Check my post directly under the Haken post.

I know those two. I noticed that your avatar is a Gnaw their Tongues cover. Gnaw their Tongues don't do anything for me, but Woods of Desolation is on my list for a revisit.

To give you an idea, here are some releases from this year that I liked a lot:
    Spoiler: 

I'm liking those. I'll try these to you. I wouldn't be surprised if you already know them. But hey, let's give it a shot!

Track of the day - Sword "Outta Control"

I remember listening to Primitive Man at some point. Savage stuff. I know Oranssi Pazuzu, but they're not really my thing. I didn't know Meth Drinker, but I think I heard the name before, they're a bit too much traditional sludge for me though, I think.
    How about "Bongripper"? Some more Sludge/Doom Metal.