Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    and the lefties in this thread demonstrate again why they lost the election. Not surprising given the utter contempt you have for those who don't think like you. Ironic that it extends to blue-collar person, which they label the 'working class' or 'deplorable'. I thought the left leaning Democrats were supposed to stand up for these guys?
    Standing up for them doesn't mean doing a bunch of stupid shit to save 1000/1400/2000/whatever jobs. Good for them. Bad for everyone else, including all the other blue collar workers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Remember, this is a deal. They didn't just do this out of the kindness of their hearts. They're expecting corporate tax cuts and axed regulations. Willy nilly cutting of regulations is dangerous, because regulations tend to be there for a good reason.

If we take the first step towards all becoming Kansas to save 1000 jobs, then I'd contend we've made America worse.
    Right. the problem is that most people don't understand what you mean by Kansas, which is why Trump was elected. But, ya know, slogans make people feel good.

Standing up for them doesn't mean doing a bunch of stupid shit to save 1000/1400/2000/whatever jobs. Good for them. Bad for everyone else, including all the other blue collar workers.
    What stupid shit was done? Evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    That's a number that somebody else pulled out of their ass. I didn't bother questioning it the first time, but if you're going to make a bigger issue about it, how about a source for that?

Washington Post article says that Carrier originally announced that 1,400 jobs were moving to Mexico, not 2,000. They also previously agreed to keep 400 jobs in country after pressure was applied, before this agreement with Trump. With that unconfirmed math, Trump saved all the jobs. What now?
    Or, ya know, right from Carrier themselves.

https://twitter.com/Carrier/status/803764047300722688

Tighten up.

That sentence wasn't past tense. The sentence before this one was, though. I'm talking about Trump reiterating promises to cut corporate tax rates and cut regulations, and assuming that he'll actually follow through with it.

You're honestly trying way too hard to make attacks out of everything.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Remember, this is a deal. They didn't just do this out of the kindness of their hearts. They're expecting corporate tax cuts and axed regulations. Willy nilly cutting of regulations is dangerous, because regulations tend to be there for a good reason.

If we take the first step towards all becoming Kansas to save 1000 jobs, then I'd contend we've made America worse.
    that is what it is going to take to keep and bring back jobs we have to be able to compete with other nations

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't say it's nothing.

As near as I can see it there are three possible routes that they took

1. Significant tax breaks, meaning that Carrier is going to be passing on some of its tax burden on to the rest of us to save a thousand jobs.
    2. Regulatory give aways. Unlikely as I can't see what they could cut that would be profitable enough
    3. Promises of protection from Trump's future trade wars.

None of these look good for Americans as a whole, especially number 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    that is what it is going to take to keep and bring back jobs we have to be able to compete with other nations
    This deal is still a net loss in jobs for the US....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Right, fuck those other 1,000 though.
    Hillary probably would have saved all those jobs. Fuck me for voting Trump.

More Winning Please!

Winners make deals, and winners get rich, while losers just sit there and bitch.

sounds like an excellent deal. Most American jobs stay and they open a factory in Mexico which will concentrate of Mexican and Central American sales. I understand a significant number of Americans will work in the Mexican plant.

Or, we can train people for jobs that aren't going to be automated away in the next few decades and remain competitive for far longer. Instead of trying to push regressive policy to stave off the inevitable.

Just a suggestion.

Standing up for them doesn't mean doing a bunch of stupid shit to save 1000 jobs. Good for the 1000. Bad for everyone else, including all the other blue collar workers.
    considering the Donald has yet to take office that is already good. Unlike Barry who bends over for everyone else. I thought he promised to shut Guantanamo Bay within 100 days of his presidency and it still remains open almost a decade later. Time for someone with a spine to take charge.

Furthermore, presidents striking deals on a company by company basis sets a bad precedent going forward. This is basically inviting companies to use the threat of firing people to get goodies out of an administration that has no real inventive to strike a hard bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

1. Significant tax breaks, meaning that Carrier is going to be passing on some of its tax burden on to the rest of us to save a thousand jobs.
    2. Regulatory give aways. Unlikely as I can't see what they could cut that would be profitable enough

So basically you have no evidence of anything bad, but you want everybody to think it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    considering the Donald has yet to take office that is already good. Unlike Barry who bends over for everyone else
    Maybe you forgot how much the auto industry had to give away to get help.

I'm not going to bother with the back patting until his 4 years are up. a handful of jobs and of course a pivot from one of his many, many bullshit promises doesn't leave me with a lot of hope that it'll be a net gain.

so you read the deal made? can you please provide it so the rest of us can read it

I am sure the deal is a terrible one for the workers

So basically you have no evidence of anything bad, but you want everybody to think it anyway.
    If you're not going to discuss in good faith then get lost. Do you have any other ideas what Trump might have given away? Because I can't see one that is a net benefit to the public as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

This deal is still a net loss in jobs for the US....
    how is saving over a thousand jobs a net loss? that is a thousand people not on food stamps and welfare that is a thousand pay checks to help support the local economy a thousand pay checks that will be taxed by state and federal government
    so explain in your twisted absurd liberal math how is that a loss

Furthermore, presidents striking deals on a company by company basis sets a bad precedent going forward. This is basically inviting companies to use the threat of firing people to get goodies out of an administration that has no real inventive to strike a hard bargain.
    That's assuming companies are going to be dealing with the same kind of administrations as the past, and we don't know that's true.

Trump might decide the next company threatening to move to Mexico to get better tax incentives needs some negative reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I'm not going to bother with the back patting until his 4 years are up. a handful of jobs and of course a pivot from one of his many, many bullshit promises doesn't leave me with a lot of hope that it'll be a net gain.
    Its a nice distraction from selecting a Goldman Sachs guy who made billions off of the Madoff scheme for Treasury tho.