Been a couple of weeks but we saw a lot lately-

Moana 3/10
    Kinda bored me. Nice looking visuals but it's all too cutesy for my sensibilities. Kids disliked it as well.

Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them 1/10
    Garbage. Predictable, flat acting, cloying score. No point to any of this stuff; made worse by an attempt to ape better films from the 80s.

Edge of Seventeen 7/10
    Charming film. Good script and solid acting. Halie Steinfield is as impressive as ever; though it is pretty hard to believe a woman as beautiful as Steinfield (clearly a movie star) is a toad. Direction is a little unambitious. If the 2nd act wasn't so predictable I would likely be more favorable toward the film. There is a certain bite the movie lacks- it goes almost all the way.

Bleed for This 2/10
    Pretty bad. Bad script, bad acting and whatever direction.

Nocturnal Animals 8/10
    Thoughtful, wonderfully shot and acted. Great performance by Amy Adams and the direction is top notch. I did think the narrative dragged it's feet at times when the symbolism was already made obvious to us.

Tom Ford is just a wonderful filmmaker. I liked the ending of the film a lot too. Really good stuff.

The Love Witch 9/10
    MARVELOUS! Style out the yin yang. Terrific performances, incredible art direction and set design. Perfectly told narrative. Absolutely delightful in maturity and playfulness at once.

Moonlight 9/10
    Deeply humane. Great directing here but I felt some performances uneven. Cinematography is excellent too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them 1/10

Subjective opinions, gotta love em.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 8/10
    Fun movie. Although it's a damn shame that the "MACUSA" allowed their fears to rule them.

If you're a fan of the Harry Potter series then this won't disappoint.

It was said in the books how Ariana died, with the magic exploding out of her...and that's what we see here. And it doesn't really hit you until you remember it though.

I certainly hope for a future series of books involving the Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Indeed, we really need to see what occurs in a more modern era of magic on this side of the pond.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doctor Strange - 7/10

Deleted
    Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them - 6/10

I did not enjoy the acting, the atmosphere, the pacing and the way the world was delivered.

Because the world was on Harry Potters universe the movie didn't feel the responsibility to show us how the world "works". Instead it went right into action.
    Action that wasn't that good at all and i found the Monsters uninteresting and bland. They spent half the movie chasing a godamm mole without any kind of fantastic features or originality. A godamm bland mole or whatever it was.

I found this movie very bland and with very bad actor choices.
    The star of the movie was Jacob the wannabe baker, a Muggle, and that says a lot about the movie.

I hated it.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. 8/10

Very good movie. Has some really interesting moments that gets you back into the wizarding world along with bits that make sure it ties it into what we already know.

Can't wait for the rest of them now.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-11-21 at 08:01 PM.

Finally got around to watching the jungle book. Very nice movie. It dug up memories I didn't even know I still had. Very respectful of the original, just very nice.

8/10

Deleted
    The Boy and the Beast (2015) - 10/10

I never gave a 10 to a movie before but this movie is just amazing.
    A masterpiece in my eyes.

PM me if you would like a download link.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-11-26 at 03:48 AM.

Has anyone else seen Bone Tomahawk?

I thought it was an interesting film that went under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by SquallLionheart View Post
    Has anyone else seen Bone Tomahawk?

I thought it was an interesting film that went under the radar.
    The second post on this page did. I found it great aswell, I really loved Kurt Russel as the sherrif. And there aren't exactly many western horrors.

I'd rate it around a 8.5/10, an underrated gem.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The second post on this page did. I found it great aswell, I really loved Kurt Russel as the sherrif. And there aren't exactly many western horrors.

I'd rate it around a 8.5/10, an underrated gem.
    You should seek out The Burrowers if you like Western Horror films

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Ice Age 5: Collision Course - 4/10 (Bad)

As usual, the IA films continue to decline in quality with each successive sequel. This one didn't even make sense half the time!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Duel - 6.5/10

Decent considering the main actor, once again the villain makes the movie.

Captain Fantastic - 9/10

It was fantastic.

It would have gotten a 10 if not for that glaring plothole of the kids hiding out on the bus and the grandfather magically being removed from the picture along with his legal threats.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - 10/10

It's a classic.

Jason Bourne - 6.5/10

More of the same stuff, but it was entertaining.

Pete's Dragon - 5/10

Eh

The BFG - 6.5/10

Would of been a 7 if not for that weird ending, but it is a fantasy movie.

Don't Breathe - 7.5/10

Surprisingly good in every way.

War Dogs - 4.5/10

I couldn't stop wondering about Jonah's health and how he looked straight up suicidal as if he was an elephant looking for a place to die. I don't think he needed to become morbidly obese for this role, it made no sense, assuming it was done for this role.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    The Young Master: 10 ~ 10 So good, and littered with so many familiar faces. I love me some old school Jackie Chan, and Lily Li was so cute. Ah, this brings back fond memories of sitting in front of a television on a Sunday afternoon for some Black Belt Theater, while munching on pickled mango slices with a spicy sugar dip, and having massive diarrhea afterward. Holy crap... this is 36 years old?!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Deleted
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them 6/10

J.K. has no idea how to write other than straight up Good & Evil. The Third act is a let down. RAWR CGI MONSTA.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 cloverfield lane 7/10

I put off watching this for a while, despite living the first cloverfield film, after i heard this wasn't a sequel i lost interest in ever watching it, and the plot sounds a bit bland. but alas, i gave in and watched it, i had avoided all spoilers and didn't know much about the movie other than a girl and 2 guys are in an underground bunker. Really enjoyable to watch, howard is a complete creep, everything about him is unsettling through out the film, he played the part so well.

Pacific Rim 7/10

This movie straght up sucks, theres so much wrong with it and so many issues with the plot... but damn is it fun to watch!
    the things that bother me everytime though, the wall... just why???? i can understand the world governments thinking the Jaeger program is bad and the world needs something new to combat the monsters, but why a wall? The goverments know that the monsters keep coming, so whats the plan once a wall is built? just let the monsters roam around the pacific ocean and hope they dont ever attack a wall? and those monsters just trample skyscrapers all over the place, why would they think building a concrete wall would stop well?
    and second issue is the sword on gypsy danger, that sword slices through the kaiju like a warm knife through butter, but instead they opt to punch the kaiju for 10mins instead. yeah it looks cool, but i wish they'd either never have the sword or give some reason why they dont just start every fight with the sword out, slice the kaiju in half and then go home and celebrate, rather than having a 15min fight fight with the kaiju that destroys a good chunk of the city.

plenty more issues, but all that aside, its a fun film !
    dragonmaw - EU

Arrival (2016) - 9/10

Sci-fi. Mystery. Thriller! What more could one ask for. It's a very interesting take on the "aliens land on Earth" premise, and it delivers on the mystery and a kind of atmospheric thrill somewhat similar to certain parts of A Space Odyssey (and Prisoners, but that is probably because Prisoners and Arrival both were directed by Denis Villeneuve). It shares some similarities with Interstellar too, thematic and story-wise. Both focuses on a cast of characters who approach things mostly professionally and scientifically. Amy Adams is great in the movie, along with everyone else.

The one thing which holds me back a bit is the fact that there's not a lot of plotbeats in the movie, as in, stuff happening. There's this looming threat of the world going nuts because of the aliens, but I never felt like it properly took off, and they kind of time-skipped them actually progressively learning to communicate with the aliens, which felt a bit weird.

I'm not 100% sure on whether it's a very high 8/10 or a proper 9/10. Since the mystery elements filled quite a bit in the movie, I'm interested to see it again knowing it all, to see if it holds up. Either way, it makes me a bit more hopeful for Blade Runner 2049.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2016-11-30 at 01:28 AM.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Arrival. I liked it... 7/10ish.

Watched Memento (2000) on my desktop at the recommendation of @icedwarrior. It's a crime/mystery/mental health movie about the story of some guy who can't create memories after a certain point, and he randomly resets and forgets where he's at in his journey. I can't say ANY details because it'll literally be a spoiler: the movie is told backwards.

Plot: It's a bit predictable. I mean, at like 20 minutes in you've essentially seen the climax of the movie so you're piecing together how you got there, but you know the movie still has 90 minutes left so it has to have something left to keep you interested.

Story: Looking back, it's somewhat straightforward. Even watching scene by scene, ending to beginning (AKA you're just watching the movie normally) it's a bit easy to follow. The way the scenes are linked so that the scene you just watched preps you right into the scene you just watched is done well, but it's not like miraculously good.

(To put that to reference, imagine something like Game of Thrones where the scenes of the whole episode all kind of come together indirectly for what happens at the end of the episode so multiple plot lines lead up to a climax in one story line. THAT would be something miraculous. This movie is just like, they link the scenes together in a passable way.)

Theme: I know a lot of people on this forum may be interested in the mental health aspect. It was quite interesting. Actually, the parts about mental health were more fascinating than the actual story of the movie.

Ending: It was good, like. It was a tiny bit satisfying seeing what led to the climax and exactly how everything fit together, but it wasn't mind blowing. I also didn't like that it wasn't a (not plot-spoilers) happy ending. It turns out that the narrator (genuine spoilers, don't click until you see the movie) is just an asshole in denial, and that puts me off, personally.

I think the style of the movie makes it commendable (it's in top 50 of IMDB's list) and makes it somewhat interesting to watch, and while it does accomplish the style well, compared to other media/movies/shows I've seen better. I'll give it a 5/10 on our scale. Probably 2 points for the content of the movie, 3 points for the style it's presented. Despite such an average rating, because of the style it's still probably in a "top 100 movies you should see" list. So...recommended, but don't put it high on your priority list.

Monster's University - 7/10 (Good)

Dean Abagail was the best!