Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbadubba View Post
    Now lets turn this into a game of fill in the blanks.

1. But I am good at fapping and driving.

2. I fapped and driving because it was an emergency.

3. It isn't that bad to fap and driving.

4. I fap and drove before and was fine.
    I like your game, please do mroe
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    All more fodder for the advent of self-driving vehicles.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    No offence, but people with the attitude you display are a MASSIVE problem. Your comment is not only patently false, but worse, you confidently think you're right.

The famous quote (ironically falsely attributed to Mark Twain) applies: “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

Let me be clear. Any alcohol in your system impairs your ability to drive safely. The more you have the worse it gets. 3 or 4 beers within an hour or so and then driving significantly increases your probability of fucking up on the road. Obviously your odds of getting to your destination without incident are still in your favour, but it's still a stupid risk to take.

Also, alcohol impairs your ability to judge things accurately, so people who have had a few drinks will feel that they are 100% fine. In fact they tend to feel even more confident in their abilities than when they're sober. But it's because the alcohol has compromised their ability to accurate assess their condition. What is even more shocking is the number of people who are incapable of recognising this after they're sober again.

It's just so, so stupid. You cannot trust your senses when you've had something to drink, which makes it super important that you make a conscious effort to put aside your ego and, while sober, admit that even you are not fit to drive if you've had more than 1 drink, instead of trying to convince yourself that all your reckless behaviour was actually perfectly fine because so far you've got away with it.
    Do you feel it's dangerous to drive on an empty stomach as well? lol.

Pro-tip: Only drink at home or at a bar within walking distance of your place, or a friend's place. Offer your floor to any friends you're out with.

Problem solved. Well, other than the alcoholism and stuff, but otherwise problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me be clear. Any alcohol in your system impairs your ability to drive safely.

/snipped most of the post
    Not disagreeing with your fundamental point at all, but...

Exhaustion, sleep deprivation, emotional distress, various distractions, and other factors impair your ability to drive as well.

Should I be allowed to drive after working 14 hours after working 16 hours the previous day, with my mind spinning around with my action item list I need to start five hours from now, and my phone is blowing up with texts from my GF wondering where I am? (No, I don't use phone while driving).

Just curious which impairment is worse.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    I would vote for any party that allows drunks to drive. I see no reason to not allow it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Do you feel it's dangerous to drive on an empty stomach as well? lol.
    That's some deflection there mate. I must have really touched a nerve. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Exhaustion, sleep deprivation, emotional distress, various distractions, and other factors impair your ability to drive as well.

Should I be allowed to drive after working 14 hours after working 16 hours the previous day, with my mind spinning around with my action item list I need to start five hours from now, and my phone is blowing up with texts from my GF wondering where I am? (No, I don't use phone while driving).

Just curious which impairment is worse.
    Does it really matter which impairment is worse? I mean of course you raise a valid point - but for a different topic. It's an issue that is independent of the question at hand.

What matters is that drink driving is a demonstrably significant impairment, and unlike the issues you raise, is actually pretty simple, straightforward and unambiguous. It's a simple choice and really there is no excuse to do it.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2016-11-30 at 06:47 AM.

What matters is that drink driving is a demonstrably significant impairment, and unlike the issues you raise, is actually pretty simple, straightforward and unambiguous. It's a simple choice and really there is no excuse to do it.
    It's straightforward as a matter of law (0.08 BAC where I live). But it's really not that simple. I know people who can have two drinks and be staggering drunk. I also know people who can have ten and be completely composed.

Again, agreed that nobody should drive without at least some rest/sleep/recovery after drinking. See my post above; I suggested always drinking at a bar within walking distance of a place you can stay, or at a place you can stay.

However, shouldn't police also ask something like, "How much sleep did you get last night?" Sleep deprivation is just as impairing as alcohol, one reason that professional drivers have to pull over and rest.

It's straightforward as a matter of law (0.08 BAC where I live). But it's really not that simple. I know people who can have two drinks and be staggering drunk. I also know people who can have ten and be completely composed.

Again, agreed that nobody should drive without at least some rest/sleep/recovery after drinking. See my post above; I suggested always drinking at a bar within walking distance of a place you can stay, or at a place you can stay.

However, shouldn't police also ask something like, "How much sleep did you get last night?" Sleep deprivation is just as impairing as alcohol, one reason that professional drivers have to pull over and rest.
    Police do ask that once the breathalyzer test is negative. If you are sleep deprived, you will still be hit with a DWI instead.

If you drive weird, they're going to find out why you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    What a great example of contradiction in once sentence.
    If you can't walk couple of miles because you drunk - you shouldn't be driving. Call a fucking taxi
    Drunk logic. It never makes sense unless you're drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoomkin View Post
    Police do ask that once the breathalyzer test is negative. If you are sleep deprived, you will still be hit with a DWI instead.
    Umm, where? And how do they prove anything? Summon my GF to court? "Yes, your honor, he was in bed all night." Doesn't mean I was sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Drunk logic. It never makes sense unless you're drunk.
    "I'm in no condition to drive...wait, I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!"

Umm, where? And how do they prove anything? Summon my GF to court? "Yes, your honor, he was in bed all night." Doesn't mean I was sleeping.
    A quick google search will tell you that. The law varies from state to state. Most of the time, it is more regulated for those that do hauling, or airline services. As a result, they have to restrain how much one can work and how soon they can put them back into work since those guys tend to kill alot of people if they doze off.

However, it is making its way to civilians.

An officer can follow you, keep their distance and show to the court your ability(or inability) to drive. Police reports can also weight into their favor.

Just like they test you for alcohol, a similar test is used to identify a person that hasn't had sleep.

Sleep deprivation keeps you from focusing and physical signs are definitely present in those who didn't get sleep for well over 24 hours.

They focus more on your ability to focus on something, recall something they said, or reaction timing.
    Last edited by DoctorDoomkin; 2016-11-30 at 08:32 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's straightforward as a matter of law (0.08 BAC where I live). But it's really not that simple.
    Actually it is, and if people could just realise this, it would save thousands of lives every year. The problem is people choose to complicate the issue because they want to have their proverbial cake and eat it. The objective of every driver should be to have a Blood-Alcohol Level of 0 before getting behind the wheel, not to see how close they can get to the legal limit.

I know people who can have two drinks and be staggering drunk. I also know people who can have ten and be completely composed.
    Being composed and being able to react to an emergency situation while driving are not the same thing. Even if we accept the premise that some people will be more severely affected by the same quantity of alcohol consumption as others, it is a scientifically proven fact that everyone suffers diminished response times and impaired judgement together with a heightened sense of self confidence after any alcohol consumption.

I purposely avoided engaging in this discussion because I believe it is a red herring that serves only to detract from the issue at hand. I don't see any value in deflecting from a far more serious issue that is entirely about personal accountability with a far more minor issue that deals largely with grey areas.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    The laws and enforcement for DUI's are way to strict. I've been nailed twice for a DUI. Had I been 21 on my first breathilizer I would have passed, since I was 19, I got DUI'd blowing in the hundreds of thousandsth over .02 on 2 out of several breath tests. My second time, I got DUI'd in my apartment complex, on a saturday morning at 7:30am as police came to pick me up for a collect warrant. Wasn't driving on the road, just moving my truck for my landlord so he could drop building materials into the apartment next to us. I refused the second one as I was on private property and not on the road. It's the equivilent of giving a guy whos mowing his lawn and drinking a beer a DUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Can you link a source that texting and driving is more dangerous? I honestly have no idea how you can even actually do any sort of real study on that.

I guarantee you a significant amount more people text and drive compared to drinking and driving. I also guarantee you far more people are caught drinking and driving than texting and driving. I've done it several times, typically on roads with like 30 mph speed limits and no traffic. It's not really that distracting either since I can do it without looking at my phone.
    I can't find the exact study from the university (this was done a few years ago when I was in university and I had to do a paper on if texting and driving should be illegal). If you google it you can find an abundance of information. I will list the information I remember from when I was in school.

The issue with texting and driving is that you are looking away from the road and concentrating on something else. It causes something like 20x decrease in awareness and reaction time well you text and drive. Going 30 mph is still dangerous due to you looking away from the road and concentrate well texting. You are still traveling a large distance well your looking at your phone. It being an empty road means nothing if you end up smashed into a light post or something runs across the road.

The largest reason between the two is that drunk drivers are usually still concentrating on the road. When you drink and drive you sober up a bit, you tend to go the speed limit and try your hardest to stay on the road but the biggest reason is that you are putting your whole concentration into driving. I am not saying drinking and driving is safe, I am saying that due to drunk drivers trying not to get caught, they drive more within the law. To not get caught while texting and driving (if it is even illegal where you live) you then have to put your phone even lower then it was, this means that you're concentration on your phone is even larger which lowers your reaction speeds. Even if you are not looking at your phone, you are still concentrating on what you are typing, your brain has it's main focus on texting, not driving.

It gets down to reaction time which causes drunk driving to be less dangerous.

The years before my paper, drunk driving accidents were on the decline well texting and driving causing accidents was on the rise. The study was done by testing drivers texting while driving, they eventually were able to create some numbers, it wasn't compared to drinking and driving until it started surpassing drinking and driving accidents. A further study then was done to compare drunk drivers and texting drivers. The drunk driver was dangerous but more aware of their surroundings. The texting driver was equally all over the road and reaction time was a lot slower then the drunk driver.

My roommate texts and drive and he is a perfect example of someone who says they can do it. He has six accidents, mainly from texting and driving which caused him not to be aware enough to react. I have seen him drive down the street we live on and can tell when he is texting and driving because he starts slightly going into other lanes.

I want to link some websites that have information but I don't have time to skim through them to find out which ones have legit information. Both are bad though, texting and driving is never safe. I never thought it was that bad until I had to do a paper on those studies, the statistics are actually disgusting on how many accidents have cell phones involved or to blame.

In the US where most of us own cars and drive because of the vast distances, drinking and driving is more common. I bet every American knows of someone who died drinking and driving and God forbid they had people killed by a drunk driver.

10,000 people died due to drunks in 2014 alone.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    It's a really bad snowball effect where you go out and say have a beer or two and still feel fine. So you drive and everything goes off without a hitch. Then the next time you think... well maybe I can have one more? And again you drive back home no problem. This keeps going and going until shit inevitably hits the fan.

For me it took passing out in my car at a gas station and waking up to a cop putting me in handcuffs to straighten up. Fortunately he let me off with PI and not DWI
    Damn. Lucky man.

OT: Basically people do stupid shit and don't learn.

I work security and we caught a 22 year old not too long ago crashed her car on our property. The police showed up and after looking her up in the system found it was gonna be her third DUI. At fucking 22. Just crazy.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

My point was that there's no good way to get actual statistics for such a thing because millions of people text and drive hundreds, probably thousands of times, over a few years without ever getting caught. There's no way to get an accurate sample of this. I'm sure there are also tons of people who drink and drive and are never caught but I doubt as many get away with it, percentage wise, obviously is the important thing to look at.
    You can never gauge how many people text and drive or drink and drive. The statistics are not focusing on that as much, they are actually testing drunk drivers vs drivers that text. The only reason that statistic of accidents is shown is because texting and driving accidents are on the rise, they then compared it to the worst thing a driver can do to gauge how bad it is. That number will always been shown but it isn't the deciding factor on why texting is worse then drinking.

The actual study comparing the two by testing multiple drivers was the reason why they found texting and driving to be worse. You can still use those statistics with the findings of testing drivers to help show the point being made about how dangerous texting and driving is when it is never being looked at the same way drinking and driving is/was.

If we really want to go by statistics without the testing, what you do is compare drunk driving statistics to when it was legal compared to texting well driving. Again it wont be exact but it will show how dangerous texting and driving is.

So you can't look at it percentage wise of how many people get away with it, they are actually studying the reaction and concentration comparison of both. Statistics are just the icing on top.

If you can only judge how dangerous something is by statistics, then go look up how many accidents are caused in the US each year by texting and driving. But those numbers are not even correct because it should be higher. Cops usually wont check your phone activity after a crash, they will however go over and check if you were impaired well driving. This then comes to question what your point is, that more people get away with texting well driving, that is true but more people get away with causing an accident when they use a phone due to the law not looking at it at the same extent as driving well drunk.

All in all, texting and driving is worse in an average situation and should be treated as so. So then I go back to my original point that look at how people view texting and driving, that will help you better understand why people still drink and drive if you are having a difficult time figuring out how people are so ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Alcohol is for weak people, in the first place. Them thinking they're special and can drive in that state is just proving how weak they are.
    jesus was a weak person, and all the priests that drink wine after changing it to blood every fking sunday are weak, and alex the great is weak, and mr churchhill, he was weak as fuck, but Hitler was strong in your weird world.

Texting and driving becoming more prevalent has nothing to do with the dangers of it at all. Like, there's literally zero correlation between them. I'm not saying it isn't dangerous but just because more people are staring to do something, doesn't in anyway imply it is more dangerous than something that people are doing less. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "comparing the two".

I really don't think you'll convince many people that texting while driving is even close to as bad as drunk driving. Not even close.
    So you obviously ignored what I said, they did a study on how well people drove well texting. This then got compared to drunk drivers which opened up a study on the two. Take statistics out of it, statistics only opened the idea of the studies. Texting and driving puts you at a more likely chance to get in an accident then drunk driving due to multiple variables with the main problem being reaction time.

The comparison between the two was done because Drunk driving was the prime contender when people think about dangerous driving. They then came to the conclusion that texting and driving is more dangerous then drunk driving due the findings.

You are actually the point I am trying to make, people don't think texting and driving is worse then drunk driving. Why don't you think it is worse then drunk driving ? It seems you have a bias opinion on the topic, probably because you text and drive.

In this discussion OP is trying to figure out why people drink and driver, well why do people text and drive ? The answer you would give me would be so similar to the reasoning drunk drivers would give. So that is how you can easily figure out why people drink and drive, it is mainly due to ignorance to the fact on how dangerous it actually is.