Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Youn View Post
    Look at it this way,

The guy could have easily walked out onto his lawn and stabbed himself in the neck with a knife. Your not going to stop someone that really wants to die. His method of death was clean and controlled.

Note: I choose specifically not to involve a firearm in my example because people claim banning them will stop death. We could ban sharp objects but cooking may be very interesting without any knives.
    I like how you felt the need to specifically wedge in your gun control agenda, in a thread that not a single person even mentioned guns, and in a country that is not the US.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Government should have no say when ever you live or die

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The question should you stop people from killing themselves? This person got a legal permit to commit suicide. His method was to ask a doctor to do it for him. In other parts of the world where euthanasia is not legal people just kill themselves anyways. So, the question then becomes. Why does it matter that he wasn't suffering from a truly fatal disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    YOU shouldn't have a say in what people do in their lives. I don't care how you feel about it. Obviously, laws to protect grandchildren from killing you will come with euthanasia laws.
    This isn't about you. It's about them.

It should be about making sure that's what they really want. That can prove to be a fruitless endeavor, hence why most countries deem it illegal.

Depending on how susceptible you are to a addiction and your personal emotions, something like a alcohol addiction can make life living hell.
    You can replace alcohol with anything honestly.
    Addictions are a disease, just like any other. Just because it's downplayed in current society doesn't change the fact that it can be life devastating.

His addiction most likely wasn't the only thing that made his life miserable.

Rather have people do this than jump from some tall building or shooting their brains out.

It doesn't matter how "bad" others have it or how others are so much more misfortunate than the person in question is.
    It is ALL personal. Little black children dying from hunger doesn't make anyone feel better about themselves.
    People being killed by terrorists doesn't make your own pain any less.

If they want to opt out, it is on them (aslong as it's in the bounds of reality).

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    21 stints in rehab. If you can't quit something like alcohol you're about the most mentally weak fucker I know.
    What a loser thing to say.
    Tell us about your life so I can call you a weak ass bitch as well because you think you are so strong.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-11-30 at 04:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im gonna get alot of flames for this, but thats a cowardly way to go out. I dont care about the suicide itself, only thode around him especially the children...

-his children-

If you have one shred of care in your life you'll never abandon your own children to fend for themselves. To me, choosing the easy way out is cowardly and selfish. You're not just gonna end your life, but you're also gonna severely affect the lives of those around you, who are now going to live their lives thinking and reliving the moments, maybe even blaming themselves and thinking about how they could've done something to help you.

I dont care if its a sin or whether or not its right or wrong but im not gonna mourn or in anyway feel empathy for people who choose the easy way out and leave others to piece things together and make sense of it all, unless you're diagnosed with a terminal and painful illness...heck id be fighting tooth and nail if i was diagnosed with a terminal illness...so that only leaves out a painful death.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    This isn't about you. It's about them.

It should be about making sure that's what they really want. That can prove to be a fruitless endeavor, hence why most countries deem it illegal.
    You're right, this should be about THEM and their wishes. Not your feelings.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    Im gonna get alot of flames for this, but thats a cowardly way to go out. I dont care about the suicide itself, only thode around him especially the children...

-his children-

If you have one shred of care in your life you'll never abandon your own children to fend for themselves. To me, choosing the easy way out is cowardly and selfish. You're not just gonna end your life, but you're also gonna severely affect the lives of those around you, who are now going to live their lives thinking and reliving the moments, maybe even blaming themselves and thinking about how they could've done something to help you.

I dont care if its a sin or whether or not its right or wrong but im not gonna mourn or in anyway feel empathy for people who choose the easy way out and leave others to piece things together and make sense of it all, unless you're diagnosed with a terminal and painful illness...heck id be fighting tooth and nail if i was diagnosed with a terminal illness...so that only leaves out a painful death.
    Who are to judge whats best for his kids? What's better, a family who struggles to keep itself together trying to care for an alcoholic father who can't overcome his addiction, or coming to a decision with the family and letting them move on without worrying what will happen to him? How do you even know he has children. None were mentioned in the linked article.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-11-30 at 04:55 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

In case of addiction? No!
    I do wonder what kind of procedures he went through to give up on them helping him.
    Then again, some people have really weak wills.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    , but thats a cowardly way to go out.
    Bla bla bla coward bla bla weak bla bla.
    Unless you are in their shoes (which you haven't) I don't think you have the right to say what is cowardice and what is not.
    Too many "manly man" trying to act all cool about this. Shows how much they know about the world and the human brain/body.
    Can't expect much from single IQs/emotionally detached drones.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-11-30 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    My guess is alcohol was involved.

Sometimes you see an alchy dry up for mysterious reasons. If I were him I would've waited.

I'm not against euthanasia, if I become demented or come down with Alzheimer's in my old age I'll seek it out. I don't like the thought of watching myself become erased and becoming a burden to others.

Alcoholism? It seems like too minor an affliction to end it all.
    His alcoholism was a result of self-medicating to deal with his depression, so not the only factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    My other concern is that your grandchildren may want your house and fortune and decide to put you down legall
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Next time you spout nonsense at least do some research.

You can not think i want to end the the life of someone in the family or myself. And go to a doctor and get put down like a dog.

First there are some rules the doctors always look at:
    - if you really want to die. That you really thought about it. Voluntary decision. And that you are of sound mind and judgement. ( so if you are not sane etc forgot about it)
    - You need have a outlook of pointless and insufferable pain. ( so allot of pain and no cure)
    - If you can explain why you want it. And what is ahead for you. ( so explain the reason: horrible disease. your future: my insides will boil by themselfs)
    - the doctor then needs to agree with you that you are right. ( so if you say i need to die because i am to old. and the doctor says you still could life 20 years forget about also)
    - 1 other independent doctor needs to do all off the above ( face to face) and written down that he or she agree's with the patients wishes. ( so 2 independent doctors need to agree with you).

some other facts:
    - only doable when the patient him/her self ask for it. Not if family ask for it.
    - doctor can refuse to help you. And you need to find a other doctor then.
    - a doctor needs to report that he is going to do it.
    - 80% of the requests are from people with incurable cancer.
    - 1,7 % of deaths in the netherlands are euthanisation. ( around 2.400) SO NOT 5500!!!! There is also a number of 10.000 but that is for people who have dnr's, or who family "pull the plug" when they are brain dead ( again law suit and legal work required).
    - if you have a declaration that you want to be euthanized but end up in a coma. You do not suffer anymore so then you can NOT be euthanized.
    - same goes for dementia etc.
    - AND if a doctor does it. Then a 3 ( at least headed panel ( 5 panels in the netherlands). consisting out of ( at least ) a laywer, a doctor, and a ethicist. Need to look over the whole process after it has been done. If everything has been done correctly. If not the doctor etc is in allot of trouble.
    - AND the doctor needs to do it. No nurse, no giving you a button or your family.

Next to that. Their are also lawsuits by family to block it.

I am really mad about your post. People abroad always make it up that its about killing old people to take their money. And that we can to the supermarket and get a do it yourself kit. And its a long process. If you talk about stuff like this do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    His alcoholism was a result of self-medicating to deal with his depression, so not the only factor.
    Most people that get addicted to something use it to counterbalance a more severe problem.
    It is taking +1 happiness immediately and -2 after the use of addiction.
    Sadly enough this turns into a downward spiral and depending on how your brain is wired, you won't be able to get up the ladder.

Addiction is ALWAYS a reaction to a more severe underlying problem.
    The better you feel, the more resilient you are to addictions.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-11-30 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post

What a loser thing to say.
    Tell us about your life so I can call you a weak ass bitch as well because you think you are so strong.
    The irony is palpable.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The irony is palpable.
    I guess those long-time veterans that did whatever they could to save many people and have gotten PTSD are weak-willed as well?
    How many choose suicide?

It's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    That's pretty fucked up that euthanasia is legal there. If he wanted to die he should have done it himself, not put that on someone else to do for him. And what is really depressing is his family stood by and watched, and let the doctor do it. That's some fucked up shit.
    Miles better than outing yourself and letting your family find you.

I guess those long-time veterans that did whatever they could to save many people and have gotten PTSD are weak-willed as well?
    How many choose suicide?

It's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.
    I'm not the one who's trying to out epeen everyone in this thread who thinks the opposite of me.

I'm not the one who's trying to out epeen everyone in this thread who thinks the opposite of me.
    You think the person who did this is mentally weak. Let's see how "strong" you are for you to come up with this reaction.

You think the person who did this is mentally weak. Let's see how "strong" you are for you to come up with this reaction.
    I'm half tempted to say that soldiers with PTSD are mentally weak just so I can envision your head exploding in rage.

I'm half tempted to say that soldiers with PTSD are mentally weak just so I can envision your head exploding in rage.
    Naw, I just can't stand people that say dumb shit even tho they have no clue what they are talking about. That is one of my weaknesses.
    What makes a person that has PTSD and offs themselves different to this person? or someone with incureable cancer?
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-11-30 at 05:20 PM.