haha that's a cinema setup. :P
    You know you want one anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck, why am I not working in a studio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Fuck, why am I not working in a studio.
    Asking myself that now.
    Well, Panasonic does make TVs, so might be able to find a 30in sometime in the future. Not needing new equipment to manufacture will also really bring down the cost. Also in hindsight feel like we're idiots for going the complicated route. Array back light, OLED, CLED, when all it takes (concept wise) is another layer to control the brightness per pixel. I imagine the layer is controlled together with the LCD layer so it doesn't need an absurdly more complicated and bulky thing like array back light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Panasonic has the Pioneer Kuro Plasma team working there, they had to be doing something behind the scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sampling starts January 2017, so we might see something by the end of the year possibly.
    Gief now, fuck the other panel tech right now. One of the more reliable panel type with better viewing angles behind Plasma/CLED and awesome contrast to go with it. Eliminating the biggest weakness to LCD. All that's left is pixel response and motion blur, granted the latter could technically be removed still with extra BFI stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a matter of what will go mainstream first, OLED or magical LCD variations. Both coming with its own set of problems, although making LCD better is probably easier than making OLED last long.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer not having my display have color imbalance over the years, burn ins and last longer. Extra brightness is also nice but not sure how useful if I use it as a monitor display.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-12-01 at 08:37 PM.

My motherboard has, after 3 years and then some, decided to let me know it doesn't like me overclocking the CPU, so it shuts off the USB ports intermittently. This is with both not touching the BCLK and with underclocking BCLK and further increasing the multiplier.

I am now running on stock CPU speed. *shudder*
    I should buy a new monitor to soothe myself.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Coming up on three years at the same job, they want me to be some sort of manager…again. Everyone of my friends who took the job before me quit a few months later. I've never lasted long as a manger: it's a terrible job compared to just writing code all day. I'm curious if this is their way of working around the salary cap issues. Might be time to start looking to leave again.
    Bleh, that sucks. Why is there salary caps for technical work, but not (so it seems) on management? Heck, even where I work, it seems like management skills are move valued than technical. What happens as you increase in level? You're expected to do less technical work and more management (delegating the technical work to lower level people). Where is the reward for being really skilled or having a very broad skill base?

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think that I'd go crazy if I had to do management work for any length of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Management is a lot harder than it sounds for certain fields, especially the technical ones. It's not like you suddenly stop doing your current job, but you get the responsibility of making others do their job and if there's any issue, they come to you making you require more knowledge than you probably actually need to know. I can understand if someone doesn't want to be manager for certain fields honestly.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know folk will like not give a single fuck, but my GF bought me a Raspberry Pi 3 package for xmas, which im really hype about.

Finally allows me to start getting my shit together and leaning how to do some mega basic fucking around with hardware and software with super limited risk factors.
    My laziness has held me back too now

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that's a quality tech article, not your usual trivial thing that only says the most obvious part of the already obvious and doesn't add anything on top of that. Well maybe that's because it's aimed at people who has a clue or two, whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's starting to bother me that people think adaptive sync technology makes for a smoother gameplay, when all it means is no screen tear. If frame times are bad or frame rate is erratic it's still going to be stuttery, just not screen tearing stutter. It's like placebo effect in full... effect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Now that's a quality tech article, not your usual trivial thing that only says the most obvious part of the already obvious and doesn't add anything on top of that. Well maybe that's because it's aimed at people who has a clue or two, whatever.
    I just don't understand why people then still try to use macs while the company is not supporting their needs. It makes no sense to me. Just switch to a Windows pc and then install Linux on it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Management is a lot harder than it sounds for certain fields, especially the technical ones. It's not like you suddenly stop doing your current job, but you get the responsibility of making others do their job and if there's any issue, they come to you making you require more knowledge than you probably actually need to know. I can understand if someone doesn't want to be manager for certain fields honestly.
    This depends on where you work, because there are definitely management positions that are completely divorced from technical work. The bigger the company, the more likely this is going to happen.

Moving through your career does come with salary improvements, but that's not that big of a motivator. The real benefit is that you get to work on increasingly interesting problems.
    QFT
    "Hey, good job with all that great code to did to solve <complicated problem>, as a reward, here is a position where you do less of that!"
    Noo...

With respect to "why is there no cap on management"—there is, it's just a lot easier to justify a pay difference when it comes with a title. If our QA lead makes more or less than the iOS lead you can explain that away by saying "those different skills are worth more/less money". It's a lot harder to say that me and my closest co-workers are worth significantly different amounts.
    I can certainly see this happening. I can also see it being even harder for a manager to justify the pay difference if the manager isn't technically inclined (or whose knowledge isn't that hot, or has been promoted above his level of competence, or whose knowledge is outdated, etc). Still, a frustrating situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's starting to bother me that people think adaptive sync technology makes for a smoother gameplay, when all it means is no screen tear. If frame times are bad or frame rate is erratic it's still going to be stuttery, just not screen tearing stutter. It's like placebo effect in full... effect.
    What is particularly baffling is that if you have aero enabled (Windows 7+, and always on in Windows 10) then the screen should never tear in the first place. The DWM (Desktop Window Manager) is essentially copying the application's front buffer and displaying rendering that using an HLSL shader. Seriously, write a simple application with vsync disabled that essentially just changes the background color and swaps the buffer and you won't see tear lines.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, some reason this seems like something that should've been done before but no one did it till now.
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/108...6-page-042.jpg

Also this is extremely weird.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10889/...gon-processors
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-12-08 at 10:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 on ARM is the best thing I heard this month. I wonder how much of a performance penalty the x86 -> ARM ISA abstraction layer adds to the whole process, but hopefully this means that 10 years from now we'll have more players in the PC market alongside Intel and AMD.

It's also entirely possible that MS will make a "Surface Phone" with real Windows 10 built-in, can't wait to see how this will go.

10+ Year Old Account
    A decent amount of performance loss that's for sure, but probably not enough to make things unusable, granted this is with x86 > Itanium conversion in mind. However the biggest issue will be Intel.