Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I eat cows, I'm doing my part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    they give the dairy cow corn and soy because it helps them to produce more milk so you cut that out you would need more cows for the same amount of milk more cows equal more cow farts
    Have you tasted milk from a grass feb moo beast? It's MUCH better. They feed them soy and corn, because the farm subsidy bill makes them cheaper than free.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Because a small farmer is totally going to require the same kind of a methane digester as a farm with 1500 cows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Well the good news is that the Climate Change fanatics might start actually targeting what they site as the largest causes of temperature gain instead of just trying to shoot down anything that spits out a single molecule of CO2.
    They would have to exterminate themselves because of all the brain farts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, you support affirmative action? Apparently, you do...

As for the legislation, it's foolish. Cattle do produce far more greenhouse gases than people realize, but the solution is for people to stop eating less beef... not try and regulate them to death. Cattle are very inefficient livestock, and within 30-40 years, will likely be nothing more than a niche market. Chickens and pork are simply more efficient to raise, and cheaper to purchase. Capitalism will kill cattle ranching, not Jerry Brown. However, he's doing his damndest to try.
    You're greatly underestimating how much people like their milk and Beef. I can't stand most pork, get sick of chicken before long, and love spaghetti more than my fellow man. Nevermind steak stuffed peppers Burgers...it's a long list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    There are a few veggie burgers that are good, they just don't try to taste like meat.
    And this is why I will never replace my beef with shitty Veggie substitutes. I like its taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirfailalot View Post
    You're greatly underestimating how much people like their milk and Beef. I can't stand most pork, get sick of chicken before long, and love spaghetti more than my fellow man. Nevermind steak stuffed peppers Burgers...it's a long list.

And this is why I will never replace my beef with shitty Veggie substitutes. I like its taste.
    Garden Burgers are gross. Just a bunch of shitty processed vegetable paste.

Ill eat meat till I die!

Good. More demand for Texas cattle. Already taking Cali jobs. Need to take more.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

This whole "Green" tackling issue, for the past number of decades, is nothing but a complete farce to make money out of it...

Nothing short of disgusting. Soon they'll introduce a 'shit' tax because of the gases produced by people themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Garden Burgers are gross. Just a bunch of shitty processed vegetable paste.

Ill eat meat till I die!
    Pretty much. Yes.Unless they somehow magic up one that tastes EXACTLY like beef, fuck'em.

Well, Since it's all about saving the planet then we must be willing to make sacrifices. So I say ban all cows by 2025. No more red meats which will be good for people anyways and no more milk. Followed shortly by a ban on all pets and other livestock, like sheep.

I also vote we put limits on the amount we're allowed to drive, electricity we're allowed to use. In fact the Govt should mandate Govt control thermals in all houses, so they can lock the temps to 68 degrees in the winter and 75 in the summer.

After all, this is about saving the planet before there is no planet to save, so there is really no limit to what should be banned or heavily controlled

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    This whole "Green" tackling issue, for the past number of decades, is nothing but a complete farce to make money out of it...

Nothing short of disgusting. Soon they'll introduce a 'shit' tax because of the gases produced by people themselves.
    'You can either buy our special 8,000$ toilet system to reduce your pollution output or pay us 5% of your income or 1000$ a year, whichever is larger. Your choice.'

10+ Year Old Account
    No this isn't from the Onion I had to check twice to be sure

well this is sure to drive the small family owned daily farmer out of business. how in the hell is a small farmer going to be able to afford the 4 million dollar set up required to meet this absurd law
    Well, that's just not true at all. The one example from the article that involved a 4 million dollar piece of equipment involved a dairy that had 1,500 cows. That's not a "small family farm".

And yes; small farms can afford this stuff. I wrote a report (with my team) on agri-business development up here, and as part of our research we spoke with local Mennonite family farms which were running things like auto parts shops alongside their farm operations. It wasn't anything for one of those shops to have a $3 million dollar laser cutter, alongside plenty of other similar equipment.

Bear in mind, these were Mennonites. The drive-a-horse-and-buggy-to-market farmers.

so what should we expect next outlawing pork and beans?
    or how about killing off the massive herds of wildebeest and zebra from Africa and the massive herds of caribou in Alaska and Canada
    thank god we already got rid of the massive buffalo herds here in America I guess we can call those buffalo hunters in the 1800s environmentalist saving us from green house gasses
    They've done studies on the emissions by wild ruminants, and cattle still significantly outpace what wild emissions would have been without livestock replacing them.

Deleted
    Oh California, you never cease to amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, that's just not true at all. The one example from the article that involved a 4 million dollar piece of equipment involved a dairy that had 1,500 cows. That's not a "small family farm".

And yes; small farms can afford this stuff. I wrote a report (with my team) on agri-business development up here, and as part of our research we spoke with local Mennonite family farms which were running things like auto parts shops alongside their farm operations. It wasn't anything for one of those shops to have a $3 million dollar laser cutter, alongside plenty of other similar equipment.

Bear in mind, these were Mennonites. The drive-a-horse-and-buggy-to-market farmers.

They've done studies on the emissions by wild ruminants, and cattle still significantly outpace what wild emissions would have been without livestock replacing them.
    would a family farm be able to afford a million dollars to comply? most wouldn't
    and your example you gave isn't relevant or in any way equivalent
    that 3 million dollar laser cutter increased productivity there for an investment that paid for its self over time and increased profit
    having to fork out 1 million or more to comply to that regulation wont increase productivity or profit it is nothing but an expenses with no upside to the bottom line

like I said all this does is help the large corporate dairy farms because they are capable of absorbing that expense and there competition the small family owned farm wont there for either forcing them to sell out to the corporation or go under

10+ Year Old Account
    well this is sure to drive the small family owned daily farmer out of business. how in the hell is a small farmer going to be able to afford the 4 million dollar set up required to meet this absurd law
    There's no need for any multi-million setup. Modifying the feed does the trick.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...ting-1.3856202

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    would a family farm be able to afford a million dollars to comply? most wouldn't
    Arbitrarily-invented numbers are arbitrary and invented.

and your example you gave isn't relevant or in any way equivalent
    that 3 million dollar laser cutter increased productivity there for an investment that paid for its self over time and increased profit
    having to fork out 1 million or more to comply to that regulation wont increase productivity or profit it is nothing but an expenses with no upside to the bottom line
    The upside is "staying in business".

like I said all this does is help the large corporate dairy farms because they are capable of absorbing that expense and there competition the small family owned farm wont there for either forcing them to sell out to the corporation or go under
    You vastly underestimate the capacities of farmers, for some reason. I work directly with the local agricultural community on stuff like this.

And really, it comes down to business; if your business model can't turn a profit given market conditions, then it's a flawed business model.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why tax credits exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Them living simply shouldn't be taken to mean they're poor. Here, I'd be amazed to see a Mennonite business not have great equipment.
    Not sure about your Mennonite communities, but around here (Ohio) they tend to be fairly well off (along with the Amish communities as well).

Mennonite and Amish goods and services are very popular and fetch premium prices in our surrounding areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Them living simply shouldn't be taken to mean they're poor. Here, I'd be amazed to see a Mennonite business not have great equipment.
    Not sure about your Mennonite communities, but around here (Ohio) they tend to be fairly well off (along with the Amish communities as well).

Mennonite and Amish goods and services are very popular and fetch premium prices in our surrounding areas.
    I wasn't impugning them at all; I have a lot of respect for our Mennonite community and what they've done. My point wasn't that they aren't financially successful, because they are, it's that they're exactly what is meant by "small family farms". Their religious observances limit some of their use of technology (mostly when used for personal convenience, with New Order and such), but they're savvy and have a great community and work ethic.

That "being well off" comes from running their farms incredibly well and with generations of savvy. They're an example of a GOOD business model. I pointed out the tech thing mostly to underscore that they're not folks who live lives of extravagance, buying shiny new gear just to have it, and spending money they don't really have.

California regulates cow farts
    As they should.