Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile German economy in hiring boost, economy remains robust

http://www.dw.com/en/german-economy-...ost/a-36548235

A poll of the Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce (DIHK) revealed Monday that companies across the nation were planning to hire a total of 450,000 new employees in the course of next year.

Citing the results of the survey, Germany's "Bild" daily said the biggest appetite for new staff was recorded in health care, nursing and education where 150,000 people were expected to be hired in 2017.

Another 100,000 jobs will be added in the retail and catering sectors.

Migrants in focus

DIHK Managing Director Martin Wansleben told "Bild" 2017 would be the 12th consecutive year of increased hiring activities.

Watch video 01:38
    Dax companies lag behind in integration

He said the lack of skilled labor was increasingly becoming the worst headache for companies across the nation. He added that many firms were currently competing to lure as many skilled workers as possible while expecting enormous labor bottlenecks in the near term.

In view of the labor shortage, DIHK officials have frequently described a need to integrate migrants and make them fit for the labor market as soon as possible, promising millions of euros for special language and training programs.
    Pretty cool to see!
    With all the doom and gloom over Germany's humanitarian actions, it turns out that they are doing just fine.
    All that remains is taking further steps to train their population to fill these roles.

It sure seems like the future is bright for Deutschland. Once Chancellor Merkel gets another mandate than things can be kicked into 5th gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Also saw that

The German business community views the recent influx of refugees as an opportunity to help companies grow and ensure long-term prosperity. Many are calling for bureaucratic red tape to be lifted so that new arrivals can enter the labor market faster.
    Last edited by Tennis; 2016-11-30 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    do you just spend all day searching news sites for pro immigration stories in Europe so you can post them here

you're obsession with these stories is very strange
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    do you just spend all day searching news sites for pro immigration stories in Europe so you can post them here

you're obsession with these stories is very strange
    Obviously not. It's 4 p.m and I only recently came home from a productive day. Nothing wrong with unwinding and posting threads for discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but those jobs that are being created are skilled positions. Those migrants that you are gonna be inviting into your home aren't skilled. The vast majority aren't anyways.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Now post the hundreds of other stories that show specific examples of why immigration is negative for the native population of Germany.

Oh wait, you're pushing a narrative.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Yeah but those jobs that are being created are skilled positions. Those migrants that you are gonna be inviting into your home aren't skilled. The vast majority aren't anyways.
    Way to not read the article mate.

Pretty easy to fit new Germans into these roles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Ok so quit posting about 450,000 jobs when it's actually less than that. Unless skilled jobs count (which they don't under your current narrative because you are all about jobs unskilled migrants can take).
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

7+ Year Old Account

I'm pretty sure germans here on the forum have said that refugees can't work in germany.

@Slant can you confirm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    I'm pretty sure germans here on the forum have said that refugees can't work in germany.

@Slant can you confirm?

That doesn't add up. If Germany takes them in then it should set them up for success.

Deleted
    "In view of the labor shortage, DIHK officials have frequently described a need to integrate migrants and make them fit for the labor market as soon as possible, promising millions of euros for special language and training programs."
    AKA Migrants arent fit for the job market yet. Who wouldve thought.
    Also 5% of native Germans are unemployed. Shoulnd they be getting the jobs?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-11-30 at 10:03 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think you should move to Germany, you are clearly enamored by the place. @Tennisace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I think you should move to Germany, you are clearly enamored by the place. @Tennisace
    When compared to the rest of Europe I think Germany does stand out. The article described it as a powerhouse after all.

That said I'm happy in Canada.

You arent really figuring this out anytime soon right?

7+ Year Old Account
    When compared to the rest of Europe I think Germany does stand out. The article described it as a powerhouse after all.

That said I'm happy in Canada.
    Wouldn't be the first time Germany has been a powerhouse.

I don't think refugees get jobs in Germany so there are plenty of open jobs.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    AKA Migrants arent fit for the job market yet. Who wouldve thought.
    Also 5% of native Germans are unemployed. Shoulnd they be getting the jobs?
    5% is full employment. that being said 5% isnt actually true, it discounts people whose income is below the welfare level, people in university or training programms or other forms of employment that are not bringing in enough to actually live of their own income. That isnt really worthy of being called "employed".

the migration from north africa, the middle east (with some exceptions) and parts of the balkan in the last 3 decades has seen migrants enter almost exclusively that job market. migration from groups defined by their country of origin that results in noticably below the average success in the job market and significantly above average dependency on wellfare is a drain, not a boon. i linked a video from a reknown economic scientist from IFO institute just a few days ago in one of those dumbass threads.

if anyone expects me or may family to compensate for these people i say gtfo. they have already as of now caused considerable damage to my and my childrens future. I will vote for anyone who is serious about deporting their asses and selective imigration policy. I'd prefer that to be someone who holds more moderate views in other issues, but if you are insisting on bleeding me dry I anyway I have no incentive to care.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2016-11-30 at 10:27 PM.

@Slant can you confirm?
    I'm not Slant, but I can confirm that the process is difficult.

To put it as simple as possible (there are like a dozen variables):
    During the first 3 months people are not allowed to work, period. After that we have several categories refugees can fall into:

- Refugee seeking asylum (offcially applied and waiting for the outcome). If they get a positive reply they can look for work or even start their own business. The permission is limited, refugees with only subsidiary protection can work for one year, a fully accepted refugee up to 3 years (the latter applies almost exclusively to Syrians). After that they have to apply again.
    The biggest problem at the moment is going through all the applications, and without the chance to apply they don't even have that "Refugee Applicant" status. At worst people wait almost a year now to have their case heard, never mind the decision.

Apart from that, there are currently 3 big hurdles to overcome:

- The language barrier, obviously. The biggest problem at the moment is to supply the demand when it comes to German courses, too many refugees want to participate. Not semi-fluent in German, no work - unless they manage to snatch a job in an international company.
    - Uncertainty for possible employees. Is it worth investing in someone who might have no perspective here? Even Syrians only get subsidiary protection these days, which means their stay is limited to one year, then they have to apply again.
    - People spout that most refugees are unskilled, but that's been proven untrue. The problem isn't that most are unskilled, they mostly lack certificates comparable to the high German standards. Even someone from the US, who might have worked in the car workshop of his dad for 5 or more years, would have to start from zero here. The challenge is to get people back into their old work, which can only involve unpaid internships and the like.

As I said, it's much more complicated than the above, but that's the very basic issue preventing people from working.

In my opinion, at this point it doesn't even matter if I'm personally in favor or against helping refugees, there needs to be a clear line and it needs to be followed, no tip-toing around. Go all-in or retreat.

If the idea is to send most refugees back (to camps in Egypt, Afghanistan, hell maybe even Syria after Assad solidified his position), then do that. Don't give people false hope, especially those who have their entire family trapped in a war zone with no chance to reunite in Germany.

On the other hand, if we assume that most refugees will stay, as well as their families, then follow through with maximum effort. No concessions, no ifs and buts. Guarantee their stay for the next 5 years+, organize German courses for everyone. And hope for the best, while expecting the worst (and preparing for it).
    But the current situation is a loss for everyone, wether you are pro or against taking in refugees.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2016-11-30 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tennisace you now have 6666 posts. Eeeeeevilll! Can't trust this thread then obviously.

@Slant can you confirm?
    They can work after a long time (~1-2 year upwards) if they meet a long, long list of conditions. The first one is to upgrade their status from refugee to asylum seeker.

- - - Updated - - -

With all the doom and gloom over Germany's humanitarian actions, it turns out that they are doing just fine.
    We know, but nobody believes us. It's a bit sad to see the US pity us after they tried to convince us how fucked up we are. All the while we're saying "um, no idea what you're talking about".
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post

Apart from that, there are currently 3 big hurdles to overcome:

- The language barrier, obviously. The biggest problem at the moment is to supply the demand when it comes to German courses, too many refugees want to participate. Not semi-fluent in German, no work - unless they manage to snatch a job in an international company.
    you have to actualy attend courses and put in work for that. cant help those that dont attend. cant even count the reports of those that tried their hand as professionals and volunteers in this line of work and are utterly dismayed.

- Uncertainty for possible employees. Is it worth investing in someone who might have no perspective here? Even Syrians only get subsidiary protection these days, which means their stay is limited to one year, then they have to apply again.
    there is plenty of work for someone who stays less than a year. ask millions of temp workers. not that i think favourably of this form of employment.

- People spout that most refugees are unskilled, but that's been proven untrue. The problem isn't that most are unskilled, they mostly lack certificates comparable to the high German standards. Even someone from the US, who might have worked in the car workshop of his dad for 5 or more years, would have to start from zero here. The challenge is to get people back into their old work, which can only involve unpaid internships and the like.
    oh come on. that is such utter nonsense. how many of them dont even pass pisa 1?! thats basic literacy and grade school math.
    what are the conservative projections for job market integration for the current generation? the majority will never reach a self sustaining level of employment.
    there is a market for their skills and that is AT HOME. AT HOME they are missing those skillsets. the current situation is a lose/lose.

In my opinion, at this point it doesn't even matter if I'm personally in favor or against helping refugees, there needs to be a clear line and it needs to be followed, no tip-toing around. Go all-in or retreat.
    turkish guest workers are sufficient a case study. it has not benefited germany to let them stay and to not enforce their leave when they were legaly obliged to. politicians knew that, great statesmen including our heads of state. but votes counted more to fools. if additional additional force is necessary so be it.

If the idea is to send most refugees back (to camps in Egypt, Afghanistan, hell maybe even Syria after Assad solidified his position), then do that. Don't give people false hope, especially those who have their entire family trapped in a war zone with no chance to reunite in Germany.
    true. the mediteranian is a death trap, current policy baits so many into the arms of smuglers. it doesnt have to be this way. we could find middle ground there, implement humane policies that dont allow a single one onto european soil and jsut drag their boats back to african coast. that would destroy large parts of the smugglers business models. we could allow those seeking refuge to apply for asylum in their countries in embassies or in temp camps over there. not that these are new ideas, theyve been around for some time now.

On the other hand, if we assume that most refugees will stay, as well as their families, then follow through with maximum effort. No concessions, no ifs and buts. Guarantee their stay for the next 5 years+, organize German courses for everyone. And hope for the best, while expecting the worst (and preparing for it).
    But the current situation is a loss for everyone, wether you are pro or against taking in refugees.
    there is no moral and especially no legal obligation to do that. even the most positive among the more realistic projections are speaking of a net loss.

we could gain from it, but that would involve actually vetting those migrants for marketable skills. those that have them could be given something like a green card ans path to citizenship if they want to, the others would need to leave and we would need to take measures that coming back and flying under the radar would be very hard. that is far too easy now, especially in case of malicious elements.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2016-12-01 at 12:23 AM.