Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dell U2715H Monitor

Hello everyone,

Not too long ago I picked up the Samsung 24" C24F390FHU curved monitor. This monitor seems to have an insane motion blur - especially when mounted in WOW. The response time is set to medium as when I set it to high there is a high amount of visible ghosting; every player character in-game leaves a small black trail behind them. The same for still objects when I am moving. I was unable to properly capture this with a screenshot.

I am not enjoying WOW as I want to because the quality of this monitor keeps distracting me.

The new Build of the Month listed the Dell U2715H as the high-end monitor of choice. I am reading nothing but good reviews about it in terms of colors, but not much on gaming. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this monitor specific to WOW - how is the ghosting / response time / motion blur etc? Especially if when you are flying or riding at a faster speed. If you have this monitor and you play WOW then I would love to hear from you before I make a the decision.

It is worth noting that I don't play FPS games whatsoever - at the moment I only play WOW.

Anything that you would like to share is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Zimakai

I am also looking at this monitor as a good combo between work and play. I also only play wow and diablo. Hopefully we get a reply from someone who has had experience with DELL 6ms monitors in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't put overdrive to the highest for any monitor. The black trail is overdrive artifact caused by high voltage overshoots. You won't be capturing this in any way other than a relatively short shutter speed with a camera. Tone it back down and see how it is.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-22 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Don't put overdrive to the highest for any monitor. The black trail is overdrive artifact caused by high voltage overshoots. You won't be capturing this in any way other than a relatively short shutter speed with a camera. Tone it back down and see how it is.
    Thanks for the explanation - I've been using at on medium since that takes away the shadows. It however does make the blur worse.

If anyone still has some input on the Dell U2715H or something similar for gaming then I would love to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zimakai View Post
    Thanks for the explanation - I've been using at on medium since that takes away the shadows. It however does make the blur worse.

If anyone still has some input on the Dell U2715H or something similar for gaming then I would love to hear from you!
    I have a slightly older version of the Dell u27 series, it's great for gaming.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    From what I read about it here it should be pretty good for gaming:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2715h.htm

I was actually looking to buy one at one point, but bought my friends old monitor instead. But from all the 27'' IPS monitors I checked back then the UH2715H seemed to be the best in its price-group.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2016-11-23 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

The monitor seems to be good for playing mmo's and at the moment it is at a decent price of around $425.

If you have any other suggestions for similar monitors in the meantime then do let me know

In our household we have a U2715H, a U2713HM, and a U2415. All have been used for gaming with no problems. They're beautiful monitors, very happy with them.

I also have two P2715Q at work and unfortunately I wish I never got them since they're not compatible with my Mac Pro, at least not over displayport. But I think the U series is better for gaming.

I've been using my U2715H for ~2 months and I'm immensely satisfied with it.
    I've been wanting an IPS panel for a long time because of its color reproduction and since I don't play FPS games on a regular basis I don't mind the 60 Hz. My eyes can't perceive +100 Hz anyway.

I went from a BenQ XL2730Z 144 Hz to the U2715H and had the chance of "dual wielding" them for 2 days before my friend picked up the BenQ. I was blown away by the Dell; the colors in WoW and other games are staggering. The colors on the BenQ looked washed out and pale in comparison.
    Does anyone else find it ironic that, as your virtual character gains experience, wealth and social stature, your reality character is losing the exact same things at the same rate?

Quote Originally Posted by jegerlee View Post
    I've been using my U2715H for ~2 months and I'm immensely satisfied with it.
    I've been wanting an IPS panel for a long time because of its color reproduction and since I don't play FPS games on a regular basis I don't mind the 60 Hz. My eyes can't perceive +100 Hz anyway.

I went from a BenQ XL2730Z 144 Hz to the U2715H and had the chance of "dual wielding" them for 2 days before my friend picked up the BenQ. I was blown away by the Dell; the colors in WoW and other games are staggering. The colors on the BenQ looked washed out and pale in comparison.
    Perfect - thanks a lot for your input!

One additional question: in WoW, when you ride on your mount and you run from left to right, do you experience a lot of motion blur? When I do this with my current monitor all the characters become severely blurry - I want to make sure that this monitor is still an improvement.

Perfect - thanks a lot for your input!

One additional question: in WoW, when you ride on your mount and you run from left to right, do you experience a lot of motion blur? When I do this with my current monitor all the characters become severely blurry - I want to make sure that this monitor is still an improvement.
    I don't experience any motion blur at all and I play in full screen and window mode as well. Raiding is not a problem either, WoW is, to my eyes, completely fluid and beautiful.
    I know this sounds stupid, but even just using Windows and your programs on this monitor is something I look forward to every time I use my computer.
    Does anyone else find it ironic that, as your virtual character gains experience, wealth and social stature, your reality character is losing the exact same things at the same rate?

I don't experience any motion blur at all and I play in full screen and window mode as well. Raiding is not a problem either, WoW is, to my eyes, completely fluid and beautiful.
    I know this sounds stupid, but even just using Windows and your programs on this monitor is something I look forward to every time I use my computer.
    We have the 24" version of this monitor at the office - you're right that just looking at the desktop itself on there looks amazing. I finally got myself to order the monitor on Friday so I hope it will be here somewhere this week. I will do post a small update on how it's doing when it has arrived.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Peeps STOP!

Check it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

1440p 165hz gsync monitor for 360 bucks! I have a gtx 760 and i think i have to buy this monitor at this price, even if i get 40 fps in the games i play lol. I assume this is for cyber monday only, so if you see this jump on it you will not find a better deal on a monitor this year or next probably.

Only thing that is stopping me from buying this right now is 1440p at 24" might make text and stuff too small for my taste. I understand windows scaling fixes a lot of that, but not all apps have proper scaling. Gonna ask on owners thread on overclock forums.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-28 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Peeps STOP!

Check it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

1440p 165hz gsync monitor for 360 bucks! I have a gtx 760 and i think i have to buy this monitor at this price, even if i get 40 fps in the games i play lol. I assume this is for cyber monday only, so if you see this jump on it you will not find a better deal on a monitor this year or next probably.

Only thing that is stopping me from buying this right now is 1440p at 24" might make text and stuff too small for my taste. I understand windows scaling fixes a lot of that, but not all apps have proper scaling. Gonna ask on owners thread on overclock forums.
    That is 24" though - you would have to compare it to 27" inch which is already over $600. I would not recommend a 1440p screen if you are going for 24".

Well its not on sale anymore lol. And why not 1440p at 24"? Higher PPI and sharper text ftw. You do realize there are 5" phones with 1440p res right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Well its not on sale anymore lol. And why not 1440p at 24"? Higher PPI and sharper text ftw. You do realize there are 5" phones with 1440p res right?
    You would have to size everything up so much that it most likely would defeat the purpose of having more space on that resolution. You can certainly give it a try - let us know!

Update on my U27H15:

It arrived today and the first thing that I noticed is that the factory calibration report was missing. Upon further inspecting of the screen I found fingerprints, streaking and two tiny (you would not notice them when the screen is on) scratches. The screen itself has clearly been handled before..

There is also backlight bleeding in the upper-left corner

I am very confused about what is going on, as I could not find any reports about missing factory reports for similar purchases. I have a feeling they either send me a refurbished monitor, or another customer already tried it out before me.

Any one ever experience something like this?

You would have to size everything up so much that it most likely would defeat the purpose of having more space on that resolution. You can certainly give it a try - let us know!

Update on my U27H15:

It arrived today and the first thing that I noticed is that the factory calibration report was missing. Upon further inspecting of the screen I found fingerprints, streaking and two tiny (you would not notice them when the screen is on) scratches. The screen itself has clearly been handled before..

I am very confused about what is going on, as I could not find any reports about missing factory reports for similar purchases. I have a feeling they either send me a refurbished monitor, or another customer already tried it out before me.

It's clearly been returned before. I don't know where you bought it from, but if you bought it "new", you should definately return it.

Update on my U27H15:

Man, how unfortunate!

Mine was absolutely brand new with calibration report and not a single fingerprint on it.
    If that screen is bought as a new product, I would return it and buy it from another store.

But, what do you think of it when gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Spagetto View Post
    I picked up the non-curved version of that Samsung monitor, the LS24F350 and I notice absolutely no motion blur. It's a really gorgeous monitor but with most cheap Samsung monitors, I find there to be illumination inconsistencies. I picked it up for $150 Canadian though, can't really complain about a PLS Freesync monitor at that price.
    The monitor that I moved away from was similar to what you have now - mine seemed to suffer from noticeable ghosting and motion blur. There also seemed to be a grayish glow over the screen during gaming. Perhaps I also had a bad model on this one, I hope you will like yours

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's clearly been returned before. I don't know where you bought it from, but if you bought it "new", you should definitely return it.
    Yeah - I already contacted the store to see what is up. Very fishy situation.. but perhaps I can get a discount or something on this when I exchange so I will see what they come back with.

Man, how unfortunate!

Mine was absolutely brand new with calibration report and not a single fingerprint on it.
    If that screen is bought as a new product, I would return it and buy it from another store.

But, what do you think of it when gaming?
    So other than this being what appears to be a used model, the monitor itself is absolutely great for gaming - everything looks spectacular!

This is the first time ever that I purchased an expensive monitor and I must say that it feels good to finally experience colors as they are meant to be. WoW looks amazing on it.

I've already also Rise of the Tomb Raider which also looks great. The monitor is definitely a big improvement over the previous model that I had. I did not play any FPS games on it though so can't comment on that.

The only negative that I experienced was noticeable backlight bleed in the upper-left corner of the screen. During dark scenes in Tomb Raider there was a visible glow here that was certainly distracting.

However, with this type of monitor I don't think backlight bleed is something that you can fully get rid off - unless others here have a different experience.
    Last edited by Zimakai; 2016-12-01 at 05:20 PM.

The monitor that I moved away from was similar to what you have now - mine seemed to suffer from noticeable ghosting and motion blur. There also seemed to be a grayish glow over the screen during gaming. Perhaps I also had a bad model on this one, I hope you will like yours

Yeah - I already contacted the store to see what is up. Very fishy situation.. but perhaps I can get a discount or something on this when I exchange so I will see what they come back with.

So other than this being what appears to be a used model, the monitor itself is absolutely great for gaming - everything looks spectacular!

This is the first time ever that I purchased an expensive monitor and I must say that it feels good to finally experience colors as they are meant to be. WoW looks amazing on it.

I've already also Rise of the Tomb Raider which also looks great. The monitor is definitely a big improvement over the previous model that I had. I did not play any FPS games on it though so can't comment on that.

The only negative that I experienced was noticeable backlight bleed in the upper-left corner of the screen. During dark scenes in Tomb Raider there was a visible glow here that was certainly distracting.

However, with this type of monitor I don't think backlight bleed is something that you can fully get rid off - unless others here have a different experience.

Hey Zima,

I'm just curious, what did you end up doing with the monitor and the store?
    Glad you like it, this monitor is probably the greatest upgrade I've done since I got my first SSD 6 years ago :-)

I have some minor glow as well, but I don't notice it at all in day to day use when using Windows and gaming. Guess it's the way of IPS panels, but the picture quality is so much worth it IMO.