Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    According to the Washington post, Carriers own statement said that those people were making 25 bucks an hour, and would need to slash their wages down to 5 bucks an hour to become competitive with what they were expecting to gain from moving to Mexico.

One can only imagine what kind of massive incentives, tax cuts or subsidies needed to be handed to them to make them keep those jobs north of the border.
    It's basically an assload of spending that has minimal return except for publicity. It's not sustainable at all to use this model to "help."

It's something Trump can milk for a year that he's saving the day and making the country great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

A deal struck without the involvement or awareness of the workers' union isn't a good sign for workers.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, reports that this was done by Carrier to keep access to federal contracts is super concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Wait, wouldn't that arguably constitute... pay to play?
    Basically impossible to prove anything unless they were idiots about it, but yeah there are avenues where this could have been illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Wait, wouldn't that arguably constitute... pay to play?
    Add it to the list. His whole cabinet bit is an example of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Fairly certain it was established he's basically saying "I'll lower your taxes if you keep jobs here".

Honestly, I wouldn't even be so against it if Trump just created tax credits, breaks and/or exemptions for companies that employ 90%+ (or some other pulled-out-the-ass number) in the US.

What's really shitty is these across-the-board tax cuts he's been talking about along with massive spending increases.

Trumponomics is the equivalent of lowering your income by half, increasing your household spending and maxing out all of your credit cards, then claiming that you'll make up the difference via gambling.
    Not a fan of repeating the Bush version of economics? Spend Trillions while cutting taxes as much as you can?

Carrier got 700k tax break a year to keep 1000 jobs here in America
    it was a dam good deal for the government
    add up giving 1000 families unemployment food stamps and welfare for a year
    then add up all the tax revenue lost from those thousands not getting a pay check
    then figure those thousands of paychecks not going back into the local economy
    that sure in the hell adds up higher then 700k a year

Probably cut there taxes and regulations that make them treat their employee's decently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Carrier got 700k tax break a year to keep 1000 jobs here in America
    it was a dam good deal for the government
    add up giving 1000 families unemployment food stamps and welfare for a year
    then add up all the tax revenue lost from those thousands not getting a pay check
    then figure those thousands of paychecks not going back into the local economy
    that sure in the hell adds up higher then 700k a year
    Have you seen who Trump has nominated for the Dep HHS? Give it a couple of years and most of those people wont even have Foodstamps and Welfare.

Also, 700k in tax breaks? ROTFL. Carrier was set to save nearly 15.5 MILLION in just it's first year by moving south of the border. You think 700k in tax breaks alone changed their mind?
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-12-01 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Hmm? Carrier extorting the government to keep jobs. Is that really the free market system working. Oh, I forgot. Fuck free market now that Trump is making moves.
    Shouldn't a guy who tells market forces and big corporations to go fuck themselves be precisely what the left is looking for? If it were Sanders (and in this instance, it would be Sanders) wouldn't they be hollering and hooting about how awesome he is that he's saving jobs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Have you seen who Trump has nominated for the Dep HHS? Give it a couple of years and most of those people wont even have Foodstamps and Welfare.

Also, 700k in tax breaks? ROTFL. Carrier was set to save nearly 15.5 MILLION in just it's first year by moving south of the border. You think 700k in tax breaks alone changed their mind?
    Our OP here is pretty naive so cut him some slack! No doubt Carrier is getting so nice juicy government contracts so that Trump and his cultists can hold this up as a win for 4 years while not adding much else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Shouldn't a guy who tells market forces and big corporations to go fuck themselves be precisely what the left is looking for? If it were Sanders (and in this instance, it would be Sanders) wouldn't they be hollering and hooting about how awesome he is that he's saving jobs?
    Who told big corps to go fuck themselves? Rofl. Definitely not Trump. All of his cabinet appointments are pay to play. He didn't waste any time appointing a goldman sachs executive of 17 years to the highest position for treasury.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Who told big corps to go fuck themselves? Rofl. Definitely not Trump. All of his cabinet appointments are pay to play. He didn't waste any time appointing a goldman sachs executive of 17 years to the highest position for treasury.
    I dunno, he got Carrier to stick around when they were packing up, that certainly sounds like getting a corporation to stop and listen.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, he got Carrier to stick around when they were packing up, that certainly sounds like getting a corporation to stop and listen.
    Half of the jobs went bye-bye anyway, the other half are going to stick around for maybe a year and then be automated or shipped away. Meanwhile Carrier is getting huge tax breaks and possibly a big fat government contract. If bankrupting the country is the cost of 1000 jobs, then no thanks.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Half of the jobs went bye-bye anyway, the other half are going to stick around for maybe a year and then be automated or shipped away. Meanwhile Carrier is getting huge tax breaks and possibly a big fat government contract. If bankrupting the country is the cost of 1000 jobs, then no thanks.
    I severely doubt 700k in tax breaks and a couple million in contracts is going to bankrupt the country, but these are hypotheticals anyway. Unless you can point me to that "big fat government contract."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    \
    Uhh no? That's not what Trump is doing. Not even close. Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?
    Alright well, according to you, what is he doing that's getting Carrier to stay? If he's bribing them with sub-seven figure tax breaks that's an absurd bargain given what people are saying Carrier will save on labor by going Hecho en Mexico.

15+ Year Old Account
    So yeah, Carrier is getting a ton of tax dollars from the coffers of Indianapolis. Basically, the taxpayers are now paying more to keep the company in the country than the combined wages of the workers are getting. The government could have directly employed/contracted people to improve infrastructure in Indiana and seen more money in the hands of the people, but now Carrier gets to boost its yearly earnings for the shareholders with tax dollar money.

This isn't sticking it to big corporations, this is stuffing their pockets with money for political victory points.

Hahahaha. The first time most people heard about Carrier was when Donald Trump mentioned they were moving jobs out of the US and he was going to try to stop it. Then he succeeded. Now people are either praising him or shrugging it off. No one is paying attention to who Carrier's parent company is.

We'll have to wait to see who actually got who to stop and listen.

15+ Year Old Account
    I severely doubt 700k in tax breaks and a couple million in contracts is going to bankrupt the country, but these are hypotheticals anyway. Unless you can point me to that "big fat government contract."
    If he starts doing it with every corporation that threatens to move to Mexico, we're going to be seeing the debt inflate extremely quickly. This is crony capitalism in its purest form.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Hahahaha. The first time most people heard about Carrier was when Donald Trump mentioned they were moving jobs out of the US and he was going to try to stop it. Then he succeeded. Now people are either praising him or shrugging it off. No one is paying attention to who Carrier's parent company is.

That's because he claimed he was going to stick it to corporations and force them to stay here. Instead his method of keeping them in the country is exactly what everyone has been against this whole time: Crony capitalism. He bent over the table for them and threw money at them and is calling it a win.

He just poured a few million gallons of raw sewage into the swamp. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post

That's an excellent point about United Technologies, but it's also a wait-and-see sort of game.

Again, do you have a source? The only thing I've actually seen is that he's lowering their taxes, which is still speculation but from what I've seen he's going with cutting it to 15% from 35%. That's hundreds of millions the government won't get. How is that telling them to go fuck themselves? It doesn't even logically make sense. Why would they make such a deal if they can save like 100x more by moving labor to mexico?

If you don't even know the actual deal, how the fuck can you praise it as anything?
    I'm using the same implausible 700k figure that's been bandied about the thread. Likewise, if you don't know the actual deal either it's hard to deride it - and Trump - for anything relating to this. So maybe we should both stand down on this until something happens.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would they make such a deal if they can save like 100x more by moving labor to mexico?
    Why indeed. I mean, promises of fat government contracts if they stayed could be persuasive...

If he starts doing it with every corporation that threatens to move to Mexico, we're going to be seeing the debt inflate extremely quickly. This is crony capitalism in its purest form.
    tbh I'd rather see the US grow its debt to expand the manufacturing base than see the US grow its debt to expand the financial base. But if both are crony capitalism, why the ardent defense of Obama, and Clinton? Same shit, different shoe.

tbh I'd rather see the US grow its debt to expand the manufacturing base than see the US grow its debt to expand the financial base. But if both are crony capitalism, why the ardent defense of Obama, and Clinton? Same shit, different shoe.
    You think corporate welfare is expanding it's manufacturing? This is subsidizing corporations who will take the money and spend it overseas and in stock buybacks. If you want to grow us manufacturing there are plenty of places to invest the money that will stay in the US not go to some CEOS second yacht or sit in his stock portfolio.