Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lateralsx5 View Post
    Its called "competition" something WoW is not very good at...
    What I'm pointing out is that being "the best" cannot be the motivation to play a sustainable competition-based game, WoW or otherwise, since it's logically impossible for all but a tiny minority to actually achieve that goal.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

They managed to finally make PvP just a side game.

Sad and bloody wrong direction they took it. This coupled with the huge amount of RNG even PvP was subjected in terms of gear made this part of WoW something not worth doing at all.

I mean, I can only speak for myself but normally I PvP to make sure that my skill level is accurately represented by my MMR rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Xardazz View Post
    Motivation in rated PvP always was related to some exclusive reward, a thing to aspire to. 1800 rating used to give you access to pvp weapon. 2200 gave you shoulders. The struggle was real, and you knew what you were fighting for. You had the gear sellers in front of you, offering motivation. Now, this.
    1600 - 1799 860 Gladiator
    1800 - 1999 865 Gladiator
    2000 - 2199 870 Elite
    2200 - 2399 875 Elite
    2400+ 880 Elite
    You easily get 870 gear from mythics, NM EN, hell even some lucky world quests. and you need 2k-2199 rating for that awful gear. 875 gear, easily obtained pugging HM EN. Ok we all know blizzard kinda parked PvP on a side this beginning of expansion, but cmon really. I'm realising I feel foolish for even attempting to reach let's say 2k rating, when I'll laugh at the rewards, a whole bunch of useless epics. Am I overlooking something?
    The main thing Rated PVP was good for was selling for real money and by removing these rewards keeps people from cheating and abusing it.

Remove the ladder and introduce flat progression like PvE.

15+ Year Old Account
    The point of Rated PvP is to play until you reach your skill bracket and compete with other players of similar skill until you progress/ improve (with your team mates or find new ones) and climb higher.

What's the point of doing PvP for gear? If you solely PvP, then the gear doesn't have (as much of) an impact in the Arena/ RBGs. What else are you using this gear for? PvE? Questing?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's the point in anything?

It's just a game. There's no point in anything you do in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xardazz View Post
    Motivation in rated PvP always was related to some exclusive reward, a thing to aspire to. 1800 rating used to give you access to pvp weapon. 2200 gave you shoulders. The struggle was real, and you knew what you were fighting for. You had the gear sellers in front of you, offering motivation.
    That form of gearing system is not sustainable. The main issue with it was, once the season has started it was extremely difficult for people to jump in unless they had geared friends to carry them. This leads to the bottom falling out of the pyramid so to speak. Without having a steady stream of players at the low-medium rankings trying to move up the ladder, things at the top become stagnant. Players/teams at the top attain a high ranking, and then proceed to sit on it until the titles/mounts are awarded at the end of the season.

While the system we have now is not perfect, I like that it encourages you to play more. Dangling a mount/title at the end of the season like a carrot on a stick is more than enough to keep me logging in. The new honor system is a nice way to add progression as well. The thing I like most about the design, is the attempt to create a sustainable ecosystem, giving people reason to keep queuing.

Deleted
    What is the best profession to pvp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    That form of gearing system is not sustainable. The main issue with it was, once the season has started it was extremely difficult for people to jump in unless they had geared friends to carry them. This leads to the bottom falling out of the pyramid so to speak. Without having a steady stream of players at the low-medium rankings trying to move up the ladder, things at the top become stagnant. Players/teams at the top attain a high ranking, and then proceed to sit on it until the titles/mounts are awarded at the end of the season.
    You have this completely turned on its head.

The current system is exactly what you've described - the current ladder is collapsing because so many have left. It does not encourage you to play more (especially since the CR/MMR gain was changed in early WoD, nothing like it was in S15 when you could gain 200 pts. in a session and you wanted to keep queueing) -- on top of RNG, pruning, spec imbalance, gear differences, and AP wep. It only enforces a miserable grind that many have said 'nope' to and opted out of.

That's what's killing the pyramid right now. That's why high ranks are sitting, dodging each other, or playing the few lower groups and gaining nothing.

That's why the bottom has fallen out of Legion Rated PvP and will continue to - because a big chunk of that lower 80% has left and more will leave.

When are people going to realize that the people who actually care about "skill" and want an e-sport environment are such a tiny minority it's ridiculous?

Why are the PvP designers constantly pandering to these people? WHO CARES ABOUT THEM.

MAKE PVP FUN AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    The only reason i'm doing rated pvp in Legion is for the elite transmog set but even there blizzard managed to screw things up since it's all RNG based. So even if you're 2k-2.2+ rating you still have to fight the RNG system that's in place and HOPE you complete the set before the season is over. Other than that no there is no point to doing rated pvp anymore.
    This is my biggest issue. High-rated pvp is all about individualized strategies (ex: stun/sheep/fear etc on certain choleric leaders until they leave) as you should know their strats, what they go for, what talents they usually pick etc and most importantly when you're at the top, you need to dodge sometimes. Queuing like a retard all day isn't what i would call pvp, it's more like a grind. The solution would be to go alt rbg with an alt of the same class and spam games not caring about rating (well keeping it 2k - 2.1k). Still it's shit, Elite PvP Gear sets were supposed to be a bonus for the fact that you play and enjoy playing high-rated...

seems like it's purely for titles these days, as my group still gets a lot of sales for rated bgs, for some reason all of the Knight titles sell well, but Commander and Field Marshal are the top picks (at least on alliance, don't play horde so IDK what sells)
    A Glad mount is also rarer than any pve mount out there, so those spots still sell for some decent $$$ irl.

Gear has never really mattered in pvp, a good player will outplay/outposition/outcooldown a shit one.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post

Gear has never really mattered in pvp, a good player will outplay/outposition/outcooldown a shit one.
    Well that's kind of duh. Ofc a crappy player will get outplayed by anything. We're talking about players with similar abilities where gear does make a diff.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    hard to get better at pvp when they fuck certain classes over like warrior and warlock, and rated pvp you wont even get a group as a warrior so you have to rely on casual pvp
    there is no casual pvp it was removed along with wpvp and random bgs that consisted of players and not just bots/leechers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by High Marshal Sigismund View Post
    When are people going to realize that the people who actually care about "skill" and want an e-sport environment are such a tiny minority it's ridiculous?

Why are the PvP designers constantly pandering to these people? WHO CARES ABOUT THEM.

MAKE PVP FUN AGAIN.
    there will be brawls.

but for guranteed fun, i would suggest to remove pvp stat templates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    it's good for people that only play PvP and are pretty good, but for me a person who would like to do both PvP and PvE, PvP is a waste of time. (I still do it for fun if I feel like it though)

It is definitively very hard to get good gear from PvP compared to WorldQuest/PvE.

Still doesn't matter because the way PvP is handled in LEGION feels horrible. On first thought it seems the right choice, but somehow PvP feels soulless in LEGION and playing a caster is absolutely zero fun.
    depends, bgs/rbgs as a caster are fun, while its zero fun as melee.

Arenas on the otherside......

Also they removed/reduced any wpvp content, made duels ridiculous due to the bursty nature of artefacts, and pvp stat templates killed any fun that left.

But again, there will be pvp brawls and i am lookin forward to it. ;>

gear is a non issue as its usless at the moment in pvp, rather have gold, pets, mounts and funny titles.

Or even better collectable things from corpses, the loot of dead players is pitiful and uninteresting. Skinning should be made availble for example, also maybe looting cooking reagents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by High Marshal Sigismund View Post

MAKE PVP FUN AGAIN.

Oh right because farming gear for 3 weeks while getting stomped by higher geared players was soooo fun right? At least those conquest geared players kept the illusion that they were super good, ignoring how much their gear carried them.

Its all too obvious you are only speaking for the people who rush to have the best gear at the beginning of an expansion so that they can faceroll green geared "nubs" in random BGs. Aka bad players, the same who camp low levels in leveling areas and feel like the pvp bullies.

What is fun for you is not fun for everyone. But I guess its good to know that the average WoW players care more about some shitty carrot rather than having a good experience.
    Last edited by mmocc90fcf6aa1; 2016-12-01 at 10:24 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    so poeple dont pvp for fun....?
    Getting gear is a big part of the fun. Why do you even play a MMORPG is you don't get that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lateralsx5 View Post
    Oh right because farming gear for 3 weeks while getting stomped by higher geared players was soooo fun right? At least those conquest geared players kept the illusion that they were super good, ignoring how much their gear carried them..
    Well in WoD I jumped right into Ashran on my green/blue geared alts and never got stomped. In fact it was pretty fun as my low HP was like a red flag to a bull for the enemy team and I could use it to lure them into the big zerg in the middle:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Getting gear is a big part of the fun. Why do you even play a MMORPG is you don't get that?

- - - Updated - - -

Well in WoD I jumped right into Ashran on my green/blue geared alts and never got stomped. In fact it was pretty fun as my low HP was like a red flag to a bull for the enemy team and I could use it to lure them into the big zerg in the middle:P
    Fuck Ashran. Actual pvp players didn't enjoy having to spend a year in an Ashran zerg, that's not pvp. We want to be able to get to lvl 110 and jump right into arena, and that was completely impossible. However it is possible now, the only problem is artifact power and it's getting adressed in 7.1.5

I play rated pvp because I enjoy playing against other players with similar skill to mine. The competition is fun, and then I get to show off my skill sith cosmetic rewards, and as a bonus I also get really good gear.

Balance might not be great right now, but I can still have fun playing rated pvp with my friends and climbing the ladder.
    Last edited by mmocae2cd099ad; 2016-12-01 at 10:45 AM.

The point of rated pvp now is extremely obvious if you so much as glance at it.

Super, ridiculously awesome looking Armor sets, you can only get pieces of them above 2000 though.

Nobody else is ever going to have the red version of that Death Knight dungeon set except for death knights above 2000 rated who actually got each piece to drop. They'll be more rare than the class challenge mode armors from MOP.

You're going to miss out on that, and you're concerned there's no reward? That's hella reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodakhun View Post
    Fuck Ashran. Actual pvp players didn't enjoy having to spend a year in an Ashran zerg, that's not pvp. We want to be able to get to lvl 110 and jump right into arena, and that was completely impossible. However it is possible now, the only problem is artifact power and it's getting adressed in 7.1.5
    It was completely possible and was much quicker than it is now or will be in 7.1.5 (yes, I saw the items). Conquest catch-up.