Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    So the answer is keeping him there? This isn't about choosing the lesser of two evils, this is about finding a way where Syria doesn't need to endure any evil whatsoever.

Dismissing the issue like that is insulting. Why are you giving up? Don't give up.
    And next month when your mainstream media shifts its attention elsewhere you will be spouting their propaganda like a good sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes keeping a dictator in power that we can keep in check that will keep his people in check is a better solution then taking out the dictator and trying to institute a failed democratic system. It doesn't work in the middle east unfortunately. They just fall into anarchy and more lives will be lost in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Sometimes keeping a dictator in power that we can keep in check that will keep his people in check is a better solution then taking out the dictator and trying to institute a failed democratic system. It doesn't work in the middle east unfortunately. They just fall into anarchy and more lives will be lost in the long run.
    oh really are you sure about that so tell me what do you know about ME

Quote Originally Posted by TUNISIA- View Post
    What do you actually know about dictators and their flavours?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    What do you actually know about dictators and their flavours?
    first let me tell you that im from tunisia where the arab spring started so i know what im talking about

Well, in his defence we've tried this whole "topple their regime and a happy capitalist democracy will spring up in its place" plan about 10 times now. Seems to lead to more and more of a shit show every time, maybe it's about time we tried a different approach.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Well, in his defence we've tried this whole "topple their regime and a happy capitalist democracy will spring up in its place" plan about 10 times now. Seems to lead to more and more of a shit show every time, maybe it's about time we tried a different approach.
    u cant impose democracy or whatever else by externel force just let people decide what they want

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Rebels will just carve out some pockets to hide in and there will be terrorist attacks and some guerilla war going on. They will most likely turn Islamist. It will be far from peaceful, Assad will need a lot of financial help to rebuild. A lot Syrians who fled because of Assad won't go back either especially if they can prove somehow that they are going to be tortured. Assad has played all sides of the conflicts. Even the Russians are just his useful henchmen.
    the rebels are islamic groups, isis being just one party amongst many. secular or so called moderate rebels, if they ever existed, hold no power anywhere and are no factor in the equasion.
    people generally are not persecuted under assad unless proven otherwise on an individual case basis. as there is currently no evidence that that is the case, there isnt really a reason why they cant be "asked" to leave.
    the syrian government is doing well in the issue of grating paperwork to those who "lost" it. quite a lot of the people who claim persecution by the syrian government and to not have a penny to their name ended up stuck in temp shelters and got sick of it, so some have returned dismayed and others have booked a two way flight to check upon their family and propertyat home. not exactly a rare occurence.

u cant impose democracy or whatever else by externel force just let people decide what they want
    Why not being fine with dictators as long as dictator wins then?

I mean, as far as country is concerned dictator is internal force like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    We can only hope.

Syrians started this civil war themselves and apparently Europe is responsible for all the refugees. Fuck that, end the war and send everyone back to rebuild.
    Syrians started this civil war sponsored by ''You got oil ? We've got freedom for you !'' country.

Where did the rest of the Puntinistas go? Dajil, Ulmita, etc? Were they fired?

The UN will make sure that Syrian Sunni refugees will get to vote on the leadership in Syria, no matter which country they had to flee to. Iraq has established precedent, Iraqi refugees were allowed to vote in the Iraq elections.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

The UN will make sure that Syrian Sunni refugees will get to vote on the leadership in Syria, no matter which country they had to flee to. Iraq has established precedent, Iraqi refugees were allowed to vote in the Iraq elections.
    So, about 2-3 millions out of 23 millions total? Some of which might still vote Assad?

Allow me to reiterate some of the facts, incase the meaning of Syrian Civil War is lost on someone.

1. Majority of population support Assad. As much as we would like to paint him a cruel dictator, he is supported by his people and is the /only/ legitimate person there. Rebels have all but made political suicide, they have shown that they lack the desire to negotiate peacefully in Wien, they have collaborated with various near-terrorist and outright terrorist groups, should they come to power it's Libya 2.0 - a failed state that is the source of terrorism throughout the world, nobody wants that.

2. Syria is a fertile soil for terrorism, so long as the civil war rages, and there's no way for central government to control most of the country. Well, no need to state the obvious, terrorism is bad and many countries have already suffered.

3. Syria is the source of many refugees, some of them are "silent" terrorists. You don't have to be expert to see that refugees are flooding EU right now, which many europeans agree to be bad, giving an unnecessary boost to nationalistic, populist parties like Front National in France, for example.

All in all, it's a war-torn state that is destabilised, and no one benefits from it. In my humble opinion, countries should try to keep Middle East as stable as possible, so there isn't a surge of terrorism and what not, and not to support some shady groups of people whose desire is to overthrow whatever government there is and to breed more chaos.
    If only more countries would view this as a real issue, not some chessboard game or whatever, where chaos for one means profit for the other.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    Syrians started this civil war sponsored by ''You got oil ? We've got freedom for you !'' country.
    lol don't kid yourself. This all came about from the Arab spring protests and got way out of hand. Syrians pissed off at Al-Asda and now they've lost everything. Why should the west foot the bill for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Their message certainly lives on. 90% of the posts in this thread make me want to jam forks in my eyeballs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    the rebels are islamic groups, isis being just one party amongst many. secular or so called moderate rebels, if they ever existed, hold no power anywhere and are no factor in the equasion.
    people generally are not persecuted under assad unless proven otherwise on an individual case basis. as there is currently no evidence that that is the case, there isnt really a reason why they cant be "asked" to leave.
    the syrian government is doing well in the issue of grating paperwork to those who "lost" it. quite a lot of the people who claim persecution by the syrian government and to not have a penny to their name ended up stuck in temp shelters and got sick of it, so some have returned dismayed and others have booked a two way flight to check upon their family and propertyat home. not exactly a rare occurence.
    Well, before all of this some 10+ years ago there was an earnest movement from Syrian intellectuals trying, in a soft way, to re-establish civil rights and end this eternal state of emergency they have been living under. The goal was democratization. Didn't happen, instead persecution and torture happened. So it's no surprise that some decade later people picked the opportunity to try again. In the beginning a lot militants didn't fight out of religious purpose, in fact there were many Druzes, Christians and Shia among the fighters as well. People are looking now, at the late stage of conflict where ISIL imposed their rule over regions and many fighters did in fact join their ranks. On the other hand Assad's role in this had been dubious at best as he colluded with Islamist fighters when it suited him. He's done everything to stay in power and even (successfully) managed to play the major powers against each other in this with the EU being the weakest of all. He's managed to make (almost) everyone - even those who would never tolerate his kind of dictatorship over themselves - say that he's the best thing since sliced bread. I don't believe for one second that he will be sparing a lot of those who didn't just flee from war but from his rule as well. I know if we had a dictatorship I'd leave in a heartbeat. One time is enough anyway.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Well, before all of this some 10+ years ago there was an earnest movement from Syrian intellectuals trying, in a soft way, to re-establish civil rights and end this eternal state of emergency they have been living under. The goal was democratization. Didn't happen, instead persecution and torture happened. So it's no surprise that some decade later people picked the opportunity to try again. In the beginning a lot militants didn't fight out of religious purpose, in fact there were many Druzes, Christians and Shia among the fighters as well. People are looking now, at the late stage of conflict where ISIL imposed their rule over regions and many fighters did in fact join their ranks. On the other hand Assad's role in this had been dubious at best as he colluded with Islamist fighters when it suited him. He's done everything to stay in power and even (successfully) managed to play the major powers against each other in this with the EU being the weakest of all. He's managed to make (almost) everyone - even those who would never tolerate his kind of dictatorship over themselves - say that he's the best thing since sliced bread. I don't believe for one second that he will be sparing a lot of those who didn't just flee from war but from his rule as well. I know if we had a dictatorship I'd leave in a heartbeat. One time is enough anyway.
    true there was a movement of peaceful democratisation that was unsuccessful. but once the process of "armed democratisation" started the problem was that groups with vastly better resources and experience tailored for armed insurrection joined. there are just too many who earn their wages through mercenary work in the middle east and africa that know no other way of life.
    of course you would be free to enter and leave your homeland, that is your right. but others do not have to open their borders to you unless there is sufficient evidence that you are indeed persecuted for a specific list of things. merely having the common sense that things are about to turn afoul for you doesnt count.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will never end.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    lol don't kid yourself. This all came about from the Arab spring protests and got way out of hand. Syrians pissed off at Al-Asda and now they've lost everything. Why should the west foot the bill for this?
    Never said they should ''foot the bill''.

But those weapons that gave strength to ''Syrian rebels'' that ended up in ''Isis hands''...they didn't come from Asad's regime.

Deleted
    Hopefully, Russia helping the legitimate goverment will kill enough of the insurgents.