Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The "Warriors" Franchise.

They're solid hack and slash games that subtly teach you about chinese/japanese history, while letting you murder whole armies as a loli... How do you hate that?

Yet, every single time they release a new game, you hear the same nonsense "Oh it's repetative, each game is an exact copy of the last one"... Then you see the same reviewers giving 90+ scores to CoD, Halo, Fifa ETC.

Dynasty Warriors 7 totally redid over 1/2 it's characters, getting rid of the one major complaint most people had about the game: Cloned move-sets. There's now like 80+ characters... each with a totally unique move set. They also added a number of combat systems to make the fights a bit deeper than just "mash your strongest move till the enemy dies"

Yet all these upgrades were either ignored, or downplayed in the reviews, who focused on the things that they disliked. It's like they intentionally get reviewers that dislike the series to do them.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quest 64. It was fun for kid me.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To a lesser degree I'd say Resident Evil 1 - CV. Folks would literally not play the games simply because of the controls and door/stair loading screens which is likely the reason it got dumbed down to be a heavy action series with 4, 5 and 6 featuring steroid-infused protagonists, garbage stories, cancerous QTEs, an arsenal which would make ISIS blush and near-complete separation from the rest of the series by burying Umbrella in the opening RE4 monologue.

I remember when I was playing Resident Evil 2 in front of my friends and they were like "HOLY SHIT" and then I'd hand them the controller and they'd be like "This game is stupid" within seconds and they'd never give it another chance.

Just makes me so salty.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    to jump the dragon age bandwagon I feel like I saw quite a bit of hate towards DA:I as well, which is bonkers since it's a super fun game imo
    I didn't see that much hate for DA:I, not nearly as much as what other games got, especially DA2. It was a good game overall. But most of the criticisms, especially repetitiveness of the open world, no real choices for the personality of the main character and the direction of the inquisition, and the removal of some features from the previous games like the advanced tactical options for the AI followers were justified. There were a very few people who treated it like it was cancer, but there are some people like that for every single game of a series out there, especially AAA titles.

@ topic: While we're at Dragon Age, gonne throw my vote for it in there for DA2. Granted, it had many shortcomings and was for the most part far inferior to its predecessor. It was still an overall enjoyable game, with a really nice character development of the main character. And the story DLCs were quite good. Still, in every discussion out there about the worst games of all time, there always seem to be at least a few people coming in and yelling DA2.

[e] Just came to mind as I saw the gog sale: Neverwinter Nights 1/2 OC. Both games were highly praised for their addons and the possibilities they gave for user-made content. But the OCs of both games were seen as really bad, especially 1. I never really got that. 1 wasn't all that good, but it wasn't that bad, either. But Nwn2 had imo a really good campaign.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2016-12-01 at 03:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    oh man, Hellgate... "remember the dead, but fight for the living" I'm still sad that I cannot play that game in some form at least nowadays :/
    you can there is free servers up. I played it not too long ago. sadly it did not age well.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Metroid: Other M
    No...

No this one deserved every last ounce of the hate it got. It was a complete betrayal of the series and completely ruined the character of Samus by turning her into some whiney little girl that basically couldn't do anything unless her boyfriend told her she could (seriously...Samus...you are melting JUST USE THE DAMN VARIA SUIT! GAAAHH!) , as compared to the badass takes-no-shit bounty hunter that they previously built her up to be.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    No...

No this one deserved every last ounce of the hate it got. It was a complete betrayal of the series and completely ruined the character of Samus by turning her into some whiney little girl that basically couldn't do anything unless her boyfriend told her she could (seriously...Samus...you are melting JUST USE THE DAMN VARIA SUIT! GAAAHH!) , as compared to the badass takes-no-shit bounty hunter that they previously built her up to be.
    *Game that had no substantial story got an entry that actually had a story and I'm mad my idea of what the character should be was not what was portrayed*

Other M is not a bad game by any real metric. It's not amazing, but it's a fun game for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    *Game that had no substantial story got an entry that actually had a story and I'm mad my idea of what the character should be was not what was portrayed*

Other M is not a bad game by any real metric. It's not amazing, but it's a fun game for what it is.
    The games actually had a lot of story if you bothered to read any of the materials Nintendo put out in the day, originally they weren't in the games themselves though. Samus actually had a really well drawn out backstory that was shown in the Nintendo Power comics and other medias. Hell even the Primes had a lot of story if you bothered to pay attention to the world around you. So it's not my idea of the character, it is literally the idea of the character that Nintendo has given us practically since the beginning (the comics came around during Super Metroid and are in fact considered canon). Then we have Fusion, which again gave us character development for Samus and it was clear that she would ignore orders that made zero sense (yes I get it...Samus in Other M is a younger Samus but Other M is also POST Super Metroid so she isn't a newbie either).

The game blew, it got rid of the challenge, it got rid of the exploration, it got rid of the feeling of progression.
    Where was the backtracking? When you got the power bombs at the VERY END OF THE GAME and could finally move those guys who were blocking off areas? Because other than that....there was next to none. Even Fusion had more and that was pretty linear as Metroid games go.

I felt ripped off that the final boss was literally: TARGET HER AND WIN (and the hidden boss, Phantoon doesn't count, he is a boss you fight AFTER the main story is over, even though it was nice to see Phantoon return, brought back some Super Metroid memories). There was SO MUCH potential with the story and who the Other M actually was but they dropped the ball there as well.

Other M basically took everything the series was known for, and tossed it out the window in an effort to make it a pure action game rather than what it previously was.

So yes, the game is bad because you have to compare it to the rest of the series as a whole. If it was not a Metroid game, it would be a passable title...but they chose to make it a Metroid game and so you have to look at it compared to the rest, and it just doesn't hold water.

They made Samus into a bland stereotypical anime chick (again....can't do jack shit unless Adam tells her to. Honestly Anthony was a better character than she was in this. Samus pissed her pants when she saw Ridley....what did Anthony do? Shoot first, ask questions later and when he is knocked off the guy bounces himself up off of a creature MADE OUT OF LAVA. I want a game about THAT guy!) , they made the game extremely linear and they took out pretty much any aspect of exploration. I think the only thing the game did decently was it was AESTHETICALLY pleasing, the action looked decent and they showed off Samus' agility more during some of the fights (whereas in Prime she felt like a walking tank, which she kinda is but she is an AGILE walking tank). The gameplay itself was alright (as in how it felt to run around and shoot, though the missiles were clunky and gimicky use of the wiimote) but you need to look a the game as the sum of it's parts, and that sum is that it is not a good game.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were Metroid done right, and so was Prime 3 though to a lesser extent (it was still an excellent game, though it was a bit more linear than the previous two....especially MP2 which was probably the longest Metroid game....ever).

Other M is also very likely the reason we haven't seen another Metroid title in ages. Federation Force is a spin off (though the ending DOES tie into something the lead of the Metroid titles has said he wanted to do so I actually expect another main series Prime game shortly. He stated he wanted a game where that bounty hunter, whose name is escaping me at the moment, is the main antagonist and Samus would be the protagonist again and he has shown up in the 100% ending of of both Prime 3 and now Federation Force.) This is likely because Other M was not received well in the west.

Metroid has always sold better in the west than it did in Japan. That was why Other M was so different, they were trying to capture their Japanese market by using typical Japanese tropes, but in doing so lost their larger one in the process causing the game to be a failure. This fact ALONE makes Other M worthy of it's hate. It's the reason we haven't had any new Metroid titles in so long because the last one FAILED so hard.

Edit: To add to the Ridley reaction: If you want to say it was because she supposedly killed him already and it was a shock to see the being who murdered her whole family return....don't. This would be about her 6th time fighting him:
    -Metroid 1
    -Metroid Prime
    -Metroid Prime 2
    -Metroid Prime 3
    -Super Metroid

All take place chronologically before Other M. Her reaction should have been: "Again? Seriously? *Sigh*" and then proceed to shoot him with missiles to death.
    Last edited by Keile; 2016-12-01 at 09:24 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Can't really get how people can claim that DA2 got more hate than it deserved, it was a letdown in about every sense...
    Personally it wasent a let down in every sense, gameplay was boring, alot of copy pasting. Story and world building for future DA game was pretty solid. At least even if DAI was not perfect, it was much better by learning from DA2.

ME3 deserve more shit than DA2 honestly. Not only did one section of ME3 just blow dick and was incomplete on release. Just like DA2, they found ways to make part of the gameplay dog shit cough "side quest" cough, a system ME2 had already perfected learning from the problems with the first mass effect.

I think bioware games in General are always cleaving game. Its too emotionally charge for people, so people will either call one of their game the best thing they ever played and another one will feel like its the worst game that was ever made. I guess its the issue of making emotional games, people arent really rational about them. I had a friend tell me ME2 was the worse game he ever played because he loved ME1 too much.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-12-01 at 09:21 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    FFX-2.

People cannot seem to get past what the game was trying to be. It was meant to be lighter in tone at the beginning, but it becomes nearly as serious as FFX was with machina about to destroy the entire world.

The dressphere system was PHENOMENAL and leveling up and getting new skills in X-2 was one of the best out of any FF games, far surpassing the Junction or Materia systems imo.

But all people saw was the intro where Yuna was dancing (And its not even Yuna) and they just dismissed the entire game. Yes, the transformations are straight out of Sailor Moon or the Magical Girl trope, but who cares? Being tropey doesn't inherently make something good or bad. Yuna is still Yuna in X-2, and if people spent even 30 minutes playing that game they'd see it.
    DressSphere system was great. The Mediocre story brought X-2 down a bit. Though nowhere close to it needing to be hated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Jak 2 and 3. One of the few games to successfully jump genres IMO. There's still just as much platforming and collecting as there was in the first game.
    I've literally never heard any hate for Jak 2 or 3. and the Jak series remains one of my favourite of all time along with many of my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    DressSphere system was great. The Mediocre story brought X-2 down a bit. Though nowhere close to it needing to be hated.

- - - Updated - - -

I've literally never heard any hate for Jak 2 or 3. and the Jak series remains one of my favourite of all time along with many of my friends.
    I think there are some people who were upset that Jak 2 took the series in a different direction, but since it was before the time when a lot of people were talking about video games on the internet it isn't really as well known.

Honestly though I think Jak 2 is miles better than Jak 1 even though I love all three of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I think there are some people who were upset that Jak 2 took the series in a different direction, but since it was before the time when a lot of people were talking about video games on the internet it isn't really as well known.

Honestly though I think Jak 2 is miles better than Jak 1 even though I love all three of them.
    Honestly I enjoyed all the Jak and Daxter titles, though I did miss the more light-hearted style of the original game.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I enjoyed all the Jak and Daxter titles, though I did miss the more light-hearted style of the original game.
    I loved all of them as well, even bought the 1-3 remaster collection on PS3. I found 2 and 3 balanced light hearted and dark elements really well.

Dark Eco Jak was a savage, it was Glorious.

The games actually had a lot of story if you bothered to read any of the materials Nintendo put out in the day
    Sure it did.

Like every Nintendo franchise it was a rinse repeat of save ____ with new levels for each new entry.

Oh wait, it really didn't. Samus had no personality portrayed in games ever. You're mad one entry decided to give her one and claiming it's a bad game simply due to that with no gameplay related(you know what ultimately makes a game good or bad) discussion at all. Sure thing small fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sure it did.

Like every Nintendo franchise it was a rinse repeat of save ____ with new levels for each new entry.

Oh wait, it really didn't. Samus had no personality portrayed in games ever. You're mad one entry decided to give her one and claiming it's a bad game simply due to that with no gameplay related(you know what ultimately makes a game good or bad) discussion at all. Sure thing small fry.
    Go play Fusion and come back to me. She actually has "gasp" dialogue, that gives you an idea as to the kind of person she is. There isn't much, but it works well. And also, as I said, there is the expanded media which....again...you completely neglect despite it being canon to the story. Just because you don't want to actually...you know...read and do research....doesn't mean the story doesn't exist.

And I did mention the gameplay, but you obviously glanced over that part to pick at a single piece of the argument. The gameplay isn't good, it is barely passable. They gutted the exploration, they made using missiles more of a hassle than anything, the boss fights weren't memorable, and the game was more linear than a Ruler. And more than gameplay makes a game good. There are many aspects: Story, controls, sound, production quality, gameplay.....all go into whether or not a game is good. If one lacks it's usually not a big deal but when multiple aspects lack then the game falls short. And this was the case with Other M. Voice Acting was horrible, the control scheme was shit, and they turned a franchise known for it's exploration into a linear game. Then there is the story...which was also complete shit and you can lump the bastardization of the character right in there with that.

So let's sum this up:

-Story is shit
    -Controls are shit
    -Voice Acting is shit
    -At least the game is flashy?
    -Game is linear as hell, in a series known for being all about exploration.

And for anything I missed, you can watch the GamingSins video.

The game is shit, and I have explained at length why it is so while you can only provide a single sentence or two of pathetic rebut for the sake of just disagreeing.

Get over it. You can like it all you want. Doesn't make it less shit.

And Nintendo apparently is well aware of this, seeing as they are going back with the Prime series (even though Federation Force isn't really the Metroid game fans have been wanting....)