Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Lazy teachers, parents and school board. Shameful.
    I guarantee that almost all of the teachers wouldn't be in favor of this. But they have no say in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    "OMG THAT BOOK HAS THE N WORD IN IT"

*puts on radio*

"Luv me sum rap"

Somehow not surprised this parent missed the message of TKAM.
    First off this is not even a song. Gangsta Rap: The Glockumentary. Guess you are too ignorant to look this up.

Second. We do not require kids in school to listen to any music with profanity in it as curriculum.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    As it stands, they've simply suspended its use in order to take time to discuss it, which I think is fine, even if perhaps unnecessary. The conclusion one will hope they come to is that they should continue covering the literature, though perhaps reevaluating the age at which it's taught (and I'm not sure what age To Kill a Mockingbird is usually taught at, as it somehow escaped my schooling) in order to teach it at a time when students are better able to really make use of the material for thoughtful discussion. It's hard to be opposed to periodically reopening discussions about things of this nature though, as perspectives and pragmatic value can change over time.
    It was taught at my HS in the 11th and 12th grades.

And the OPs post states they suspended (banned, essentially) the books usage in both the library and the classroom. So its not as if they just stopped using it as part of the curriculum. Its straight up not available.

The validity of their position does not hinge on the validity of their solution.
    And I never argued as such, I argued that an understanding of their concern in this scenario only leads me to be more inclined to "judge people"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Atleast the other parents were reasonable. It's not fair to take action based on the accusations of one misinformed and admittedly not very bright mother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Shouldn't you be making an effort on getting Tennistroll's thoughts on this very serious matter?!
    I have tried, but @Tennisace must be busy doing good works.

As it stands, they've simply suspended its use in order to take time to discuss it, which I think is fine, even if perhaps unnecessary. The conclusion one will hope they come to is that they should continue covering the literature, though perhaps reevaluating the age at which it's taught (and I'm not sure what age To Kill a Mockingbird is usually taught at, as it somehow escaped my schooling) in order to teach it at a time when students are better able to really make use of the material for thoughtful discussion. It's hard to be opposed to periodically reopening discussions about things of this nature though, as perspectives and pragmatic value can change over time.
    I imagine Mockingbird to be 12 and up or so. Along with empathy, a major theme is understanding injustice -racial injustice, no less- through the eyes of a child, so it is a bit mature. I haven't read Finn.
    I'll note that discussing what ages can make use of it is entirely removed from the complaint: they'd be taking action against an issue that wasn't raised.
    But I'm not entirely sure that they'll review age: they've also suspended it from library access. So it is temporary, it appears, but it's a measure for everybody.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-12-01 at 11:17 PM.

Im English and i had to read and study to kill a mockingbird in England thats how influential that book is and its a book that symbolizes the fight against racism and they wanna pull it cause it contains words like nigger?
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2016-12-01 at 11:22 PM.

I would expect that in reviewing this material, the relevant people would likely deviate a bit from the specific claim to look at it in a more holistic manner. They aren't SCOTUS and are not compelled to be as narrow as possible in their ruling.
    Right, I meant it as a conciliatory token: they're hearing a complain, but not necessarily bending to demands (which would be what OP framed it as).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This isn't a political maneuver in any sense. This is an idiot being an idiot. If you want to debate revisionist history based on political bias we can do that but I'd suggest making another thread.
    Pretty much. A helicopter parent is a helicopter parent. They're on both sides. Honestly the best way to make people outraged by the use of "nigger" and other racial slurs is to show just how ugly it once was in this country, to showcase that people back then had dark and prejudiced souls, not to rewrite history so that racism never existed.

Actually last I knew, it was the conservatives who were trying to remove slavery and racism from the history books, so if there's any political agenda here, it's closer to that.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    A helicopter parent is a helicopter parent. They're on both sides.
    To be frank, I have trouble thinking about this one as a SJW type thing. Taking issue with Mockingbird, of all things, sounds like concern trolling at best.

It's just hard to keep up with what types of people are automatically unreasonable and horrible human beings for taking issue with anything ever.
    "Anything ever". "Words in a book" (or "things similar in importance and/or impact - or lack of thereof - as words in a book" in before you get pedantic about the "types" part). Hmmm, I don't know about your eyes, but mine spot a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

/facepalm

I can't facepalm enough over this.

It is ONLY a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Those sound like wonderful examples to contextualize why and how certain words hurt.
    Lost learning opportunity, at best.
    What is the alternative book anyway?.
    Hello Kitty Island Adventure: The Novel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I thought "feminist-SJWs" were dumb fucking millennial college students. Now you're telling me they're any parents who object to extremely controversial language?
    Yeah, I stopped reading the op's post right after that comment, overtly conservative parents aren't exactly known for being feminist-SJWs. Some people just like to throw around words like 'feminist' and 'SWJ' around a lot because they're clueless.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw them. To Kill a Mockingbird is a very important book. It shows what a shitty time it was in the depression. And it sheds light in important subjects. Most notably to stand up for what you believe is right. Even if everyone is against you.

Don't give even half a fuck about Finn, but Mockingbird is literally one of the most important books to read as a developing young adult.

This is along the same lines of stupid as Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles being too racist.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    This is along the same lines of stupid as Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles being too racist.
    I don't think an issue was ever brought up about Blazing Saddles ever? Has anyone gone after that film?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    I don't think an issue was ever brought up about Blazing Saddles ever? Has anyone gone after that film?
    "Excuse me while I whip this out"