Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who fucking cares? The number of people who apply for Amazon jobs is astronomical.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Idk, in ideal world this list looks quite reasonable. If it would be not just about cheating, but about "how you actually solve given problems".

Do you go from memory on everything? (highly unlikely)
    Do you go to sites to check something, if so which ones and what do you actually look up? How do you use information to get to answer? Can you actually understand it even after looking up, and how long that takes?

And so on.

That is, real "problem-solving" rather then testing rote memorization.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Idk, in ideal world this list looks quite reasonable. If it would be not just about cheating, but about "how you actually solve given problems".

Do you go from memory on everything? (highly unlikely)
    Do you go to sites to check something, if so which ones and what do you actually look up? How do you use information to get to answer? Can you actually understand it even after looking up, and how long that takes?

And so on.

That is, real "problem-solving" rather then testing rote memorization.
    Yes, and they likely make enough money off that information to pay the two kids they actually accept and then some.

Deleted
    Fortunatelly there is always the option of choosing any other job. Trivial.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's Amazon's job to offer - if you want it, you have to do what they ask. You don't get to pick the interview questions yourself. Kid's an idiot - and is certainly not going to be pursued by Amazon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    He should probably be sued for posting that stuff.

And why would he get 50K for an internship, those are/should be for experience and from my experience, go largely unpaid.
    An internship in what field? 50k isn't a common number but not unexpected if you're an intern on a large project.

Unpaid internships only caught on because you had yuppies who didn't know any better. You think trade apprentices aren't compensated? They're at least being subsidized in someway by their employer.

My school didn't give unpaid internships the time of day and you wouldn't get credit for one if you tried to use one as an elective. They said if you're going to work for free you can shuttle computers around or be a grader for some professor (they said that sarcastically because those people are also paid)

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Some intern applications are extremely long and have so many stages that a lot of people are not prepared for, i get why they are long though. most internships only have 3 to 4 places at most and probably get 1000s of applicants, they need some way of weeding out people wouldn't be a good candidate. Complaining is just stupid, you're not forced to apply for these.
    And normally that would be fine, however, some of these questions are nothing but drivel with no real purpose other that to artificially increase the time it takes for the test to complete.
    Do you really think Harry Potter novels have any relevant applications in real life jobs?
    A weeding process shouldn't be based on desperation, but on qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Meh.

Their company their rules.

If you don't want to jump through their hoops then you won't get hired.
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's Amazon's job to offer - if you want it, you have to do what they ask. You don't get to pick the interview questions yourself. Kid's an idiot - and is certainly not going to be pursued by Amazon.
    Basically. You don't get calls back from companies when you illustrate right out of the gate that you are going to make waves and be difficult. With a company like Amazon, there is likely someone who applied with the same qualifications as this kid and asks "how high" when they ask him to jump through hoops.

Deleted
    Knowing how far these companies think outside the box I think what may have happened here may have passed over the heads of the posters here.

It is not uncommon in psych tests to ask a bunch of questions while testing for something else entirely. Corporations, particulary tech companies do this also.

It may well be the case that the applicant passed the test with flying colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The internship likely pays $50K and you're likely to get a job at Amazon making 6 figures after you graduate.
    Okay you are out of touch with a) internships and b) Amazon because in regards to a), no internships pay $50k and many of the most competitive ones are unpaid. In regards to b) most of the work at Amazon is warehouse/shipping related, c) Amazon does not pay six figures for any new grad lol.

I have a friend who I went to undergrad with who works at Amazon, trust me it is not glamorous work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The shit they want to know goes way beyond invading personal space and privacy. It's downright creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    The shit they want to know goes way beyond invading personal space and privacy. It's downright creepy.
    Then dont apply for the job. No one is forcing you to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I wouldn't do so. Just pointing out that it's pretty fucked up and a horrible indication of the future.

Deleted
    There are restrictions on the use of labour. You can't use child labour for example.

I think it may be time to push for legislation to prevent companies from accessing too much information from their employees since there is major potential for that data to be misused.
    This is unlikely in the US but possibly in many other countries amazon operates in.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    There are restrictions on the use of labour. You can't use child labour for example.

I think it may be time to push for legislation to prevent companies from accessing too much information from their employees since there is major potential for that data to be misused.
    This is unlikely in the US but possibly in many other countries amazon operates in.
    The person applying for the job is clearly told what will be gathered and if they proceed they concent. I dont get the issue of this. If you dont want them gathering this information then dont apply.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't do so. Just pointing out that it's pretty fucked up and a horrible indication of the future.
    not really, you just live in a bubble.

10+ Year Old Account
    The person applying for the job is clearly told what will be gathered and if they proceed they concent. I dont get the issue of this. If you dont want them gathering this information then dont apply.

- - - Updated - - -

not really, you just live in a bubble.
    Whatever. If you don't see the issue with this and which to continue being naive then that's you're business.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    LOL WHAT? Just for an intern for Amazon? 6 figures doing what exactly after you graduate?

I remember back when I was a college lecturer my students would go on about things like this and i'd be like "LOL You'll be lucky if you earn 30k after graduating mate"
    You are either drastically out of touch or are in Europe.

Whatever. If you don't see the issue with this and which to continue being naive then that's you're business.
    Why dont you explain to me what the problem is with a company application notifying you they are watching your habits and manurisms while responding to thier hiring quiz/test. They arnt doing it secretly nor are they doing it 24/7 they are doing it while you take the test. Im sure they have key shit they look for and watch for in applicants. Go cry somewhere else for fucks sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why dont you explain to me what the problem is with a company application notifying you they are watching your habits and manurisms while responding to thier hiring quiz/test. They arnt doing it secretly nor are they doing it 24/7 they are doing it while you take the test. Im sure they have key shit they look for and watch for in applicants. Go cry somewhere else for fucks sake.
    Jeeze, you seem pretty upset. Did you make the test or something?

It sets a bad precedent. That's the issue.