Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How, other than an overthrow of the Constitution, does anyone propose to "get rid of" the electoral college? How would you convince probably something like 2 dozen states to vote themselves out of Presidential politics and ratify an amendment of that sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Cool... so you agree we need a recount?
    When we had evidence previously that people were voting more than once or systematic manipulation of the voter roles (the primary) or the voting machines, the response was always, "It wasn't enough to sway the election."

I'm sticking to your previous answer on this one. No, we don't need a recount, especially when we know the result won't change and especially when we know they aren't going to attempt to prosecute any DNC or RNC officials. There's no fruit on this fucking tree anywhere.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    How, other than an overthrow of the Constitution, does anyone propose to "get rid of" the electoral college? How would you convince probably something like 2 dozen states to vote themselves out of Presidential politics and ratify an amendment of that sort?
    This thread is more of a fantasy scenario which has no possible real life existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Joobulon View Post

Liberal democrat voters will always win the popular vote as far as I'm concerned
    Besides all those times that Republicans were elected and also won the popular vote.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But if by some miracle the way the President was voted in was changed to by popular vote , I can see many coming forward to want each state to have equal member representation in Congress based on the population strict percentage of voters because of the same arguments of why the President should be voted in by popular vote.
    That would not make sense, there is no electoral system for people in congress they are voted in by popular vote within their state. Aside from gerrymandering which everyone but the politicians can agree is horrible there is no argument to make that change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    That would not make sense, there is no electoral system for people in congress they are voted in by popular vote within their state. Aside from gerrymandering which everyone but the politicians can agree is horrible there is no argument to make that change.
    Trying to argue the merits of electing the President in the US by popular vote makes no sense ether. It is not going to happen.

Trying to argue the merits of electing the President in the US by popular vote makes no sense ether. It is not going to happen.
    you are against talking about hypothetical situations

But if by some miracle the way the President was voted in was changed to by popular vote , I can see many coming forward to want each state to have equal member representation in Congress based on the population strict percentage of voters because of the same arguments of why the President should be voted in by popular vote.
    Inc some states with 0.5 representatives in the house because their population doesn't merit a vote.

So you never said that?
    Are you for real? Yes, when I said I never said that, what I really really meant was I never said that. You keep posting but you never say anything. It's just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    OR the Republican party can define a platform that commands the votes of a majority of voters, rather than relying on voter suppression, gerrymandering and a two hundred year old outdated constitutional construct to maintain relevance. At some point, the reliance on old white voters living in swing states will no longer be enough and they will have to adapt or die.

Despite their victory right now, the demographic trends everyone was talking about before the election have not gone away. The victory has delayed, not removed, the inevitable reckoning that is to come.

Also the number of people of this thread trying to justify an anti democratic system like the electoral college on the grounds that more people vote for the other side is shocking. Do you people value democracy at all? Because if this is your attitude, why let the Democrats win at all? Why keep up the pretense of using the EC? Why not just institute a junta and do away with elections if the people are going to keep returning the wrong answer?

In fact, let me elaborate. The OP presumes that the electoral college allows the Republicans to win sometime, and that they would have no chance under a more democratic system. This is ridiculous. What you really mean is, the electoral college allows the Repbulican party to win sometimes without being responsive to the population. If the Republicans cannot win under a purely democratic system due to their platforms and policies, then continued general election losses would compel them to modify their policies and platform to win.
    The electoral college...as well as everything else they do...insulates them from being responsive to the people and prevents them from facing the reality that will crash upon them in the next few electoral cycles.
    Reading this made me so happy
    The far right of america really needs to die a quiet, and preferably fast, death
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    Reading this made me so happy
    The far right of america really needs to die a quiet, and preferably fast, death
    Come at us, bro?

You can't. The entire debate is futile, and everyone posting here knows it.

10+ Year Old Account
    you are against talking about hypothetical situations
    Not really as you say or I would not have posted any input into this thread. My point is when it comes to making sense, there is none for a situation which is not going change anyway. One can argue the values or merits of the system as it is or can be, but it is still pretty much a senseless argument. You are not going to be convinced it is a good system as is and I am not going to be convinced it is not.

Deleted
    Come at us, bro?
    Be careful what you wish for...didn't work out for you last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Are you for real? Yes, when I said I never said that, what I really really meant was I never said that. You keep posting but you never say anything. It's just bizarre.
    dude those are your own quote, you have stated that states rights would be affected by getting rid of the electoral college several times yet you have not provided any proof or examples that they have such rights or power. it is more bizarre that you don't understand your own words.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    What "last time"? There is no analog for "bunch of people who want to overthrow the Constitution" trying to impose their will by going around killing the other side like they saw "Hotel Rwanda" too many times and were rooting against the folk in the hotel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The South this election had a lot of impact in the Election outcome. Slavery had to end. It was against the fundamental principles of the US Constitution. Being ultra conservative and exercising that right under the limits of the law and Constitution is one worth fighting for.

Deleted
    What "last time"? There is no analog for "bunch of people who want to overthrow the Constitution" trying to impose their will by going around killing the other side like they saw "Hotel Rwanda" too many times and were rooting against the folk in the hotel.
    There was a civil war you know. The far right lost.

We had one in europe too. The far right lost there also.

If you can't persuade a fascist, equate his head with the pavement.

dude those are your own quote, you have stated that states rights would be affected by getting rid of the electoral college several times yet you have not provided any proof or examples that they have such rights or power. it is more bizarre that you don't understand your own words.
    I repeatedly clarified it, and you repeatedly twisted it and extrapolated it out to other things. You literally have added nothing to this discussion. Why are you posting without saying anything? Why don't you tell us what YOU think, and WHY you think that? Do you even remotely understand how discussions are supposed to work? (Hint: its not just you saying I said things I didn't and you asking me to clarify)

Quote Originally Posted by Joobulon View Post
    I honestly feel that if the electoral college were abolished the way all these liberals want it to be that the republicans would literally never win another election for the rest of all history and time.

Kinda need the electoral college so republicans can get turns with the whitehouse honestly?

Liberal democrat voters will always win the popular vote as far as I'm concerned

Actually that did not used to be the case until pretty recently. Look at reagan he won the popular and electoral votes by huge margines. Cali used to be a heavily republican voting state. If they would change some of their policies to be less actively hostile to latinos it probably could be so again.

I somewhat understand the intent of the electoral college but in its current form it does not actually perform its duty which would be to select the president right now it is more or less a rubber stamp for the votes in various states. It seems like the current system is disenfranchising large numbers of voters.

The way the senate is setup is already protection for smaller states so that their needs are represented. I am not sure we also need to have their votes count for 10-100s of times more than those in more populous states.