Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I stand correct they are buffing secondary stats on gear, however did you stop to think you could get on the PTR and see how it is right now? As a matter of fact even with the increased stats all classes have significantly lowered secondary stats. In fact there's already a bunch of posts about this. That's the problem here you people are looking at posts and doing napkin math when you could actually be on the PTR. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    I stand correct they are buffing secondary stats on gear, however did you stop to think you could get on the PTR and see how it is right now? As a matter of fact even with the increased stats all classes have significantly lowered secondary stats.
    I use both the PTR and updates from devs to get the full picture of what's happening. Basing your posts only on one thing when we know for a fact that they're ahead in the development cycle compared to what is public is silly.

Likewise, I don't think you quite understood what they wrote. Let just dumb this down as much as I can. You say:

As a matter of fact even with the increased stats all classes have significantly lowered secondary stats
    And this is true. But they also will have significantly increased *main* stats (EG, Agility/Intellect/Strength) that are supposed to make up for the power-loss in secondary stats. Only classes with hard breakpoints that drastically increase damage are getting a dps hit from this. Classes that don't, will likely see an increase. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    I don't think there's much point to trying to game the +100% dmg on new targets, Aettis. It's essentially been done because openers feel like shit when you have to smash out focus-generators before getting to spend any focus at all; An aimed shot under vuln gets +100% (AND patient sniper damage) anyway.
    I was just thinking on high prio targets that may not have enough HP for us to get vuln on. Rather than having to sit there and potentially spam AS waiting for Marking Targets, we can at least get off a boosted AiS first. Situations like this are likely few and far between though. Actually likely not worth worrying about any debuff/marking, but I'm sure occasions will come up where it can be gamed.

- - - Updated - - -

I use both the PTR and updates from devs to get the full picture of what's happening. Basing your posts only on one thing when we know for a fact that they're ahead in the development cycle compared to what is public is silly.

Likewise, I don't think you quite understood what they wrote. Let just dumb this down as much as I can. You say:

And this is true. But they also will have significantly increased *main* stats (EG, Agility/Intellect/Strength) that are supposed to make up for the power-loss in secondary stats. Only classes with hard breakpoints that drastically increase damage are getting a dps hit from this. Classes that don't, will likely see an increase. It's that simple.
    And to add on to this, after all gear has been buffed stat wise, they will be looking at and addressing classes on a spec-by-spec basis, as they stated in the blog(hopefully, at least). So classes with breakpoints might see some sort of change to help address the disparity in stats.

Except it doesn't actually work that way that your primary stats make up the difference, what Blizzard intends and what is actually happening are not the same thing. Show me proof as in actual logs or this is little more than a blizzard fan boy puff piece thread. Other people are already testing things out and everyone is taking a hit overall this is about the only thread I've seen anywhere where people are saying these are buffs. No they are not. The secondary stat changes are not a buff to anyone, the only single difference is how much of a nerf it is depending on your role, it's pretty awful for tanks and heals right now and not good for dps.

Of course things could change before it goes live but we have no reason whatsoever based on previous experiences to expect that. It doesn't help when people like in this thread just aren't being realistic.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2016-12-02 at 06:10 PM.

Except it doesn't actually work that way that your primary stats make up the difference, what Blizzard intends and what is actually happening are not the same thing. Show me proof as in actual logs or this is little more than a blizzard fan boy puff piece thread. Other people are already testing things out and everyone is taking a hit overall this is about the only thread I've seen anywhere where people are saying these are buffs. No they are not. The secondary stat changes are not a buff to anyone, the only single difference is how much of a nerf it is depending on your role, it's pretty awful for tanks and heals right now and not good for dps.

Of course things could change before it goes live but we have no reason whatsoever based on previous experiences to expect that. It doesn't help when people like in this thread just aren't being realistic.
    I have to ask though, how are the people you are claiming to be testing this out actually testing? In the PTR? Because the buff to the gear isn't out yet. You can tell me Sims, but we all know the Sims are under perfect conditions, and should be taken with a grain of salt.
    You ask these people to defend their views with actual logs, but you attack them with no physical evidence to the contrary with the exception of 'others are claiming'.

"Goal 3: Don’t lower player power. This is a key part of the overall strategy that isn’t yet complete. Right now, on the PTR, player power is definitely down a few percent compared to live. The next build will have changes that increase the total amount of stats given by all items above level 800 to account for this gap, such that the overall power of your equipped items should be about the same (if not slightly higher) than it is currently in 7.1."

You're shouting the sky is falling before everything is even implemented.

We have EVERY reason to expect a fix. Again, you should read the entire blog. They very clearly state the buff to the gear isn't implemented, so of course people are experiencing a power drop. And again, after the bump the gear up, they plan to look at each class spec-by-spec. I mean, shit, they even say we will potentially even see a power gain because of the changes.

Rather than bashing everyone in this thread for actually reading a short and simple blog in it's entirety, you should take a step back and do the same. It's enlightening.

Edit: Off topic to stats, the new MM legendary gloves for Aimed Shot. Either I missed it when they were first added, or no one caught it in this last build, but it appears in addition to granting 20% crit on your next AiS, it also allows AiS to be used while moving. That makes those extra :O!
    Last edited by Renley; 2016-12-02 at 09:12 PM.

Are the legendary gloves every aimed shot used after the first are on the move or every other?

Quote Originally Posted by Free View Post
    Are the legendary gloves every aimed shot used after the first are on the move or every other?
    I'm assuming every other. 1 AiS is normal, 1 is 20% crit and usable on move, 1 is normal, etc etc. What I'm curious to know if this is a static buff or timed buff. Hoping for the first.
    Last edited by Renley; 2016-12-02 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    I'm assuming every other. 1 aimed shot is normal, 1 is 20% crit and usable on move, 1 is normal, etc etc.
    Haha that was my assumption too, but discords hive mind thought otherwise

I would not mind a nerf if it meant that it gave us multiple builds that were viable (within a couple % points). So. Sick. Of. Sidewinders.

Quote Originally Posted by awbaker View Post
    I would not mind a nerf if it meant that it gave us multiple builds that were viable (within a couple % points). So. Sick. Of. Sidewinders.
    I have a love/hate relationship with it. I'll miss it's insane cleave/burst opportunities. I won't miss misjudging how wide the angle is and clipping an extra trash pack, or the down time it can have. Hoping this patch opens up the talents some more.

Though I'm still not sure why the insist on making LW a talent. They need to take the WoD version(where it was a toggle by dismissing pet), make it baseline, and give us something else interesting.

I'm assuming every other. 1 AiS is normal, 1 is 20% crit and usable on move, 1 is normal, etc etc. What I'm curious to know if this is a static buff or timed buff. Hoping for the first.
    It gives you a buff with no time limit to use it in however it doesn't have a 100% chance of proccing. I'm not sure if its rppm or a set % chance but at some points I was casting quite a few aimed shots before getting it to proc

I was just thinking on high prio targets that may not have enough HP for us to get vuln on. Rather than having to sit there and potentially spam AS waiting for Marking Targets, we can at least get off a boosted AiS first. Situations like this are likely few and far between though. Actually likely not worth worrying about any debuff/marking, but I'm sure occasions will come up where it can be gamed.

From testing PTR heroic encounters tonight, honestly, we won't be going for Arcane shot after we get 4 set bonuses. Sidewinders is still (as I expected) WAY too powerful, especially with the emphasis they put on Aimed shot now. Skorpyron sucked absolute dick for me (one shot kill, so didn't get to see it at all), but here's anomaly log (skorp is in there as well, but yea):
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done
    (Notice how vulnerable is at about 88% uptime on anomaly).

Scaled to 879 ilvl, which includes weapons (which sucks absolute dick for MM considering how reliant we are on wep dmg). Relics are also deactivated, which means my 3x trueshot relics were entirely useless (on PTR with boots+4 set, I seem to get around 35-40 seconds of downtime, 15 seconds of uptime on trueshot just doing the same priority cycle as we do on live).

The legendary trinket for the Enh triggered twice due to a bug, and he used an extra one of them because he risked on first add wave where I didn't, but we used them to explode the 4x small adds that spawns. It's probably not nearly as good as Sentinel belt in general, but with a few underperformers (*cough* mages) we made do.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2016-12-03 at 12:08 AM.

From testing PTR heroic encounters tonight, honestly, we won't be going for Arcane shot after we get 4 set bonuses. Sidewinders is still (as I expected) WAY too powerful, especially with the emphasis they put on Aimed shot now. Skorpyron sucked absolute dick for me (one shot kill, so didn't get to see it at all), but here's anomaly log (skorp is in there as well, but yea):

Scaled to 879 ilvl, which includes weapons (which sucks absolute dick for MM considering how reliant we are on wep dmg). Relics are also deactivated, which means my 3x trueshot relics were entirely useless (on PTR with boots+4 set, I seem to get around 35-40 seconds of downtime, 15 seconds of uptime on trueshot just doing the same priority cycle as we do on live).

The legendary trinket for the Enh triggered twice due to a bug, and he used an extra one of them because he risked on first add wave where I didn't, but we used them to explode the 4x small adds that spawns. It's probably not nearly as good as Sentinel belt in general, but with a few underperformers (*cough* mages) we made do.
    Oh good to know, thanks for testing and for the logs! Part of me is relieved SW is still so good. Did you get a chance to test/play with Piercing?

nice info draco, what are you thoughs on the changes to ST? its a difference notable respect to the live?

Oh good to know, thanks for testing and for the logs! Part of me is relieved SW is still so good. Did you get a chance to test/play with Piercing?
    Naw, if anything we'd use Trick shot rather than Piercing. Piercing simply drains *far* too much focus to be used for anything but burst-AOE in dungeons reliably as far as I can tell; Remember, your regeneration gets smashed with arcane shot over sidewinders.

This log:

Has even better success with trick shot, BUT, I think there's something funky going on - if you go to Datarro's aimed shot, you can see that unlike mine which has the exact same cast and hit damage (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=-19434 589K), his is set at wildly different amounts (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=-19434 907K cast, 621K hit). Clicking in further, you see odd stuff like this happening:

https://gyazo.com/1806d51ec96ee23b14c005546eef9e91

(yes, that's two aimed shots hitting in the exact same milisecond, one for 519K and the other for 1.4M crit). It happens MULTIPLE times through the fight, again at 13.942 and to his trick-shot aimed shot at 15.043).

So if we assume that his average hit at 621K is the real damage, rather than average cast at 907K (and 621K lines up far better with my own results - add another 15% to some aimed shots because of trick shot hitting no extra targets, and his legendary belt buffing it a bit, and the numbers are close enough that we can assume this to be true), it means his aimed shot did 56.5M down from 82.6M, and this would drop him to 121.5M damage, or about 392K dps (which is lower than a fair few sidewinder-logs that I've seen, my own included).

TL;DR - Piercing shot seems excessively expensive with no big focus generator. Only other competitive log that doesn't use sidewinders so far seems to be bugged (evidence above).

Quote Originally Posted by keygy View Post
    nice info draco, what are you thoughs on the changes to ST? its a difference notable respect to the live?
    I mean... I've not gotten a lot of training on PTR yet - I literally logged on and went straight into the raid and did a minimum of dummy-testing after just to see a few things (noteably, is there good or bad synergy between tier set bonuses - and sadly, it seems to be bad synergy, the 25 focus aimed shots are only reducing by 1.25 seconds rather than 2.5).

In general, I think if we pick sidewinders (which I'm almost sure we will, the vulnerable uptime is IMMENSE with the added second's leeway) then marked shot will take a much lower priority than they have now - the shot has been nerfed, aimed shot's been buffed, and the focus difference is not big enough to make me want to press marked shot over the aimed shot cast time.

I think we'll see people going Sidewinders with MT proc - 2 aimed shots - Marked shot from proc - 2 aimed shots - repeat as a conserve phase, making sure there's always vulnerable up on the target, and that you're maximizing your aimed shots potential by waiting a second or so.

Occasionally you'll then have to do a Sidewinders-Marked shot-3x Aimed shot, because you'll have both sidewinder charges ready or almost ready, and need to expend one a bit quicker. So, cyclically -

Sidewinder
    2x aimed
    Marked shot
    2x aimed

Sidewinder
    2x aimed
    Marked shot
    2x aimed

Sidewinder
    Marked shot
    2-3x aimed (depending on focus)

Sidewinder when out of focus again despite vulnerable being "high"

Back to conserve phase.

This is all just from a few hours glance on PTR, though.

During trueshot though, it's fucking hilarious - you're essentially going to be doing this:

Sidewinder right before popping trueshot with a marking targets proc.
    Do aimed shots for 7 seconds straight, watch your focus bar barely move.
    Use your marked shot proc to refresh vuln.
    Do aimed shots for another 7 seconds, try and squeeze in a sidewinder right before trueshot falls off for the guaranteed marked shot proc. Back to conserve.

(also funny enough, I find myself not really WANTING to press windburst because it costs focus and it resets my vulnerable window - I'll use it to finish off an add or if I have excess focus to burn at the end of a cycle).
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2016-12-03 at 01:18 AM.

If Draco's numbers are correct then I'd expect the next PTR build to be the removal of vulnerable from sidewinders again. The whole purpose of these changes were so that sidewinders wasn't absolutely mandatory anymore, but it looks like Sidewinders is more mandatory than before, especially with the T19 set bonus.

Thanks for the info Draco. The big thing I got out of all of that is that the current mechanics testing of MM hunters is still very, very shaky. I don't believe for one second that Ion admits on his Twitter that Sidewinders is mandatory and shouldn't be then he launches 7.1.5 where sidewinders is stronger than ever. The focus nerf just doesn't matter when the interaction Sidewinders has with Aimed Shot remains so unbelievably strong. The Aimed Shot buff completely reverts the Sidewinders nerf it seems.

Naw, if anything we'd use Trick shot rather than Piercing. Piercing simply drains *far* too much focus to be used for anything but burst-AOE in dungeons reliably as far as I can tell; Remember, your regeneration gets smashed with arcane shot over sidewinders.

This log:

Has even better success with trick shot, BUT, I think there's something funky going on - if you go to Datarro's aimed shot, you can see that unlike mine which has the exact same cast and hit damage (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=-19434 589K), his is set at wildly different amounts (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=-19434 907K cast, 621K hit). Clicking in further, you see odd stuff like this happening:

https://gyazo.com/1806d51ec96ee23b14c005546eef9e91

(yes, that's two aimed shots hitting in the exact same milisecond, one for 519K and the other for 1.4M crit). It happens MULTIPLE times through the fight, again at 13.942 and to his trick-shot aimed shot at 15.043).

So if we assume that his average hit at 621K is the real damage, rather than average cast at 907K (and 621K lines up far better with my own results - add another 15% to some aimed shots because of trick shot hitting no extra targets, and his legendary belt buffing it a bit, and the numbers are close enough that we can assume this to be true), it means his aimed shot did 56.5M down from 82.6M, and this would drop him to 121.5M damage, or about 392K dps (which is lower than a fair few sidewinder-logs that I've seen, my own included).

TL;DR - Piercing shot seems excessively expensive with no big focus generator. Only other competitive log that doesn't use sidewinders so far seems to be bugged (evidence above).
    Uhm... you should look closer before suggesting his log was bugged and yours wasn't.

Here's the excerpt from his log:
    00:00:04.620 Datarro Auto Shot Chronomatic Anomaly 27448
    00:00:04.620 Datarro gains Lock and Load from Datarro
    00:00:04.689 Datarro casts Aimed Shot on Chronomatic Anomaly
    00:00:04.689 Datarro begins casting Aimed Shot
    00:00:04.689 Datarro casts Aimed Shot on Chronomatic Anomaly
    00:00:05.159 Datarro Aimed Shot Chronomatic Anomaly 519831
    00:00:05.159 Datarro Aimed Shot Chronomatic Anomaly *1447471*
    00:00:05.455 Datarro's Lock and Load fades from Datarro

Here's an excerpt from your log:
    00:00:03.013 Dracodraco Auto Shot Chronomatic Anomaly 30374
    00:00:03.013 Dracodraco gains Lock and Load from Dracodraco
    00:00:03.274 Dracodraco Aimed Shot Chronomatic Anomaly 380511
    00:00:04.119 Dracodraco casts Aimed Shot on Chronomatic Anomaly
    00:00:04.146 Dracodraco begins casting Aimed Shot
    00:00:04.146 Dracodraco casts Aimed Shot on Chronomatic Anomaly
    00:00:04.493 Dracodraco Aimed Shot Chronomatic Anomaly *1381677*
    00:00:04.493 Dracodraco Aimed Shot Chronomatic Anomaly 408455
    00:00:04.808 Dracodraco Auto Shot Chronomatic Anomaly 30374
    00:00:05.002 Dracodraco's Lock and Load fades from Dracodraco

Edit: Not even a bug, quickly glanced over it and it seems to just be situations where LnL procced during an aimed shot cast, allowing you to cast an instant aimed shot immediately afterwards, causing them to hit at the same time.

The reason he has a higher number of aimed shot hits than casts, on the other hand, is actually very simple: Trick Shot is included in that figure and he got to cleave onto "Fragmented Time Particles" very often, see here. You can clearly see that trick shot allowed him to hit a bunch of them at once in many cases.

As a semi-interesting side-note: Even without sidewinders, he has a vulnerability uptime of ~83% which matches my observations when testing rotations without sidewinders as well. The change to marked shot (no longer benefits from vulnerability) and arcane shot itself give you a lot of flexibility to only apply vulnerability when you can actually dump some aimed shots into it. Combine that with windburst and you can get almost all (possibly all with a better latency than my ~300ms) aimed shots into vulnerability without ever overcapping focus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Megotaku77 View Post
    If Draco's numbers are correct then I'd expect the next PTR build to be the removal of vulnerable from sidewinders again. The whole purpose of these changes were so that sidewinders wasn't absolutely mandatory anymore, but it looks like Sidewinders is more mandatory than before, especially with the T19 set bonus.

Thanks for the info Draco. The big thing I got out of all of that is that the current mechanics testing of MM hunters is still very, very shaky. I don't believe for one second that Ion admits on his Twitter that Sidewinders is mandatory and shouldn't be then he launches 7.1.5 where sidewinders is stronger than ever. The focus nerf just doesn't matter when the interaction Sidewinders has with Aimed Shot remains so unbelievably strong. The Aimed Shot buff completely reverts the Sidewinders nerf it seems.
    Trick Shot wasn't that far behind Sidewinders for single target in 7.1 (<10% last time I checked). It benefits from the aimed shot damage buff just as much as sidewinders does. Then you have the marked shot change that mostly benefits trick shot and is a nerf to sidewinders (marked shot into vulnerable targets does less damage, marked shot into non-vulnerable targets does more damage) and the direct nerf to sidewinders focus generation. Piercing Shot was farther behind but now does a lot more damage when used properly.

Overall, it should be obvious that the changes at the very least narrow the gap between sidewinders and trick shot/piercing shot if not close it completely.

Oh, and by the way, personally I haven't tested sidewinders much on PTR but trick shot is performing significantly better for me single target on PTR with ~300ms and not much practice compared to live with ~20ms and a close to flawless rotation, especially when taking into account the stat nerfs that would apply to all specs in the game.
    Last edited by GT4; 2016-12-05 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
    Uhm... you should look closer before suggesting his log was bugged and yours wasn't.

Here's the excerpt from his log:
    <snip>

Edit: Not even a bug, quickly glanced over it and it seems to just be situations where LnL procced during an aimed shot cast, allowing you to cast an instant aimed shot immediately afterwards, causing them to hit at the same time.

The reason he has a higher number of aimed shot hits than casts, on the other hand, is actually very simple: Trick Shot is included in that figure and he got to cleave onto "Fragmented Time Particles" very often, see here. You can clearly see that trick shot allowed him to hit a bunch of them at once in many cases.

As a semi-interesting side-note: Even without sidewinders, he has a vulnerability uptime of ~83% which matches my observations when testing rotations without sidewinders as well. The change to marked shot (no longer benefits from vulnerability) and arcane shot itself give you a lot of flexibility to only apply vulnerability when you can actually dump some aimed shots into it. Combine that with windburst and you can get almost all (possibly all with a better latency than my ~300ms) aimed shots into vulnerability without ever overcapping focus.
    That's fair - I didn't look closer at my own logs because I had the correct amount of hits.

That does raise an ENTIRELY different concern, though - namely the fact that this means sidewinders are very likely to be the best talent for *single target* rather than AOE, with trick shot being the go-to AOE.

A little more napkin math -
    Using the two logs from before, he gained ~450 and I gained ~1480 focus, from his Arcane/Multi shots and my sidewinders respectively (disregarding focus lost b overcapping - we're both playing on PTR which involves heavy lag, and use entirely "new" focus gain methods with 30 less total focus pool, on fights we've likely never done before. With improved play, it should be doable to not lose much, if any).

That's a difference of *20* extra aimed shots over a ~5 minute fight.

Now, if we assume all his multishots are arcane shots, his AS (69 of them) did 5.4M damage. My 37 sidewinders did 5.25M damage - assuming a single target, of course. Close enough that I'd call it neglible.

Now, trick shot increases damage of every other aimed shot by 15% due to not hitting any secondary targets - so an average of 7.5% more aimed shot damage.

That means that for every 13 aimed shots he does, he gets the raw damage of one free aimed shot on a single target. Conversatively, he needs 2 arcane shots to make up for the raw damage of one sidewinder. That leaves each sidewinder giving a net gain of about 25 more focus, when accounting for crits from AS giving extra gain (with advantage to AS) - but cost an extra global.

Assuming that we do indeed have the globals to fill all this time, it's quite clear that the massive focus gain from sidewinders should quite quickly outweight the damage from Trick shot; Over the 5 minute fight, the Trick shot hunter managed 91 aimed shots. That's 7 extra raw aimed shots from the trick shot damage (assuming no extra hits), versus a potential 20 extra from sidewinders.

Of course, there's also the fact that Trick Shot is probably a more punishing playstyle in terms of juggling debuffs; When the only source of vulnerable is Marked shot, it means playing around getting procs (as we do right now) and optimising your marked shot usage; Despite marked shot hitting for significantly less.

Meanwhile, Sidewinders has an excess of extra focus AND vulnerable debuffs, allowing you to sit on marking targets/marked shot procs for WHEN YOU NEED THEM to refresh vulnerable, and keep firing off the heavy hitting aimed shots, rather than trying to fire off a marked shot every 7 seconds, with your only buffer being your Windburst.

In essence; During AOE, you WANT to hit marked shot, despite the nerfs, and that in turn means trick shot is great because of the higher proc rate of Marking Targets when not picking sidewinders (assuming that's still a thing), AND it synergizes well with trick shot because that means you'll be having vulnerable on lots of targets a lot of the time.
    During singletarget, Marked shot hits decidedly less hard, and the only saving grace is the relatively low focus cost and the fact that it's instant. It'll be used to optimise vulnerable debuffs more so than hit ASAP to maximize procs.

Of course, again, all napkin math and assumptions. Willing and hoping to be proven wrong if anyone has any insight into anything I might have missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Free View Post
    Tested in PTR, its 100% procs, first one activates the effect and the second consumes... Its sad that blizzard its creating a Legendary that its Best in Slot for Utility and Maximizing DPS.