Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If Washington wins they're in, they will beat a top 10 team while Michigan is idle so Michigan can't do anything to jump them this week. Michigan can only jump them if they lose.

Clemson and Washington just need to win to get in, things get crazy if either or both lose. OSU and Alabama are 100% in no matter what.
    Interesting - so despite all the possible uncertainty, if the top 4 win they are in and it's already settled. Obviously, that will never happen, because College Football (which is why I love it!).

Thanks for the Committee insight, too.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Same here. And I'm an old-school Oregon fan, so this hurts more than most. But gotta root for the conference.

- - - Updated - - -

From what you gathered of the committee talk, could Washington still possibly miss out on a CFP spot if they win (for instance, if they won badly and Michigan dominated)?
    Can't happen because Michigan is done playing. If Washington and Clemson win they are in, no matter how much Michigan fans can't accept it. The only way Michigan gets in is with either one of Clemson or Washington going down, and that isn't even set in stone if Penn State were to beat Wisconsin by 40 or something crazy and if the roles are reversed they could put Wisconsin in because they are currently only one spot behind Michigan.

The committee set the poll up this week with Michigan at #5 for a reason, and that was to show that if no one loses they are out. There is no way for them to leap frog anyone unless there is a loss, so this idea that they are going to magically appear at #4 if everyone wins is a pipe dream. Best thing Michigan can do is root for Colorado.

As far as games being meaningless, I still don't buy, and I don't care how much talking people do I will never buy that in college football that an Auburn-Alabama, Michigan-Ohio State, etc. will ever be so. I'm not sure about the Big 10, but I can assure you down South, essentially forfeiting a rivalry game will get you a fast track out the door. I don't care if you don't want to risk a player for a playoff run, SEC schools, fan bases, alumni, and boosters will not allow it. If you disagree then that is fine, but I don't think you understand just how serious they take their football down here. As soon as the Alabama-Auburn game is done, they will be on the phones talking about the game to come next season. You can not compare it to the NFL, it is has an entirely different aspect to it that professional football will never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Your entire first paragraph is completely wrong. IF there was a 8 team playoff, both OSU and Mich would have absolutely clinched before their game being played. This is evidenced by the fact that the losing team is still ranked 5th in the most recent poll. It doesn't matter that other teams have games remaining, this is going to happen all the time with an 8 team playoff. It blows my mind that you can't grasp the concept of giving yourself the best chance to win a Natl Championship over winning a rivalry game. Who gives a fuck if your starting QB broke his leg in the second half of that rivalry game which had no impact on finishing in the top 8, because the important thing is winning that game right? I'm sure all Mich and OSU fans would gladly give up a shot at the Natl Championship in order to beat their rival....
    I really don't think you grasp how big some of these rivalries are. I for one would like to see another OSU national championship, but it would only be icing on the cake. My year was made when we beat the team up north. That rivalry game is always a big freaking deal no if, and, or but about it. We could lose every game of the season except that one and there would be some fine with that. That game for a lot of people is the only game that matters. A national championship without a win over that team up north is a hollow victory.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I really don't think you grasp how big some of these rivalries are. I for one would like to see another OSU national championship, but it would only be icing on the cake. My year was made when we beat the team up north. That rivalry game is always a big freaking deal no if, and, or but about it. We could lose every game of the season except that one and there would be some fine with that. That game for a lot of people is the only game that matters. A national championship without a win over that team up north is a hollow victory.
    I would be willing to bet a decent amount of money that you are in the minority. I'm not saying that OSU-Mich is no different than OSU-Rutgers, but every team has one goal, and nothing supersedes that one goal of being champions. Every coach/player would tell you the same thing.

Let me ask you this. Say Michigan ends up getting the 4 seed in the playoffs, then precede to beat Alabama in the semis while OSU loses to Clemson. Then Michigan beats Clemson and is national champs. You are going to look back happy about the season, talk smack to Michigan fans, etc. because you beat them in the regular season? They'll laugh in your face and show you the trophy cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I would be willing to bet a decent amount of money that you are in the minority. I'm not saying that OSU-Mich is no different than OSU-Rutgers, but every team has one goal, and nothing supersedes that one goal of being champions. Every coach/player would tell you the same thing.

Let me ask you this. Say Michigan ends up getting the 4 seed in the playoffs, then precede to beat Alabama in the semis while OSU loses to Clemson. Then Michigan beats Clemson and is national champs. You are going to look back happy about the season, talk smack to Michigan fans, etc. because you beat them in the regular season? They'll laugh in your face and show you the trophy cabinet.
    If it played out like that you damn well better believe I'm going to rub it in their faces as they would if the roles were reversed. They will have a tainted victory and they will know it. That rivalry is the season for a lot of people. Hell, I'm only a casual sports fan who roots for the home team, and yet even I get into it for that game. Almost everybody all season long after every game nervously looks at that date circled on the calendar. That game is the game that is always one peoples mind everything else is secondary.

Come home Chip, come home.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Come home Chip, come home.
    God damn - don't even tease with that beautiful thought.

Well, they canned Helfrich at Oregon. Can't say that I'm surprised, but I thought maybe they'd give him another year.

If Chip denying any chance at going back mean that he's already been hired?

/dare-to-dream
    Last edited by cubby; 2016-12-01 at 12:22 AM.

God damn - don't even tease with that beautiful thought.

Well, they canned Helfrich at Oregon. Can't say that I'm surprised, but I thought maybe they'd give him another year.

If Chip denying any chance at going back mean that he's already been hired?

/dare-to-dream
    I was against firing Helfrich. The young guys were performing. There was just a vacuum after Chip left for a year or two and those are the juniors and seniors who should be leading the team right now. But if they can get Chip back... I'm all for it. I just hope they go big, none of this hiring Harsin away from Boise State crap.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was against firing Helfrich. The young guys were performing. There was just a vacuum after Chip left for a year or two and those are the juniors and seniors who should be leading the team right now. But if they can get Chip back... I'm all for it. I just hope they go big, none of this hiring Harsin away from Boise State crap.
    I thought if he got two more years he could build the program back up - but I can see why they did it. 2 years ago Oregon crushed FSU and was 7 point favorites over OSU. Now, they are 4-8.

I'm sure the boosters are losing their minds.

I thought if he got two more years he could build the program back up - but I can see why they did it. 2 years ago Oregon crushed FSU and was 7 point favorites over OSU. Now, they are 4-8.

I'm sure the boosters are losing their minds.
    Well one in particular, and he has the wallet to make the change. I'm just bummed that Oregon is now one of "those" schools. One of their strongest pitches to recruits is consistency among the coaches. Many of the position coaches have been there 20-30 years. So recruits aren't going to see a bunch of different faces during their time at the school. It is hard enough to recruit in the NW and they've now lost that edge they could pitch to recruits. I just hope they keep assistant coach losses to a minimum. The O-line coach just retired. I'm going to lose it if Campbell follows suit. That guy has coached 19 1,000+ yard rushers in his career at Oregon.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2016-12-01 at 04:56 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well one in particular, and he has the wallet to make the change. I'm just bummed that Oregon is now one of "those" schools. One of their strongest pitches to recruits is consistency among the coaches. Many of the position coaches have been there 20-30 years. So recruits aren't going to see a bunch of different faces during their time at the school. It is hard enough to recruit in the NW and they've now lost that edge they could pitch to recruits. I just hope they keep assistant coach losses to a minimum. The O-line coach just retired. I'm going to lose it if Campbell follows suit. That guy has coached 19 1,000+ yard rushers in his career at Oregon.
    I'm a little bummed, but if they are going to make a change, they need to do so now. And consistency among the coaches is great as long as they keep up their talent and success. I do not want another Rich Brooks in there - loyalty doesn't mean a lot if you go 2-9 your fifth season as coach.

I don't understand why Chip isn't at least considering the position. It's pretty obvious the NFL and him don't work. He could become the West Coast Saban in five years if he signed on now. The guy was a genius at college ball.

I'm a little bummed, but if they are going to make a change, they need to do so now. And consistency among the coaches is great as long as they keep up their talent and success. I do not want another Rich Brooks in there - loyalty doesn't mean a lot if you go 2-9 your fifth season as coach.

I don't understand why Chip isn't at least considering the position. It's pretty obvious the NFL and him don't work. He could become the West Coast Saban in five years if he signed on now. The guy was a genius at college ball.
    I can guarantee that he is considering it. There are few things Chip enjoys more than fucking with the media and I wouldn't put it past him to generate days of headlines saying he has no interest only to take the job. With that said, there are a few other names that would be pretty decent. Greg Schiano, PJ Fleck and Willie Taggart would all be good.

10+ Year Old Account

Because the supporting cast is gone. In hindsight Chip was extremely lucky to have inherited coordinators like Aliotti and some key position coaches. The staffs that Chip has managed to assemble for himself at the NFL level are not making much of an impression. Maybe with Phil Knight's play money to throw around he could assemble a great staff. Right now Chip is just a great Xs and Os guy from 5 years ago. Remember, Charlie Weiss was a great Xs and Os guy.

As a Husky fan I just really love the Lane Kiffin rumors circling Oregon. If he gets the job, maybe he can hire his bestie Sarkesian as a coordinator

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Because the supporting cast is gone. In hindsight Chip was extremely lucky to have inherited coordinators like Aliotti and some key position coaches. The staffs that Chip has managed to assemble for himself at the NFL level are not making much of an impression. Maybe with Phil Knight's play money to throw around he could assemble a great staff. Right now Chip is just a great Xs and Os guy from 5 years ago. Remember, Charlie Weiss was a great Xs and Os guy.

As a Husky fan I just really love the Lane Kiffin rumors circling Oregon. If he gets the job, maybe he can hire his bestie Sarkesian as a coordinator
    I disagree - Chip's success was largely his own talent. Aliotti was not a good defensive coordinator - the Ducks defense has always been bad/worse, its the offense that kept Oregon alive and in the running for national contention. Plus, Chip is an amazing recruiter.

It would be nuts if Kiffin and then Sarkesian came in to the Ducks' house - I seriously doubt they would let anyone hire Sarkesian, though - it's easy enough to provide legitimate reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

I can guarantee that he is considering it. There are few things Chip enjoys more than fucking with the media and I wouldn't put it past him to generate days of headlines saying he has no interest only to take the job. With that said, there are a few other names that would be pretty decent. Greg Schiano, PJ Fleck and Willie Taggart would all be good.
    He does love to fuck with the media - seriously crossing fingers. He would so much happier in Eugene.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

I'm not hoping for Kiffin. But if he learned anything about coaching while under Saban, there is a good chance you'll regret wanting him to come.

I still don't know why people think Kiffin is so great. His entire game plan is screen, screen ,screen, dumb ass pass play that sometimes works, get his ass snatched by Saban and told to run the ball or go the hell home.

On the topic of Rivalry, true story:

Back in 2004, friend of mine was buying a new truck. I go with her to pick it up and she says "You're going to love these guys." Ok, fine. We walk in and behind the desk I see a Miami Hurricanes lanyard. I, of course, have on my Miami hat. The guy who ran the dealership was a huge canes fan and both of his sons went to The U. We start talkin' and the discussion pretty much went "finished 5th, that's decent enough, would have been nice to win another national championship, but even better, we beat FSU TWICE in one season."

Winning a national championship is nice and all, getting back on track and being a force is wonderful, it's a process. But we lost to FSU and Notre Dame this year, in games we should have won. No passion (thanks Golden, you fat fuck). Rivalry games mean as much, if not more than a National Championship at some schools.

Scenario's play out that has Michigan in the playoff, winning the Championship, I guarandamntee you, there will be a lot of fans and alumni that'll still say "yeah, but we still lost to Ohio" and to ME, that's why I love college so much more than the pros. Very rarely do you get a Marcus Allen leaving the Raidah's for the Chiefs for no other reason that to fuck over Raidah ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    If it played out like that you damn well better believe I'm going to rub it in their faces.
    "Nice trophy, couldn't beat us though."

Rivalry games go beyond that, it's quite fun. "Oh, Karlos Williams suspended AGAIN, that's a shame " and then a couple weeks later "Was Sentrel's locked next to Karlos, cuz damn... lol" lol We (Canes Fam) always going back and forth with FSWho kids. Even on down to Burt Reynolds vs The Rock. And of course, we all hate the Gators. "We have respect for those guys cuz they kept us on the schedule. Unlike the Gators." lol

- - - Updated - - -

its the offense that kept Oregon alive and in the running for national contention.
    Yep. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Marcus... Oregon always about the fire power.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Rivalry games go beyond that, it's quite fun.
    I kind of wonder if they wouldn't have pulled the trigger to quickly on Helfrich if he'd beaten the Beavers. Probably still out, but perhaps not as quickly.

Yep. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Marcus... Oregon always about the fire power.
    I really hope our Def Coor is working some magic. I don't want to lose our offensive firepower, but I would like to have some decent defense - our average points-against-per-game is beyond embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I still don't know why people think Kiffin is so great. His entire game plan is screen, screen ,screen, dumb ass pass play that sometimes works, get his ass snatched by Saban and told to run the ball or go the hell home.
    Say what you will about the guy, he was in an impossible situation at USC. They probably could have handled it better by spreading out the loss of scholarships instead of backloading them, but those last two years had him at a serious disadvantage in terms of depth.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2016-12-02 at 05:58 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I still don't understand why Oregon can't recruit good defensive players. They've been successful without a top tier defense for over a decade, and we seem to consistently field a terrific offense (ignoring this last year), but no serious defense, ever.