Question How do Police Talk Down would-be Jumpers?

No, I don't need any help, but I am curious as to what the police would say to talk down a would-be jumper (as in, their standing right there on the edge). Obviously, rushing them is a bad idea, and jumpers probably aren't going to respond to "you've got so much to live for!" lines, so does anyone know what they would say?

Some people want/need the attention and the talk helps. Others it's just a distraction. I've seen a firefighter rappel from above a guy sitting in a window and do a breach like maneuver and kick the dude back into the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    The 2006 documentary "The Bridge" covers suicides off the GG Bridge. Suicides are fairly common there, so there's a special team of police responders to talk people down. The crew of Ironworkers that do daily maintenance on the bridge are also trained to talk down people.

when i was in training for the crisis line you were just supposed to distract them from their issues like just let them talk out why they are so suicidal that they want to jump, instead of just using phrases like "you have so much to live for" how would you know? is usually the response you'd get.

Once their done talking with their issues they might figure out a solution, then again maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    No, I don't need any help, but I am curious as to what the police would say to talk down a would-be jumper (as in, their standing right there on the edge). Obviously, rushing them is a bad idea, and jumpers probably aren't going to respond to "you've got so much to live for!" lines, so does anyone know what they would say?
    They say anything they can to keep conversation going. Usually they just need to get the person to calm down a bit, and then logic resumes.

https://soundcloud.com/thinkoutloudo...fficers-talk-a

Heres a sound cloud clip of one talking down a jumper.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    but I am curious as to what the police would say to talk down a would-be jumper
    Would-be jumper want to be stoped, if the jumper realy did want to die, the jumper would not be waiting on the police. It is more a last extreme desperate cry for helpe.

So what they realy need is to be listened to, have sombady they can speak to, and feel they get som sympaty for there problem.

No, I don't need any help
    This made me giggle. "Oh no! Someone's about to jump off the roof! What do I do?!... I know, I'll ask MMO-C for the answer!"
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    Jump?

I dunno, probably something like think about what your family will go through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably by not telling them to grow a thicker skin like the fedora lords of this forum like to say.