Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    While it's a shame, i've never fully understood cyber bullying. If people are harassing me over facebook, i'll just delete facebook and move on with my life. I don't know if I missed the age limit where that was a thing, but I had FB all of high school, and never remember this issue. Yes, I saw bullying all the time, and I was bullied, and I did bully as well. Everyone does, but cyber bullying seems so much more manageable than standard face to face bullying.
    Yet another example of someone who didn't even bother reading the article.

/Sigh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    DON'T WORRY GUYS

If you just keep saying "They should turn off their computers" and "GET A THICKER SKIN" on internet forums, I'm sure the cyber bullying problem will end.
    People seem to think that all that happened is that a few people online said mean things to her. Not sure why reading the OP is so difficult these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    1) that source, cant you find a better one?

2) What happened to being involved in your child's life... Seems to me that the child had inattentive parents.

3) What would you do, you love to present the problems of the world, perhaps, you Tennisace need to offer solutions as well.
    The source is good enough. You can find another if you feel so inclined. The details won't change.

Also, why are you so to quick to blame the parents. How shameful! You weren't there.

Makes you wander what could have happened if she didn't have access to a gun.

I'm mostly saddened by the fact she followed through with it, in front of her own family.
    She is gone and nothing can affect her now, but her actions have likely traumatized her family even more for doing it right in front of them.

Edit:
    To add, a family member of mine is still going to therapy after several years due to a similar situation. I hope this girl's family can remain strong together.
    Last edited by Sixnalia; 2016-12-03 at 03:28 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    1) that source, cant you find a better one?

2) What happened to being involved in your child's life... Seems to me that the child had inattentive parents.

3) What would you do, you love to present the problems of the world, perhaps, you Tennisace need to offer solutions as well.
    Kids hide things from their parents. The only way you can find out everything is to be helicopter parents. Nobody likes helicopter parents. Not even the helicopter parents.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Yeah I'm leaning towards this. At some point, people need to take agency for their actions. While we are influenced by culture and society to a large extent, our actions are our own. We have the mental ability to select one from a series of choices (even if ultimately deterministic). While these classmates were rude and most likely engaging in harassment, they are not responsible for this student's death.
    I'd be fine with this if we were talking about an adult. But developing teenagers should be more protected.

Deleted
    What a stupid girl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Makes you wander what could have happened if she didn't have access to a gun.
    Why did this person have access to a gun?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's so nice to see people saying things like "get a thicker skin" or "It's her own fault for doing that" or "ignore those ppl" or even "I have no simpathy for her."

You guys are so respectful and compassionate.

/S

Wtf guys? Srlsy, a girl killed herself and you guys are being completely disrespectful and brushing aside potential mental health issues. This forum can get really weird sometimes.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runique View Post
    I'd be fine with this if we were talking about an adult. But developing teenagers should be more protected.
    Okay, but who does the protecting? The government, or the parents? If we want to select for tenacious cultures, it should be the parents.

Secondly, what kind of protections do you have in mind? The easiest protection I can imagine is for subjects to shrug off perceived attacks. All of the damage comes from themselves. They have the ability to be resistant to it, or susceptible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    It's so nice to see people saying things like "get a thicker skin" or "It's her own fault for doing that" or "ignore those ppl" or even "I have no simpathy for her."

You guys are so respectful and compassionate.

/S

Wtf guys? Srlsy, a girl killed herself and you guys are being completely disrespectful and brushing aside potential mental health issues. This forum can get really weird sometimes.
    Well, this forum is for discussion. "Oh that's so sad" can only be said so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post

She was 18. If, in 18 years, she hadn't learned that people can be dicks, that's on her parents (and maybe society).
    18 years is not an adult. Thats your first mistake.
    There is no magical number that makes you legit adult... 18 is usually only the number after which you are allowed to make adult-decisions.
    Your brain is still developing even up to mid 20s and also at that point you have some experience in the real world, so then you can be called a proper adult whos suicide is your own fault... adults usually dont perform suicides unless they have done something terrible or are in a terrible situation, such as in huge debts.

Being bullied let alone cyberbullied is not as bad situation as being in debt for alot of money.... because bullying will end when school ends (in most cases, people go different paths after), cyberbullying will also end when the bullies grow up... if it doesnt, well... its quite easy to avoid it in the end. The bullies would be wasting alot of their personal time doing it, which hardly is worth it since most of bullying is supposedly rewarded by the reaction of the victim (why else would they do it?). On the internet you might not get anything... not even a single word.
    Last edited by Otaka; 2016-12-03 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Okay, but who does the protecting? The government, or the parents? If we want to select for tenacious cultures, it should be the parents.

Secondly, what kind of protections do you have in mind? The easiest protection I can imagine is for subjects to shrug off perceived attacks. All of the damage comes from themselves. They have the ability to be resistant to it, or susceptible.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this forum is for discussion. "Oh that's so sad" can only be said so many times.
    There is no need to be constantly saying that, but some posts here are simply... baffling
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    i was 6'4 my first year of middle school, (thankfully im still 6'4 and didnt keep growing). i had a huge scar on my face, wore glasses, and was in band. the typical nerd giant. i think i was called green giant over 4000 times during school. which never made sense to me, cause i wasnt green, and i never really liked vegetables.

people physically fucked with me all the time cause i was never fond of hurting people, and they knew it.

thoughts of kicking their asses often popped into my mind, but thoughts of suicide? why the fucking fuck would i let them win? if i gave up and killed myself, those fucktards would have won, and i sure as hell wasnt about to let that happen.

people being bullied can suck, especially if its physical bullying, but either you deal with it by doing something about it, or you ignore it. suicide over it is just foolish.

people committing suicide over cyberbullying? im kind of disgusted that word even exists, since there are an absurd amount of ways to avoid it. change phone number, dont give it out to random morons. change email, dont give it out to random morons. if youre into that facebook crap, make it private.

yes it sucks that she went and committed suicide, but at the same time.... i can only feel so bad, because it was partially her fault, and she was being rather selfish. one of the main reasons i never considered suicide was because of the people i would leave behind. the ones that loved and cared about me. i could never have done that to my family, no matter how bad things got.
    How does your story compare to hers? She went through something totally different. You don't know if she had mental illness. Way to judge her without even knowing her. Classy.

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    get thicker skin
    That was the problem in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The only person responsible for a suicide is the person who takes their own life.
    I agree, because the trolls who bully these people are despicable cunts deserving of a kick in the face whether or not their victims commit suicide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What a stupid girl.
    Stay classy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What does she plan to do?
    She'll let us know as soon as she finishes transcribing Michelle Obama's speech notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geez, that's rough. Feel bad for the family.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Stay classy.

What do you call killing yourself over people saying mean things about you on the god damn internet, if not stupid?

At least go shoot up some place and act like a god damn American!

Kidding.
    Mostly.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-12-03 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What do you call killing yourself over people saying mean things about you on the god damn internet, if not stupid?

At least go shoot up some place and act like a god damn American!

Kidding.
    Mostly.
    Yes, let's keep pretending this was about people saying mean things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Yet another example of someone who didn't even bother reading the article.

/Sigh

- - - Updated - - -

People seem to think that all that happened is that a few people online said mean things to her. Not sure why reading the OP is so difficult these days.

- - - Updated - - -

The source is good enough. You can find another if you feel so inclined. The details won't change.

Also, why are you so to quick to blame the parents. How shameful! You weren't there.
    I read it. I read she changed her number and had fake profiles reaching her. There's an easy thing of deleting Facebook and all that goes away. The number doesn't get fixed but you can block numbers. It's not hard. There is a difference in being stubborn and being proactive.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    I read it. I read she changed her number and had fake profiles reaching her. There's an easy thing of deleting Facebook and all that goes away. The number doesn't get fixed but you can block numbers. It's not hard. There is a difference in being stubborn and being proactive.
    Right, because if you just delete Facebook it magically never happened. And people don't fuck with you about it anymore because you deleted Facebook.

Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Selinde View Post
    Way to twist around the concept of responsibility.. Do you ever say sorry when you hurt somebody else's feelings? Going around hurting others' feelings is not helpful in building relationships with other human beings. Feelings are born from the unconscious mind and as such they are not under our direct control when they arise. Sure we can then decide what to do with them, and we are responsible for our behavior at all times, which is why "I was angry" is not a valid answer to the question "Why did you kill him?". I can't go around and behave like I want to while at the same time expecting or demanding my actions and words will not have any consequences on others. Hurting others with words is the same as hurting others with punches.. It would be insane to expect a person to force himself to not feel physical pain when beaten.
    It's not though. These are just words. People get hurt over words all the time. There is no real harm in that. If someone kills themselves because someone said something mean to them, they were already severely damaged beforehand.

Now, going around doing it deliberately isn't a class act and I wouldn't respect someone who did that just for the fun of it, but it's also nowhere near the level of physical violence and it's (unless very extreme) not illegal, nor should it be.

You raise an overweight child, which is usually the result of you being a lazy parent. Either too lazy to feed the child right, or to make sure the child excercises enough.

You also raise a child so emotionally fragile and dependant on other people`s opinion and approval, that she gets depressed over mean things that are being said about her in the internet.
    You then choose to ignore the fact that your child deeply depressed, or just can't be added to see it.
    And then, when the tragedy happens - it is the internets fault, and the evil bullies.

The scumbags that bullied the girl still need a beating