Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    HPS doesn't matter at high end play. If there's some small difference when everyone is really high, that means nothing. If you have a healer that is consistently performing low on HPS, much lower than everyone else, then they're most likely slow decision makers and thus not great healers. HPS does have SOME use, but using it to compare epeens at high level play is pointless.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I've known a healer that would stand in fire and roll hots on himself in order to top meters, I'm not overly fond of those types of people.

Good healers are hard to evaluate because there are so many factors at play.

1. HPS absolutely matters on progression, I feel like bad players sometimes try to justify poor HPS with the excuse of being a team player. For example on Mythic Ursoc, if the raids HPS is to low people will inevitably die to all the unavoidable damage that goes out. A Shaman can't justify low HPS on that fight since it specifically favors them.

2. Going off point #1, be able to evaluate healers in the context of the group composition and content you are doing. If you are doing Dragons of Nightmare on farm then your poor Resto Shaman is going to be extremely low on the meters and your druids and paladins will probably hold a significant lead. Also, RShaman in general usually have low HPS overall than most other healers due to their kit and utility.

3. Snipe Healing isn't a bad thing, encounters don't wait for people to get healed to a healthy area until they release the next wave of damage. When people dip low they often need to be healed quickly (looking at you ill'ganoth). The problem is when people are overlooking their assigned responsibilities to snipe the extra healing.

4. For the most part (and barring very rare encounter mechanics) overhealing is a useless stat. The true measure of a healer is their effective healing, cooldown usage in regard to other healers, and if they had enough mana to spend when they needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuruption View Post
    Then take a break and DPS or tank.
    and get G kicked cuz H Paly dont use this spell .... atlast if you try to play correctly

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpoon View Post
    Spamming heals keeping people top up does not really make people a better healer.
    Spamming DPS spells to do max DPS doesn't necessarily make you a better DPS. Jk, it does... and so it does for healing as well. Is that everything, no. People need to stop trying to assume that I think the meter is be-all end-all.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

They fucked up about every class and archetype they humanly could this expansion. Healing is in this place where it feels both dated and underwhelming.

Still, on the whole, this game in it's current state has the worst class design I've seen in 17 years of MMOs and online games. I'd even take classic over this.

Trying to snipe healing people to get better number on meter kinda trains you to react quickly to damage in a way. It's obviously not the sole indicator of how good of a healer you are but it's not a bad thing to do especially if you heal solely in pugs like me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    it sucks to not be able to show that you are a better healer than the rest
    Awww..

I hereby award you this weeks ...*drumroll*... "The Best Healer in MMO-C Forums!"-award. Congrats!
    Now you can link to this post to show everyone how awesome healer YOU are and how much THEY suck.

Now you can go out there and call everyone else noobs!
    Go get 'em tiger!

I rerolled twice since legion. First I was a MW Monk, love the spec, but having no contol over mana regen just sucks. I'd be oom half way through a fight and could only pull decent numbers on Cenarius. IMO Healing in general is in a bad place, you have no control over your playstyle when it comes to mana. I rolled Holy pally and had the opposite, I couldn't even make my mana go below 80% in any fight. There is MASSIVE imbalance between each class and the importance of mana management. The removal of spirit killed healing for me, I'm a tank now.

And no I'm not a "Bad healer" I have extremely good rankings for HFC Mythic as a shaman, I just really dislike the feel of all the healers now.

At the highest level of play I'm sure some raid leaders can discriminate between HPS and quality of healing. Everyone else goes by the meters.
    Furthermore, I consider that China must be destroyed.

TBH, with every next expansion started from Cata, healers become more and more irrelevant. Remember good old days in TBC when you could outheal a major raid fuckup? Nowadays, not so much. Being a healer is a thankless job. When you do everything perfectly, nobody will say "hey thanks guys for awesome healz!", but let a couple of people die during farm and boom, you're instantly a person who is worse than Hitler. Add here no more control over mana regen; pruned to the core toolkit; huge imbalance between "good" specs (hpala, rdruid) and "bad" ones (hpriest, disc) in terms of utility, sustainability and throughput; pruned mobility; having to levelup a dps offspec to do solo stuff - despite Blizzard specifically stating that healers will be able to do solo stuff efficiently; very nervous yet boring gameplay - and you'll quickly realise why less and less people want to play healer with every new expansion.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    I rerolled twice since legion. First I was a MW Monk, love the spec, but having no contol over mana regen just sucks. I'd be oom half way through a fight and could only pull decent numbers on Cenarius. IMO Healing in general is in a bad place, you have no control over your playstyle when it comes to mana. I rolled Holy pally and had the opposite, I couldn't even make my mana go below 80% in any fight. There is MASSIVE imbalance between each class and the importance of mana management. The removal of spirit killed healing for me, I'm a tank now.

And no I'm not a "Bad healer" I have extremely good rankings for HFC Mythic as a shaman, I just really dislike the feel of all the healers now.
    I too miss spirit. And innervate restoring mana, or mana tide totem. It was nice to be able to itemize for longer intense fights.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    TBH, with every next expansion started from Cata, healers become more and more irrelevant. Remember good old days in TBC when you could outheal a major raid fuckup? Nowadays, not so much. Being a healer is a thankless job. When you do everything perfectly, nobody will say "hey thanks guys for awesome healz!"
    I don't really raid anymore but I've had a good number of groups thank me for the good heals when I do M+ dungeons.

It sucks to get sniped again and again , it sucks to not be able to show that you are a better healer than the rest because the numbers are irrelevant often.
    Healing isnt DPSing, your job isnt to maximize HPS at all cost, throwing mana at a target who is healing back up anyway and isnt in danger doesnt help the raid all that much.

As a healer, your job is to keep players alive, imo you are better off DPSing when the raid is covered with heals and 'sniping' is happening so long as you react when it counts.

Nobody can say you did a shit job if nobody died

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Healing isnt DPSing, your job isnt to maximize HPS at all cost, throwing mana at a target who is healing back up anyway and isnt in danger doesnt help the raid all that much.

As a healer, your job is to keep players alive, imo you are better off DPSing when the raid is covered with heals and 'sniping' is happening so long as you react when it counts.

Nobody can say you did a shit job if nobody died
    Eh maybe a little debatable. If you run 5 healers and 4 of the healers are stressed because they are doing 90% of the healing then something is wrong. I remember when WotLK first came out and when the first 10 of our guild hit level cap we ran and did naxx 10 man and I almost solo healed the place (it was like 80% of healing done, we ran with 2 healers). I almost didn't heal that expansion because of that first experience with my mana being constantly out trying to keep people alive (fresh level cap so I didn't have as much spirit as later on, obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Eh maybe a little debatable. If you run 5 healers and 4 of the healers are stressed because they are doing 90% of the healing then something is wrong. I remember when WotLK first came out and when the first 10 of our guild hit level cap we ran and did naxx 10 man and I almost solo healed the place (it was like 80% of healing done, we ran with 2 healers). I almost didn't heal that expansion because of that first experience with my mana being constantly out trying to keep people alive (fresh level cap so I didn't have as much spirit as later on, obviously).
    If its cutting edge, id argue that those few healers covered everything and succeeded, what could you as a healer have offered more? if you DPS'd, that contribution would end the fight faster, which could have meant the difference between winning and losing.

Healing is reactionary, if there is little to react to time is much better spent burning down the boss than competing for data on a chart, if you are overhealing thats lost damage on the boss, for every cast you waste on overhealing you could have cast a smite/wrath or whatever on the boss and done a little more dps.

Your contribution to damage may only be 10% of a regular DPS's damage, and you might say its insignificant, but if you could buffa dps by 10% youd take it.

Your Job will still be to Heal, so you will jump in when it counts and if the other healers are suffering it will be your job to pick up the slack, but i still think fudging the charts is wasted time and its a poor representation of whether a healer is successful or not

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    If its cutting edge, id argue that those few healers covered everything and succeeded, what could you as a healer have offered more? if you DPS'd, that contribution would end the fight faster, which could have meant the difference between winning and losing.

Healing is reactionary, if there is little to react to time is much better spent burning down the boss than competing for data on a chart, if you are overhealing thats lost damage on the boss, for every cast you waste on overhealing you could have cast a smite/wrath or whatever on the boss and done a little more dps.

Your contribution to damage may only be 10% of a regular DPS's damage, and you might say its insignificant, but if you could buffa dps by 10% youd take it.

Your Job will still be to Heal, so you will jump in when it counts and if the other healers are suffering it will be your job to pick up the slack, but i still think fudging the charts is wasted time and its a poor representation of whether a healer is successful or not
    They covered everything and succeeded sure, but when it is as skewed as that it usually means that somebody wasn't doing as much as they could have which means that maybe you would've had fewer people get dangerously low. It also means that maybe in another attempt then people do die because of that person.

Also, healing is not really that reactionary. It occasionally is, but generally you should be prehealing people if you are a raid healer as raid damage usually is predictable. And if you are tank healing then that is also not reactive because tank damage is consistent. And just because one person healed significantly less than the other healers it doesn't mean that it would've been overhealing. In fact the faster you get the raid topped off the faster the healers can get damage in. 5 people getting one damage spell in is better than 1 healer getting two or three.

I am not saying that charts are the end all, but when things are that skewed it is generally an indication in a healer not performing.

Healing requires more of a supportive stay-at-home mom mentality where everyone wins.

If you want to be competitive and assert dominance over your raidmates then you should try out DPS.

Unless you want to be that guy who stands in the fire and heals himself to boost his numbers. Then I have no sympathy for you, but I understand how you feel.

Deleted
    quit the game, make a white mage on final fantasy xiv & you'll be in healing heaven & get praised for a job well done.
    hell, people even move out of the shite in FF, unlike the retarded dps in wow.

It sucks to get sniped again and again , it sucks to not be able to show that you are a better healer than the rest because the numbers are irrelevant often.
    How is this different to any previous expansion where healers with absorbs topped the metres?
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    They covered everything and succeeded sure, but when it is as skewed as that it usually means that somebody wasn't doing as much as they could have which means that maybe you would've had fewer people get dangerously low. It also means that maybe in another attempt then people do die because of that person.

Also, healing is not really that reactionary. It occasionally is, but generally you should be prehealing people if you are a raid healer as raid damage usually is predictable. And if you are tank healing then that is also not reactive because tank damage is consistent. And just because one person healed significantly less than the other healers it doesn't mean that it would've been overhealing. In fact the faster you get the raid topped off the faster the healers can get damage in. 5 people getting one damage spell in is better than 1 healer getting two or three.

I am not saying that charts are the end all, but when things are that skewed it is generally an indication in a healer not performing.
    I dont think we are disagreeing on much here. Healing is still always top priority for a healer no doubt, your job is your job, but when you can see that someone is casting a spell that will top off a group, jumping in before with a CD to get credit for that heal instead of them is helping nobody.

1 damage spell is better than causing somebody else to overheal i guess is what i am getting at, not necessarily that you will be the one overhealing. Of course accidentally overhealing is better than not healing at all