How much better would this PC run over the laptop?

So just curious, my friend has been using this laptop, to raid. on settings around 1. He does very well for how poor the performance is. 5 mans / Questing / and 14 and below man raiding works just fine.

Anything + 20 will chop heavily and sometimes turn into a slide show. He doesn't have money to spend on a really nice rig right now, so Im just wondering would my old PC be worth letting him use, or would the performance be just as lack luster.

Laptop ( Hes currently using )

i5-2450M 2.5GHZ Intel(R)
    8GB DDR3
    GTX GT 540M

Desktop (He would be using instead.)

AMD FX-8150 Black Edition
    Liquid Cooling that came with the CPU
    MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Generic Case
    8GIGS DDR3 1600 MHZ Kingston RAM 4x2
    EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 DirectX 11 HD-687A-ZHFC 1GB 256-Bit crossfired
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 DirectX 11 HD-687A-ZHFC 1GB 256-Bit crossfired
    1TB 7200RPM Windows 7 64BIT

Played on a Sylvania SLED3215A 32-Inch LED HD TV

Any idea which should run better? And by how much in your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    The CPU in both of those is nearly the same for single thread performance. Obviously the video card in the desktop is much better, though, so there will be some gains there.

I guess my first question is... Why not just find out? If you aren't using it, answer the question by simply testing it.

That said, does he have any money? You could easily turn that system into a relative wow beast for a couple hundred bucks.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The CPU in both of those is nearly the same for single thread performance. Obviously the video card in the desktop is much better, though, so there will be some gains there.

I guess my first question is... Why not just find out? If you aren't using it, answer the question by simply testing it.

That said, does he have any money? You could easily turn that system into a relative wow beast for a couple hundred bucks.
    Just the drive to deliver it would kind of suck if it wasn't a gain, and yeah he has some money, just not a lot. What kind of changes would make it so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Being an FX 8350 owner I can tell you that I ran WoW at much higher settings than 1. I've ran it at 7, with a HD 7850, though the Radeon HD 6870 shouldn't be much different if not better with CrossFire. Hopefully better with CrossFire. Of course I run the game with AA off, cause the GPU couldn't handle it much higher.

The FX -8150 is similar to the 8350 I have so I would expect nearly the same in performance, except a tinny bit slower. My suggestion is to put a fresh install of Windows 10 on it and install the latest AMD legacy drivers, cause the 6870's would be considered legacy by now. The system should run WoW with graphics level 5 at least.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...%2010%20-%2064

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    Just the drive to deliver it would kind of suck if it wasn't a gain, and yeah he has some money, just not a lot. What kind of changes would make it so?
    Only the CPU matters, and that's expensive to change.