Thread: Mounts > Gear

Mounts > Gear

If the point of wow is to get noticed and have people fawn over you then in all the years of experience its mounts that seem to get the biggest reaction not gear.

I can wear my mythic gear and noone gives a shit but if i mount my 2 mil gold spider mount you wont believe the tells i get and its the same with my other rare mounts. It seems like mounts are the thing if you get your kicks from other people telling you where you got that and shit and them congratulating you.

I guess its the reason i have stopped caring about gear cause it seems gear dont mean fuck all these days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BrummiePride View Post
    I guess its the reason i have stopped caring about gear cause it seems gear dont mean fuck all these days.
    Gear used to be a symbol of your achievements in raids etc. That special look of a weapon or piece of armor meant you had done something special to get it.

Now people don't care much, that's true. But that's not the reason for the reactions to the spider mount. That's because of the price. That's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    But some of the mounts are only obtainable through top end raiding. At least early on that is. Eventually the AH heroes buy the carries and they lose their exclusivity but even that is a status symbol. Being so rich n what not.

I wouldn't say that. I always throw players with mythic raiding gear a second glance. Most of the mythic sets look freaking awesome.

I don't really care about mounts, to be honest.

Deleted
    getting rare stuff early gets you attention.

i've gotten quite a lot of whispers this expansion for both my transmog and mounts, but now that those mounts and items are becoming more common, nobody cares anymore.
    similarly i'm sure people who get the guldan mount early will get a lot of attention, and then a few months later nobody cares anymore.

I think its that there used to be t0 t1 and t2 and a couple of pvp sets and a couple of really iconic weapons. Most people could tell that sword x was "the neferian sword"
    These days you not only have transmog, so no one is running around in clown armor anymore, but we have 5 versions of 20 tiersets to chose from. So very few people know where any new armor is from.
    where the rare horsies are from, is way easier to keep track off.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Tier sets haven't been striking since T6, at least that's the last time I remember being able to look at someone and immediately know what content they were doing. Subjectively, I haven't found them very attractive either so, no, I'm not going to "fawn" over an ugly gear set.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Since gear is basically outdated by the next patch or raid(sometimes even before that) of course a mount that one has forever is and should be a bigger deal. Heck with transmog one doesn't even know unless they inspect you what gear one even has. Mounts on the other hand one has for the rest of the time they play wow

Grease is the word.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have 'a lot' of mounts, but the only one that has ever been commented on is the 'Zhevra' that I got from the RAF thingy.

As for gear, well it used to be distinctive and people knew it came from raids or high end pvp so required a bit of effort or time to get. I remember getting quite a few comments when I got Ashkandi back in vanilla on my retribution Paladin.

Sadly these days most gear looks quite bland compared to the old vanilla tier sets, and weapons are even worse because every single player is carrying near identical copies of their classes artifact weapon. Lets be honest, artifact weapons like The Ashbringer must be truly powerful, if they can be simultaneously wielded by over three million paladins. Perhaps artifact weapons are similar to demons, in that they exist across all time and space and can only be destroyed in the Twisting Nether

Gear lasts for a tier, mounts lasts forever.

Toy/pets/mounts/vanity > Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Gear used to be a symbol of your achievements in raids etc. That special look of a weapon or piece of armor meant you had done something special to get it.

Now people don't care much, that's true. But that's not the reason for the reactions to the spider mount. That's because of the price. That's all.
    Might also have to do with the fact that gear has a way higher drop chance than most mounts. Get Rivendare's Charger in classic and you got way more whispers and attention than the 50th druid with T2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Get Rivendare's Charger in classic and you got way more whispers and attention than the 50th druid with T2.
    That's because gear drops more consistently. You can "expect" to get every piece of gear within a reasonable amount of time, but the mounts are "rare" compared to that.

Still, the attention of a 2 mill mount is not because it looks good. It's because it's expensive to most people, so they think it's silly to spend that amount on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrummiePride View Post
    If the point of wow is to get noticed and have people fawn over you then in all the years of experience its mounts that seem to get the biggest reaction not gear.
    I don't know, wouldn't it be better to focus on doing what you enjoy yourself, and decide yourself what is worth something. Or even care about the actual journey, challenges and time spent with other people. Instead of focusing on what other people think about your gear/mount/car/house or other status symbols.

Deleted
    I've got one of the rarest Pets in WoW alltogether and nobody gives a crap. And for Mounts, I could not care less. I got the Nightbane Mount 2 Weeks ago and have not mounted it ever since, since I would never use a Flying-Mount on Ground.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The true endgame is the Fashion endgame.

Be Sexy or go home. Gear is just the path to be fabulous!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post

Most tiers since mid wotlk have looked like garbage, with a few exceptions, seriously.. owning a sword with an extra blade for every tier since classic would be an improvement.