Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Millennials are 1982 through 2004. =/
    I was born in 1983, so I guess I would count.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Shouldn't wages mirror costs of living? Unless someone at the type is siphoning off the excess...
    I'm genuinely curious here. Why should wages mirror costs of living? Who defines what the cost of living is, i.e. what is actually necessary for living in this society? Are we talking all wages, like unskilled, education unimportant, "minimum" wage jobs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    I'm genuinely curious here. Why should wages mirror costs of living? Who defines what the cost of living is, i.e. what is actually necessary for living in this society? Are we talking all wages, like unskilled, education unimportant, "minimum" wage jobs?
    Why should those working continue to live in poverty?

Education and skills are nice but they don't always keep you safe from the unemployment line.

Perhaps wages are too low for the skilled work that the "unskilled" workers seem like they're the ones out of line for asking for wages high enough to support a basic lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why would they lump 18 year olds into the same bracket? I've been in my career for over a decade and a half and make six figures. John Doe just starting college won't be making that for years to come. Of course the results are skewed.
    And the amount of people making six figures after a decade is so significantly low except for a lucky few. You're completely out of touch with the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    One obvious problem is that what constitutes "poverty" is a shifting target.

Education and skills are nice but they don't always keep you safe from the unemployment line.

Perhaps wages are too low for the skilled work that the "unskilled" workers seem like they're the ones out of line for asking for wages high enough to support a basic lifestyle.
    You're right, education and skills don't always keep you from unemployment. But, the potential to get a job that pays "well" should be a part of becoming educated and trained. Now, I don't refer to degrees or "skills" that have no practical application and absolutely no demand. No education, no skills? Prepare to get a job that doesn't pay well, until you can get to a point in your life where you get something better.

If you would, define what it is to "support a basic lifestyle".
    Last edited by medievalman1; 2016-12-03 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, education and skills don't always keep you from unemployment. But, the potential to get a job that pays "well" should be a part of becoming educated and trained. Now, I don't refer to degrees or "skills" that have no practical application and absolutely no demand. No education, no skills? Prepare to get a job that doesn't pay well, until you can get to a point in your life where you get something better.

If you would, define what it is to "support a basic lifestyle".
    I'll answer the last question first -- One that involves being able to eat, shelter, and clothe oneself without the need of government assistance. Also that leaves a small amount left over for savings in case of emergency. Far too many people who attack workers are also in a spot where a medical emergency or a car repair can be catastrophic.

You'll have to tell me what you think is "well-paid" based on demanded skills. For instance what do you think a Custodian should be paid? A Housekeeper? A Nurse? A Plumber? Should not all of these people both skilled/unskilled be able to seek another place of employment and have the ability to take care of the above until they can further find work in their respective fields?

And something better isn't always an option...especially for those who have spent so long in their particular fields and end up out of work due to outsourcing or plant closures. Telling a person who has spent 35+ years building car parts in Ohio that they need to go back to school, compete with people much younger than him/herself, and hope they can get an entry level job somewhere making enough to pay the bills is asinine.

:If those jobs are "unimportant" why do the rest of us partake of their product? Cross-threading here, but if you can't afford to make, or afford the time to make, your own cheeseburger, isn't that McD employee doing a service for you? I wouldn't call being fed to be "unimportant."

Edit to add: I don't do my landscaping, roofing, deck work, etc. Those guys are probably making close to minimum, but I hire them because I don't have the time. Heard?
    Last edited by belfpala; 2016-12-03 at 09:40 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubSlayer View Post
    IKR, those lesbian dance studies paying off fam.
    My english lit degree currently nets me more than the average by a mint for my state and I live a block from one of the most gorgeous beaches in the country.

This has been posted from my office while I have my regular afternoon beer.

That useless liberal arts degree. /shakes fist

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    My english lit degree currently nets me more than the average by a mint for my state and I live a block from one of the most gorgeous beaches in the country.

I have two degrees in English (B.A. and M.A) and I am making triple the figures posted in Texas. I've never been unemployed and I was the first in my friend circle to find a full-time job after college with full salary and benefits. I love my job and I look forward to going to work 80% of the time.
    Skoldier for life.

Out of all of my friends who are within the "millennial" age range I make the least. I also make 3x my states average...

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohn View Post
    What they make, avg 15$/hr...

What they think they deserve? $80-100/hr.

Plus a participation trophy.
    ~22k/year is closer to 10-11/hr. $15/hr is 31,200/year

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    I have two degrees in English (B.A. and M.A) and I am making triple the figures posted in Texas. I've never been unemployed and I was the first in my friend circle to find a full-time job after college with full salary and benefits. I love my job and I look forward to going to work 80% of the time.
    I like to bring this up when I get the chance. I always see shit written from the infinite mediocrity (those slobs that are loud and average and angry about it) about these degrees being shit like basket weaving and I just laugh into my mojito.

And somehow I manage to still vote with their interests in mind. Funny that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll answer the last question first -- One that involves being able to eat, shelter, and clothe oneself without the need of government assistance. Also that leaves a small amount left over for savings in case of emergency. Far too many people who attack workers are also in a spot where a medical emergency or a car repair can be catastrophic.

You'll have to tell me what you think is "well-paid" based on demanded skills. For instance what do you think a Custodian should be paid? A Housekeeper? A Nurse? A Plumber? Should not all of these people both skilled/unskilled be able to seek another place of employment and have the ability to take care of the above until they can further find work in their respective fields?

And something better isn't always an option...especially for those who have spent so long in their particular fields and end up out of work due to outsourcing or plant closures. Telling a person who has spent 35+ years building car parts in Ohio that they need to go back to school, compete with people much younger than him/herself, and hope they can get an entry level job somewhere making enough to pay the bills is asinine.
    That is what welfare is for, ensuring people have what they need. Success is for having what you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    :If those jobs are "unimportant" why do the rest of us partake of their product? Cross-threading here, but if you can't afford to make, or afford the time to make, your own cheeseburger, isn't that McD employee doing a service for you? I wouldn't call being fed to be "unimportant."

Edit to add: I don't do my landscaping, roofing, deck work, etc. Those guys are probably making close to minimum, but I hire them because I don't have the time. Heard?
    Roofers around here make ~$15+ to start and eventually top out at over $25.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    That is what welfare is for, ensuring people have what they need. Success is for having what you want.
    Already covered the government assistance part. Just because you're bad at math doesn't mean you need to demonstrate a lack of reading comprehension as well.

10+ Year Old Account

I prefer to have my office beer on Friday so I am not in my office on the weekend....

I prefer to have my office beer on Friday so I am not in my office on the weekend....
    I love my job so I work whenever I don't have something else I need to do.

Also, that's every day. Not just today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already covered the government assistance part. Just because you're bad at math doesn't mean you need to demonstrate a lack of reading comprehension as well.
    The point being so long as there is welfare, there is no need to whine you are only getting paid what you are actually worth.

- - - Updated - - -

I love my job so I work whenever I don't have something else I need to do.

Also, that's every day. Not just today.
    I love my job as well, but I prefer to have hobbies and a family life.

To be honest, stats like this are as uninformative or perhaps just misleading as measuring male vs female earnings; it's too broad.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I love my job as well, but I prefer to have hobbies and a family life.
    I can do my hobbies at work most of the time.

I take care of my mom who is currently going through chemo as well as other family obligations.

And I can still go into work a few hours on a Saturday to catch the afternoon post farmers market traffic.

What's the difference in taking off MON/TUES instead of Saturday and Sunday? Nice attempt at a dig, though