Installing HDD trouble?

So recently i managed to pick up a WD HDD Blue version 500GB for 5 bucks but failed to install after connecting the SATA Cable and power supply. I'm still kinda new at modding my rig so i'm not 100% sure if i connected the right PSU cable to my hdd. Since i already had a functioning SDD connected to my mobo, i took the remaining of the PSU cable that branched out from the same cable that is connected to my SDD to connect to my new HDD (correct me if im wrong here) and took a brand new SATA cable to connect it to my mobo. Everything was fine until i was doing the disk partition part for my desktop to recognize the hdd, it says file could not be found or something along the line. TL;DR: my question is, is my HDD faulty or am i doing something wrong here?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinofasin View Post
    Everything was fine until i was doing the disk partition part for my desktop to recognize the hdd, it says file could not be found or something along the line.
    The drive is being detected by the BIOS? If so, then we need more information of what the "or something" is. I'm also curious what you mean by "the disk partition part".

There's only one power cable that will fit.

If you can see the drive in BIOS or Disk Managment (Windows), then it should be working.

Still, a 5 dollar drive may very well be faulty.

That's really all I can say. Perhaps screen-shots of the Disk Managment screen and error message could help us further?

"File not found" is a funny error for partioning though. I just pray you didn't try to partition the wrong drive. I suppose if we never see you again we will know the answer to that question.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2016-12-02 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post

If you can see the drive in BIOS or Disk Managment (Windows), then it should be working.

That's really all I can say. Perhaps screen-shots of the Disk Managment screen and error message could help us further?

"File not found" is a funny error for partioning though. I just pray you didn't try to partition the wrong drive. I suppose if we never see you again we will know the answer to that question.
    I feel really bad for laughing so hard at that last line.....

I felt really bad typing it. I was actually typing a novel about how to make sure you were partitioning / formatting the correct drive. Then it dawned on me... if that was the reason for "file not found", someone would have had to fix it for him before he could even read my response. Or he'd have to get on another computer and start another thread about fixing "boot partition not found".
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2016-12-02 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post

definitely not possible because my desktop is currently running only on one SSD, the previous hdd died so

- - - Updated - - -

its not that, when i enter the disk management page, my hdd doesn't show up on that page at all