Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    While disc does do damage while healing, it's still a 'pure' healer. It doesn't trade healing for damage, instead you should consider it's damage as part of its utility (compared to say druids who have more cc).
    Disc does very well with the right talents, let me use some numbers to explain.
    Compare all the healer's "quick heal" spells, those are the 1.5 second, higher mana spells. We will assume no secondary stats, and only baseline mastery, and no artifact traits or legendaries

Disc: Shadow Mend: 750% spellpower
    Holy: Flash Heal + EoL (10% baseline): 475% spellpower + 47.5% = 522.5%
    Hpal: Flash of Light + Lightbringer (12% baseline): 450% spellpower * 1.12 = 504% spellpower
    Druid: Regrowth + Harmony (4.8*3): ((350% *(40% increased crit chance)) + 60% hot over 12 sec (10% per 2 sec, 6 sec)) = 629.2% spellpower
    Sham: Healing Surge + Deep Healing (24%): 475% spellpower *1.24 = 589% spellpower
    MW: Effuse+Gusts of Mist (80% sp): 250% spellpower + 80% = 330% spellpower

As you can see, disc has by far the strongest single target, spammable heal out of all the healers, even without it's mastery affecting it.

All these other healer's masteries will increase their flash heal, but disc's doesn't, however its a simple matter of gearing for haste, crit and vers, and avoiding mastery to keep us easily on par with, or ahead of other healer's outputs for 5mans. On top of that, we take the grace talent, which basically gives us 30% more healing on shadow mend and PWS, and then we take Twist of Fate, which gives us 20% increase damage AND healing for 10 seconds after healing someone below 35% health. This makes our 5man triage healing extremely powerful.

On AoE, we will compare baseline AoE healing spells on a per second basis, 1 cast. Same assumptions, 5 targets max.
    Disc: Penance + Absolution (Atone on 5 people) = (570%*0.4495*5)/2sec = 640.5% spellpower per sec
    Holy: Prayer of Healing + Echo of Light: (200%*5)/2sec + 100%/6sec = 516.66% spellpower per sec
    Hpal: Light of Dawn + Lightbringer: (180%*1.12*5)/1.5sec = 672% spellpower per sec
    Druid: Wild Growth + Harmony: (238%*1.144*5)/7sec = 192.48% spellpower per sec [note, this isn't quite accurate, since the per second amount starts high and slows down]
    Sham: Chain Heal + Deep Healing: ((400*1.24)*(0.7^0 + 0.7^1 + 0.7^2 + 0.7^3))/2.5sec = 502.54% spellpower per sec
    MW: Essence Front: (110%*3*5)/3sec + (36%*3*5)/6sec = 640% spellpower per sec

Cooldowns
    Disc:
    Power Word: Barrier: AoE 25% reduced dmg for 10sec, 3min cd
    Pain Suppression: 40% reduced dmg for 8sec, 4min cd
    Shadowfiend: ~240%sp (hard to get an exact coefficnent on shadowfiend melee coefficent, extrapolating from logs) dps for 12sec, converts to 107.88% sp/sec atonement healing (total=~240%*0.4495*5*12 = 6472.8% sp, this is actually equal to about 2/3rds of a divine hymn or tanquility, its a bit weaker, but a bit longer, and also does dps and is mobile), 3min cd
    Rapture: PWS spam, 8sec, 2min cd

Holy:
    Divine Hymn: 750% healing over 8 sec and increases healing on targets by 10% for 8sec, double in 5mans = 750*1.1*1.1*2*5 =9075% sp
    Holy Word: Serenity: 2000%*1.1 = 2200% sp heal, 1min cd, reduced by other abilities
    Holy Word: Sanctify: 600%*1.1*5 = 3300% sp AoE heal, 1min cd, reduced by other abilities
    Guardian Spirit: 10sec, 40% increased healing on target, prevents target death but is consumed, 4min cd.

Hpal:
    Aura Mastery: 6sec, various effects, 3min cd
    Avenging Wrath: 20sec, 35% increased healing, 20% increased crit, 2min cd
    Lay on Hands: Max Health heal, 10min cd
    Blessing of Protection: Physical Dmg immunity, 10sec, 5min cd
    Blessing of Sacrifice: Transfers 30% dmg to paladin for 12 sec, 2.5min cd.

So as you can see, in terms of it's healing abilities and cooldowns, disc is just as good as any other healer.
    Thanks that's very convincing
    Didn't know it looked this way numerically
    All discs ive seen only do half hps of others so I assumed they're more of a hybrid, but of course pain suppression and barrier is part of the reason

- - - Updated - - -

By the way my priest just hit 110 yesterday and I really struggled to heal up my team when there's heavy group damage, I've no idea what to do when light wraths on cd, but i do just fine in holy
    Personally i like the disc playstyle more maybe I'll stick to it for now and see how it goes for higher levels, thanks guys

Deleted
    Doing 12s and 13s as Holy, works fine. Gonna try get that elusive 15+ this week.

Quote Originally Posted by danieltang34 View Post
    Thanks that's very convincing
    Didn't know it looked this way numerically
    All discs ive seen only do half hps of others so I assumed they're more of a hybrid, but of course pain suppression and barrier is part of the reason
    Yeah, the reason most discs you see do so much lower healing is mostly just because they're not very good, and the spec is certainly not the most straightforward healer. In dungeons what you often see is Disc's who think they're supposed to be able to only Atonement heal, or who give up entirely on atonement and only Shadow Mend spam, and the group ends up wiping because you've got the equivalent of a Holy priest trying to tank heal with Prayer of Healing, or AoE heal with Flash Heal, which of course won't work. So that'd be your typical experience of disc in dungeons.

For raids disc is also very punishing if you get it wrong, even when you know what you're doing, so if they don't actually know what they're doing they'll do very, very bad hps. And even if they do know what they're doing, but make a mistake or get a really bad timing with a random targeted mechanic (eg, brambles on cenarius, venom/web on spiderbirdpig, etc), their hps will take a massive hit compared to if they pull it off correctly. This is because the majority of disc healing comes in big bursts, each of which is about a strong as a tranquility. I'm sure you've seen the difference between a druid who did a good tranq and one who didnt, and disc is like that but if you imagine they just had mostly just tranquilities, and each one cost 20-30% mana. So even if you have a good disc priest you might see them go from top healing on one attempt to bottom on the next, depending on how well they executed their bursts.

By the way my priest just hit 110 yesterday and I really struggled to heal up my team when there's heavy group damage, I've no idea what to do when light wraths on cd, but i do just fine in holy
    Personally i like the disc playstyle more maybe I'll stick to it for now and see how it goes for higher levels, thanks guys
    Most of what I said earlier to PeopleReady is still relevant for you. Disc in legion definitely takes some time to get used to, especially if you didn't play it during MoP (current disc is somewhat comparable in the meta gameplay to high-end mop disc, in terms of swaping between DPS and healing, and also timing abilities and utilizing burst and cooldowns).

Penance>Smite>Smite with Atonement on the whole party is what you want for heavy AoE healing, using Mindbender/Shadowfiend for very heavy AoE, and if it's more spiky, random damage then you should still be using penance, but throwing in more Shadow Mends when people take a chunk of damage.
    I've given advice for fresh disc's in 5man content several times, so instead of rewriting it all, I'll just link you to one of my earlier posts: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post43268047
    Hopefully that should help a bit
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

For me I think Disc not play good but I saw some video from Great Disc priest

Deleted
    Holy is decent, but it depends on modifiers. Overflowing is easy mode, mastery takes care of debuffs when you accidentally crit, mc is nice for bolstering and GS is really good for necrotic. Having no mitigation makes high level raging a stressful one, volcanic and sanguine can cause deaths if you have to move with no FH procs or holy words.

Quote Originally Posted by jobbly View Post
    Shadow gets better the higher the M+ you go, but it is also great if your group is bad. And inversely pretty awful if your group is good.

For instance with my normal group Hunter/DH + me, they both do over 600k dps over an arcway 12 for example, while im doing 460.

But then if you go into a pug M+ where the other 2 dps are doing 350k, you will do 550. At least that's how it goes for me.
    I've noticed this. I can somehow do amazing (not that I know how lol) in the higher m+/

Quote Originally Posted by Elimere View Post
    I've noticed this. I can somehow do amazing (not that I know how lol) in the higher m+/
    It's because when things have more health, or the other dps aren't doing as much damage, they live longer, which lets shadow get into full voidform and get the most out of it's dots.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

I understand why in theory I'm doing better, but then I turn around and do the same thing in raid and apparently I'm the worst spriest ever. A friend sent me to the website in the hopes that maybe someone can look at my logs and tell me why I suck so bad lol.

After about 2weeks of playing shadow&disc, i think shadow is okish for 10+ mythics without s2m and god like when i pop s2m, but theyre pretty garbage in low mythics
    Meanwhile disc does fine in 2~9, but it is quite hard for 10+
    Its by no mean undoable, but its very unforgiving