Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chipwood View Post
    they won the conference that had 4 teams in the running for a playoff spot 24 hours ago.
    Technically, yeah. I'd argue that the Big Ten really needs to look at the way it handles spots in the championship game, but we debated that in this thread a week or so ago so I won't get into it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    ell Washington obviously will, because they won their conference too, have a better record even if their SoS is a bit squishy, and won by convincing amrgins over most of their games (except Arizona)
    Must be pretty tough beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor and their other equally strenuous matchups in the PAC 12!

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    I'd argue even moreso than 2 years ago with Baylor/TCU/OSU vying for that last spot.
    I remember watching that TCU/Iowa St game thinking... you NEED to put 70 or 80 on this shit team, NEED or else it opens the door. TCU wins 77-3 and Ohio beats Wisconsin 23-20 and TCU lights up Alabama before losing to Oregon. Urban knows the game and put his boot all up Wisconsin's candy ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

... and the conference championship.
    Yeah, with a pretty big asterisk next to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, yeah. I'd argue that the Big Ten really needs to look at the way it handles spots in the championship game, but we debated that in this thread a week or so ago so I won't get into it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be pretty tough beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor and their other equally strenuous matchups in the PAC 12!
    They could probably beat Penn State too

They could probably beat Penn State too
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...ters-poor-joke

We all know that the main reason that the actual Little Sisters of the Poor was annoyed at Gordon Gee's comments originally was because they were pretty sure they could easily take out Baylor and TCU themselves that year. "Even WE could put up 80 on these defenses!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I remember watching that TCU/Iowa St game thinking... you NEED to put 70 or 80 on this shit team, NEED or else it opens the door. TCU wins 77-3 and Ohio beats Wisconsin 23-20 and TCU lights up Alabama before losing to Oregon. Urban knows the game and put his boot all up Wisconsin's candy ass.
    You really think TCU could've beaten Bama that year? I'm not so sure, they had major issues on defense.

EDIT: Holy shit, just went back and looked at TCU's games that year; I forgot they put up 82 on Texas Tech. I know that Tech's d is a total dumpster fire most years and they probably don't even recruit defensive players, but still.
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2016-12-04 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...ters-poor-joke

We all know that the main reason that the actual Little Sisters of the Poor was annoyed at Gordon Gee's comments originally was because they were pretty sure they could easily take out Baylor and TCU themselves that year. "Even WE could put up 80 on these defenses!"
    Id have to go re-look up TCU's defense from 2011, but in 2010: lolWisconsin. 2014: 42-3. 2015: possibly.

Newer post to Itachki: I think you're remembering the wrong year. 2014 we had a lights out defense (Although I wanna forget the Baylor game). 2015 was our D struggle year.

Id have to go re-look up TCU's defense from 2011, but in 2010: lolWisconsin. 2014: 42-3. 2015: possibly.

Newer post to Itachki: I think you're remembering the wrong year. 2014 we had a lights out defense (Although I wanna forget the Baylor game). 2015 was our D struggle year.
    Yeah I was looking at the wrong year, I just googled it. Here's 2014: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/b...l-schedule.php Not sure I'd call that "lights out defense," but it wasn't as bad as I remembered it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I was looking at the wrong year, I just googled it. Here's 2014: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/b...l-schedule.php Not sure I'd call that "lights out defense," but it wasn't as bad as I remembered it.
    Well ok not lights out, but with the exception of the epic collapse at Baylor, it was pretty solid. Then half of them graduated and we regressed in 2015

and well, you saw how they played vs Ole Miss. Pretty sure they could've handled Bama

- - - Updated - - -

TCU has the 2nd best QB in the state coming in next year so I look forward to 2017. We all know Hill was a holdover.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-12-04 at 05:50 AM.

I get the arguments for OSU, but still see the same problem. If the B1G champion isn't the best B1G team then what's the point of having the conference or the championship game? What's the purpose? It makes no sense.

Penn State is the B1G champion, but not the best B1G team? huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I get the arguments for OSU, but still see the same problem. If the B1G champion isn't the best B1G team then what's the point of having the conference or the championship game? What's the purpose? It makes no sense.

Right, which is why I (and others) a few pages back talked about the idea of just having the 2 best teams play in the conference championship game, regardless of what division they're in (divisions are stupid and lead to blowouts in conference championships, imo). You'd decide who the best are by a number of factors: SOS, head to head, wins over ranked teams, big ten records, division records, I dunno, whatever, some math geek can make a solid algorithm.

Also (and I know people will scoff at this) I'm not just saying that because it benefits OSU this year. Believe me, if OSU is clearly going to get blown out in a conference championship and/or playoff, I'd rather they didn't go and played in a bowl where they don't have a fighting chance. I'd rather accept the fact that a certain year just isn't our year and enjoy a bowl win (or close game) against a similarly-talented team than see my team get blown out by 40 in a huge game where some stupid tiebreaker put us in but one that we clearly weren't deserving of or prepared for. We have enough trouble winning championships when we're the favorite or supposedly evenly matched (Hello, 2006 and 2007 Buckeyes), we don't need to get beat down on a big stage due to name recognition or idiotic tiebreaking systems.

I'm a fan of my conference as well and would prefer to see the best team in the Big Ten go to the playoff if it's clear they're the best. While I'd have a really hard time cheering for Michigan and John "Crybaby Bitch" Harbaugh in a national championship game, you bet your ass I'll be 100% behind PSU if they get the last playoff spot. (As I was last year with MSU even though they kept us out) I just really can't stand Michigan, or Purdue. (Drew Brees years) Rutgers, in about 2000 years when you finally put together a championship quality team, I got your back.

- - - Updated - - -

and well, you saw how they played vs Ole Miss. Pretty sure they could've handled Bama
    I don't remember that game; I wasn't watching a lot of minor-league football that year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft, see you in 2018

Pfft, see you in 2018
    We'll see! You seem to support an awful lot of Texas teams, so if any of the 10 or so you talk about does well next year, feel free to say "I told you so!"

Seriously tho, I'll be cheering on the Longhorns next year since you guys got Herman.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll see! You seem to support an awful lot of Texas teams, so if any of the 10 or so you talk about does well next year, feel free to say "I told you so!"

Seriously tho, I'll be cheering on the Longhorns next year since you guys got Herman.
    Since when does 2 mean a lot? Lol. Unless you mean over all sports and not just college, then guilty as charged.

I think we'll do well if he keeps the value system in place and the kids embrace him. At least he'll have full support for 1 year, but I'm not expecting more than 8 wins personally

10+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna happen. Ohio State will stay #2 and PSU stays out. They were dominated for most of their game vs. OSU, won on a fluke play, and lost one more game than OSU did.

1. Alabama vs. 4. Washington
    2. THE Ohio State University vs. 3 Clemson
    Ok, ok. My friend and I were having this question, because on Sunday Night Football, they have roster introductions where each player says who they are and where they come from. WHY is it "THE. Ohio State University"? Is there another Ohio State University that exists in like Honduras or something, and they have to specify?

... and the conference championship.
    I was giving psu credit for the wisc win which is all the committee should do. Overall criteria would still favor Ohio St imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Ok, ok. My friend and I were having this question, because on Sunday Night Football, they have roster introductions where each player says who they are and where they come from. WHY is it "THE. Ohio State University"? Is there another Ohio State University that exists in like Honduras or something, and they have to specify?
    Haha I'm not sure how all of that started. It's something I've always heard and that I just kind of go along with...I think it might be a joke among the fanbase as much as anything else at this point. A google search brought this up: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...5131044AAdGdqT Yahoo Answers though, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Under "related questions" on that Yahoo post: "Would Ohio State win "Dancing with the Stars" with the way it tap-dances around formidable opponents each year?" I am entertained.
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2016-12-04 at 06:45 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post

This in a nutshell. And the current top four won their games (well, the three that played in their conference title game, lol). If anyone gets booted it should be OSU for Penn St., and that isn't going to happen - even if it should.

Might have been addressed already - but wtf was wrong with Browning against Colorado?

So the playoff field is being announced today (Sunday) at 9AM? That's pretty random; you'd think they'd try to milk it for a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by pendulous View Post
    ok, ok. My friend and i were having this question, because on sunday night football, they have roster introductions where each player says who they are and where they come from. Why is it "the. Ohio state university"? Is there another ohio state university that exists in like honduras or something, and they have to specify?
    sizzle, ball so hard university.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we're back to the "Ohio State should drop 3 ranks because they have a week off even though their last game was a win against the #3 team" silliness?