Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional Analysis View Post
    This question is asked for just about every spec in every single class forum. The answer has, and always will, depend on your answer to the following question:

Are you in a top 50 guild?

If your answer to the bolded question is "yes", then the answer is, "That depends largely on your RL's perception of your spec when forming the core roster."

If your answer to the bolded question is "no", then the answer is, "Play whatever you want."
    Another pathetic excuse. In 6.2, playing Survival over Marksman was at the very least a 20% damage nerf. That was on sustained single target: Survival's BEST situation at the time.

Picking Survival then was easily the difference between killing a priority add on time v.s. killing it too late.

Viability is absolutely a relevant issue to ALL hunters.

So drop the patronising bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Another pathetic excuse. In 6.2, playing Survival over Marksman was at the very least a 20% damage nerf. That was on sustained single target: Survival's BEST situation at the time.

Picking Survival then was easily the difference between killing a priority add on time v.s. killing it too late.

Thanks for the history lesson, broskie. But this isn't 6.2, and a decently leveled BM artifact isn't 20% behind marksman, so your outdated scenario is irrelevant. You've contributed nothing to this conversation but accuse me of subtle elitism. The funny thing is, I'm about as casual as they come, so the joke's on you.
    Last edited by Functional Analysis; 2016-12-02 at 08:57 AM.

This question is asked for just about every spec in every single class forum. The answer has, and always will, depend on your answer to the following question:

Are you in a top 50 guild?

If your answer to the bolded question is "yes", then the answer is, "That depends largely on your RL's perception of your spec when forming the core roster."

If your answer to the bolded question is "no", then the answer is, "Play whatever you want."

This is absolute horseshit, you don't have to be in a top guild to play the spec that best suits the fight, and to have that actually make a difference.

Deleted
    Thanks for the history lesson, broskie. But this isn't 6.2, and a decently leveled BM artifact isn't 20% behind marksman, so your outdated scenario is irrelevant. You've contributed nothing to this conversation but accuse me of subtle elitism. The funny thing is, I'm about as casual as they come, so the joke's on you.
    you're a retard

Quote Originally Posted by Tangman View Post
    Please dont stop. Im loving this. When we're done, can you start about whos dad is strongest?
    Question offend me, my dad is the srongest one, of course.

The answer has, and always will, depend on your answer to the following question
    10 Characters

top 50 is a gross generalization. There are plenty of really really good players inside world top 1000 and even inside world 2000. Past a certain point, progress depends on how much you are willing to raid. Less time raiding naturally equals lower progress rank.

Viable or not also depends on raid composition. BM has definite weaknesses with target switching and spread cleave so you need other ranged specs to cover for you. If you're the only BM hunter in the range, i think its fine, having 2 or 3 will be a handicap for those type of fights.

Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post
    This is absolute horseshit, you don't have to be in a top guild to play the spec that best suits the fight, and to have that actually make a difference.
    The OP's question was about whether BM was viable, which to me means "Will I be benched by my RL for playing BM"? In casual guilds, probably not. In a hardcore progression scenario; most likely. If someone asks whether a class is viable, I think it's intellectually lazy to give them an answer without considering their goals.
    If that's the only thing you were objecting to, then I'll concede "always will" was a poor choice of words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbypro View Post
    top 50 is a gross generalization. There are plenty of really really good players inside world top 1000 and even inside world 2000. Past a certain point, progress depends on how much you are willing to raid. Less time raiding naturally equals lower progress rank.

Viable or not also depends on raid composition. BM has definite weaknesses with target switching and spread cleave so you need other ranged specs to cover for you. If you're the only BM hunter in the range, i think its fine, having 2 or 3 will be a handicap for those type of fights.
    Didn't think people would take the number 50 so literally, but I can see the value in being more precise. Put whatever number you feel is valid: I think the point of the post is preserved.
    Last edited by Functional Analysis; 2016-12-03 at 07:25 AM.

He is right though...I dont get why people bash BM so hard....once you get 26+ traits and get good legendaries/relics it is fine for dps. Unless you are cutting edge progression with lower ilvls where every single 1k of dps matters than BM is totally viable and fine. I wish people would quit it with saying MM is the ONLY spec you can be...and Im MM

Anything that is said regarding specs being viable in Nighthold is directly comming out from people's assholes. This is the second PTR cycle and the Devs have mentioned that none of the changes, and balance tuning are even close to being changed. They can change anything they want, including tier sets. When the final build of the PTR is ready for testing, our lord and savior Azortharion will show us the light. Until then, sit tight and focus on live. On these forums I would say Azor, Niix, Kenny, and Effin are the only ones you should be listening to. (Not sure if any other pro players are on here)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot View Post
    Anything that is said regarding specs being viable in Nighthold is directly comming out from people's assholes. This is the second PTR cycle and the Devs have mentioned that none of the changes, and balance tuning are even close to being changed. They can change anything they want, including tier sets. When the final build of the PTR is ready for testing, our lord and savior Azortharion will show us the light. Until then, sit tight and focus on live. On these forums I would say Azor, Niix, Kenny, and Effin are the only ones you should be listening to. (Not sure if any other pro players are on here)
    Assuming that Nighthold with have fights with adds then it's pretty much guaranteed that MM will be better until they fix pet mechanics. That's just reality.

I prefer BM and play it in M+, But MM is unequivocally better in any fight with spread cleave or priority target switching, and that is because of mechanics, not numbers.

Would stacking crit + mastery with Mantle of Command and Qa'pla legendaries and One with the Pack and Way of the Cobra talents be a viable build? The idea would be to get as many dire beast procs as possible to reduce the CD on kill command and increase cobra shot damage (Mantle of Command would prevent them from going to waste). Haste would become less important as you would get more focus regeneration from dire beast spam and rely more on CD resets than reductions.

Deleted
    Pretty sure building around legendaries and rng chances for a dps spec is not something that works good.

Deleted
    «Wilfire: I got no mathematical proof or sims yet but stacking crit over haste even with the Shoulders probably looses out. For two reasons A: haste also gives you more hits to proc Wild Call from, thus switching to crit may not yield more procs over time. B: Wildcall chance, even talented is very small, giving you a low return for alle the crit you invested. Its basicly a proc of a proc(considering crit as one) making it still unreliable.
    @Functional Analasis, imho its not a question for the top 50 or even 100 Guilds but any guild that desires to progress as best as they can on Mythic. If one spec is mechanicly gimped, e.g. through pet pathing bugs or got 20% less dps on average than the other, or is a Melee spec where your raid desperately needs more ranged DPS(the latter is more an issue for non Top 100 guilds since those people got es multiple char choices anyway) than you should consider investing in the stronger spec.
    If anything the bold question should be Given your circumstances and choices do you want to perform as strong as possible.

Having said that BM is viable right now, MM is stronger and recommended mostly due to reasons posted again by Effin. Imho so far SV basicly was not viable unless your Raid had no better Melees at all which should never happen. It is likely that BM stays viable through the PTR iterations to 7.15. If it is recommendable over MM on release of the patch we will have to see since MM mechanics are still in development and moreso the numbers balance.

Deleted
    You know, the fun part of this is, all the people asking if BM is viable are not people in proper raiding guilds, I'm unsure why its always brought up in the answer (I've done it too, not attacking anyone).

It feels like the automated reply should be yes, because people asking if its viable obviously are not doing cutting edge content. You know BM doesn't work on Helya Mythic, if you're progressing her now and if you aren't the answer of that question really does not matter.

Hell, if you've got 2 of the same class and only 1 spot, the guy with the better DPS legendaries will be invited, such is the state of cutting edge raiding. Warlocks and SPs probably know this best of all, got a Prydaz instead of a proper dps leg? Welcome Team Bench. Assuming the others got the DPS legs
    Last edited by mmoc96f3bf9e48; 2016-12-04 at 02:14 PM.