Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Lol @ "what's the point of voting."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    It is truly a joke. How is it a democracy when the decision made by majority of the people doesn't count?
    Because it's not a direct democracy... just as the founding fathers intended.

L2differentformsofgovernment.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

I dont get why people dont look up stuff like this. You really think all that doom and gloom and never once thought to educate yourself on it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6s7jB6-GoU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    The solutions to these problems aren't easy or small though.

- - - Updated - - -

Then it sounds to me like Electoral Votes don't even anything out at all. Bigger states still have more voting power. Why would popular vote be worse than that? What am I missing?
    Its a compromise just like how congress works. The point of the EC is not to make all states have the same voting power just to help balance it. Big states still have power but smaller states can tip the balance and you cant win without getting some of them.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2016-12-04 at 10:39 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Listrata View Post
    More population has deminishing returns on electoral college points. Pure popuation vote would cause entire states to be out voted by califoria alone. (If hypothetically california voted all one way)

Using just Sweden instead of all of Europe is more like a state race electing it's governor.
    Yeah I'm still kind of amazed that the US is a country and not smaller countries or single states.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I'm european so I don't have any personal experience, but from outside point of view it seems to me that US voting is just a show they put up to pretend democracy.
    Most countries, particularly in Europe, have a parliamentary system. In such a system, the winner of the popular vote also isn't the real winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The US is a Republic not a Democracy.
    I know, it's hard to fathom that we molded after Rome... even considering the eagle is our symbol... or "to the Republic for which it stands."
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

Seeing as how the popular vote doesn't count for anything and electoral votes is what wins someone the presidency, what's the point of anyone voting? What's the point of trying to recount votes when it doesn't matter how many votes someone got?

Why do you even need to go vote at all when it's already decided by others you have no control over? Am I missing something?
    Voting in the US is suppose to be done on the state level. Most laws were intended to follow the constitution, but be decided by the state. A lot of laws still are. Marijuana laws, gay marriage laws, gun laws, a lot of laws really. So the point of voting is to vote with and in your state to ensure your state has the right to maintain and run itself. States should have more rights, but the feds have taken them over and thus the Electoral College's purpose starts to dwindle.
    For example, in Washington state we just passed a law that enabled families of a gun owner to request he be stripped of his rights momentarily if he seemed either mentally unstable or excessively violent.
    Last edited by Thrive; 2016-12-04 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any way this has been proven? I mean that electoral votes give smaller states more power than a popular vote would.

See this is why I want to discuss this stuff with actual people. I get actual points of view on something so I can get a broader understanding.
    They get more EC votes than their population warrants.

The US is voting for a Head of State, Sweden has thst role split between a monarch and a Prime Minister, if Sweden works the same as the UK system then you don't vote directly for either - no vote at all for the monarch and the Prime Minister is chosen by the ruling party.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm still kind of amazed that the US is a country and not smaller countries or single states.
    That's the key to understanding the electoral college.
    Sweden doesn't want to be ruled by what Germany and Turkey wants. But in the Europe as a country analogy. Sweden would be at their mercy. Sweden would represent what is a state in the U.S. With it's own culture, economy, and beliefs in how it should govern itself. But your new over reaching leader elected by more populous countries (states) have now decided how you should educate your people, feed your people and tax your people.

Edit:
    Should Sweden have less of a say in that country because it has less people?
    Last edited by Listrata; 2016-12-04 at 10:39 AM.

Down ballot is the point.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    How would putting Clinton in be doing the right thing?
    Forgive them, they weren't paying attention when the electoral college system was being explained in 6th grade civics. This is all coming as quite a shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    A few states tried to do that once but the other states said NO. They even had a war about it but most people play it off as a war about slavery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I also don't get how you can call it a democracy when only 2 candidates (out of ...) compete in the race. The other candidates have little to no media coverage and we all know, that the media is the factor which decides the winner. Furthermore most people who don't like candidate A don't even think about voting for candidate C, D or E... you HAVE TO vote for B.

That's very wrong. A simple solution (give 2 points for your main choice and 1 point for the 2nd choice) would cope with at least that problem.
    They used to give the position of vice president to the candidate with the second most votes. There might only be two major parties in the US but most ideas are generally embraced by one party or the other. So people usually just pick what is most important to them and then side with the party that agrees and just go along with whatever else the party is currently accepting. It is a lot like other multiparty countries that need a number of parties to make up a majority. And as others have pointed out it isn't a true democracy more like a representative democracy or a federal republic. Everyone does get to vote for the President of the United States but I don't get to vote for Supreme Court Justices (that decide how to apply laws) or most of the congressmen and representatives who make the laws I am required to follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're a union of states. While, yes, smaller population states don't have as much power as, say, California, any candidate needs a mixture of those smaller and larger states to have a hope to win, because you can't win on California alone.

- - - Updated - - -

I also don't get how you can call it a democracy when only 2 candidates (out of ...) compete in the race. The other candidates have little to no media coverage and we all know, that the media is the factor which decides the winner. Furthermore most people who don't like candidate A don't even think about voting for candidate C, D or E... you HAVE TO vote for B.

That's very wrong. A simple solution (give 2 points for your main choice and 1 point for the 2nd choice) would cope with at least that problem.
    There were 12 candidates on the ballot in my state. Other candidates run, but if they don't bother to get on the ballot in other states...
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Well the EC has been around since the birth of the nation and the democrats and republicans were actually backwards back then...
    literally in 2012.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Kindergarten class vote:
    I like blue lolly pops and you like green lolly pops. You can vote if you like blue, green, red or yellow. Our class of 35 this year voted they like blue but two other classes with 20 kids each voted for red. 1 voted for green or yellow in all three classes . Over all red was voted for and the blue classroom had to stomach red lolly pops. But so yellow and green voters didn't feel left out we gave them red lolly pops taped to certificates of participation for thier effort. And maybe a smiley stamp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly would love to see a Jungle Primary instead of the party-based primary system we have right now, but...
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    It is truly a joke. How is it a democracy when the decision made by majority of the people doesn't count?
    And yet, they try to spread that kind of "democracy" to every part of the world.
    Fuck yeah.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    And yet, they try to spread that kind of "democracy" to every part of the world.
    Fuck yeah.
    "That kind of democracy" is within each state. The collection of our 50 separate democratic states makes up a republic for which representation is given in a capitol to represent a nation. Hense the u.s. is a democratic republic.
    If the newly formed democratic counties joined together for common gains they also would become a democratic republic.

Edit:
    There are other forms of group democracies.
    Last edited by Listrata; 2016-12-04 at 11:40 AM.

This was never a problem until killary lost i guess, only california i guess thats gutted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I honestly would love to see a Jungle Primary instead of the party-based primary system we have right now, but...
    I dont understand the appeal of this solution. I mean it either ends up as usual, that is to say one rep and one dem, or just two candidates of the same party, which results in voters of the other party not even bothering to vote (and really why should they?) as has happened for example in Senate elections in California this year which had a noticeably lower turnout than the presidential election.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.