Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Never has there been free epics like Molten core in vanilla
    An entire 2 per boss in a 40 player raid isn't a lot though is it...

tbc had many grinds, rep grind, attunment grind, grind for flying mount,grind for mats.

alot of ppl dont remember it anymore.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    You probably mean guildox, used wowjutsu back then though.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080204...d/index12.html
    Aaaah yes, that's it
    This is about 6 weeks before Sunwell was released. Ok I was wrong calling it a massive problem, but clearing Black Temple wasn't that uncommon for regular raiders if you check the numbers with well over thousand guilds. It also pales in comparison to what happened with ICC, DS, SoO or HFC, but at the time this was a new issue.
    One thousand guilds at the time the game had 11,5 millions subscribers ? Yes, that was that uncommon, even for regular raiders
    I mean, I don't blame Blizzard for having released Sunwell (I much, much preferred Vanilla's design about linear progression, even if it meant I never could enjoy Naxx or AQ40 or Sunwell back in the days), but the "content drought" simply, on the scale of the game, never happened. What happened is that something like 1 % of the players had to twiddle their thumbs, while everyone else had a huge amount of content left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    you forgot the start of the use of the term "welfare epic" especially from crafting (materials being much more available than stuff from Vanilla)
    Upgrading them was a bitch though.. I remember our warrior trying to do that and practically having better weapons by the time we had the mats for that. But, yeah people were bitching about that from the start as well. Crafting something decent, god forbid!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Upgrading them was a bitch though.. I remember our warrior trying to do that and practically having better weapons by the time we had the mats for that. But, yeah people were bitching about that from the start as well. Crafting something decent, god forbid!
    the weapons were one matter yeah, but more talking about for example the cloth head and shoulder (I think it was shoulder) set, they weren't that hard to craft and that in the specific you didn't need to change it until you reached BT, it was that powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    The masses on your server couldn't manage Kara or Gruul?
    As I said earlier, as far as I recall, no guilds on my server cleared 25-man content beyond Gruul and Magtheridon while it was current.

Obviously everyone did Kara, because it was 10-man and it was easy. Everyone killed Gruul because there was only one thing to learn, spreading out for the shatter. Magtheridon was harder but the guilds that had been active in vanilla killed him.

After that - and "that" was three 25-man bosses - brick wall. All the guilds that had been active in vanilla fell apart after maybe killing Void Reaver, Lurker Below and Hydross.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I haven't been on this forum much during TBC so I must've missed out any complaint that this expansion had. And so far every other expansion has had plenty of them. Thinking back I don't think it received a lot of criticism from my POV, the only thing being all the lore changes like the draenei retcon and how poorly they've written WC3 characters. But TBC improved over a lot of things like the gameplay and more fluid questing, and I don't remember people craving to go back to vanilla WoW so badly.

So what more did I more did i miss during this period?
    The Inbalance of Holy Paladin In PvP,

Some cowards who wanted easy content complained dungeons were too hard, lol... casuals, we had those back then.

Gear wasn't easy to get, that's a lie. Unless you spammed dungeons with friends for weeks on end, It wasn't easy. After that point It was, but It felt more rewarding to get certain gear upgrades.

Elemental Resistance Gear

Attunements to larger raids, Karazhan wasn't that hard, stop complaining.

The Story was... odd to say the least, like Illidan they're only just now trying to connect the dots, why did we kill him? Why did the Naaru themselves spearhead the attack on him, despite knowing he's "The Chosen One"? No sense at all back then, not now. He'll be the Kerrigan of Warcraft I can just see It
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Deleted
    Jaaaaaaaaaaaas

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    As I said earlier, as far as I recall, no guilds on my server cleared 25-man content beyond Gruul and Magtheridon while it was current.

Obviously everyone did Kara, because it was 10-man and it was easy. Everyone killed Gruul because there was only one thing to learn, spreading out for the shatter. Magtheridon was harder but the guilds that had been active in vanilla killed him.

After that - and "that" was three 25-man bosses - brick wall. All the guilds that had been active in vanilla fell apart after maybe killing Void Reaver, Lurker Below and Hydross.
    Thats more a testament to your server being bad I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yeah, good thing Blizzard learned from this and made crafting so much better in Leg... err... wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yeah, good thing Blizzard learned from this and made crafting so much better in Leg... err... wait...
    They killed crafting back in WotlK, no point in complaining about legion. Heck one could argue that it was already pointless in Black Temple. Crafting is an empty husk since May 07 and has been steadily decling ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    Overall though I think people complained less. Gamers today feel more entitled for sure.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with "feeling entitled", if that's code for putting your own desires first.

Players eventually figured out that you have to Look Out for #1. Not complaining when you aren't happy is just being a sap. Why should anyone put up with shit they don't like?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the complaints were good constructive criticisms that were later addressed. My biggest complaint was repetitive dungeon runs for rep grinding. I ran shadow lab so many times to get LC exalted for that dang caster mace. The reputation tabards in LK were a solid response to that issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Free epics was a big one and one people have definitely forgotten
    What "free epics"? The PvP purples that required you to grind dozens or hundreds of battlegrounds, emphasizing your personal effort more than anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Shattered halls was basically a nightmare for Warrior tanks, I believe either Arcatraz or Mechnar was universally hated, the beginning of the casual-crying babies began with attunements, and Karazhan was considered more of a chore than the rose-tinted glasses Candy land that most people present it as. There's probably more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head
    Mechanar was cakewalk, ot was arch that no one ran except for kara attunement

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    What "free epics"? The PvP purples that required you to grind dozens or hundreds of battlegrounds, emphasizing your personal effort more than anything?
    The arena epics you got for losing ten matches a week (and then dissolving/reforming your arena team to reset its rating.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

You mean use a bot?
    And you could get the higher ilvl weapons/gear from losing 10 games a week. Well at least until they put the rating req on s3 weapons, anyway

No, the PvP purples that required you to do 10 arenas a week.

I think it was more a difference in player attitude back then compared to know. People didn't expect Bliz to bow down to their whines and cries the way they do now or prob ever since Cata. Back then people respected the job Bliz was doing and were for the most part still happy with how the game was changing and maturing and some of the small quality of life changes that were still occurring in the game. I really feel that Cata's release following the year+ of icc(not counting the mini raid) was the game changer in the community's mindset. After that bitching about Bliz became more vocal and people were starting to really question their direction with everything they did. To where once MoP was announced you had so many people butthurt just over the fact it was including Pandas and even over the name they chose. From then on its been a constant non stop bitch fest about everything. Cynicism has become prevalent which is due to both burnout I think and due to many choices Bliz has made since wotlk.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2016-12-04 at 05:24 PM.

Deleted
    Lest we forget the reputation requirement to enter heroics. IIRC it started out requiring revered to buy the damn keys (it was eventually nerfed down to honoured), so most players were forced to run normal dungeons repeatedly, even if they didn't actually need anything from them, simply because they had done the associated zone quests while levelling.
    Last edited by mmoc45ca6388df; 2016-12-04 at 05:33 PM.