Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynny View Post
    So should the teens who harassed and defrauded this girl be held accountable for their actions, or is the girl who killed herself the only one who should be held responsible for what she did?
    The teens who harassed her should be charged with harassment (or perhaps even an up-scaled version that includes some sort of assault). But ultimately, she is responsible for her own death.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    These are the people who are the biggest problem: Those who don't give a fuck. You guys right here are the problem. You can't 'grow thicker skin' against day in day out bullying. You just can't. You probably did it yourselves and are trying to justify it.

Bullies should be removed from society and put into internment camps to learn how to treat other people. Bullies are also the people who turn into criminals in a later stage of their lives.
    Clearly, "growing thicker skin" isn't the only solution. But internment camps for people who hurt others "feels"? That's retarded. Yes, people should be taught to not bully others and yes, bullies should held accountable (via harassment laws). But people also have to at least try not be excessively oversensitive pansies. And the only thing I did every day was "grow thicker skin". Right up until I was big enough to fight back. Because when I was growing up, "bullying" included getting the shit beat out of you along with the verbal assault.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Holding mental anguish to a lower standard than physical anguish is part of the problem in the world today.
    I mean, you can make legitimate arguments for what you're trying to say if you compare something like daily verbal abuse to a getting slapped once in awhile. But when comparing cases of equal severity, physical abuse will always be more serious because the victim has no control over physical pain. They can, however, mitigate their own "mental anguish", at least to some degree. It's a bit of an absurd analogy, but it's like comparing "assault with deadly words" to "assault with a deadly weapon". You can ignore the words.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-12-04 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The teens who harassed her should be charged with harassment (or perhaps even an up-scaled version that includes some sort of assault). But ultimately, she is responsible for her own death.

Clearly, "growing thicker skin" isn't the only solution. But internment camps for people who hurt others "feels"? That's retarded. Yes, people should be taught to not bully others and yes, bullies should held accountable (via harassment laws). But people also have to at least try not be excessively oversensitive pansies. And the only thing I did every day was "grow thicker skin". Right up until I was big enough to fight back. Because when I was growing up, "bullying" included getting the shit beat out of you along with the verbal assault.

I mean, you can make legitimate arguments for what you're trying to say if you compare something like daily verbal abuse to a getting slapped once in awhile. But when comparing cases of equal severity, physical abuse will always be more serious because the victim has no control over physical pain. They can, however, mitigate their own "mental anguish", at least to some degree. It's a bit of an absurd analogy, but it's like comparing "assault with deadly words" to "assault with a deadly weapon". You can ignore the words.
    So alot of people with mental illness can't "mitigate" mental anguish. Bipolar patients are some people like that.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    These are the people who are the biggest problem: Those who don't give a fuck. You guys right here are the problem. You can't 'grow thicker skin' against day in day out bullying. You just can't. You probably did it yourselves and are trying to justify it. Bullies should be removed from society and put into internment camps to learn how to treat other people. Bullies are also the people who turn into criminals in a later stage of their lives.
    Of course you can. I dealt with bullying on a near daily basis for 5 school years before I finally dropped the hammer and laid someone out in school. Kids these days need to understand that the best self defense from bullying is by putting the bullies in their places. When people talked down to me, I did my best to ignore it. The breaking point was when two bullies from my school started to follow me home after school. Eventually I just wound up getting into a fight with one of them at school in front of the rest of my classmates and beat the guy up. 1v1 it's a fair fight, that often wasn't the case. After that I challenged anyone to fight me one on one and they all backed down, they were afraid that I would severely hurt them. By that point I was also highly proficient in martial arts, including disarming weapons and how to do things like break elbows, dislocate shoulders and shatter kneecaps. Eventually kids left me alone and the last year of elementary school was fun and easy, maybe because so many of the little shit heads in my class grew up too. Didn't have any bullying problems until I made one guys face bleed in the middle of our schools hall way in the 9th grade. Amusingly that idiot was both a year older than me and about a half foot taller. Suffice to say I got one detention for beating his ass, he got suspended for a week.

What you do in this situation is sue the parents of the bullies into bankruptcy.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    So alot of people with mental illness can't "mitigate" mental anguish. Bipolar patients are some people like that.
    Clear it doesn't apply to everyone. Getting fists hurled will always be more serious than getting words hurled, at least to me. But then, I don't give a shit what other people say or think so my perspective is inherently a bit tilted. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/12/02/...family-reports

How Tragic! We must do something against cyberbullying. How many must die before we act?
    You should probably do your research about cyber-bullying laws before going off about how no one is doing anything.

http://cyberbullying.org/Bullying-an...lying-Laws.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    letting shit get to you just makes you weak and shows that you are a baby.
    The ignore list the 8 fools made it to isn't yours then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Holding mental anguish to a lower standard than physical anguish is part of the problem in the world today.
    It's actually the other way around. Too many people need to grow a thicker skin, grow up and start worrying about meaningful things.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's actually the other way around. Too many people need to grow a thicker skin, grow up and start worrying about meaningful things.
    I agree. and cancer patients should just grow thicker skin and stop being sick.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Of course you can. I dealt with bullying on a near daily basis for 5 school years before I finally dropped the hammer and laid someone out in school. Kids these days need to understand that the best self defense from bullying is by putting the bullies in their places. When people talked down to me, I did my best to ignore it. The breaking point was when two bullies from my school started to follow me home after school. Eventually I just wound up getting into a fight with one of them at school in front of the rest of my classmates and beat the guy up. 1v1 it's a fair fight, that often wasn't the case. After that I challenged anyone to fight me one on one and they all backed down, they were afraid that I would severely hurt them. By that point I was also highly proficient in martial arts, including disarming weapons and how to do things like break elbows, dislocate shoulders and shatter kneecaps. Eventually kids left me alone and the last year of elementary school was fun and easy, maybe because so many of the little shit heads in my class grew up too. Didn't have any bullying problems until I made one guys face bleed in the middle of our schools hall way in the 9th grade. Amusingly that idiot was both a year older than me and about a half foot taller. Suffice to say I got one detention for beating his ass, he got suspended for a week.
    Of course that's exactly how that all happened. Do you finish every anecdote with "needless to say, I had the last laugh"?

Seriously? Victim blaming much? Are all of you so ancient that you don't remember what it was like growing up - the emotions and the hormones and the hell that was the high school popularity maze? Even the smart, pretty, popular ones are nothing more than a morass of conflicting emotions below the surface. The more your flaws are pointed out to you, the worse they become.

While it is true that the BEST defense against cyberbullying is for parents to teach their children to be responsible, caring, empathetic human beings and to treat everyone else - even those they don't like - with basic respect, there's a ton of shitty parents out there. Take it from a teacher that sees it every day, there are WAY too many parents out there who either don't give a damn what their kids get up to or who turn a blind eye because "Billy would never so anything, he's perfect". We can't depend on everyone to teach their children how to act like decent human beings, so yes, there do need to be laws in place to punish the perpetrators - same as we have laws against things like robbery, assault, and murder.

And calling for kids to have "thicker skin"? You think it was bad when we were growing up, with the bullies picking on the "freaks" and "losers" in the halls at school? Now the bullying follows them home. It follows them to church, to the mall, to the movies. It follows them everywhere they can get a wi-fi signal. It extends beyond their school to the entire world every time some little entitled shithead spoofs their Facebook profile to look like they offer free sexual favors or posts their phone number, email, or address online.

We call it Cyberbullying now. It used to be called Gaslighting. It's recognized as mental and emotional abuse. We condemn adults who engage in the exact same way - why do kids get a pass? Actions have consequences. Teach them that young.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainyan View Post
    Seriously? Victim blaming much? Are all of you so ancient that you don't remember what it was like growing up - the emotions and the hormones and the hell that was the high school popularity maze? Even the smart, pretty, popular ones are nothing more than a morass of conflicting emotions below the surface. The more your flaws are pointed out to you, the worse they become.

While it is true that the BEST defense against cyberbullying is for parents to teach their children to be responsible, caring, empathetic human beings and to treat everyone else - even those they don't like - with basic respect, there's a ton of shitty parents out there. Take it from a teacher that sees it every day, there are WAY too many parents out there who either don't give a damn what their kids get up to or who turn a blind eye because "Billy would never so anything, he's perfect". We can't depend on everyone to teach their children how to act like decent human beings, so yes, there do need to be laws in place to punish the perpetrators - same as we have laws against things like robbery, assault, and murder.

And calling for kids to have "thicker skin"? You think it was bad when we were growing up, with the bullies picking on the "freaks" and "losers" in the halls at school? Now the bullying follows them home. It follows them to church, to the mall, to the movies. It follows them everywhere they can get a wi-fi signal. It extends beyond their school to the entire world every time some little entitled shithead spoofs their Facebook profile to look like they offer free sexual favors or posts their phone number, email, or address online.

We call it Cyberbullying now. It used to be called Gaslighting. It's recognized as mental and emotional abuse. We condemn adults who engage in the exact same way - why do kids get a pass? Actions have consequences. Teach them that young.
    Exactly what this guy said.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Good for her made something outta her death.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

i am shocked at the amount of jerks in here.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    i am shocked at the amount of jerks in here.
    Is this your first time in off topic?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Is this your first time in off topic?
    no. but i guess i expected too much of people on this topic.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    no. but i guess i expected too much of people on this topic.
    Well, internet tough guys and anonymity make the hot-take world go 'round.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    The ignore list the 8 fools made it to isn't yours then?
    Those people are either trolls or shit posters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those people are either trolls or shit posters.
    Pretty ironic

the courts and the justice system needs to crack down on these criminals thats all that needs to happen