Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year

CPU Running Really Hot?

So right now I dont have a CPU fan, because I was told as long as I was not OC'ing I shouldnt need a CPU Fan.

I downloaded and ran Speccy and noticed my CPU was runing almost 100C. And the thing is....I have nothing opened yet. Just literally setting this up, installing drivers and shit. Getting ready to install my GPU since it just arrived in the mail but im not sure if that has anything to do with CPU temp. Also, the CPU is only like 10% utilized...

Here is a screenshot of the tempature with utilization:

Can anyone help? I got a mini case, so if I need a CPU Fan, it might have to be a smaller one if anyone can recommend

Well at those temps you are going to fry your computer. Whoever told you you don't need some sort of heat control gave you some very bad advice.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Well at those temps you are going to fry your computer. Whoever told you you don't need some sort of heat control gave you some very bad advice.
    Yeah thats what Im worried about is frying it. Im goign to speed up the CPU fan, and if i have room use my old one form my old computer for now. Any idea for a cheap CPU cooler? Why would it run this hot? In prebuilt computers they dont have a cpu cooler like this and dont run this hot with normal use...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you aren't overclocking you don't need an aftermarket cooler. You still need the stock cooler on there.... You know, the heatsink and fan that were packaged with the CPU.
    It just came with the basic CPU. Didnt come with any form of heatsink...

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you toss the stock cooler?

They all come with one...
    Not that I'm aware... It just came in a box a few inches by a few inches and it was just the CPU when I opened it. Came in an i5 box? Let me see if i can find the link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10+ Year Old Account

Not true for more recent intel K chips, assumption being everyone that gets one overclocks and gets an aftermarket cooler anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mistake, they stopped packaging coolers with unlocked cpus because you shouldn't waste the money on them unless you plan to OC. Guess you need to buy

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-GABRIEL

Or you could get the stock intel 1150 cooler for $10.
    I plan on gaming. Put a 1060 in it so I don't want to take chances with stock cooler. I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/?tag=pcpapi-20

Would that one be good? Or is the one above you posted good for long gaming sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    Yeah thats what Im worried about is frying it. Im goign to speed up the CPU fan, and if i have room use my old one form my old computer for now. Any idea for a cheap CPU cooler? Why would it run this hot? In prebuilt computers they dont have a cpu cooler like this and dont run this hot with normal use...
    My computer was running pretty hot also, at around 65-70C. My computer would overheat and just shut down when it approached higher than that.

We took the CPU fan and heatsink out and installed a new ( and bigger) one, and it runs at 42-45C now.

The one I got was the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO" - got it on amazon for less than 30 bucks I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    I plan on gaming. Put a 1060 in it so I don't want to take chances with stock cooler. I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/?tag=pcpapi-20

Would that one be good? Or is the one above you posted good for long gaming sessions?
    That should be fine, coolermaster hyper 212 evo is another good option which is 30$ right now (20$ on sale).

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    My computer was running pretty hot also, at around 65-70C. My computer would overheat and just shut down when it approached higher than that.

We took the CPU fan and heatsink out and installed a new ( and bigger) one, and it runs at 42-45C now.

The one I got was the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO" - got it on amazon for less than 30 bucks I believe.
    He had no cooler installed.

Don't plan on doing anything until you get a cooler on that thing.

I love my cooler master. The one above will work, mine will work... anything you can find at your local anywhere will work. Until then, get off the computer :P

Target like $30 ballpark. Anything that will fit. (didn't see you said size was a consideration, CM is a bit big). Just go get something.

edit: Don't forget thermal paste, or make sure it comes with something.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2016-12-03 at 12:18 AM.

Yeah keep your PC powered off until you get a cpu cooler who ever said you dont need a cooler for your cpu is not all that bright.
    And you should prob not take computer advice from him / her again tho i must say im surprised it would even let you boot.
    Without shutting down to prevent damage from overheating just get any cpu cooler ASAP before the computer burns it self out.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it will fit, I went with something small because you said form factor was a consideration.
    I mean inhav a decent amount of room. I'm just not sure on connections? Maybe you could help me out; or people here could.

That's how much room I have in th case. It's a mini case. Would the CPU Cooler I linked above fit and attach?

EDIT: Here's the attachment points for the cooler zoomed in:

Also don't mind th cabling yet. Had to remove Velcro and all that to fit stuff in so it's messy at the moment haha
    Last edited by Demindar; 2016-12-03 at 12:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the coolers being discussed will fit that pattern(your picture doesn't help unless you're trying to show someone where to mount a cooler). The question is if you can put it on there and still close the case. Some coolers are pretty tall and, since you said you had a mini case(which isn't what that is), I went with something with a very low rise.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was the case I got. It still has a good amount of clearance in i. I ordered your fan as well just incase mine didnt fit! Thank youf or all the help, seriously. Youre a god

mine just came with the cpu itself. i had to buy an aftermarket cooler for it. which i was going to do anyway, so it all worked out.

Thank you for sharing this helpful information.

And this people is why some should not be building their own PC's lol. Just be grateful you didn't melt your CPU down.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy is rlly running i5 skylake without any cooler? just wow. Didnt even know this is possible. You should get some until that I would not even turn that PC on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    And this people is why some should not be building their own PC's lol. Just be grateful you didn't melt your CPU down.
    Everyone can build a PC, but you do need SOME common sense. A youtube guide should be sufficient, nothing at all is silly if you've not done much in terms of PC building.

i'm sure this is probably not the first time someone has ever done this, but wow. lucky thing cpus are somewhat more resilient these days and shut themselves off before anything too awful happens.. as long as you haven't been using it like that too much :/

it looks kinda burny.. but idk maybe its just a weird effect when you took a photo? give it a clean before installing a cooler. uh just don't squirt windex/bleach on it and scrub with water.. little isopropyl alcohol on a microfibre cloth'll do ya

Quote Originally Posted by RaZz0r View Post
    Yeah keep your PC powered off until you get a cpu cooler who ever said you dont need a cooler for your cpu is not all that bright.
    And you should prob not take computer advice from him / her again tho i must say im surprised it would even let you boot.
    Without shutting down to prevent damage from overheating just get any cpu cooler ASAP before the computer burns it self out.
    I always figured the board wouldn't let you boot without a fan plugged into the CPU header...