Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Yeah they were worried it would contaminate the water being so close to the municipal water supplies. Much like the Sioux Tribe was worried about it being near the reservation’s water intake valves. weird.
    Do you even know where the water intakes you are talking about are? That information is publicly available.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think that there are potential adverse effects on Native land that is used for subsistence purposes, such as the quality of drinking water and disruption of local ecosystems, whether the pipeline is built *on* Native land or *right next* to Native land. That is completely ignoring the effect of tar sands oil excavation on the environment.
    There is no such thing as Native Americans. They do not exist and never did.
    PROUD TO BE CALLED A CONSPIRACY THEORIST

It's a deescalation tactic. Next year it will be finished when everyone goes home. Trump will give the indians what they have really wanted the entire time and that's money for every million/billion gallon that passes through the pipe over the reservation.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-12-05 at 05:43 AM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    "North Dakota's sole member in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Cramer, a Republican, expressed his disapproval in a scathing statement released Sunday that slammed President Barack Obama as well as the protestors."

What I don't really understand is why Republicans and business wants to build pipelines from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico when they could just build refineries in North Dakota. I would think that the number of jobs from refineries that operate all the time would be greater than the few jobs needed to build the pipeline that will be gone after it is done. With the time it has taken to try to get the pipelines approved, they probably could have built several refineries. You also wouldn't have to worry about supply problems caused by hurricanes.
    Because it's still cheaper to ship it overseas to China and have them refine it.

The fact of the matter is, they don't care about jobs for Americans, they care about profits. Money grubbing assholes the lot of them.

20 miles from what I could find, which if downstream from the pipeline would be to close for me.
    They have another 75 miles away also that will be used when the pipe is finished.

10+ Year Old Account
    20 miles from what I could find, which if downstream from the pipeline would be to close for me.
    Now check the water intake for Bismarck, and while you are at it, did you notice that the current intake for the reservation is being closed (not related to this) and moved further downstream, perhaps you can find the information on that.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    My understanding was that the company had claimed that any furthrr delays would effectively shut the project down as their various contracts with suppliers would.be in jeopardy due to the delays. At least thats what they argued in court.
    We can only hope. Running their pipeline underneath the Missouri River could cause catastrophic consequences if there were ever a leak in or near it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    We can only hope. Running their pipeline underneath the Missouri River could cause catastrophic consequences if there were ever a leak in or near it.
    Yeah just as much as the northern border pipe that has been there since the 80's and runs parallel to the DAPL pipe if people would stop crying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Yeah just as much as the northern border pipe that has been there since the 80's and runs parallel to the DAPL pipe if people would stop crying.
    You mean the natural gas pipe? The thing that is completely different from oil?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Didn't the USACE nix that route? It's hilarious to me that there is an existing natural gas pipeline that has been at the location of the protests for 33 years, crossing under the same river parallel to where DAPL was planned and there is no protest over that.
    Maybe because a 'natural gas leak' isn't going to be as dangerous as pouring literal oil into people's drinking water.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    ooh, we have a top contender for dumbest comment in the thread thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    In that case, there's no such thing as native anything-ans, except perhaps Native Africans, since we as a species originated from there.

It's also radically off topic.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe because a 'natural gas leak' isn't going to be as dangerous as pouring literal oil into people's drinking water.
    the transportation of natural gas is done in a liquid form, or were you not aware of that?

But I thought they were safe and so much better like flying vs driving??? I'm going to need some consistent talking points here.
    they are, but how do you dig under a metro area to place pipeline when there is already so much shit going on? why would you do that? you need talking points for common fucking sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    "North Dakota's sole member in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Cramer, a Republican, expressed his disapproval in a scathing statement released Sunday that slammed President Barack Obama as well as the protestors."

What I don't really understand is why Republicans and business wants to build pipelines from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico when they could just build refineries in North Dakota. I would think that the number of jobs from refineries that operate all the time would be greater than the few jobs needed to build the pipeline that will be gone after it is done. With the time it has taken to try to get the pipelines approved, they probably could have built several refineries. You also wouldn't have to worry about supply problems caused by hurricanes.
    Why do you think the refineries are in Texas? It is close to the gulf, so it can more easily be sent to port onto a ship.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    actually that is exactly what makes them amazing. its all math and mathematically pipes are better. its like flying vs driving, isnt flying AMAZING!
    i'd rather be in a not properly maintained car then in a not properly maintained airplane.

- - - Updated - - -

You are claiming a natural gas pipe leak is safer? rofl so uninformed

Lets also continue to ignore the fact it's going through sacred burial land and other land that the US admits is Sioux land and has 1.9 Billion dollars waiting for them if they wanted to sell it. Which they don't.
    source please

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    i'd rather be in a not properly maintained car then in a not properly maintained airplane.
    what does that have to do with flying is safer than driving... unless you mean you want oil transported by trucks instead of pipelines... which we already know is more of a ecosystem threat.

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize the proposed Bismark pipeline was actually above the city and not right through it? If it was safety wasn't a concern they wouldn't have needed to reroute it in the first place.
    no i had no idea cause that is about the dumbest plan ive heard of and it would definitely stick out. source this too.

ahh okay i get it, you think north of a city is thru it. damn idk what to say now

The U.S Army Corps of Engineers originally considered a Dakota Access Pipeline route north of Bismarck but abandoned the idea, citing the Bismarck route would have been 11 miles longer with more road crossings and waterbody and wetland crossings. It also would have been difficult to stay 500 or more feet away from homes, as required by the North Dakota Public Service Commission, the corps states.

The Bismarck route also would have crossed an area considered by federal pipeline regulators as a “high consequence area,” which is an area determined to have the most significant adverse consequences in the event of a pipeline spill.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2016-12-05 at 06:52 AM.

lol does this yahoo understand how the pipelines work? you really want usa to be less dependent on oil? and you're from canada? scratches head.

also thorium reactors are not a big deal, molten salt/liquid filled thorium is. gj canada though, we are impressed you are capable of being almost important in one area.
    There is no point in even discussing this, since there is no commercially viable thorium reactor in the whole world right now.

Deleted
    what does that have to do with flying is safer than driving... unless you mean you want oil transported by trucks instead of pipelines... which we already know is more of a ecosystem threat.

I don't know what it has to do with it. I assumed you knew because you quoted my post about poor pipeline maintenance and replied with that.