Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    I always figured the board wouldn't let you boot without a fan plugged into the CPU header...
    Some people use watercooling / fans that plug into molex connectors.
    So they'd need to plug any fan they could in then disable the "don't boot without a fan here" option before they could use their PC.

I have seen that option in older PC's though.

Heatspreader does look coloured in that pic though... Hopefully no damage done to CPU...

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    I always figured the board wouldn't let you boot without a fan plugged into the CPU header...
    most boards now assume the installer has a vague idea of what they're doin, so warnings about temp/fan speed/fan missing can be disabled in the bios. - you are right though, i definitely remember one of my old old motherboards refusing to boot with no cpu fan connected. gave a beep code and shut off

for example, my motherboard doesn't have many pwm headers, so i am actually using one of the cpu fan headers for a case fan that i stick at 900~rpm. on first boot with that config my motherboard was like "hey this cpu fan is spinning really slow," which is a warning i simply disabled.

we can only assume the motherboard was warning them about a low/no fan speed, and probably even abnormal temperatures.. but with the misinformation they had been given, they probably thought it safe to ignore it.

yeah that brown on the spreader is scary.. hopefully it cleans up enough to provide good transfer to the heatsink and all works well in future!

Deleted
    I wanted to advise the OP to try exchanging the thermal paste of the CPU-cooler,... then i realized he didn't have a cooler at all.

Advice: Don't turn it on untill you install one.

The stat you want to know about CPU coolers is the height, as that is most probably the one factor that will limit your choice the most.

Just another note from the pictures... I really hope you are going to plug in the graphics card....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    Just another note from the pictures... I really hope you are going to plug in the graphics card....
    Yeah...There's a 6 pin connector on your video card that you NEED to plug in dude.

Whoever was helping you is a fucking retard

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Yeah...There's a 6 pin connector on your video card that you NEED to plug in dude.

Whoever was helping you is a fucking retard
    Again... I thought systems will not boot without the power connected to the GPU lol.

Every CPU (unless they changed that) comes with a default fan. Small, noisy but at least effective if you don't OC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    Every CPU (unless they changed that) comes with a default fan. Small, noisy but at least effective if you don't OC.
    The newer 6600K and 6700K do not come with a stock CPU fan, largely because 9 out of 10 people who buy them get a 3rd party one anyway, so intel cut costs on it and removed them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

cpu without a cooler lel wut

Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    Not that I'm aware... It just came in a box a few inches by a few inches and it was just the CPU when I opened it. Came in an i5 box? Let me see if i can find the link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Seems this being an ''unlocked'' CPU, thus made for overcloocking it didn't come with a heatsink/fan combo because YOU DO NEED an aftermarket one for OCing.

Whoever told you that Skylakes don't need coolers was trolling you. Or you misunderstood what they were saying. Perhaps what they ment to say is that temperature is not a problem for Skylake processors (because it isn't under normal or even overclocked usage... Voltage is a bigger concern in this generation than heat). This generation of processor is very good at shedding excess heat.

However, you still need some kind of heat sink. You probably don't need a dedicated CPU fan, but at least get yourself some sort of heat sink and your chassis fans can do the rest. Of course, you won't be overclocking without a dedicated fan...

You can also try downclocking your CPU. It's unlocked, so that will be very easy to accomplish. Downclocking is basically the same thing as overclocking, except instead of dialing up the clock speed, you turn it down. Fewer cycles per second means less computing power and less heat.

There are several issues with the OP.

1. If you didn't want to overclock why did you buy a K type (unlocked) CPU?

2. Running a CPU without some kind of cooling is not much different than running a car without tyres. I hope now the OP has some idea of how much he got trolled.

Do NOT switch the computer on again until you install a CPU fan & heatsink. Also, do NOT install a CPU fan & heatsink without having applied TIM (Thermal Interface Material) on the CPU's shiny surface first.

A good TIM for starters is Arctic Silver 5. Apply the TIM in the middle of the shiny surface as a thin straight line. The TIM straight line should NOT reach the edges of the CPU. Do NOT apply too much.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Cable management have 0 effect on cooling!

Good thing that they have thermal protection safeguards on CPU eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Cable management have 0 effect on cooling!
    Depends on the cables

I've seen some cases that having actual airflow did help considerably.

Today's cases have quite a bit more room / less kit in them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    There are several issues with the OP.

1. If you didn't want to overclock why did you buy a K type (unlocked) CPU?

2. Running a CPU without some kind of cooling is not much different than running a car without tyres. I hope now the OP has some idea of how much he got trolled.

Do NOT switch the computer on again until you install a CPU fan & heatsink. Also, do NOT install a CPU fan & heatsink without having applied TIM (Thermal Interface Material) on the CPU's shiny surface first.

A good TIM for starters is Arctic Silver 5. Apply the TIM in the middle of the shiny surface as a thin straight line. The TIM straight line should NOT reach the edges of the CPU. Do NOT apply too much.
    I don't think he really got trolled. Many people just do not realize that the Skylake K series don't come with a stock cooler, so it is very likely someone told him, "If you are not Ocing, you don't need an aftermarket cooler, the one that comes with it is fine." To someone who has no idea what they are doing, if the chip they bought came with nothing, I can see how he would think he didn't need anything, as he was told he did not by someone who maybe didn't realize it doesn't come with anything. Easy enough mistake to make for someone who doesn't know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fizz View Post
    Depends on the cables

I've seen some cases that having actual airflow did help considerably.

Today's cases have quite a bit more room / less kit in them though.
    Watch Linus Tech Tips on cable management. They stuffed case with packing material and it had almost zero effect on temperature. When they stuffed case full with cables it had zero effect. So cable management is bullshit, it's only eye candy.

Dust is 100x more deadly than poor cable management.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Watch Linus Tech Tips on cable management. They stuffed case with packing material and it had almost zero effect on temperature. When they stuffed case full with cables it had zero effect. So cable management is bullshit, it's only eye candy.

Dust is 100x more deadly than poor cable management.
    We don't know what fans they were using for that video, if it was static pressure then the cooling performance would (probably) be much less affected. I don't honestly feel like sticking things into my PC to find out tho so. But no cable management is mostly for looks outside of dust. If you have bad cable management and the cables get dusty then you'll have more issues. But even then it'd be to be QUITE dusty to matter.