Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

I don't understand why Blizzard are dragging their heels regarding player housing...

As title says I don't understand why Blizzard are dragging their heels regarding player housing... Wildstar despite its many flaws possibly had the best player housing in any MMORPG, hell even WoWs biggest competitors FFXIV and SWTOR has player housing and that's almost universally praised by the players. Instead Blizzard gave us two poor-man's housing in the form of garrisons and class halls that didn't give much if any customization and get abandoned. Player housing could actually be an expansion feature designed to last unlike the garrison, class hall and artifacts that are obsolete a year later.

I find the argument "we don't want people not in the world" argument BS. I would rather a personal hub I can invite friends to, not some class hall surrounded by strangers not even talking! I also don't believe the "WoW doesn't have the technology" argument. Obviously some people aren't interested in player housing like some people aren't interested in PvP or Raiding but it would give us a new form of content to do at endgame be it crafting decor, running dungeons for decor, buying decor, etc!

Deleted
    If Wildstar's player housing is an example of player housing done right, then I really don't think Blizzard should bother with it. Sure it had plenty of customization options, but in the end it served little to no purpose and I lost interest in it within a week.

I'd much prefer a guild hall so I can stumble across my fellow guild mates and friends instead of another Garrison 2.0 where you spend your time in your own personal instance.

Because the engine is super old. I am sure they'd rather do a project of such magnitude in a newer game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    Because the engine is super old. I am sure they'd rather do a project of such magnitude in a newer game.
    Engine has nothing to do with it. There was a really really basic version in the Alpha of Vanilla. I imagine had they gone forward with it then they would have expanded upon it. To be honest even if they do it I see them fucking it up some way or somehow making us stay in there all the time like Garrisons.

Like I said. Extremely basic but could probably have been expanded upon.

Deleted
    Player housing or a raid tier? I know what I would pick, and I'm not even a raider..

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Player housing or a raid tier? I know what I would pick, and I'm not even a raider..
    That joke is really old and redundant now to be honest.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Instanced Guild halls should've been a thing in vanilla and TBC before all the cross-realm & CRZ bs. Maybe a set building(instance portal door) chosen in 1 of the city capitals so you have 3-4 choices per faction.

I started on an RP server in vanilla and even back then before launch we discussed guild/player housing but it never came.

Freely building in the world simply can't work in a world with limited space.

And even if you could choose multiple set locations (outside of faction/neutral main cities) to place a guild hall building it'd be a weird concept, most of the old expansions aren't used for lvl 110 content these days so why would you want to be out there?
    Last edited by Teri; 2016-12-05 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix View Post
    If Wildstar's player housing is an example of player housing done right, then I really don't think Blizzard should bother with it. Sure it had plenty of customization options, but in the end it served little to no purpose and I lost interest in it within a week.

I'd much prefer a guild hall so I can stumble across my fellow guild mates and friends instead of another Garrison 2.0 where you spend your time in your own personal instance.
    You can't invite friends to your class hall unless they're the same class... Besides if you don't want it don't use it Player housing has more pros than cons

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    You would get both...

Why do people CONSTANTLY compare WoW and the things in WoW, to other games...sure similar genre, but other than that they are vastly different in many ways.

Player housing works for other games, other games also have a different player base. PLayer housing in WOW is a dumb idea, that is why they say little about it.

It gets old fast and likely a VERY small % of players would ever use it beyond a week or 2. There is little to no reason to spend resources on something the developers do not consider a fit for WoW. WoW does not need player housing, it has done just fine without it. Other games that do have it, have a VERY VERY small player base in relation to WoW, and likely an even smaller % of those players actually use it.

People need to stop comparing things in other games to what WoW has. They are not the same game. WoW is, and will continue to be the most successful online game ever for some time in the future contrary to the "sky is falling" crowd every patch and expansion. Why do they need to use features that other games use? They used something that one of their other games have and people lost their minds over it. (mythic+/D3 rifts)

tl/dr just because some games with a miniscule player base have had success with it, does not mean that WoW needs it. We need CONTENT, things to do, things to kill, gear to get..we DON'T need a phased player housing area.

Quote Originally Posted by 4dahorde View Post
    Why do people CONSTANTLY compare WoW and the things in WoW, to other games...sure similar genre, but other than that they are vastly different in many ways.

Player housing works for other games, other games also have a different player base. PLayer housing in WOW is a dumb idea, that is why they say little about it.

It gets old fast and likely a VERY small % of players would ever use it beyond a week or 2. There is little to no reason to spend resources on something the developers do not consider a fit for WoW. WoW does not need player housing, it has done just fine without it. Other games that do have it, have a VERY VERY small player base in relation to WoW, and likely an even smaller % of those players actually use it.

People need to stop comparing things in other games to what WoW has. They are not the same game. WoW is, and will continue to be the most successful online game ever for some time in the future contrary to the "sky is falling" crowd every patch and expansion. Why do they need to use features that other games use? They used something that one of their other games have and people lost their minds over it. (mythic+/D3 rifts)

tl/dr just because some games with a miniscule player base have had success with it, does not mean that WoW needs it. We need CONTENT, things to do, things to kill, gear to get..we DON'T need a phased player housing area.
    Player housing works in other games because it doesn't force you to go to it. Blizzard made the Garrisons in WoD to try and shut players up about it and look at how that went when they tied Legendary quests towards it or free epics. Player housing would do fine in WoW as long as it doesn't put shit like the mission table or other crap in there and make it purely side content. Also housing wouldn't be a core system. What they used from D3 they made core systems along with the shitty RNGfest that was adopted from Ancient Legendaries.

I'd love for them personally to adopt a system similar to Rift or Wildstar. They arguably had the best housing of any MMO despite their other flaws.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-12-05 at 03:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dahorde View Post

FFXIV doesn't have miniscule numbers and we don't know what SWTOR numbers are now. What evidence do you have only a tiny % would use it? A tiny % did Mythic in WoD yet Mythic is almost 70% end game. WoWs numbers are dropping whilst the competition is growing

Why don't you just go claim one of the empty houses out in the world as your "home", wow really doesn't need personal instanced housing. If you want to do this crap go play skyrim with the house add on.

10+ Year Old Account
    They tried it, with Garrisons. I'd argue they were quite a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Pretty much this. After Garrisons I have a complete lack of faith in their ability to do player housing properly despite me wanting it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Garrison wasn't player housing, it offered zero customization which is the selling point of housing, Garrison was just a profession hub

Because you grossly overestimate interest in this useless feature. Can you name ONE MMO that is not completely about building (Minecraft, Second Life - I don't know them) where people would waste time going around looking at somebody else's houses without any incentive like gameplay bonuses? How many players (in %) tend to Pandaria farm? How many players even VISIT their Garrisons once per week, not to say do there anything? There's your answer.

I've seen houses in RIFT - chore. I've seen building in single player in FO4 - I don't give a fuck. Once initial obsession over them washed and I understood that I can't get from them anything but the materials for more building - I never visited any of my outposts again. Majority is like me.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Garrison wasn't player housing, it offered zero customization which is the selling point of housing, Garrison was just a profession hub
    The idea behind them was to be a form of it though. They fucked up massively though by putting free epics in there, having zero customisation as you said, putting legendary quest shit behind there and offering no real incentive to go out into the world during WoD.

Because player housing is absolutely uninteresting and not worth the effort and ressources. Class halls are the way better option, as were the garrisons.

i would personally say no to player housing as a personal thing (even if you could invite people....)

but the thing i would be open to is a form of guild hall in the vein of class halls

They're not dragging their feet. They have no plans whatsoever to do it, and Garrisons likely reinforced their opinion on that.

For that matter, it wouldn't make much sense in the story anyway. We're pretty much constantly running from one continent to another, a permanent house would just be impractical.