Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Pretty sure the New York Giants wouldn't have two Super Bowl rings from the last decade if the mentality is what you're describing here. Teams and players get more intense during the playoffs, and they drive to win it all.
    The whole season is the playoffs in NCAA, we want that mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Washington are in. They got it right.
    No they didn't. Penn State should be in over Ohio State. Ohio State lost to Penn State, and Penn State won the conference. I hope the Big 12 shits down the NCAA's throat over this, since TCU/Baylor was denied a couple years ago, because the Big 12 didn't have a championship game. Now the committee went back on their words, and basically said it doesn't matter if you win your conference or not.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    No they didn't. Penn State should be in over Ohio State. Ohio State lost to Penn State, and Penn State won the conference. I hope the Big 12 shits down the NCAA's throat over this, since TCU/Baylor was denied a couple years ago, because the Big 12 didn't have a championship game. Now the committee went back on their words, and basically said it doesn't matter if you win your conference or not.
    Too bad the Big 12 can't put together a team with a decent record and resume most years and last year OU got in and got completely exposed; they're not really in a position to "shit down" anyone's throat. PSU *won* the B10 conference due to a poorly thought out system of selecting conference title representatives, but most of America can see they're the third best team in the conference at best. Fans are better served with the four best teams making the playoff than they would be by just a pc selection of four conference winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Too bad the Big 12 can't put together a team with a decent record and resume most years and last year OU got in and got completely exposed; they're not really in a position to "shit down" anyone's throat. PSU *won* the B10 conference due to a poorly thought out system of selecting conference title representatives, but most of America can see they're the third best team in the conference at best. Fans are better served with the four best teams making the playoff than they would be by just a pc selection of four conference winners.
    Those aren't even the 4 best though. Michigan would beat Clemson and Washington, as would Wisconsin, and Penn State. It's gonna be Alabama vs Ohio State.

If Penn State should be in over Ohio State, shouldn't Michigan be in over Penn State? And Ohio State over Michigan? Oh wait...

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta admit, I just had flashback's to the last time UW and Alabama in the '87 Sunbowl. Cornelius Bennett was a one-man wrecking crew and harassed Chris Chandler all day.
    I think that was the same year Cornelius Bennett crushed Steve Beuerlein when they played ND.

For all the youngsters

Frankly I think it needs to be 8 and I think you could legitimately have 8 team this year that deserve a shot at it in the end.

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio State
    4. Washington
    5. Michigan
    6. Penn State
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Western Michigan

Yes I know the last two may be a bit weak, but OU did go 10-2, and frankly I think a team from outside of the big boys should have a shot at it if they have an exceptional season like Western Michigan did. Yeah they probably get own by Alabama, but I think the little guy should at least have a shot every now and then.

Those aren't even the 4 best though. Michigan would beat Clemson and Washington, as would Wisconsin, and Penn State. It's gonna be Alabama vs Ohio State.
    False, Wisconsin and Penn St are trash. they are only as high as they are cuz college football as a whole is weak this season and the Big Ten beat each other in a way to keep themeselves high - like how the SEC normally does.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Pretty sure the New York Giants wouldn't have two Super Bowl rings from the last decade if the mentality is what you're describing here. Teams and players get more intense during the playoffs, and they drive to win it all.
    Exactly. Teams that don't get it done in the regular season don't deserve the chance. The 9-7 Giants shouldn't have even been allowed on the field.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Lol, Michigan would NOT beat UW - not sure what world you're living. The B1G got themselves screwed because of the win/loss of Ohio St/Penn St/Mich - if a team wins out then they go - if they don't, then shenanigans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Frankly I think it needs to be 8 and I think you could legitimately have 8 team this year that deserve a shot at it in the end.

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio State
    4. Washington
    5. Michigan
    6. Penn State
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Western Michigan

Yes I know the last two may be a bit weak, but OU did go 10-2, and frankly I think a team from outside of the big boys should have a shot at it if they have an exceptional season like Western Michigan did. Yeah they probably get own by Alabama, but I think the little guy should at least have a shot every now and then.
    I think if the CFP does go to 8, then an outside team should have a serious consideration. I agree with your analysis re Western Mich - they would get killed by AL, but they played well this year and deserve a shot. And who knows - this is college football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think if the CFP does go to 8, then an outside team should have a serious consideration. I agree with your analysis re Western Mich - they would get killed by AL, but they played well this year and deserve a shot. And who knows - this is college football.
    Would be fun to kick off the playoffs with a battle of unbeatens.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio State
    4. Washington
    5. Michigan
    6. Penn State
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Western Michigan

Btw, no way B1G gets three teams while the Pac-12 sits on the sidelines with 1. Colorado or USC would need to be in there - unfortunately, probably USC.

Edit: shoot - maybe not, I was thinking Michigan gets tossed out for USC, but that doesn't work well at all. Also, why the hell is Michigan ranked above Wisconsin? I know Michigan has one more win, but all of Wisconsins losses are to top 10 teams. The whole thing is so screwed up past the top 4 - maybe the CFP Committee dodged a bullet with having to pick just 4 this year.
    Last edited by cubby; 2016-12-05 at 05:42 PM.

Ohio state shouldn't be there, they didn't play saturday, they could have lost (or won) we don't know so thus shouldn't be in. Had they lost the conf championship game they would be a 2 loss team and out, had they won no issue. they failed to get there, so i view it as a loss. Also they are getting an extra week to rest and heal over the other play off teams.

Play offs should model the NFL, win your conference you are in, grab a few extra slots for wild cards and independent schools.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    Ohio state shouldn't be there, they didn't play saturday, they could have lost (or won) we don't know so thus shouldn't be in. Had they lost the conf championship game they would be a 2 loss team and out, had they won no issue. they failed to get there, so i view it as a loss. Also they are getting an extra week to rest and heal over the other play off teams.

Play offs should model the NFL, win your conference you are in, grab a few extra slots for wild cards and independent schools.
    Your idea definitely has merit. However, you're criticizing OSU for having more heal time, but if we move to an 8 game model, some wild card teams won't be conference contenders, and they will have extra heal time.

Your idea definitely has merit. However, you're criticizing OSU for having more heal time, but if we move to an 8 game model, some wild card teams won't be conference contenders, and they will have extra heal time.
    yep but i'm going with the odds that those wild team cards are likely so weak it wont matter much.. and its not perfect far better than the current system of people picking who they like. it also gets away from the OMG we lost a game we are screeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed. (4 teams does this some).
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Btw, no way B1G gets three teams while the Pac-12 sits on the sidelines with 1. Colorado or USC would need to be in there - unfortunately, probably USC.

Edit: shoot - maybe not, I was thinking Michigan gets tossed out for USC, but that doesn't work well at all. Also, why the hell is Michigan ranked above Wisconsin? I know Michigan has one more win, but all of Wisconsins losses are to top 10 teams. The whole thing is so screwed up past the top 4 - maybe the CFP Committee dodged a bullet with having to pick just 4 this year.
    USC had 3 losses as well as Colorado, it would be really hard to put a second PAC 12 team in considering Washington essentially barely made it into the top 4 with only one loss due to strength of schedule. That's why with 8 I would go with the top 5 seeds being conference champs, and then 3 at large where conference affiliation has no bearing. In this years case you would have 3 Big 10 teams, in prior years it probably would have been 3 SEC teams, and others you probably just get two from multiples. Yeah occasionally you are going to get a Conference champ who probably doesn't deserve to be there, like if Florida had beaten Alabama, but then the at large picks a team like Alabama up.

A team like Western Michigan is my 8 seed, because a system where the rest of the conferences outside of the Power 5 have zero shot is bullshit. Yeah they probably get smoked by a team like Alabama, but then you never know. Some of that may come from the fact I went to school at MTSU, which is Conference USA. They play solid non-conference schools every year, and I think if a team like that can manage going undefeated, then they deserve to have a chance too. Another good example would be a team like Marshall when they had Randy Moss and Chad Pennington or some of those Boise State teams.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    USC had 3 losses as well as Colorado, it would be really hard to put a second PAC 12 team in considering Washington essentially barely made it into the top 4 with only one loss due to strength of schedule. That's why with 8 I would go with the top 5 seeds being conference champs, and then 3 at large where conference affiliation has no bearing. In this years case you would have 3 Big 10 teams, in prior years it probably would have been 3 SEC teams, and others you probably just get two from multiples. Yeah occasionally you are going to get a Conference champ who probably doesn't deserve to be there, like if Florida had beaten Alabama, but then the at large picks a team like Alabama up.

A team like Western Michigan is my 8 seed, because a system where the rest of the conferences outside of the Power 5 have zero shot is bullshit. Yeah they probably get smoked by a team like Alabama, but then you never know. Some of that may come from the fact I went to school at MTSU, which is Conference USA. They play solid non-conference schools every year, and I think if a team like that can manage going undefeated, then they deserve to have a chance too. Another good example would be a team like Marshall when they had Randy Moss and Chad Pennington or some of those Boise State teams.
    If the CFP goes to an eight team playoff, I couldn't agree more with you. Giving non-Power-5 teams a shot would be the right thing to do - and again, college football - anything can happen.

I also agree with you about USC and CO. Re UW, I think the "strength of schedule" argument doesn't fly at all - UW had a strong conf schedule and non-conference games, that are considered "tough", are hard to come by. Nobody is lining up tough pre-conf games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heisman finalists: http://www.espn.com/college-football...amed-finalists
    Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and receiver Dede Westbrook, Michigan linebacker Jabrill Peppers and Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson were announced as Heisman Trophy finalists on Monday night, sending a full field to New York for the ceremony on Saturday night.
    Interesting to see a defensive player in there again, but I figure Lamar Jackson is easily gonna get it.

If the CFP goes to an eight team playoff, I couldn't agree more with you. Giving non-Power-5 teams a shot would be the right thing to do - and again, college football - anything can happen.

I also agree with you about USC and CO. Re UW, I think the "strength of schedule" argument doesn't fly at all - UW had a strong conf schedule and non-conference games, that are considered "tough", are hard to come by. Nobody is lining up tough pre-conf games.
    Not really, the best teams they played all year was USC who beat them and Colorado who they smoked. Utah and Stanford were ok, but nothing to hang their hat on, the rest of the conference was hot garbage. Their non-conference schedule was a complete joke, possibly one of the weakest in the country with Rutgers, Idaho, and Portland state, thats not even trying. Alabama at least got USC, and Clemson tried with Auburn. Ohio States was laughable as well. You can get at least one game of the 3 thats somewhat tough, sheesh.

Washinton had one the weakest Strength of Schedules in the entire country, let alone in the top 4.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2016-12-06 at 09:35 AM.

At least we can all agree that the system is flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.