Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/25...cess-pipeline/

" In 1980, the Supreme Court affirmed a Court of Claims ruling and awarded $106 million to the Sioux tribes for the illegal seizure of the Black Hills. “A more ripe and rank case of dishonorable dealings will never, in all probability, be found in our history,” the court said. But the Sioux rejected the money and continue to seek the return of the land."

I think it has to do with the money accruing interest since it hasn't been collected, but couldn't find the exact figure of how much the money is now.
    if they didnt accept the money then they get nothing. you cant reject payment then force it later with interest. nice try though. even if we took more land make no mistake that is now USA land.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think your reasoning skills seems to be lacking, They don't have to accept payment for something that is stolen. That'd be like someone stealing your car and then after they get caught they decide to buy it off of you at a price they get to set if fair. Would you accept that outcome?

Actually that's a piss poor analogy, because this is land that was part of a treaty and given to them, and then later taken and now they want to just pay them off instead of honoring the treaty the US government signed and is now law. So it's more like raping someone and then later paying them off because you feel bad.
    the problem you face is this pipeline, and the existing one are both on private land... not the reservation... but I suspect you already know that.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I think your reasoning skills seems to be lacking, They don't have to accept payment for something that is stolen. That'd be like someone stealing your car and then after they get caught they decide to buy it off of you at a price they get to set if fair. Would you accept that outcome?

Actually that's a piss poor analogy, because this is land that was part of a treaty and given to them, and then later taken and now they want to just pay them off instead of honoring the treaty the US government signed and is now law. So it's more like raping someone and then later paying them off because you feel bad.
    no its more like. you went to war, lost the war. the victors were nice enough to let you live and give you land to live on. later on they found some of this land valuable and took it back. years later they felt bad and awarded you money as compensation. then the money was refused. pretty much end of story right there.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I understand, the engineering will have to keep improving until there is zero leaks.
    Considering the company that was going to install the Keystone XL pipeline wasn't going to use the special pipes that reduce leaks or put sensors in to show that they were having leaks, you no. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pill-detectors

These people put the almighty dollar ahead of safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not how or why the "treaty" was signed. You have some twisted hollywood version of history that simple isn't true.

- - - Updated - - -

Which by law it shouldn't be. It should be native american land, by US government's own admission.
    You'll have to provide something far less nebulous than you said so.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    goes to show there is weak people in charge and if you throw a temper-tantrum you might get your way. its sickening and disgusting, if there was a real problem it should not have been approved in the 1st place. what a waste of money, and like he said it makes others wary of building infrastructure. i hope this horrible precedent has not been set.
    More than 3000 incidents with pipelines since 2010 in the US isn´t a real problem? Damn you americans surely hate your country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    There is no such thing as Native Americans. They do not exist and never did.
    So who are these people living in reservations?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Do you have the link for what the Asst Secretary ACTUALLY said, I'd like to see that.

- - - Updated - - -

Pipeline parallels a current existing natural gas one, additionally, ETP didn't use any eminent domain, they leased the right of way for all the private land they are building on.

- - - Updated - - -

chemical weapons? I need to see a citation for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure that the DAPL pipeline runs from ND to near Patoka, Illinois, but you might want to check that. And I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that no hurricane has ever struck Patoka, Illinois.
    They used eminent domain in both Illinois and Iowa. It doesn't matter if they are running alongside another pipeline (only part of the way), if they still have to restrict someone else's property rights in the process.

10+ Year Old Account
    They get all the way to the reservoir, across "sacred land", and now they need to rethink this....

Just build the damn pipe already. You're going to have to go under the river at one point or another anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    No clue how accurate this guy is but God this video cracks me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2JG7JL6xqA

Keep in mind I have no real opinion on this matter because I haven't researched it at all.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

and liberals hate all protest unless its by...
    Name the last time conservatives protested anything...
    You can't.
    not sure if serious. once you hear the spill has happened you dont drink the water. im sure the company responsible will supply them and make it all better. and that is worst case scenario, most likely nothing ever happens.
    You don't know anything do you about the necessity of clean water...
    If you don't have it, then you can't do anything...it shuts everything down.

Deleted
    I was surprised to see actual "Native Americans" to walk around that site in the news. They even had a tipi and everything.

Where is the cavalry when you need them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I will never understand why so many Americans love to always defend the big corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Where is the cavalry when you need them?
    They showed up earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    On CNN's website, I read that a group of veterans was arriving to support the protesters. Maybe that had something to do with it? Dragging off and handcuffing veterans engaged in protest would look really bad in the news.

Kind of a conflict for right wingers lol.

"Drill, baby, drill" vs "Support Our Troops"
    @TITAN308
    @10thMountainMan

Any comments?
    Not really. Veterans are not a monolithic group. If some wanted to support the protesters, that is their right. I think they are just as wrong as the rest. With regards to the Corps of Engineers decision, I don't know enough to give an informed opinion. They may have decided the bad publicity was not worth the drama. That is just speculation on my part. I'd be really entertained if they just moved the route up river so that it makes zero functional difference, but I don't know if they are planning anything like that.

Hmf...Wiki article

In October 2014, Iowa Governor Terry Branstad "rejected pleas from a coalition of Iowa community and environmental activists who asked him to block plans" and on October 29, 2014 Dakota Access, LLC submitted the project to the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB).

Open House meetings for landowners took place in October 2014 in Illinois. A webinar for Brown and Hancock County, Illinois took place in February 2015. Per filings before the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC), though Dakota Access, LLC still had no definite route and had secured voluntary easements from only nine of 908 Illinois landowners, the company requested the ICC grant it eminent domain. As of 12 March 2014, no documents had been filed with the ICC. and in February 2016, it approved the pipeline. As of February 2016, all state regulators but Iowa had approved the pipeline. In March 2016, Dakota Access said it had secured voluntary easements on 92 percent of Illinois land.

Starting on December 1, 2014, informational meetings in each of the affected counties began taking place, with an official from the IUB, one from PMHSA, and one from Dakota Access, LLC presenting information. Some 350 people showed up for the informational meeting in Fort Madison, Iowa, which "required some crowd control". More than 300 people attended Sioux Center's informational meeting. About 200 people attended in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Some attendees expressed opposition to the pipeline, and many questions remained unanswered at the meeting in Storm Lake, Iowa.

In May 2016, the US Fish and Wildlife Service revoked the approval of an Iowa DNR sovereign lands construction permit in three counties, where the pipeline would cross the Big Sioux River and the Big Sioux Wildlife Management Area; these are historic and cultural sites of the Upper Sioux tribe. Iowa farmers filed lawsuits to prevent the state from using eminent domain to take their land.

----------------------

I found this interesting. And I've never liked "eminent domain" shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    LOL you people are on a roll today

Yeah, doesn't seem like anyone gave a fuck until the vets started rolling in. And of course in this thread we have the usual right-wingers coming out of the woodwork to shit all over people who served just so they can feel superior to someone, anyone, anything. Pathetic but not surprising in the least.
    Again, I am not sure why you are quoting me. I am neither right wing nor do I recall even participating in this thread since it was created? I got some random notification I was mentioned in this thread and here I am.

For the official record I don't give a shit about this pipeline, the Indians, the vets, the police, or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Again, I am not sure why you are quoting me. I am neither right wing nor do I recall even participating in this thread since it was created? I got some random notification I was mentioned in this thread and here I am.

For the official record I don't give a shit about this pipeline, the Indians, the vets, the police, or otherwise.
    I'm not sure why he mentioned me either, all I said about vets is that I thought the ones going there are ill informed.

You have to just remember that Its espe, one if the most partisan posters in this board. He can take a post about video games and transform it into some sort of anti conservative diatribe.

It is entertaining though, when I get a notification saying there's a post of mine being quoted by espe, I get bitty like a child on Christmas morning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I will never understand why so many Americans love to always defend the big corps.
    Its baffling. It seems thats the only form of collective power thats okah. Form a union? Thats corrupt! Government? Mah freeeeedums!!! The irony is the corporation is the most hierarchical fascist intolerant corrupt institution ever devised by man. The slaves accept the values of the masters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    So it seems the company it still planning on building it? Bet they are just going to wait till Trump is in office, always good to have somebody in power who has a share in your pipelines.

Nothing shady about that at all, nope, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    They get all the way to the reservoir, across "sacred land", and now they need to rethink this....

Just build the damn pipe already. You're going to have to go under the river at one point or another anyway.
    Should have just done it north of Bismarck then and had only one crossing not multiple ones.