Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Best player housing was in Ultima Online.

You could customize your house, build different stuff in your house, store stuff in your house.
    You could break in other people houses and loot them, if those people were not careful enough.

Fuck that game was briliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    I honestly do not see the purpose of player house.

The same purpose as almost everything in the game... It's something to keep people busy.

If done right (which is to say, almost nothing like garrisons) it could actually be a great non-character-power time sink activity.

You could kill a boss that drops a couch or something (which could just be a recycled asset of the dungeon design). Some people would love that... And those who don't could sell it on the auction house to those who do. And those buying the AH item would have needed to do something, probably out in the world, to get the gold to pay for that couch, so it helps keep people in the world too.

Garrisons were a totally botched attempt at housing that pulled you into them and made you stay there... In general, housing done right would not do that.

Blizzard already has most of the major art assets and phasing tech to probably pull this off cheaply (as a test), so it is probably worth a try. It's hard to say if they ever will though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    That joke is really old and redundant now to be honest.
    But actually 100% accurate, if not 2 raid tiers, for something as ambitious as housing for an old game like this. If WoW did housing, it'd be something similar to strongholds in SWTOR. WoW isn't capable of doing real housing like UO. Plenty of old opportunities for "hook" items from old raids and dungeons to collect and display.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix View Post
    If Wildstar's player housing is an example of player housing done right, then I really don't think Blizzard should bother with it. Sure it had plenty of customization options, but in the end it served little to no purpose and I lost interest in it within a week.

I'd much prefer a guild hall so I can stumble across my fellow guild mates and friends instead of another Garrison 2.0 where you spend your time in your own personal instance.
    What? It was one of the best parts of WIldstar and I really loved it!
    I'd love to have something like that in WoW.

Engine has nothing to do with it. There was a really really basic version in the Alpha of Vanilla. I imagine had they gone forward with it then they would have expanded upon it. To be honest even if they do it I see them fucking it up some way or somehow making us stay in there all the time like Garrisons.
    Really? Player Housing would be significantly more optional than Class Halls (let alone a major city like Stormwind/Orgrimmar or Dalaran), yet you still see plenty of people in Dalaran and out in the Broken Isles.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Their first crack at it -- garrisons -- didn't work out. It's not that difficult to understand why it doesn't have a high priority. Infinite customization is not their thing.
    I like the concept of Class Halls tbh. It's something I hope stays with the next expansion, whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    As title says I don't understand why Blizzard are dragging their heels regarding player housing... Wildstar despite its many flaws possibly had the best player housing in any MMORPG, hell even WoWs biggest competitors FFXIV and SWTOR has player housing and that's almost universally praised by the players. Instead Blizzard gave us two poor-man's housing in the form of garrisons and class halls that didn't give much if any customization and get abandoned. Player housing could actually be an expansion feature designed to last unlike the garrison, class hall and artifacts that are obsolete a year later.

I find the argument "we don't want people not in the world" argument BS. I would rather a personal hub I can invite friends to, not some class hall surrounded by strangers not even talking! I also don't believe the "WoW doesn't have the technology" argument. Obviously some people aren't interested in player housing like some people aren't interested in PvP or Raiding but it would give us a new form of content to do at endgame be it crafting decor, running dungeons for decor, buying decor, etc!
    Because Blizzard makes social online games. The last thing they want to do is make another place where players will sit in all day and never come out. They want you out in the world questing, running around, etc. Garrisons backfired and had the opposite effect Blizzard wanted.

When we had housing in Daoc everyone sat in their little houses, away from people designing stuff and only came out for events. Sometimes we would hide on purpose until some smartie pants pointed out your fireplace turns on when someone is inside causing smoke to come from the chimney.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I like the concept of Class Halls tbh. It's something I hope stays with the next expansion, whatever it is.
    It's already confirmed Class Halls are Legion only alongside Artifacts

It's already confirmed Class Halls are Legion only alongside Artifacts
    I know, hence why I said concept. Something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

How does player housing prevent people from doing quest for rep?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

15+ Year Old Account
    That joke is really old and redundant now to be honest.
    It's not old. It's the truth. Hell look at Ghostcrawlers interview on the front page. Art assets are one the leading reasons why features never get added. If Blizzard would've given us garrisons with unique buildings for each individual race in WoW then it would've happened at the cost of a raid tier. Strictly due to art. Housing would be the ultimate art sink.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I know, hence why I said concept. Something similar.
    I'm hoping for race halls. I wanna hang out with my Trolls mon!

Or why can't players accept that it isn't necessarily a good fit.
    Garrisons made sense in hostile territory where player housing did not.
    Class order halls make sense also for similar reasons.

Those have been often used as arguments as a poor version, but the reality is they had more reasons to be there.

The problem I see with guild housing/halls is the control element.
    Simply as a shared space there is potential, but there is a huge problem if you get into customisation of a space that lots of people have contributed towards in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Their first crack at it -- garrisons -- didn't work out. It's not that difficult to understand why it doesn't have a high priority. Infinite customization is not their thing.
    I would say the issue with garrisons was less the customisation, but more how much they offered.
    They were something hard to pass up, which again class order halls suffer from.
    Off-Profession accessibility via buildings was too great.
    Mission durations way too short, demanding attention far too often to get a good part of the potential returns.
    Again something class order halls are doing wrong.
    And its progression as gating other content.

Something like that should be more a novelty, than a core requirement for so many other parts.

World quests are I think a step in the right direction away from completely passive missions.
    Though with the pet battle dungeon idea, a souped-up celestial tournament then I wonder if there is room for a simplistic encounter format to be playable through a pet-battle-like UI, where you counter or deal with mechanics using a basic selection of abilities.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-12-05 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

It would be a pretty large undertaking, and Blizzard typically value gameplay over cosmetics. The garrison system was really their big attempt at player housing where they tried to tie a personalised player area into a bunch of gameplay systems. Unfortunately they completely failed to deliver on any of the cosmetic customisation options, and the gameplay elements were balanced so badly that I fear the devs ended up poisoning the well for themselves.

There are lots of really cool ways they could do player housing, and I think WoW certainly has the tech for it, but Blizzard have traditionally undervalued cosmetics and customisation quite a lot in their games. I mean heck, the transmog system is still full of arbitrary restrictions and limitations on what you can do with it even after many years and a complete revamp in Legion. I'm not sure that as a developer they have the understanding and passion to do player housing well, and perhaps they're aware of that themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dahorde View Post
    Why do people CONSTANTLY compare WoW and the things in WoW, to other games...sure similar genre, but other than that they are vastly different in many ways.
    Because combining the best features of several games would be awesome.

Deleted
    Garrison wasn't player housing, it offered zero customization which is the selling point of housing, Garrison was just a profession hub
    It was player housing - the way Blizzard wanted to implement player housing. You can argue how wrong it was, but that was their unique take on it. They wanted to make something "more" than just a house.

It failed rather spectacularly.

So now we have Order Halls, which is the next iteration - and I have to say it works a bit better and it's more transparent.

Personally I don't want a doll house to decorate in WoW and apart from the "customization"-gameplay, I don't really see any other active gameplay with a house.
    I don't think it fits in thematically either - we're supposed to be at constant war (World of Warcraft) - sitting around decorating a house rhymes badly with that "fantasy" in my head.

They don't want to offer us wild customization options, they are very careful about the thematics and art in the game - this is why we don't have armor dyes either

Quote Originally Posted by 4dahorde View Post
    Why do people CONSTANTLY compare WoW and the things in WoW, to other games...sure similar genre, but other than that they are vastly different in many ways.

Player housing works for other games, other games also have a different player base. PLayer housing in WOW is a dumb idea, that is why they say little about it.

It gets old fast and likely a VERY small % of players would ever use it beyond a week or 2. There is little to no reason to spend resources on something the developers do not consider a fit for WoW. WoW does not need player housing, it has done just fine without it. Other games that do have it, have a VERY VERY small player base in relation to WoW, and likely an even smaller % of those players actually use it.

People need to stop comparing things in other games to what WoW has. They are not the same game. WoW is, and will continue to be the most successful online game ever for some time in the future contrary to the "sky is falling" crowd every patch and expansion. Why do they need to use features that other games use? They used something that one of their other games have and people lost their minds over it. (mythic+/D3 rifts)

tl/dr just because some games with a miniscule player base have had success with it, does not mean that WoW needs it. We need CONTENT, things to do, things to kill, gear to get..we DON'T need a phased player housing area.
    i'd be willing to bet more people would use player house over mythic raids and high level mythic+ dungeons...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    The same purpose as almost everything in the game... It's something to keep people busy.

If done right (which is to say, almost nothing like garrisons) it could actually be a great non-character-power time sink activity.

You could kill a boss that drops a couch or something (which could just be a recycled asset of the dungeon design). Some people would love that... And those who don't could sell it on the auction house to those who do. And those buying the AH item would have needed to do something, probably out in the world, to get the gold to pay for that couch, so it helps keep people in the world too.

Garrisons were a totally botched attempt at housing that pulled you into them and made you stay there... In general, housing done right would not do that.

Blizzard already has most of the major art assets and phasing tech to probably pull this off cheaply (as a test), so it is probably worth a try. It's hard to say if they ever will though.
    Well, but why would I hangout in my house. Not only that but seems a awful lot of resources spent in a gimmicky and comestic thing.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

7+ Year Old Account
    Player housing works in other games because it doesn't force you to go to it. Blizzard made the Garrisons in WoD to try and shut players up about it and look at how that went when they tied Legendary quests towards it or free epics. Player housing would do fine in WoW as long as it doesn't put shit like the mission table or other crap in there and make it purely side content. Also housing wouldn't be a core system. What they used from D3 they made core systems along with the shitty RNGfest that was adopted from Ancient Legendaries.

I'd love for them personally to adopt a system similar to Rift or Wildstar. They arguably had the best housing of any MMO despite their other flaws.
    in wildstar the houses are "required" through just like the garrisons because they have a mine and herb garden you can collect free resources from
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Don't care for it, most probably don't.
    I don't want player housing either.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?