LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    how did she get a gun

this is why kids dont need social media
    Why is it so easy to get a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why is it so easy to get a gun?
    I can't. Stop. Both of you. The issue is cyber bullying. The issue is not social media or guns. Those are two completely different topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I don't get is why people are trying to compare a kid that is still developing mentally/hormonally to a fully functioning adult who has had life experience.

Grow a thicker skin my ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    Honestly, who cares? How many other millions of teenagers are there out there that didn't kill themselves over stupid and pointless words? Let's hear that story. Tell us about the millions...probably BILLIONS of teenagers that didn't put a gun to their chest and kill themselves.

Bullying has happened ever since man was a thing and it will happen for the entirety of humanities existence. To think it can be stopped or ended is just as foolish as taking your own life due to words that others have thrown your way.

Words are just that, words. They have no physical component and can't physically harm you. It is literally all in your head when you get "hurt" by words. People can and do arm themselves against this kind of thing, but there are some that don't because they are typically coddled and told that crying over words someone said is acceptable and the person who said these words should be punished. It's just fucking words. They don't mean anything unless you let them and they won't EVER hurt you unless you allow it.

Should these, or any other, kids that "caused" this be punished? Good luck. First you have to find those that did it. Then you would have to prove they did it and even if you could tie an IP to their home, you can still not prove 100% that your suspect was ACTUALLY behind the keyboard sending messages to the victim.
    I care.
    Everyone's life counts. I would prefer to see bullying stopped. How about you?
    We need serious punishment for cyberbullies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something tells me there's more to this than just bullying. Like mental health issues. Also, her "schoolmates" were making fake accounts in her name and photos? The fuck is wrong with some people?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    The police were informed about this and they said they couldn't do anything about it.
    I don't disagree with that being what was SAID, I just don't believe that to be at the very least, the FULL truth. Like I said, if they were putting her picture up on sex ads, and she was a minor, that falls under federal jurisdiction, not the police.

Near the bottom.
    http://www.riseandstand.net/whats-il...er-harassment/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylinn View Post
    What I don't get is why people are trying to compare a kid that is still developing mentally/hormonally to a fully functioning adult who has had life experience.

Grow a thicker skin my ass.
    She was 18 years old. Not 7.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Because how the hell would you enforce that? Force people to take birth control until they get their license? Confiscate unauthorized kids?
    Ehh no nothing quite so melodramatic, I'd say you do it (oh irony) the same way you enforce kids to go to school? No need to shoot the parents if they don't show up, fines and/or community service seems fine. But let's not forget that new parents should want to go to these things, basic things like not hitting kids, how to set limits to behavior etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    I can't. Stop. Both of you. The issue is cyber bullying. The issue is not social media or guns. Those are two completely different topics.
    Why was the gun laid out for her to obtain? Her parents were irresponsible gun owners.

The problem isn't guns, it's gun owners who don't know how to own a gun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Something tells me there's more to this than just bullying. Like mental health issues. Also, her "schoolmates" were making fake accounts in her name and photos? The fuck is wrong with some people?
    People are all like this, only to different degrees.

Teens in puberty usually act like a pack of monkeys when it comes to their feelings of uncertainty and fear of rejection. Easiest way to reassure your position in the group is to pick on the weakest link.

It's very sad, but you can't change human nature. So all attempts to stop bullying will change nothing sadly.

Internet is a privilege, not a right. Can't handle internet bullies/all the issues that comes with it? Don't use it. It always has been like this and will be for a long time.

Not saying bullying is a good thing, but it _always_ has been there since it became widely accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I understand what happened. I know the lengths they went to to harass her.

I'm not advocating they get away with it scott free either.

What I am saying is that NO MATTER what they did or said to her in the end it was her choice to end her own life. And if she had been taught to seek help, ignore what they did, not let it bother her (toughen up), then chances are she would be alive right now.

It is a combination of things that you as a parent need to do to help your kid deal with dickheads out there.

Part of it is getting them used to the fact that people are assholes and that they cannot let it bother them. Another aspect of it is ensuring they know to contact you (the parent), a school official, or anyone else who can help when things start to go overboard. Especially when people go to the lengths those dickheads went.

In the end they were, and still are, online jerks. They are above your average jerk obviously but in the end they are still jerks.
    You're fabricating a scenario that "if X had happened then Y is the result". You can't do that as simply "toughening up" wouldn't have saved her from what happened. Everyone has a breaking point and no matter how much of a tough guy you one can pretend to be, my guess that a teenage girls resides right around being made to look like a whore, receiving calls about being a whore, facing ridicule about being one etc..

But no, you go on keep pretending like you understand the severity of the situation while clearly demonstrating you do not because "toughness".

Good lord.
    Last edited by NYC17; 2016-12-06 at 02:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    You're fabricating a scenario that "if X had happened then Y is the result". You can't do that as Sony "toughening up" wouldn't have saved her from what happened. Everyone has a breaking point and no matter how much of a tough guy you one can pretend to be, my guess that a teenage girls resides right around being made to look like a whore, receiving calls about being a whore, facing ridicule about being one etc..

But no, you go on keep pretending like you understand the severity of the situation while clearly demonstrating you do not because "toughness".

Good lord.
    And I've not argued that people don't have breaking points. But the vast majority of people don't kill themselves. And the vast majority of people face incredible stresses on a daily basis. A good chunk of which you'll never even know about. Yet they don't kill themselves.

In the end it does come down to "toughness". I get you don't like that term. Not sure why though. But either way that is what it comes down to. Your ability to deal with a shitty situation and move on.

I'm sure that you've been picked on and/or deal with some really shitty/stressful stuff in your life yet here you are. Which implies that your mental toughness has been strong enough to get you through all of that.

And I'll explain it again because you don't seem to understand what I mean by mental toughness.

Mental toughness is a combination of things acquired over your life up to any given point. IE: knowing that words are just that. Words. Understanding that you can and should reach out if you are feeling overly stressed or emotionally distraught over something. Getting help > not getting help. Dealing with shitty situations helps build up your ability to deal with future shitty situations. It's very similar to how people train for a physical event IE a marathon. You start out slow and relatively short distances. But you work your way up to being able to run longer and eventually build up speed and endurance. The same applies to your mental endurance.

All of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is what I mean by toughness.

I'm a firm believer that training our kids to be mentally tough has taken a sharp decline in the last 20 years or so. I don't know why either.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

And I've not argued that people don't have breaking points. But the vast majority of people don't kill themselves. And the vast majority of people face incredible stresses on a daily basis. A good chunk of which you'll never even know about. Yet they don't kill themselves.

In the end it does come down to "toughness". I get you don't like that term. Not sure why though. But either way that is what it comes down to. Your ability to deal with a shitty situation and move on.

I'm sure that you've been picked on and/or deal with some really shitty/stressful stuff in your life yet here you are. Which implies that your mental toughness has been strong enough to get you through all of that.

And I'll explain it again because you don't seem to understand what I mean by mental toughness.

Mental toughness is a combination of things acquired over your life up to any given point. IE: knowing that words are just that. Words. Understanding that you can and should reach out if you are feeling overly stressed or emotionally distraught over something. Getting help > not getting help. Dealing with shitty situations helps build up your ability to deal with future shitty situations. It's very similar to how people train for a physical event IE a marathon. You start out slow and relatively short distances. But you work your way up to being able to run longer and eventually build up speed and endurance. The same applies to your mental endurance.

All of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is what I mean by toughness.

I'm a firm believer that training our kids to be mentally tough has taken a sharp decline in the last 20 years or so. I don't know why either.
    A lack of explanation isn't the disconnect here. Its your apparent belief that everyone should, or could handle bullying by simply being mentally "tough". In a fantasy world that's great. In reality, where I choose to reside, its unrealistic and self serving to expect everyone to live up to what you would do. It would be interesting to see you in her position and watch your supposed mental toughness erode quicker than you can comprehend.

Everyone does have a breaking point. The fact you haven't found yours yet is great. But I'm not going to harshly judge a teenage girl who discovered hers was being made to look like a whore and an extended period of harassment and bullying.

"Toughness". The problem with that word is that you don't even know how to apply it properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people should just stay off the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lack of explanation isn't the disconnect here. Its your apparent belief that everyone should, or could handle bullying by simply being mentally "tough". In a fantasy world that's great. In reality, where I choose to reside, its unrealistic and self serving to expect everyone to live up to what you would do. It would be interesting to see you in her position and watch your supposed mental toughness erode quicker than you can comprehend.

Everyone does have a breaking point. The fact you haven't found yours yet is great. But I'm not going to harshly judge a teenage girl who discovered hers was being made to look like a whore and an extended period of harassment and bullying.

"Toughness". The problem with that word is that you don't even know how to apply it properly.
    Sigh.

You understand we are saying the same thing yes?

I'm simply saying it differently. And don't get all snide with your "where I choose to reside" remarks. It makes you look stupid.

Look. You are choosing to ignore all of my points. Which is fine. You tend to do that a lot.

Everyone does have a breaking point. Never debated that. But the VAST MAJORITY of people don't kill themselves when they break. And most people go through a lot heavier shit then some dickheads who make her out to be a whore.

In the end she wasn't mentally tough enough to withstand their shit and to then understand that she should seek help. That's a combination of her fault and those who raised her.

I'm also not judging her. Just making a statement of fact. It's her life. If she wanted end it that's on her. Is it tragic? Absolutely. But it's her decision.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Sigh.

You understand we are saying the same thing yes?

I'm simply saying it differently. And don't get all snide with your "where I choose to reside" remarks. It makes you look stupid.

Look. You are choosing to ignore all of my points. Which is fine. You tend to do that a lot.

Everyone does have a breaking point. Never debated that. But the VAST MAJORITY of people don't kill themselves when they break. And most people go through a lot heavier shit then some dickheads who make her out to be a whore.

In the end she wasn't mentally tough enough to withstand their shit and to then understand that she should seek help. That's a combination of her fault and those who raised her.

I'm also not judging her. Just making a statement of fact. It's her life. If she wanted end it that's on her. Is it tragic? Absolutely. But it's her decision.
    I've addressed your points. You choosing to repeat them ad nauseum doesn't mean I'm required to address them ad nauseum. My supposed snideness stems from truth. I reside in reality. Not some utopia of mental health where all it takes is being "tough" in order to handle every situation. You're welcome to join me. I encourage it. If that makes me look "stupid" then just call me Vyxn. Actually, fuck that. Don't.

Yes, in the end she wasn't "mentally tough" enough to handle the constant onslaught of harassment and bullying. Being made to look like a whore etc...But the fallacy lies in that she could be, or even should have been, in order to go about her life. Not everyone is equal, so holding a teenage girl who suffered months of harassment, sexual and otherwise, to some bullshit standard of "toughness" is entirely self serving and unrealistic.

Yea, she made the decision. However her decision wasn't one made on her own because someone made a comment about her skirt being ugly. It was after what appears to be a long, sustained campaign of harassment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've addressed your points. You choosing to repeat them ad nauseum doesn't mean I'm required to address them ad nauseum. My supposed snideness stems from truth. I reside in reality. Not some utopia of mental health where all it takes is being "tough" in order to handle every situation. You're welcome to join me. I encourage it. If that makes me look "stupid" then just call me Vyxn. Actually, fuck that. Don't.

Yes, in the end she wasn't "mentally tough" enough to handle the constant onslaught of harassment and bullying. Being made to look like a whore etc...But the fallacy lies in that she could be, or even should have been, in order to go about her life. Not everyone is equal, so holding a teenage girl who suffered months of harassment, sexual and otherwise, to some bullshit standard of "toughness" is entirely self serving and unrealistic.

Yea, she made the decision. However her decision wasn't one made on her own because someone made a comment about her skirt being ugly. It was after what appears to be a long, sustained campaign of harassment.
    Well you aren't gonna get it. Which is totally fair. We will agree to disagree. I hope you have a great day!!

Well you aren't gonna get it. Which is totally fair. We will agree to disagree. I hope you have a great day!!
    I get it just fine. I disagree with you and we are most definitely not saying the same thing. At least not past the point where you declare "but she should have been tough".

You have a good one as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get it just fine. I disagree with you and we are most definitely not saying the same thing. At least not past the point where you declare "but she should have been tough".

You have a good one as well.
    I will. Thank you!!!!