Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol, Michigan would NOT beat UW - not sure what world you're living. The B1G got themselves screwed because of the win/loss of Ohio St/Penn St/Mich - if a team wins out then they go - if they don't, then shenanigans.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if the CFP does go to 8, then an outside team should have a serious consideration. I agree with your analysis re Western Mich - they would get killed by AL, but they played well this year and deserve a shot. And who knows - this is college football.
    Michigan would crush Washington, just like what Bama' is gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Ohio States was laughable as well
    Ohio State played at Oklahoma, a top 10 team, and beat them by 3 tds. WTF are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    At least we can all agree that the system is flawed.
    I don't see a problem with the playoff, though if conferences want their championships to matter they may want to take a hard look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Ohio State played at Oklahoma, a top 10 team, and beat them by 3 tds. WTF are you talking about?
    Yep, kicked the face off the BIG 12 champ, while Penn St Correctional lost to the ACC #6.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Michigan would crush Washington, just like what Bama' is gonna do.
    No, they would not. Washington would walk all over them (see what I did there? you make baseless statements, and then I do, and then DISCO!).

The only comparison we have is Colorado. Both teams played CO, UW did better against them overall. Not the best comparison though.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, the best teams they played all year was USC who beat them and Colorado who they smoked. Utah and Stanford were ok, but nothing to hang their hat on, the rest of the conference was hot garbage. Their non-conference schedule was a complete joke, possibly one of the weakest in the country with Rutgers, Idaho, and Portland state, thats not even trying. Alabama at least got USC, and Clemson tried with Auburn. Ohio States was laughable as well. You can get at least one game of the 3 thats somewhat tough, sheesh.

Washinton had one the weakest Strength of Schedules in the entire country, let alone in the top 4.
    You could say the same thing about the B1G conference as well - top few are ok/good and the rest of the conf is garbage. I don't want to get into which conf is "tougher" - that only ends in beer and hotwings fights - so outside of conf is the only real way to look. And yeah, UW could have made better choices. Rutgers was the only decent team, and they weren't, the rest was garbage.

It is tough to schedule "tough" non-conf games though - and it's a risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Temple's Mat Rhule to Baylor. Interesting; hope he can clean up the program.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Heisman finalists: http://www.espn.com/college-football...amed-finalists

Interesting to see a defensive player in there again, but I figure Lamar Jackson is easily gonna get it.
    Peppers is an odd case. He gets so much attention and love, not just from fans, but from opposing players and coaches when in my personal opinion he doesn;t produce all that much in his extra curricular outside of his defensive role.

Michigan tried to use him out of the Wildcat pretty much every game, and there was never any threat that he'd throw it and even his gains on the ground were not that impressive. His special teams play was outstanding, but college special teams are pretty bad in general, and his pure athleticism mostly carried him there.

He's a special player and I'm going to enjoy seeing what he can do in the pros (and how high he gets drafted) but I don't think he has a legitimate claim or shot at the Heisman. Much as I'd love to see defensive players get more recognition for the Heisman, I don't think Peppers is going to be the follow up to the great Charles Woodson.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot to add, I think Lamar Jackson runs away with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I agree, he had Tebow TD numbers but with more yards, he only had one bad game IMHO. Watson beat him on the field but didn't have a strong enough season to take the Heisman from him.

Willie Taggart to Oregon. Excellent hire.

This is why they are going to eventually go to 8 teams. 5 conference champions, 3 at large. Tbh if they dont, I'm arguing to get rid of the championship games if they don't matter.
    I preferred bowl season before this current playoff and before the BCS anyway, tbh. It was fun to never have a consensus champ and persistently argue about who would have beaten who. It was always part of what fueled college football's provincial fanbases. Basketball has always had nuthuggers from nowhere-close who were self-described Kentucky fans or Duke fans or UNC fans UCLA... etc, imo partly because of the existence of the tournament.

All that said, Ohio State has a good resume and the one game they lost had a lot more to do with them giving it away than it being taken from them. I love seeing Franklin succeed at Penn State, and I think longtime fans of either school can live with the result. One team is in the playoff and the other team gets the Rose Bowl against USC. Those are both really good ways to end a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    I preferred bowl season before this current playoff and before the BCS anyway, tbh. It was fun to never have a consensus champ and persistently argue about who would have beaten who. It was always part of what fueled college football's provincial fanbases. Basketball has always had nuthuggers from nowhere-close who were self-described Kentucky fans or Duke fans or UNC fans UCLA... etc, imo partly because of the existence of the tournament.

All that said, Ohio State has a good resume and the one game they lost had a lot more to do with them giving it away than it being taken from them. I love seeing Franklin succeed at Penn State, and I think longtime fans of either school can live with the result. One team is in the playoff and the other team gets the Rose Bowl against USC. Those are both really good ways to end a season.
    And then you would have seasons like this one where you would be going into Bowl Season with Alabama as the Nation Champions already. Yeah it made for some interesting years, it also made for some rather dull ones as well, and frankly some that were 100% wrong.

And then you would have seasons like this one where you would be going into Bowl Season with Alabama as the Nation Champions already. Yeah it made for some interesting years, it also made for some rather dull ones as well, and frankly some that were 100% wrong.
    The current system doesn't completely alleviate that issue anyway. Last year, Ohio State played that miserable game against Michigan State in a freezing windstorm and lost, and nobody thought to even mention them during that following week. Then they came out and beat Michigan to death and suddenly the entire Crimson Tide fanbase and staff was up in arms about how there was no way they can let Ohio State into the playoff.

You could say that Ohio State after the Michigan game last year was the only team that really could play with Alabama, but we'll never know because they didn't play regardless of how things looked.

The current controversies are a lot less soulful and fun, however. If I wanted to watch soulless football wrapped in a lifetime of commercials, I'd turn on an NFL game.

The current system doesn't completely alleviate that issue anyway. Last year, Ohio State played that miserable game against Michigan State in a freezing windstorm and lost, and nobody thought to even mention them during that following week. Then they came out and beat Michigan to death and suddenly the entire Crimson Tide fanbase and staff was up in arms about how there was no way they can let Ohio State into the playoff.

You could say that Ohio State after the Michigan game last year was the only team that really could play with Alabama, but we'll never know because they didn't play regardless of how things looked.

The current controversies are a lot less soulful and fun, however. If I wanted to watch soulless football wrapped in a lifetime of commercials, I'd turn on an NFL game.
    Luckily for the most part its still there. The playoff itself isn't causing the issues you have with it, that's just the greed of the schools and the NCAA seeping through finally.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

But they aren't nearly as bad as the tautological runaround that encompassed pre-CFP football, are they?

Luckily for the most part its still there. The playoff itself isn't causing the issues you have with it, that's just the greed of the schools and the NCAA seeping through finally.
    Unfortunately the two go hand in hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Peppers is an odd case. He gets so much attention and love, not just from fans, but from opposing players and coaches when in my personal opinion he doesn;t produce all that much in his extra curricular outside of his defensive role.

Michigan tried to use him out of the Wildcat pretty much every game, and there was never any threat that he'd throw it and even his gains on the ground were not that impressive. His special teams play was outstanding, but college special teams are pretty bad in general, and his pure athleticism mostly carried him there.

He's a special player and I'm going to enjoy seeing what he can do in the pros (and how high he gets drafted) but I don't think he has a legitimate claim or shot at the Heisman. Much as I'd love to see defensive players get more recognition for the Heisman, I don't think Peppers is going to be the follow up to the great Charles Woodson.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't understand why Peppers is even invited. He isn't even the best defensive player in the Big Ten let alone the country. I think Jackson wins it as well.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

Ooo, Taggart wants Charlie Strong as his DC? That could be real nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a legitimate surprising twist: Applewhite gets the Houston job, not Kiffen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Willie Taggart to Oregon. Excellent hire.
    Dunno, never watched any UYCSFwhatever games. I think the shine is down for Oregon football.
    Per an agent involved in the Oregon coaching search.
    Jeff Brohm got one more year and more money (reported $3.3 million) from Purdue than Taggart received from Oregon (reported $3.2 million). Topping off the thought, Brohm came directly from Western Kentucky; Taggart was there 2010-12. Brohm was making about $800,000 at WKU; Taggart was making around $1.8 million at USF.

And yet Purdue outdid Oregon. How crazy would that have sounded if we said that a few months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Dunno, never watched any UYCSFwhatever games. I think the shine is down for Oregon football.
    Per an agent involved in the Oregon coaching search.
    Jeff Brohm got one more year and more money (reported $3.3 million) from Purdue than Taggart received from Oregon (reported $3.2 million). Topping off the thought, Brohm came directly from Western Kentucky; Taggart was there 2010-12. Brohm was making about $800,000 at WKU; Taggart was making around $1.8 million at USF.

And yet Purdue outdid Oregon. How crazy would that have sounded if we said that a few months ago?
    I'm not sure paying more for a less accomplished HC means Purdue outdid Oregon. This will be a quick turnaround for Oregon. I will be surprised if they don't win 10 games the year after next. In the 2 days Taggart has been with Oregon he has offered 2 of the top prospects in Florida, a top WR for Arizona and went to go meet the top QB prospect in the country (who was a lock to Oregon before Helfrich fucked it up and didn't offer him until he already committed to Alabama. The guy had repeatedly said Oregon was his dream school). He's also offered Charlie Strong the DC position. And while he may not land any of these guys, the aggressive approach is something that has been sorely lacking the last few years.

Then there are the new fans for the team. Tony Dungy, Jim Harbaugh and Oliver Luck all called Oregon to endorse him. Jack Harbaugh said Taggart is hands down the best recruiter he has ever seen. You have casual fans like Damon Stoudamire saying they are now fans. You have NFL players like Richard Sherman saying how good he will be. You have LaMichael James saying he wanted to come back and coach (only half joking he said).

This will be very good for Oregon. And to top it off they are finally taking their assistant coaches seriously. They've allocated at least 4 million for assistants, which would put Oregon in the top 15 in money spent on assistants.

Edit: I'm excited if you can't tell.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2016-12-10 at 12:39 AM.