Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Seen it go both ways, but if one is capitalized it tends to mean byte vs bit. No real standard... and then there's mibibits and gibibits so that drive makers can screw us...
    that is the standard. capital means byte not capital means bit. always...

as far as gibit i've never seen it advertised on any product. plus the number is smaller and less attractive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    that is the standard. capital means byte not capital means bit. always...

as far as gibit i've never seen it advertised on any product. plus the number is smaller and less attractive.
    Gibibyte is what drive makers came up with to claim that 1000 megabytes was a gig'. Actually, what happened was they redefined giga to be 1000 and then came up with gibi to mean 1024, despite that being what giga used to mean.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Problem with google fiber is they are only going to big cities anyway.

Yeah, I would support government stepping in to get good internet to remote places.
    really? you would waste tax payer dollars so some hick in the middle of nowhere can play cs go? are you fucking kidding. i think we have bigger problems to tackle.

really? you would waste tax payer dollars so some hick in the middle of nowhere can play cs go? are you fucking kidding. i think we have bigger problems to tackle.
    You don't want to help poor people? How Republican of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Very little incentive except for the $200B we already gave them to do so. The $200B that they took and gave to shareholders as profit.
    dont be mad, we only tax profit. our government would have little money if companies didnt make money. plus all the jobs they provide that we then tax, payroll tax, social security matching, 401k/retirement plans, pensions, healthcare... people act like huge corporations should only be making a few million each year.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's because the ISP's have very little incentive to improve on their current network plans. Google fiber looked good but I think I read recently that they've halted expansion.
    There is a giant wall of lobbying and corruption at the state and local level that keep ISP monopolies in control for most of the country, If google could not break that wall no one has a prayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's because the ISP's have very little incentive to improve on their current network plans. Google fiber looked good but I think I read recently that they've halted expansion.
    Google is switching to gigabit wireless. More cost effective.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

You don't want to help poor people? How Republican of you.
    you assume somebody living in the middle of nowhere is poor. you always assume they want 100Mb speeds in the 1st place. then lastly you assume i am republican when my posts contradict that pretty hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    My Internet speed test claims 25 mbps, but I rarely see above 4-5 mbps in practice.

This is what happens when companies are allowed to create regional pseudo monopolies by behaving like a cartel.
    hard to believe, where do you live? can you link your speedtest.net

you assume somebody living in the middle of nowhere is poor. you always assume they want 100Mb speeds in the 1st place. then lastly you assume i am republican when my posts contradict that pretty hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow that flew over your head.

Yes, I work with people who live on the outskirts of town that can't get internet without satellite, they're all poor! /s

Wow that flew over your head.

Yes, I work with people who live on the outskirts of town that can't get internet without satellite, they're all poor! /s
    i guess so since its the typical liberal drum beat.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    You should check out the Google fiber fiasco here in Nashville.

The Nashville area is very rocky underneath the top soil so in many places the utility lines have to be strung on poles. GF has been battling Verizon and Comcast over the rights to "move" their infrastructure without consulting them first.

Also, they have caused a few gas pipeline breaks and water main breaks when they DO lay fiber underground.

The last I read, GF was cutting back on their expansion but they are already committed to Nashville and have stated they intend to finish this project off.
    Saw this on reddit yesterday, actually. Because the city is moving to dismiss the lawsuit.
    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/N...e-Fiber-138427

Problem with google fiber is they are only going to big cities anyway. The good news though, like in the city I live near, just the threat of them coming in forced AT&T to crank up their upload/download speed.
    Yep same here.

Timewarner went from a 3mb (my old plan) download to around 30mb now. Whatever the bits are for that I don't remember. Its nice to be able to download between 15mb-30mb depending where I download from.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I see. Well I just did another speed test and apparently it's 50 megabits per second, so I guess my download rate makes sense. I don't pay for this internet either way (it's included in my rent, which is the same as it would be at any other apartment that doesn't provide internet and cable), so it's whatever. Kind of dumb that there are two virtually identical units for this sort of thing that seem like they were designed to be as sneaky as possible.
    or you could understand the world which you live in

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck yes I do. I'd settle for less than that, even.
    I have this:

For $70/mo. It's advertised as 7Mb down, <1Mb up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Also, they have caused a few gas pipeline breaks and water main breaks when they DO lay fiber underground.
    Is the documentation bad or non-existent on the gas pip and water line or is it GF who cant read a map?

Here in Canada its worse.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

I think Australia has it even worse as you are better off sending a pigeon with a USB than uploading it online.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Is the documentation bad or non-existent on the gas pip and water line or is it GF who cant read a map?
    Not sure - maybe it is sub-par contractors they are hiring to do the work?

http://wkrn.com/2016/10/20/water-mai...-of-nashville/

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post...elated-damages

http://wkrn.com/2016/07/30/crew-layi...ille-gas-line/

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    We spent 2 years paying for 100 mbs and receiving only less than 20 mbs until i threatened to cut the cord and they fixed the line from their box to my house and now i get 80+ mbs most of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Saw this on reddit yesterday, actually. Because the city is moving to dismiss the lawsuit.
    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/N...e-Fiber-138427
    On the one hand (GF) I can understand their desire to be able to move lines when they need to.

On the other, I understand AT&T's/Comcast's desire to retain authority on the poles,

The new mayor of Nashville is doing the best she can to placate both sides.

http://wkrn.com/2016/08/17/google-fi...ville-impasse/
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2016-12-06 at 06:10 PM.