Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Because garrisons we're mandatory and our only real hub. Player housing would purely be optional and just cosmetic, no profession, no AH, no quests JUST a house with a mailbox and perhaps a garden to relax in between gaming

- - - Updated - - -

The houses and items are already in the datafiles, all Blizzard would need to do is add a instance and UI.
    I doubt they would just push in whatever they had been experimenting on. Garrisons started as something simple that wouldn't be mandatory and look what happened, they ended up making it a center peice of the expansion. I just don't see how people think we wouldn't repeat the exact same things. I'd rather try for something new that didn't help create the worst expansion ever. WoW needs more MMO world content, not more RPG solo content.

EQ2 player housing made me moist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how dismissive supporters are when people compare player housing to garrisons.

Blizzard has never implemented a feature EXACTLY the way the community imagines it. Everything ever added to the game has what I like to call the "WTF Blizzard Element". There is no reason to suggest that player housing, if implemented wouldn't also have this "WTF Blizzard Element" its that totally awesome idea that would be perfect... if not for that one thing.

In any case both Garrisons and our Tiller Farms in MoP are in part examples of what we might see out of player housing... and you guys hate them. Why add player housing... if added it will be done according to how Blizzard envisions it, NOT how players envision it, and chances are YOU will hate it. Why? Because you hate everything else... people didn't like pokemon in game (optional), people hated twitter integration (optional), people hated selfie camera (optional), people even hate on the barbershop (optional).

Don't get me wrong have more things to do can be fun... but as a developer you have to look at what the core of your game is. Legion has done that. I think player housing detracts from the direction of get back to what an mmo is.

If you want Warcraft: SIMS edition or SIMS: Warcraft edition. Then perhaps then need to simply make a separate game.

If you buy a solitaire app for your phone or computer, you wouldn't ask the developer to add a minigame too would you? Perhaps new card faces? Would having different card faces make the game THAT much more enjoyable for existing players (maybe some but not enough to justify the development time/cost)? Would it bring MORE players/sales of the game? Minimal if any.

What if we could race our mounts? Like Mario Kart in Warcraft? You see where I am going? Is that warcraft? Does it not detract from what the actual game is about?

In a game, particularly an mmo, more specifically WoW. Players are either driven toward or away from content based on the rewards provided for participating in said content.

If player housing is optional, most players won't participate. If most players won't participate, is it worth spending development time on it? Probably not.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-12-06 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde View Post
    You'd actually be quite surprised how many people would indulge. Chasing after decorations to make their house look cool is something that people will do. It's also something else to drop into the economy. And they could make some extra revenue by dropping decorations into the store.

Especially if they offer more than one player housing unit. People will buy them and chase after decos for them. Multiple MMO's have shown this.
    Yes, I know. But for what use? "Oh yay.. a second home to decorate"
    I dont think Blizzard would ever add it without there being some meaning to it other than hunting for a new type of furniture to put in your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Do you honestly think that's the only reason people stayed there? I'd say it was more the lack of anything else to do because they put so much resources into Garrisons and if PH is even more in depth and customizable, I fail to see how it wouldn't produce the exact same issues. Considering it would take a lot of new art to make it worth it, it just seems like a waste.
    If they stayed consistent and still pushed out outdoor content and other content like m+ for people to do, I don't see any problem with player housing. If they didn't have extreme class overhauls going into the next expansion they'd have plenty of resources to develop housing.

FFXIV doesn't have miniscule numbers and we don't know what SWTOR numbers are now. What evidence do you have only a tiny % would use it? A tiny % did Mythic in WoD yet Mythic is almost 70% end game. WoWs numbers are dropping whilst the competition is growing
    SWTOR is f2p and outside of brief momments before and after major updates still a ghost town on what 8 servers? If WoW has gotten to the point we are seriously comparing what SWTOR does and what WoW should do based on it then its all but over. As a SWTOR player I have never been in housing after the first time just to check it out. It is a complete waste of credits in the game and time for the employees.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    If player housing is optional, most players won't participate. If most players won't participate, is it worth spending development time on it? Probably not.
    Yet both PvP and Pet Battles is optional and totally popular

Quote Originally Posted by runique View Post
    If they stayed consistent and still pushed out outdoor content and other content like m+ for people to do, I don't see any problem with player housing. If they didn't have extreme class overhauls going into the next expansion they'd have plenty of resources to develop housing.
    Those over hauls and other big changes are why people get excited for the expansions. If housing took the place of that they wouldn't need to bother with adding them because not enough people would be around to use them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    SWTOR is f2p and outside of brief momments before and after major updates still a ghost town on what 8 servers? If WoW has gotten to the point we are seriously comparing what SWTOR does and what WoW should do based on it then its all but over. As a SWTOR player I have never been in housing after the first time just to check it out. It is a complete waste of credits in the game and time for the employees.
    I wonder how much $ strongholds actually brought Bioware with the in-game item store

- - - Updated - - -

Those over hauls and other big changes are why people get excited for the expansions. If housing took the place of that they wouldn't need to bother with adding them because not enough people would be around to use them.
    Were pet battles a major expansion feature?

I don't understand and feel bad for people that so badly want a feature that makes you a shut in as part of a game that closes you off from other real things. The mental picture I have of this phobia filled person hiding out in their pixel house while hiding out in whatever dwelling they have is just awful. If they add in housing they should ship a fistful of Xanax with each new expansion also.

Deleted
    I don't understand and feel bad for people that so badly want a feature that makes you a shut in as part of a game that closes you off from other real things. The mental picture I have of this phobia filled person hiding out in their pixel house while hiding out in whatever dwelling they have is just awful. If they add in housing they should ship a fistful of Xanax with each new expansion also.
    I see you ignoring people saying housing would actually insensitive somebody to run dungeons and do achievements for decor and upgrades?

I wonder how much $ strongholds actually brought Bioware with the in-game item store

- - - Updated - - -

Were pet battles a major expansion feature?
    You are the one that said instead of some other feature. Pet battles is also involved with other parts of the game and builds on having pets which has been a part of the game for a decade. So they made something old new and bolstered what it does and allowed you to do it with others. It is also taking a page from other popular games and building the over all WoW appeal. Housing does none of this.

As for strongholds many things you buy are lumped in with other things. People also use these things as a way to buy in game currency so the item isnt the desired thing the credits made on it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet both PvP and Pet Battles is optional and totally popular
    PvP has always been a part of the game.

Pet Battles aren't THAT popular, and totally different from the what the game is actually about.

I see you ignoring people saying housing would actually insensitive somebody to run dungeons and do achievements for decor and upgrades?
    While you ignore the people that would sit in their own sad corner of the internet. Even if it was only after they collected what they could.

Deleted
    While you ignore the people that would sit in their own sad corner of the internet. Even if it was only after they collected what they could.
    People do that now and always have! Be it Orgrimmar, Shattrah, Dalaran, Garrison or Class Hall... Spamming LFR then logging off

Based on observation, class overhauls for legion caused as much disappointment as it did excitement. Classes were neutered and a lot had the skill cap lowered.

Your garrison is your 'house'.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    They also know stuff like this and player housing is against what they want to do, regardless of player demand.
    Blizzard has lost its way long ago, also gives in to player demand, if the fix is easy.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Ahhhhh...but that is JUST that thing that we will see threads about here like "Why should I do it, there is no incentive"
    As well as 'why do I have to run dungeons to collect stuff for my house? I shouldn't be forced to!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    100% optional, not mandatory, purely cosmetic

Reminds me of WoD factions.
    Useless, forgettable, pointless.

But hey, I bet some people would have loads of fun for a few hours.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.