Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

'Hero' NYPD officer in hate crime attack

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38216634

###############################
    A man who New York officials say harassed a woman wearing a Muslim headscarf may have picked the wrong target - an off-duty police officer.

Officer Aml Elsokary, a New York native, was with her son in a Brooklyn neighbourhood when she was threatened with violence.

A man began pushing and shouting at her 16-year-son before telling her to "go back to your country".

On Monday, the mayor of New York praised her service to the city.

"In 2014, she ran into a burning building and helped to save a young girl and her grandmother," Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference.

"And, then, on Saturday, she had to experience a man allegedly yelling at her and her son, 'Go back to your country,'" said Mr de Blasio.

"Well this is Officer Elsokary's country. She is an American. She is a New Yorker. She's already at home."

On Monday, Christopher Nelson, 36, was charged with menacing as a hate crime.

During the attack, he allegedly used an expletive to call the officer a member of the Islamic State group, and threatened to "cut" Mrs Elsokary's throat.

Officer Elsokary explained that she joined the police force after the attacks of 11 September: "I became a police officer to show the positive side of a New Yorker, a Muslim woman, that can do the job.

"I help everybody, no matter what your religion, what's your faith, what you do in New York. I'm born and raised here."

Hate crimes have risen in New York by 35% according to the New York Police Department (NYPD).

The NYPD's Hate Crime Task Force has deemed 43 incidents possible hate crimes since Donald Trump was elected a month ago - more than double the number cases reported during the same period last year.

Mayor de Blasio said that he believes that Mr Trump is partly responsible for the increase in hate attacks, due to his "hate speech" and the "horrible things" he has said about Muslims.

On Monday, a city transit worker wearing a Muslim headscarf was pushed down steps by a man that called her a "terrorist".

Over the weekend, racist graffiti was scrawled on subway trains and white supremacist materials were distributed at a rail station, the New York mayor said.
    #############################

Yeah this is so sad. Judging people by their looks first and not by who they are inside. These hate crimes will only increase with the incoming administration. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they staged some events just to prove that immigrants cannot be trusted just to get their way. It's after all, all lies and deception with these people. Scary scary stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gimmemo View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38216634

Yeah this is so sad. Judging people by their looks first and not by who they are inside. These hate crimes will only increase with the incoming administration. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they staged some events just to prove that immigrants cannot be trusted just to get their way. It's after all, all lies and deception with these people. Scary scary stuff
    What disgusting views you have. But, the person in the story has even worse views. So, I guess you are not the worst person ever, so there is that.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    What disgusting views you have. But, the person in the story has even worse views. So, I guess you are not the worst person ever, so there is that.
    So why are my views disgusting? Just saying the views are disgusting without offering any insight into your wisdom doesn't mean anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how polarized America is at the moment, I feel like this would have been happening regardless of who won.

What's disgusting about the OP's views? Tinfoil hat yes, but disgusting? Care to qualify that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    What's disgusting about the OP's views? Tinfoil hat yes, but disgusting? Care to qualify that?
    I find all these conspiracy theories, and the fake news stories about them, and the fake police reports, about how everyone is secretly racist to be repugnant. He sees this story about a horrible act, and then equates that to the rest of the public. It's disgusting and people like this make me question why I post here.

Staged events like people thought 9/11 was staged just to get all the oil?

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Given how polarized America is at the moment, I feel like this would have been happening regardless of who won.
    Yes I can agree to that. It happens on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

I find all these conspiracy theories, and the fake news stories about them, and the fake police reports, about how everyone is secretly racist to be repugnant. He sees this story about a horrible act, and then equates that to the rest of the public. It's disgusting and people like this make me question why I post here.
    Fake like all the fake new stories that propelled Trump to Presidency on Twitter and Facebook?!! Surprise!! Yeah going back to my point above, all lies and deception. But I will admit it's not like the other side is squeaky clean. They both have lies, but the incoming administration is just way beyond anything that's ever been seen before AND it's encouraging other like minded people to come out of the wood works and disrupt harmony between communities. Not cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It was staged?!!

I find all these conspiracy theories,
    Yep it's definitely one of those.

....... and the fake news stories about them, and the fake police reports, about how everyone is secretly racist to be repugnant. He sees this story about a horrible act, and then equates that to the rest of the public. It's disgusting and people like this make me question why I post here.
    This is a fake police report? The man in question was being racist, so I can only assume when the OP says "they" they mean racists not the population at large. As to posting here, we all need to ask ourselves that question from time to time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmemo View Post
    Yes I can agree to that. It happens on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Fake like all the fake new stories that propelled Trump to Presidency on Twitter and Facebook?!! Surprise!! Yeah going back to my point above, all lies and deception. But I will admit it's not like the other side is squeaky clean. They both have lies, but the incoming administration is just way beyond anything that's ever been seen before AND it's encouraging other like minded people to come out of the wood works and disrupt harmony between communities. Not cool.

- - - Updated - - -

It was staged?!!
    Your view that everyone is a secret racist is disgusting. You are literally implying that either everyone is secretly racist, or that they somehow became racist because a white man was elected president. It's just nonsense.

It's why your party got creamed, if you ask me. Sooner or later, it was bound to blow up in your face. You can't keep telling the majority they are shitty people, then expect them to vote for you.

Racism existed before this election, and unfortunately, it will continue after this president is gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your view that everyone is a secret racist is disgusting. You are literally implying that either everyone is secretly racist, or that they somehow became racist because a white man was elected president. It's just nonsense.

It's why your party got creamed, if you ask me. Sooner or later, it was bound to blow up in your face. You can't keep telling the majority they are shitty people, then expect them to vote for you.

Racism existed before this election, and unfortunately, it will continue after this president is gone.
    It wasn't the majority though. It's kind of hard to argue on any level that a dislike of being called "racist" or a shitty person is justification for these kinds of attacks. Especially after winning the election. Isn't that enough of a message for some people?

I do agree though the implications of racism are thrown around far too often and aren't conducive to any discussion.
    Last edited by xChurch; 2016-12-06 at 08:34 PM.

It wasn't the majority though. It's kind of hard to argue on any level that a dislike of being called "racist" or a shitty person is justification for these kinds of attacks. Especially after winning the election. Isn't that enough of a message for some people?

I do agree though the implications of racism are thrown around far too often and aren't conducive to any discussion.
    I'm not sure I follow your point, or that you followed mine.

The idea that there is some kind of majority of people who are racist, instead of tiny, tiny numbers, is just ridiculous. The notion that people became racist from this election is ridiculous. Dudes being assholes to Muslims is not a new phenomenon post-election. It could not be more silly to imply that it's any different after than before. It could not be more ridiculous to imply this random thing is somehow related to the president-elect.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

Not everyone (you're the one suggesting this not me) and they didn't become racist, they already were. Example right here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/politi...-am/index.html

Richard Spencer's appearance draws ire of Texas A&M officials, students

10+ Year Old Account

Oh, that's poppycock. Nobody's calling "the majority" anything. If you're constantly getting called "racist" or "sexist", maybe you should use some self-reflection rather than lashing out. I'm not a visible minority, so anyone who sees me would think "white dude" (and that's mostly right), and I can't recall a single damned time anyone's called me "racist", other than folks like you on this board pulling the "YOU'RE the REAL racist, for noticing racism!" gag.

Not one time has that been leveled at me. Because I'm not racist, and don't say shit that sounds racist.

And frankly, the assumption that racism is an inevitability is just wrong. Left-handed people used to be denigrated; it's why "sinister" is a word for "bad". The Irish used to be considered subhuman and not-white. This shit is cultural, and it absolutely can be stamped out. If you give enough of a shit as a community to do so.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Oh, that's poppycock. Nobody's calling "the majority" anything. If you're constantly getting called "racist" or "sexist", maybe you should use some self-reflection rather than lashing out. I'm not a visible minority, so anyone who sees me would think "white dude" (and that's mostly right), and I can't recall a single damned time anyone's called me "racist", other than folks like you on this board pulling the "YOU'RE the REAL racist, for noticing racism!" gag.

Not one time has that been leveled at me. Because I'm not racist, and don't say shit that sounds racist.

And frankly, the assumption that racism is an inevitability is just wrong. Left-handed people used to be denigrated; it's why "sinister" is a word for "bad". The Irish used to be considered subhuman and not-white. This shit is cultural, and it absolutely can be stamped out. If you give enough of a shit as a community to do so.
    Thank you Endus, you said it better than I could.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had it happen to me in HS, even got pushed down a flight of stairs while kids were screaming 'go back to your country'... and am white... it would have and it has...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    "WMD" was the reason for that. Funnily enough, Saddam had turned down offers to buy such schematics from Pakistani group, because he thought of it as CIA plot, when it was genuine offers. So they could have had, if Saddam had thought of it legitimate.

I believe that's how Iran got their plans aswell.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-12-06 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

I have never been called a racist, that I recall. You keep trying to push this idea. I'm not sure why.

Last time we discussed this, you seemed to lack the ability to detach the concepts of "self" from "public". We can try again, if you want, I guess.

When media types and politicians rail on about how all Trump supporters, how all Republicans, how all Conservatives, how anyone to the right of their own ideology is racist, it loses it's steam. However, it's dangerous. Look at what it leads to: people assuming racial issues will rise because a person they don't like got elected. It's the intellectual equivalent of throwing crayons at a well thought out idea.

So when I say, "being called racists", I don't mean actually, in person, being called that. I know you are incapable of wrapping your mind around anything but complete literalness, so I don't see this going anywhere. After all, our last discussion was basically: "I don't mean literally"...."You just said literally so you must mean it literal".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I follow your point, or that you followed mine.

The idea that there is some kind of majority of people who are racist, instead of tiny, tiny numbers, is just ridiculous. The notion that people became racist from this election is ridiculous. Dudes being assholes to Muslims is not a new phenomenon post-election. It could not be more silly to imply that it's any different after than before. It could not be more ridiculous to imply this random thing is somehow related to the president-elect.
    Well you seemed to suggest that people like the OP who come off as thinking large swaths of Americans are racist are causing a backlash by "the majority" when the premise just isn't true. A majority didn't vote for Trump, so clearly a majority don't think it was an issue since I doubt it was even at the forefront of a majority of Trump voters minds. It's kind of hard to follow your logic that this is why the Democrats "got creamed" when your base premise is faulty. This "The left thinks everyone is a racist" meme has really gotten out of hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never been called a racist, that I recall. You keep trying to push this idea. I'm not sure why.
    Because you keep speaking on behalf of some supposed majority that faces this issue constantly.

When media types and politicians rail on about how all Trump supporters, how all Republicans, how all Conservatives, how anyone to the right of their own ideology is racist, it loses it's steam.
    This straight-up isn't happening. This is where you go off the rails and start building a false sense of persecution.