Poll: Good chance of war?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will there be a war with Iran?

Trump's National Security Advisor, Michael Flynn: "I believe that Iran represents a clear and present danger to the region, and eventually to the world..." and, “…regime change in Tehran is the best way to stop the Iranian nuclear weapons program.”

Trump’s CIA choice, Mike Pompeo: “The Iranian regime is intent on the destruction of our country. Why the President does not understand is unfathomable.”

Trump’s Defense Secretary, General James Mattis: “The Iranian regime in my mind is the single most enduring threat to stability and peace in the Middle East. ...Iran is not an enemy of ISIS. They have a lot to gain from the turmoil in the region that ISIS creates."
    If you say you're against war but then surround yourself with neocons who make provocative statements about regime change, then who is to be believed?

No and we're not going to war with North Korea either.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Unless things change with Iran, absolutely yes. I'm not saying its going to be tomorrow but if we looked 10 years down the road from now and Iran is still on the same track it has been, war will be inevitable. I doubt though that America will be the one to strike first, it will most likely Israel/Saudi's.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's an enormous question we'll find the answer to in the next couple years. Clearly Trump's plan for some of these tough areas like Iran and China (debatable if China should be) is going to be to carry a big stick and take a more threatening posture to get better deals. Now whether that's just getting better deals through threats and pushing to the limits, or if he actually is more pro-war is what we'll need to find out.

No. USA is not run by bunch of retards. They know what Iran has; a conventional, fully-functioning army as well as Russia and possibly China on their back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    No and we're not going to war with North Korea either.
    Who is "we" dude? No one is going to ask Denmark what the fuck they're going to do. USA has invaded Iraq for no reason. Did they ask Denmark? USA would invade Iran, without taking the permission from mighty Denmark, if they think they could pull this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Look at all the Saudi puppets!
    They get it wrong. SA/Israel engaging in a conventional warfare with Iran is not easiest way to replace the regime/rulers in Iran. It's easiest way to replace the SA royal family and the mindset of Israel. Everyone should take some notes from history that how difficult it is to invade invade countries as big as Iran.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You may be unaware that we just had an election.
    Is it a dictatorship over there? If not, Trump or congress will listen your military/state advisors/bureaucrats.

Deleted
    How much do they get paid by the Saudis?

If things don't change then I think a war between Israel and Iran is very likely, such a conflict would also be extremely difficult for the US to stay out of.

Well if the republicans are successful in ruining the iran nuclear deal then yes maybe.

Can't wait to have more of my countries soldiers die in your wars.

If there's a war with Iran, it will likely be because we were too aggressive in our interventionism. Iran has an oppressive government, but they have meddled far less in international affairs than we have. We have consistently sought to get mixed up in their politics, and it's certainly not because of an altruistic intent. We've already tried forced regime change there, and it ended very badly. The Iranian people are fairly moderate, and starting a war against them would likely make the situation in the Middle East untenable. It would embolden radical Islamic terrorists, and would inevitably lead to constant small-scale attacks on the United States. The war against Iran would last a few months, the fallout would last decades.

Deleted
    I heard Iran is back in the oil game as of late.

It seems to me that Iran needs some american democracy now.

(⌐■_■)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    I heard Iran is back in the oil game as of late.

It seems to me that Iran needs some american democracy now.

(⌐■_■)
    America doesn't even have democracy itself, considering Hillary lost with more votes. Europe should bring some democracy to America.

If Trump does as he claimed he would and pulls out of the anti-nuclear treaty with Iran, Iran would probably restart their nuclear program in relatively short order. This might not immediately mean war, but would lead to increasing tension between Iran and Israel that would (imo) ultimately result in Israel striking Iranian nuclear sites and draw the U.S. into that conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    America doesn't even have democracy itself, considering Hillary lost with more votes. Europe should bring some democracy to America.
    We tried that a couple of centuries ago, it didn't stick. We actually fucked up some perfectly good landscapes in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    If Trump does as he claimed he would and pulls out of the anti-nuclear treaty with Iran, Iran would probably restart their nuclear program in relatively short order. This might not immediately mean war, but would lead to increasing tension between Iran and Israel that would (imo) ultimately result in Israel striking Iranian nuclear sites and draw the U.S. into that conflict.
    Assuming the US lets itself being dragged into one by Israel. I'm not aware of any treaty that say the US has to follow Israel into any aggression. Doesn't mean they wouldn't but, you can say about the US whatever you want, I really don't see anyone dragging them into anything.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-12-06 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    Problem is Iran and Russia are aligning as of late, so Israel will probably not be so quick to strike Iran again, as they once did.

I don't think you'd call a war with Iran a "war", more like a police action.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    We tried that a couple of centuries ago, it didn't stick. We actually fucked up some perfectly good landscapes in the process.

Assuming the US lets itself being dragged into one by Israel. I'm not aware of any treaty that say the US has to follow Israel into any aggression. Doesn't mean they wouldn't but, you can say about the US whatever you want, I really don't see anyone dragging them into anything.
    I suppose anything's possible

it is pretty difficult to imagine a situation where the U.S. doesn't join an Iran/Israeli war though, particularly under a republican administration filled by the sorts of foreign policy people Trump seems to prefer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't think you'd call a war with Iran a "war", more like a police action.
    Iran is far stronger than anything else you've encountered since WW2.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Is it a dictatorship over there? If not, Trump or congress will listen your military/state advisors/bureaucrats.
    Yea... we've been having walk-outs of those people in preparation for a Trump presidency. The Director of National Intelligence just resigned after Trump won, about two dozen top Pentagon officials all indicated they would resign if Trump won - waiting to see about them now.

Suffice to say there has been a disconnect between the Republican Congress desires to warmonger overseas, and the Pentagon advisory level that has built up over the last decade - and now the Pentagon suspects their voice will be even less respected on the subject of war.

There isn't one dictator who reigns supreme over the US - but there is an ideal that is pervading the upper echelons of government at a disturbing rate: that facts are not to be trusted, and experts are the true enemy. That's a tough spot for experts of any stripe to get behind - whether art school academics or five-star generals.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter