Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I said it from the start, now there's proof - Bastion is a female.

http://www.12up.com/posts/4203923-ba...rl?a_aid=41328

Can't argue with the voice lines.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

It's a robot. Male and female make no sense at all for a robot, since they do not possess reproductive organs.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    its a robot of course its not female......

it's a robot
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Is it a huge deal like? boy or girl?

well, its a robot to start with :S

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    It's a robot. Male and female make no sense at all for a robot, since they do not possess reproductive organs.
    Sex is anatomical, gender is mental.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    its a robot of course its not female......
    Zenyatta is a robot, and has an identifying gender of "male", so why can't Bastion be female in the same manner?

Besides, the voicelines make it canon, whether you like it or not.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post

Zenyatta is a robot, and has an identifying gender of "male", so why can't Bastion be female in the same manner?

Guys, my toaster burned the words "Cis Scum" into my toast, have I made a mistake?

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

7+ Year Old Account

ya i don't care if a robot says there male or female there not that's a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    What?
    That's the new definition people are going off of. Too me it focuses entirely too much on what men and women are supposed to be like which is hilarious and ironic seeing as it is most often used by people that combat traditional gender roles...by constantly referencing them...

If gender is identification than gender is meaningless. I identify as me. In regards to Bastion, Bastion is a robot with programming. Like Data in Star Trek, that programming gives it personality characteristics and, yes, self identification. Data is not male. Bastion is not female. They are both robots. However, they both speak and act from that perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

What?
    Exactly what I said.

Gender is an aspect of one's personality and psychological identity - it's mental. Sex is an aspect of one's biology and anatomical structure - it's physical.

People arguing that Bastion can't be female because she lacks humanlike sexual parts are as absurd as if they were to suggest Zenyatta wasn't male because he had no robotic dick.

Zenyatta is male, Bastion is female. They may not be physically, but they clearly are mentally. Not hard to puzzle out. Just because Bastion doesn't look like a Hajime Sorayama pinup, or even just Arcee from Transformers, doesn't mean she can't be a she.

Strange how people are so easily able to accept a fictional entity identifying as male - for example, nobody questions that Optimus Prime is one - but if you say they're female, you are either thoroughly disbelieved or asked for huge amounts of proof if the entity doesn't strongly resemble a human woman...
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 2016-12-07 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    That's the new definition people are going off of. Too me it focuses entirely too much on what men and women are supposed to be like which is hilarious and ironic seeing as it is most often used by people that combat traditional gender roles...by constantly referencing them...

If gender is identification than gender is meaningless. I identify as me. In regards to Bastion, Bastion is a robot with programming. Like Data in Star Trek, that programming gives it personality characteristics and, yes, self identification. Data is not male. Bastion is not female. They are both robots. However, they both speak and act from that perspective.
    I can only wonder in horror what new genders we are gona get in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Strange how people are so easily able to accept a fictional entity as male - for example, nobody questions that Optimus Prime is a male - but if you say they're female, you are either thoroughly disbelieved or asked for huge amounts of proof if the entity doesn't strongly resemble a human female...
    Nobody makes a thread about Optimus Prime being male either. In this case the noun robot is feminine in arabic. You should really be mindful about other cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only wonder in horror what new genders we are gona get in 2017

While I recognize the attack helicopter is a prevalent internet joke, it was made for a reason. There are tens of thousands of individual aspects that make up who I am. I, however, do not identify as tall. Or Irish. Or an insomniac. Or somewhat reserved. Or a visitor to Amsterdam.

Cherry picking certain aspects of what you currently are is just that, cherry picking. Then calling it a gender is laughable, but I digress. This thread is originally about Bastion, not identity politics. For robots like Bastion, it comes down to programming. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

7+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what I said.

Gender is an aspect of one's personality and psychological identity - it's mental. Sex is an aspect of one's biology and anatomical structure - it's physical.

People arguing that Bastion can't be female because she lacks humanlike sexual parts are as absurd as if they were to suggest Zenyatta wasn't male because he had no robotic dick.

Zenyatta is male, Bastion is female. They may not be physically, but they clearly are mentally. Not hard to puzzle out. Just because Bastion doesn't look like a Hajime Sorayama pinup, or even just Arcee from Transformers, doesn't mean she can't be a she.

Strange how people are so easily able to accept a fictional entity identifying as male - for example, nobody questions that Optimus Prime is one - but if you say they're female, you are either thoroughly disbelieved or asked for huge amounts of proof if the entity doesn't strongly resemble a human woman...
    bastion is a robot thats the only reason its not a female

Last time I checked, male and female were words that referred to sex and not gender. If they refer to gender now, then we're running out of words to refer specifically to sex.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    "Bastion is not a girl, it's just how Arabic Language treats non human nouns"
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...st_how_arabic/

Deleted
    Wait, people think Bastion is a girl because Ana is using a feminine phrase against it? Isn't that sexist? Can't girls be masculine and boys be feminine? I swear people don't even know what they argue for any more... Bastion is a robot, as such it has neither sex nor gender.

Deleted
    You can by the fact that arabic refers to "non human" objects as feminine. You're still wrong