Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    That's the new definition people are going off of. Too me it focuses entirely too much on what men and women are supposed to be like which is hilarious and ironic seeing as it is most often used by people that combat traditional gender roles...by constantly referencing them...
    Sure, it's fun to joke about all the crazy shit that Tumblr thinks up. Too many people have tried to hop on this 'I'm special and unique and different labels than everyone else' but I think it is important to realize that there is a reason for the distinction from gender and sex in the first place.

The big problem was that people were (some still are) using biological sex as a determiner of what a person's gender should be. The change in view point is that if the body doesn't match the mind, then you shouldn't force the mind to adapt to the body. From what I understand, this has been shown to cause mental health issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you just assume Bastions (a robot entity) gender by someone else's shout in a language that doesn't specifies pronouns at all?
    That's wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix View Post
    Wait, people think Bastion is a girl because Ana is using a feminine phrase against it? Isn't that sexist? Can't girls be masculine and boys be feminine? I swear people don't even know what they argue for any more... Bastion is a robot, as such it has neither sex nor gender.
    personally I'm offended Ana would just go and assume Bastion's gender like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would Ana know Bastion's gender exactly? I don't think they've had any specific contact in lore. I think for a robot it would really come down to how it sounds or what it wants to be called and since Bastion has no voice it'll probably just continue to be assumed as a male.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even before I saw people pointing out that merely being a sexless/genderless robot would result in female pronouns being used in that language, I thought this was very weak.

Personally, I don't see Bastion as gendered. I see no reason why Bastion would consider itself gendered. I also don't give a damn if Bastion ever were given an official gender. Male, female, attack helicopter, it doesn't matter in the slightest to me. Bastion is Bastion and nothing changes at all regardless of what gender label we assign to it.

That's the new definition people are going off of. Too me it focuses entirely too much on what men and women are supposed to be like which is hilarious and ironic seeing as it is most often used by people that combat traditional gender roles...by constantly referencing them...

If gender is identification than gender is meaningless. I identify as me. In regards to Bastion, Bastion is a robot with programming. Like Data in Star Trek, that programming gives it personality characteristics and, yes, self identification. Data is not male. Bastion is not female. They are both robots. However, they both speak and act from that perspective.
    Data is male, he has a penis and had sex with Natasha Yar, chief security officer when he was drunk from a virus. He both identifies and has the physical male gender. Q the same, he would be male though we would have to assume omnipotent multideminsional beings not limited by time, space, or any other rules we have would also mean gender physically and mentally would not apply. Synths in fallout 4 have gender, any humanoid robot, or android, can have a gender, but it may not necessarily be a requirement for their existence; more often than not because they are derived fat some point from humanity, they have some form of gender identification both physically and mentally/ai. This 'they're just robots' thing will be a real moral issue in the coming future, but can't expect people to deal with sophisticated ai and possible sentience (as Data is proven to be) when people can't even see others who they disagree with or have minor differences physically/mentally from as valuable life forms half the time from being caught in their own head bullshit (be it reps bs dems, sjws vs freedom of speech/expressions advocates, race, religion, country, region, sports team, or any other conjured up divide amongst other humans; not to mention the valuation of other life forms from pets to livestock etc).
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    The big problem was that people were (some still are) using biological sex as a determiner of what a person's gender should be. The change in view point is that if the body doesn't match the mind, then you shouldn't force the mind to adapt to the body. From what I understand, this has been shown to cause mental health issues.
    I suppose that's true to an extent, but not giving a fuck about gender in all situations avoids said mental issues much easier. If you are biologically born one sex but seem to have much more in common with many more people of the other sex, don't worry about it. People shouldn't give a fuck. Honestly. Having everyone worry about everyone's identities despite the fact that you can't know a person's own identity before you meet them is far, FAR more complicated and opens the door for everyone to get offended and see the world as filled with bigots.

If no one gave a shit, there would be a whole lot less gender problems. Actually there would be none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    If no one gave a shit, there would be a whole lot less gender problems. Actually there would be none.
    It is actually the saddest thing of all how much people get worked up on both sides of the fence. It really shouldn't matter that much. Every person is unique, everyone has a right to be themselves, but yet there is this constant vicious cycle of angry people getting angry about people they see as "different" and then people who consider themselves "different" getting angry at the angry people which leads to the angry people getting more hostile which leads to people getting more defensive and aggressive in pushing their views which leads to even angrier resistance, even from people who weren't angry in the first place... it goes nowhere, just gets worse :/

Now we're at the point where you can't even mention the subject without expecting a group of people from either viewpoint to pounce on you.
    Last edited by Leih; 2016-12-07 at 06:51 AM.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    It is actually the saddest thing of all how much people get worked up on both sides of the fence. It really shouldn't matter that much. Every person is unique, everyone has a right to be themselves, but yet there is this constant vicious cycle of angry people getting angry about people they see as "different" and then people who consider themselves "different" getting angry at the angry people which leads to the angry people getting more hostile which leads to people getting more defensive and aggressive in pushing their views which leads to even angrier resistance... it goes nowhere :/

Now we're at the point where you can't even mention the subject without expecting a group of people from either viewpoint to pounce on you.
    I fully 100% agree. Oh gosh you have no idea how much I agree.

I fully 100% agree. Oh gosh you have no idea how much I agree.
    Approximately 100% I would say.

Also for the Zenyatta thing, he's a full omnic so it's different. Bastion still has a base program (that he overcame, but still)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Seems like a good argument in favor of misogyny if true.
    What does? I have no idea what you are talking about

It is a robot....man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm a McCree guy myself so I won't argue.

Quote Originally Posted by ppcool View Post
    It is a robot....man.
    Robot is Czech word and its genderless

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    You can by the fact that arabic refers to "non human" objects as feminine. You're still wrong
    Oh wow, waiting for feminists here. xD

I can't believe I just read something about what sex or gender a robot from a computer game is.

I'm pretty a toilet is refer to as female in french and I wouldn't turn around after a massive shit and say "thanks for that girrrrrrl"

Arguing over Bastions gender because of the pronoun that someone else uses to describe it is about as stupid as seriously wondering if all maritime vessels are actually female simply because thousands of years of maritime tradition has dictated that ships are referred to by female pronouns.........

Honestly Op could you contradict yourself anymore? "Bastion is female" Then proceeds to use the leftists definition of gender and sex all the while not realising Female is referring to sex. So no Bastion is not female but could possibly be a woman. Btw the way gender is heavily influenced by your biological status not just society. This is where leftists get it wrong they think gender is 100% a social construct and fail to realise its a mixture of society, sex, biology, psychology etc etc it's not either or.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Sure, it's fun to joke about all the crazy shit that Tumblr thinks up. Too many people have tried to hop on this 'I'm special and unique and different labels than everyone else' but I think it is important to realize that there is a reason for the distinction from gender and sex in the first place.

The first ever clinic to offer body realignment surgery no longer does, because they've found that the surgery actually causes mental issues.

Also, last I checked, Bastion is barely able to communicate in more than hand gestures and bleeps. Who knows what kind of identity it has. I mean it's a lot closer to an attack helicopter in capabilities than a human.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!